• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 unresponsive controls

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
Ive been playing smash since N64 days
Something Ive noticed in smash 4 is that the controls are horribly unresponsive
Sometime pressing a button does something completely different sometimes pressing a button does absolutely nothing at all
Especially in an online game, trying to perfect shield is pretty much impossible

Am I the only one, am I just too fast for this game or something?
Sometime I go to grab and my character rolls instead, sometimes I go to downtilt and my character smashes instead
Sometimes I press block and absolutely no response what so ever

I have to say this is really making me hate smash 4 more and more
I can not be the only one, is anyone else having this problem more and more?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
...You mean lag? Other than that, I haven't noticed anything of the sort. What controller are you using?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I have not noticed any unresponsiveness, unless there is above average input lag online.

I will say, sometimes my fingers are a little too quick for what the game can handle. So i might input something and get a different result. Especially when I try to SHFF while attempting to move forward or backward. I'll sometimes just SHFF in place.

This has been something that has happened to me in previous games so I don't think its just Smash 4.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
It's sad that people are just pretending this doesnt exist

D

Deleted member

I swear this happens way too often to me (I only play online for now, planning on going to tournaments very soon). Is this also the case for those of you who play in tournaments and such? I play using a Game Cube Controller by the way.

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
If it happens online, its most likely Lag.

Latency is a big factor.

in really laggy matches I've had up to a 3 -4 second input delay.

If everything is fine in offline modes- then you can mostly pinpoint it to Online Lag.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I swear this happens way too often to me (I only play online for now, planning on going to tournaments very soon). Is this also the case for those of you who play in tournaments and such? I play using a Game Cube Controller by the way.
Playing online and then playing locally is going to be night and day for you. To compensate for lag, I think the game tries to see the kind of input you're... well, inputting, and tries to do so accordingly. It may or may not be the case, as lag is a very big factor why preparing for tournaments by going online isn't the greatest.

Also, @ YELLO YELLO , what controller are you using? If it's a GCN controller, check to see if it maybe your adapter or your tv causing input lag. If you have an HD TV or Smart TV, switch it to Gaming Mode and check to see if that will be better for you. If it's wireless, you might have other electronics causing interference which causes inputs not being read properly or not even being performed.

Takezo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
TAISH0U
Everyone here have very good suggestions! ^ o ^

Also if i may suggest using C-sick can cause great problems. If finger is even slightly tilt your C-stick it definitely reduces input in Regular joystick. please be wary inn c-stick use! Solely avoid holding it down when moving friend. ^ _ <

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
I've had way more c-stick problems in this game than in previous games. If my character isn't fully reset (Or something?) then instead of getting the side smash I expect I'll end up just jabbing. I also find myself getting the wrong smash more often than expected (Generally between side/down)

Using the gamecube controller with official adapter, so it's not like the inputs should be so different from Melee or Brawl. It is online that I usually see the problem though, so it could just be poor netcode + lag at fault.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I've had this exact same problem, though it usually only happens during a few Wi-Fi matches. Sometimes, when I input a command, the command will not actually register until several frames later, resulting in many missed attacks and poorly-timed dodges.

Occasionally, the fighter I'm using will roll forwards when I meant to do a forward special attack, or will do a tilt attack when I use the smash stick. Though, it is possible I might have inadvertently tapped another button prior to pressing the desired button. I use the regular classic controller, and its buttons are very pressure-sensitive.

I also had a problem with throwing items, though I found out what I was doing wrong. Sometimes, when I tried to throw mine broken magick tome at someone with the right-stick, I would throw the tome in the opposite direction I meant to throw it. I noticed this always happened when I was running away from the opponent. If you're walking or running forward and you throw an item, the item will always be thrown in the direction you're holding the left stick--so even if you flicked the right-stick in the left direction, if you were running to the right then that's the direction you're going to throw it. After learning this, I practised letting go of the left stick right before throwing the item with the right stick, and sure enough, the problem ceased.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
I use a gamecube control with an adapter but ive tried the wiipad, classic remote, etc its all the same deal
I just dont understand why it will happen in local matches also

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
I use a GameCube controller. During offline play, I've had problems with the C-Stick at the worst times. On rare occasions, I'll move the C-Stick in the left or right direction only for the intended move to go off in the wrong direction, or sometimes the C-Stick will perform a jab or nothing at all.

I've had problems with the grab button as well, mainly when it comes to tethers. When pressing grab in the air, an air dodge is more likely to go before they're likely to fire off their

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you're dealing with display lag.

I have an old HDTV back from the Brawl days, and my Wii U was having horrible display lag with the HDTV, resulting in extremely unresponsive controls. Upon moving my Wii U to my computer room, and connecting to my monitor, there's now no display lag whatsoever, and my controls work flawlessly.

If you're using an old TV or monitor, you might need to get a new one.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

I have an old HDTV back from the Brawl days, and my Wii U was having horrible display lag with the HDTV, resulting in extremely unresponsive controls. Upon moving my Wii U to my computer room, and connecting to my monitor, there's now no display lag whatsoever, and my controls work flawlessly.

Hmm... I never thought of that. The telly I use is a hand-me-down that mine mother bought over twenty years ago. Since it technically still works, albeit with a little distorted colour, I've never bothered to invest in a modern one.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc

I think this is really a stretch. This happens to me all the time. I do a bair as Jigglypuff, then try to do a fair and another bair comes out. Makes no sense cause in some of these cases I'm using the left stick + a. I've literally been moving in the correct direction in the air while throwing out the opposite direction attack without touching the c stick, and it happens all the time. I find this game's controls to be paradoxically both hypersensitive and sloppy. After months with the game one just deals with it as well as one can.

Last edited:

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
I've had horrible input lag using my 3DS (sometimes). At home it's usually just fine but at college or at my friends house there's a solid 4 second delay, it's unplayable. Though this only happens sometimes any ideas what the cause is?
Also I've experienced a slight bit of lag with the Gamepad offline but this is quite rare and only really effects my C-Stick to jab instead of tilt.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
I get jabs with cstick constantly, how is that even possible???

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
Have you set up your controls correctly? Maybe check that just in case.

:231:
of course I have my controls set up correctly... It should be impossible to get a jab with the c-stick considering the c-stick inputs a direction+attack, jab is neutral

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
of course I have my controls set up correctly... It should be impossible to get a jab with the c-stick considering the c-stick inputs a direction+attack, jab is neutral
That hasn't happened to me, so I can't really help, but I'm starting to think it's probably your controller or adapter. Try using it on a friend's WiiU perhaps?

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
That hasn't happened to me, so I can't really help, but I'm starting to think it's probably your controller or adapter. Try using it on a friend's WiiU perhaps?

unfortunately it is not my control or my wii
The c-stick jab issue should not be possible, even with a broken control
try jabbing with the c-stick in melee or brawl, it is IMPOSSIBLE

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
unfortunately it is not my control or my wii
The c-stick jab issue should not be possible, even with a broken control
try jabbing with the c-stick in melee or brawl, it is IMPOSSIBLE
Only ever had this happen in lag. The standard control scheme's c-stick is just a shortcut for :GCN:+:GCA:. The game accepts your inputs and has to transfer them through the internet. Seems like the match does not register the :GCN: part all the time online, especially when there's frame freeze lag. Then it gives you the :GCA: part, which inputs a jab.

Never had this offline and I'm an avid user of a wireless controller, even. Makes me think it's some sort of hardware issue for you.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
lol you guys are hillarious, just admit smash 4 has issues and needs patching

Greda

Smash Journeyman
You're not wrong, this game has some insanely wonky controls.

Jab -> Grab registers as Jab -> Repeated Jab

I flick the C Stick and I dodge (very rare, though).

I try to smash while not moving at all and it comes off as a tilt

I don't get it. It's not lag or hardware defects either. This has happened in:

-Local Matches
-Online Matches
-Both Wii U and 3DS versions
-With GamePad, GameCube Controller, Wii U Pro Controller, and 3DS (In it's respective game and connected to Wii U both)

It's not a welcome change, I'm hoping it gets patched if it can.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
It's lag. Whether online latency, or display lag, or a faulty controller.

If your C-stick is set to "Attack" instead of "Smash", inputting a perfect diagonal will result in a jab. This allows you to do moving N-Airs with the stick. It's an intended feature that adds a lot of depth to a lot of characters.

If you're not set to attack, you can still get C-stick jabs online with the way the C-stick works now, since it charges the smash attack, it's basically shorthand for "Direction+Button, then release button when the stick is released". In an online environment, there's a chance that you're experience packet loss, where the direction the stick is moved is not transmitted over the network, and when you release it, the game doesn't have a direction associated with the action, so it calls the "released A" event without actually starting your charge, resulting in a jab.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I had my fair share of odd inputs with smash 4 the controls can be odd at times.

L337m0j0

Smash Cadet
There is no input issues with smash 4. None. My controller reacts accurately 100% of the time.

I guarantee you 100% that there is something wrong with your setup.

When I set my TV to the 'Vivid' color settings, i get input lag with my consoles (not just wii u) however if I change it to the 'game' color mode, i get no input lag at all. It is PERFECT. This sometimes has to due with the hz of your TV. The 'Game' mode usually sets it to the proper setting.

Either that, or your controller is broken.

If you are online, you probably have really bad internet, or people are using the internet as you play.

Sorry there are no other options why this can be happening.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If I'm not having the same issues as you, then I have no reason to admit there are flaws that do not exist for me. Or am I somehow wrong? I, like you, have played every Smash game from 64 to today, at least at a semi-competitive level. Not having issues outside of WiFi play.

There are lots of things that I could say about what could be causing these issues that lie beyond hardware and software problems and limitations. But I don't want to go there.

D

Deleted member

They really do need to come out with a patch that fixes this issue, it's kind of ridiculous. Not only is the C-Stick problematic, but oftentimes when I try to go for dash/pivot grabs using my left trigger, I get pivot/dash F-tilts instead, even though I don't press any of the attacking buttons. Anyone else have this issue as well? lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
My c stick is set to tilts but it can happen with set to smashes too. If you accidentally input a diagonal direction on the c stick it will be a jab. More prevelant online with input lag.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
They really do need to come out with a patch that fixes this issue, it's kind of ridiculous. Not only is the C-Stick problematic, but oftentimes when I try to go for dash/pivot grabs using my left trigger, I get pivot/dash F-tilts instead, even though I don't press any of the attacking buttons. Anyone else have this issue as well? lol.
That one actually doesn't fall under the criteria of what we're complaining about. While it's stupid, if you turn back before inputting the throw you'll do an f-tilt. To do a pivot grab consistently you have to input the grab just before turning.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Again, if this happens online, it's due to dropped frames. The grab button is actually just a macro for shield+attack. If you lose the button press due to packet loss, but the game registers the button release, it'll release shield and attack, and since you weren't actually shielding, that input is ignored, and it registers the button release of attack, which translates into a tilt (since you're holding the joystick)

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
And you should admit you have issues because you think we are just delusional because we don't have the same issues as you. I sure don't. Wonky things only happen to me Online and in matches with lag. I have no problems with inputs nor in local single player or local multiplayer. And, when on an online match with no lag, it all goes flawlessly. I even play some people from America while in Europe without lag nor control problems. What exactly proves that it is the game and not your set up? I've played from 64 as well (albeit as a child) and have no problems. The C-Stick in this game acts as a jab if you input diagonally. At least if it's set to tilts. Can't remember if it was like that in other games but it's something I don't complain about because it has situations where it is useful.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I will say that they seem a bit more unresponsive on the menu. Like I'll try going to the right and it'll go down. I didn't have this problem in Brawl (it had a similar menu layout) so I dunno.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
yeah it happens to me often on local also. cstick smashes becoming jabs. It always baffled me cause online i figured it was just lag, but offline it did an entirely different attack that wasnt even put on the controller setup. i wonder if this was ever brought to the developers attention at all

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562
Hey guys I think zero made a video about the C stick issue a while back. If you map the c stick to tilts rather than smash attacks it fixes it (sucks I know). I'll edit this post with the video when I get home.

Staticky

Smash Cadet
If you crouch and C stick it will use your crouch+a. Something is majorly wrong with ur setup. Smash 4 is THE most responsive Smash ive played, havent played 64 tho.

nOPE™

Smash Rookie
Here’s something I noticed and it’s annoying, try this:

1. Disable jumping with the control stick.

2. In game hold up on the control stick.

3. While holding up flick you thumb from the jump button (assuming its X or Y) to the A button.

Sometimes you will do up smash which is weird because you are holding the left control stick up as if you were going to tilt. This only happened is you press the jump button AND the attack button – hitting jump first and flicking your thumb to the A button. This doesn’t happen if you hold up and simply hit A of course.

Basically, I was trying to do short hop Uairs and this was the result sometimes.

Top Bottom