• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
I've been working on a list like this for a while. It's a demo list + Lucina, because she is a clone with a few changes that have already been said, so I think we know how she plays well enough to guess.

:4zss::4pit::4kirby: / :rosalina::4samus::4greninja::4villager:
:4pikachu: / :4sheik: :4sonic::4olimar:
:4bowser::4dk::4wiifit: / :4luigi::4mario:
:4lucina::4marth::4fox:
:4yoshi::4link:
:4megaman::4littlemac:
:4zelda::'(

I don't think I need to give explanations. This was mostly based off what I've heard the majority of the community thinks.

It's not all that uncommon to bet Rosalina will be close to the top.
#1? Well, I can't agree with that unless people are able to find ways to abuse the Luma mechanic and turn her into a monster.
Things have changed, and my list has changed a bit.
Also, I'm going to add characters we haven't fully seen in action because I can. Still going to stay away from guessing Palutena and Miis due to default confusion and how we don't know if custom moves will be involved in tiers/competitive play/etc.

:rosalina::4sheik::4zss:
:4kirby::4diddy: / :4pit::4villager::4metaknight::4greninja: / :4sonic::4olimar::4pikachu::4bowser:
:4peach: / :4lucario::4robinm: / :4wiifit::4samus: / :4luigi::4tlink::4yoshi:
:4pacman::4mario::4lucina: / :4dedede::4myfriends:
:4charizard::4falcon:
:4dk: / :4marth::4fox::4littlemac: / :4link::4megaman:
:4zelda:

-blonde trio of doom tier is obvious :p
-Bananas are back, more range, Diddy should be slightly better than his Brawl self who was great
-MK probably won't get changed too much, unlike what many think, but loosing his glide is a big deal, since there will be a finisher on his jab, he mostly just needs lag on his tornado to be balanced, and slightly less air game?
-Is Bowser the new Ike, or is he really top-tier?
-Peach has always been good, looks like she has a new uair too
-Lucario looks like his Brawl self but with his 100%+ gimmick more improved
-I can't say I fully understand how Robin plays, but his fire magic looks slow, and his Levin sword and nosferatu look amazing. Middle?
-Samus isn't as good as Sakurai thinks, sadly. Her bombs don't give as much bounce as Brawl. But that looks to be the only obvious nerf. She has many slight buffs and is overall better.
-Luigi combos for days
-Toon Link got a lot of nerfs but his Zair auto cancel and recovery could keep him high
-Yoshi can jump out of Shield
-Lucina not only has a larger sword, but it's powerful everywhere, Marth's tipper will be pointless on that pathetic dagger :(
-Dedede looks the same
-Ike looks more powerful
-DK isn't as good as people say imo. That recovery is still poop and the roll leaves him vulnerable. He takes longer to charge on his neutral b, his grab range is shorter...he's buffed but not by much
-RIP top tier Marth, you will be missed
-PHIYERR. Ugh. Looks awful. Sounds awful. Please buff... and add Falco.
-He's great on the ground, but how hard will it be to get him in the air and punish him? It may take a lot of its to get him there, but ones it happens he's just done. However, he's able to shrug some attacks, this could lead to positive matchups against every weak combo or aerial-based character. I don't think you want Luigi or Jigglypuff up against him.
-The one thing that had me promised he'd be better was his new up air... but it looks like a nerf almost lol, he's a bit faster but he'll still be bad
-Not so great, sorry, the projectiles won't do anything but give percentage, but for what, what kill move, what combos? His saving grace is his up air, which, if things turn out well for him, could lead to him being much higher.
-Z tier Zelduh... why... why did they nerf her Up Smash so hard? Why is the Phantom so useless? Why has Din's Fire lost range? Why has she lost so much power but only gained some speed? Well, at least I saw her doing some legitamite combos in the air, that feels almost unheard of with Zelda. Her Din's Fire does seem harder to dodge due to it's larger hitbox. And her recovery seems promising, especially if it can be used for combos as easily as I've seen it, and it wasn't just luck. It's not like she has no hope, that's not true, and their not done balancing, that's true too, but at this point she's just not where the other characters are at. She shouldn't of had any nerfs at all, just the buffs, it's not like she was C tier, if she was, that'd make sense. But she was 2nd to last... and we have yet to see Ganondorf... so I feel pretty confident that the bottom is where she belongs until she changes... for the better.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Things have changed, and my list has changed a bit.
Also, I'm going to add characters we haven't fully seen in action because I can. Still going to stay away from guessing Palutena and Miis due to default confusion and how we don't know if custom moves will be involved in tiers/competitive play/etc.

:rosalina::4sheik::4zss:
:4kirby::4diddy: / :4pit::4villager::4metaknight::4greninja: / :4sonic::4olimar::4pikachu::4bowser:
:4peach: / :4lucario::4robinm: / :4wiifit::4samus: / :4luigi::4tlink::4yoshi:
:4pacman::4mario::4lucina: / :4dedede::4myfriends:
:4charizard::4falcon:
:4dk: / :4marth::4fox::4littlemac: / :4link::4megaman:
:4zelda:

-blonde trio of doom tier is obvious :p
-Bananas are back, more range, Diddy should be slightly better than his Brawl self who was great
-MK probably won't get changed too much, unlike what many think, but loosing his glide is a big deal, since there will be a finisher on his jab, he mostly just needs lag on his tornado to be balanced, and slightly less air game?
-Is Bowser the new Ike, or is he really top-tier?
-Peach has always been good, looks like she has a new uair too
-Lucario looks like his Brawl self but with his 100%+ gimmick more improved
-I can't say I fully understand how Robin plays, but his fire magic looks slow, and his Levin sword and nosferatu look amazing. Middle?
-Samus isn't as good as Sakurai thinks, sadly. Her bombs don't give as much bounce as Brawl. But that looks to be the only obvious nerf. She has many slight buffs and is overall better.
-Luigi combos for days
-Toon Link got a lot of nerfs but his Zair auto cancel and recovery could keep him high
-Yoshi can jump out of Shield
-Lucina not only has a larger sword, but it's powerful everywhere, Marth's tipper will be pointless on that pathetic dagger :(
-Dedede looks the same
-Ike looks more powerful
-DK isn't as good as people say imo. That recovery is still poop and the roll leaves him vulnerable. He takes longer to charge on his neutral b, his grab range is shorter...he's buffed but not by much
-RIP top tier Marth, you will be missed
-PHIYERR. Ugh. Looks awful. Sounds awful. Please buff... and add Falco.
-He's great on the ground, but how hard will it be to get him in the air and punish him? It may take a lot of its to get him there, but ones it happens he's just done. However, he's able to shrug some attacks, this could lead to positive matchups against every weak combo or aerial-based character. I don't think you want Luigi or Jigglypuff up against him.
-The one thing that had me promised he'd be better was his new up air... but it looks like a nerf almost lol, he's a bit faster but he'll still be bad
-Not so great, sorry, the projectiles won't do anything but give percentage, but for what, what kill move, what combos? His saving grace is his up air, which, if things turn out well for him, could lead to him being much higher.
-Z tier Zelduh... why... why did they nerf her Up Smash so hard? Why is the Phantom so useless? Why has Din's Fire lost range? Why has she lost so much power but only gained some speed? Well, at least I saw her doing some legitamite combos in the air, that feels almost unheard of with Zelda. Her Din's Fire does seem harder to dodge due to it's larger hitbox. And her recovery seems promising, especially if it can be used for combos as easily as I've seen it, and it wasn't just luck. It's not like she has no hope, that's not true, and their not done balancing, that's true too, but at this point she's just not where the other characters are at. She shouldn't of had any nerfs at all, just the buffs, it's not like she was C tier, if she was, that'd make sense. But she was 2nd to last... and we have yet to see Ganondorf... so I feel pretty confident that the bottom is where she belongs until she changes... for the better.
God damn I don't think marth will be top tier but he certainly won't be that bad

andimidna

Smash Master
God damn I don't think marth will be top tier but he certainly won't be that bad
*gulp* I hope...
I'm currently maining Brawl Marth atm, and he's very fun and impressive, but so much of him looks worse now, and with almost everybody else only improving, he's bound to slide down the ranks even more dramatically that he would if, you know, he got his nerfs and everybody else stayed the same.
And well, even Ken said he was bad.
Some of this is observation, some is just what I've heard... so maybe some of this is wrong, but here
Nerfs/bad things include:
-shorter sword (lots of uproar complaining about this...)
-slower (running and attacks)
-slow jab + no finisher
-heavier/faster fall (like Roy)
-tipper hitbox is smaller, harder to hit perfectly
-forward tilt is less powerful?
-no chain grabs (his throws used to be so weak that these were possible, and very useful)
-Fair is slower and has more lag (there's been a lot of uproar about this one too...)
-down tilt range is awful
-no short hop double fair (I heard this was removed from eveybody tho, not just Marth, but it was always very useful for Marth and Toon Link mains especially, so this isn't a good for him at all)
-lacking reliable KO potential he used to have (Dancing Blade seems to kill less? Eh, probably just the wide screened demo, nothing big here)

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
I havn't been able to get my hands on the game yet, but based on what I've seen I'm just taking a guess:
(No particular order)
S: :4samus::4bowser::rosalina::4palutena:
A: :4dk::4metaknight::4sheik::4tlink::4lucina::4zss::4kirby:
B: :4pikachu::4pit::4mario::4villager::4greninja::4marth::4robinm::4peach::4dedede::4falcon::4diddy::4sonic:
C: :4link::4myfriends::4yoshi::4wiifit::4olimar::4charizard::4megaman::4luigi::4lucario::4fox:
D: :4pacman::4zelda::4littlemac:

:4samus:- Sakurai did state that Samus was the strongest character during development I'm pretty sure.
:4bowser:- Looked amazing in every match he was in. Plus he just looks beast now.
:rosalina:- Looks like she'll be a definate threat in competetive and casual play if one masters her. Combos with Luma could be deadly.
:4palutena:- Up there because of what I saw in her reveal trailer.

:4dk:- I heard Donkey Kong had been improved a bit.
:4metaknight:- I know he has only be revealed, but it's Meta Knight. He's bound to be great.

:4sheik:- From what I saw, Sheik looks like she's been buffed a bit, mainly in strength.
:4tlink:- Didn't see a lot of footage, but he was good in Brawl.
:4lucina:- Clone of Marth, though her sword is bigger in width for extra strength.
:4zss:- Jet boots give her a massive buff in my opinion. Plus she won the Invitational so she's bound to be good.
:4kirby:- Ditto for Kirby. Though he didn't win, he made it to the finals. Aside from the tourney, he seems stronger and the hammer got a buff.

:4pikachu:- Didn't see a lot of footage, but was alright in previous titles in my opinion.

:4pit:- Not too sure on his new moves. I think getting rid of his ability to fly would've weakened him quite a lot. But his Final Smash does make up for it.
:4mario:- An all-arounder, so he's in the middle.
:4villager:- Seems okay attack wise. Final Smash doesn't seem that good, but still better than some.
:4greninja:- Pretty speedy and seems quite strong. A bit similar to Sheik in my opinion.
:4marth:- Since Lucina is a clone and she's a newcomer, she'll probably be better than Marth.
:4robinm:- Moveset seems quite complicated, which could irritate some players.
:4peach:- She has never been bad, and there wasn't a lot of footage so this a guess.
:4dedede:- Guess.
:4falcon:- Was nerfed in Brawl, so not sure of how he'll do now. FALCON PAAWWNCH. *ahem*
:4diddy:- I wasn't a big fan of him, but he was good in Brawl.

:4sonic:- People say he has been nerfed a bit.

:4link:- Sakurai has never had a soft spot for Link, has he? Still seems quite weak, basically the Brawl Link again.

:4myfriends:- Strength isn't everything, so Ike's lack of speed could rank him low.
:4yoshi:- Guess. But he seems to have a few buffs according to the direct.
:4wiifit:- Not a fan of the Sun Salutation. Can leave her open for attack, but her Final Smash seems great.
:4olimar:- I think limiting the Pikmin to three this time has weakened him. I don't use Olimar, so I don't know if this is good or not.
:4charizard:- I don't think he was that good in Brawl. He was a powerhouse, but I hope he just gets buffed a bit.
:4megaman:- Guess. But he's third-part, he's bound to be good like Sonic and Snake were.
:4luigi:- A lot like Mario, but I think Mario has more of a stable moveset than Luigi.
:4lucario:- Semi guess. I don't think he was that good in Brawl.

:4fox:- Has apparently been nerfed a lot. And if Zelda can beat him one on one, he really isn't that good anymore. Though this could depend on the player's skill, they still said that they mained Fox and Zelda in previous installments.

:4pacman:- Not a fan of that fire hydrant move. Could be time consuming and useless, but we havn't seen a lot of Pac-Man.

:4zelda:- On the bottom yet again. Zelda basically sucks still. She has been nerfed too much from her Brawl state, which was nerfed from her Melee state. Really unfortunate.
:4littlemac:- He may be a terror on the ground, but as Sakurai said himself Little Mac is horrible in the air. This could drastically effect his whole moveset, since he has a terrible recovery and can't defend himself while airborne.
(Some are completely random guesses, but meh)
(Also not being biased. If I was Zelda would be SS :smirk:)
(And this was rushed. Feel free to correct me on anything :p)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Might aswell throw out a guess, will be fun to look back on at least:
Top: :4sheik::4zss:
High::4pikachu::4bowser::4metaknight::4kirby::4pit::4luigi::4lucario::4samus::4greninja::4olimar:
Mid::4charizard::4dk::4peach::4lucina::4diddy::4dedede::4yoshi::4falcon::4tlink::4wiifit::rosalina::4robinm::4mario::4villager::4link:
Low::4sonic::4myfriends::4fox::4megaman::4marth::4pacman::4palutena::4littlemac:
Bot::4zelda:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
S: :4zss::4palutena::rosalina::4diddy::4samus:
A: :4sheik::4greninja::4pikachu::4metaknight::4kirby::4dk::4wiifit:
B: :4lucario::4fox::4marth::4link::4bowser::4mario::4lucina::4charizard::4megaman::4pit::4robinm:
C: :4tlink::4falcon::4dedede::4myfriends::4peach::4olimar::4littlemac::4villager:
D: :4yoshi::4sonic::4pacman:
E: :4zelda:

S tier explanation: Zero Suit Samus looks really strong, hardly changed much from her Brawl self who was already great. I view her doing even better this time around.
Palutena has amazing range and probably a lot of tools to really make a great character, even if custom moves will be prohibited.
Rosalina might need a time to really develop her metagame, but eventually she will end up being real strong: kinda like :jigglypuffmelee:.
Diddy will probably remain quite a 'balanced' top tier character, as he was in Brawl. Meaning he'll have a lot of 50/50 matchups, but his strong ground game with bananas and increased range plus his combo game will probably still make him dangerous.
Samus has received a lot of strong buffs all around, and could potentiall be one of the campiest characters again. I think her missiles might be fixed in the final version, making her even more dangerous.

A: Sheik seems to have a real great ground game, and she has always been great at ranking up damage quickly plus she has two projectiles now and better recovery.
Greninja seems a solid character all around, probably being much like Zero Suit Samus in Brawl in tier placing.
Pikachu was always a great character and his QAQ is back - this character won't do bad in no Smash game keep this in mind.
Meta Knight will receive nerfs, but will remain a Knight of supreme powers in the Metagame. :smirk:
Kirby had received nice buffs it seems and will probably be a real good characters many will pick up because he's easy, like in Smash 64.
Donkey Kong is just real ****ing strong, and gets bigger, faster, and stronger in each Smash game it seems! He's got approach options now, better aerials, an aerial Down B and will probably not fear chain grabs anymore. But he'll probably suffer from being easy to combo and edgeguard limiting his potential.
Wii Fit Trainer seems like she'll be able to combo nicely but will need a lot of room for her Deep Breathing so that could potentially limit her on some stages. Still, she'll probably have good match ups all around.

I'll edit this post later if I feel like it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
A: :4dk:
Donkey Kong is just real ****ing strong, and gets bigger, faster, and stronger in each Smash game it seems! He's got approach options now, better aerials, an aerial Down B and will probably not fear chain grabs anymore. But he'll probably suffer from being easy to combo and edgeguard limiting his potential.
I'll edit this post later if I feel like it.
Did you have the DK Rap in mind when you made this? :p Not to mention "he's the first member of the DK group!"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai has had the DK Rap in mind in every game regarding to buffs to DK. Seriously, he's stronger, faster and bigger in each and every Smash game. He'll probably be heavier this time to, cause that has also been a trend since Melee.

andimidna

Smash Master
New info! Yes!
Also, I was too hard on Marth. Even though all the news we're getting is still bad news, he's still Marth.

:4palutena::4robinm:/:4zss::4shulk::rosalina::4sheik:/:4peach:
:4villager::4metaknight:/:4pikachu::4bowser::4olimar:/:4kirby::4greninja::4pit:
:4lucario::4sonic::4wiifit:/:4tlink:/:4marth::4lucina::4diddy:
:4charizard::4samus:/:4dedede::4luigi::4mario::4yoshi:
:4falcon::4littlemac::4fox:/:4myfriends::4pacman:
:4dk::4link::4megaman:/:4zelda:

Different placement is mainly based off Zipzo's descriptions.
Still hard to guess, but I want to see how close I can get to what it actually ends up being.

Also, RIP Diddy's 2nd banana.
The cute trio of top tier Brawl characters after banned MK have been nerfed.
Diddy lost 1 banana.
Olimar lost 3 Pikmin.
And the Ice Climbers lost 2 Climbers :c

EDIT: I've taken some things into consideration that people have commented on this list and changed it slightly, but not enough to want to make an entirely new post:

:4palutena::4robinm::4shulk:
:4zss::rosalina::4sheik:/:4metaknight::4peach::4pikachu:/:4bowser::4kirby::4pit:
:4villager::4greninja:/:4olimar::4lucario:/:4samus:
:4marth::4lucina:/:4dedede::4diddy::4wiifit:/:4sonic::4tlink::4charizard:
:4luigi::4mario::4yoshi:/:4myfriends::4fox:/:4dk::4falcon::4littlemac:
:4link::4zelda::4pacman::4megaman:

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
New info! Yes!
Also, I was too hard on Marth. Even though all the news we're getting is still bad news, he's still Marth.

:4palutena::4robinm:/:4zss::4shulk::rosalina::4sheik:/:4peach:
:4villager::4metaknight:/:4pikachu::4bowser::4olimar:/:4kirby::4greninja::4pit:
:4lucario::4sonic::4wiifit:/:4tlink:/:4marth::4lucina::4diddy:
:4charizard::4samus:/:4dedede::4luigi::4mario::4yoshi:
:4falcon::4littlemac::4fox:/:4myfriends::4pacman:
:4dk::4link::4megaman:/:4zelda:

Different placement is mainly based off Zipzo's descriptions.
Still hard to guess, but I want to see how close I can get to what it actually ends up being.

Also, RIP Diddy's 2nd banana.
The cute trio of top tier Brawl characters after banned MK have been nerfed.
Diddy lost 1 banana.
Olimar lost 3 Pikmin.
And the Ice Climbers lost 2 Climbers :c
Samus, Lucina and Bowser should be higher and honestly Pac-man should probably be lower. Imo Pac-Man is gonna be BAD

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Reasoning for each? :p
Sakurai claimed samus was the best character in the game, this is the guy who'd making it
Lucina is essentially brawl marth from what I can see without having to rely on the tipper which will probably end up being a good thing
Bowser is Bowser
And pac-man just looks incredibly average, he's said to be pretty slow and he doesn't really have much that'd make him good, I'd probably switch him and link tbh

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Top: :4robinm::rosalina::4zss::4shulk::4bowser::4palutena::4kirby:
High: :4metaknight::4greninja::4diddy::4olimar::4lucina::4villager::4wiifit::4pikachu::4sheik::4pacman::4lucario::4dedede::4peach:
Mid::4pit::4samus::4littlemac::4dk::4sonic::4luigi::4link::4tlink:
Low:
:4fox::4falcon::4megaman::4marth::4charizard::4mario:
Bottom::4myfriends::4yoshi::4zelda:

These are my guesses, yes I know that's a lot of High Tiered characters but I'm optimistic this game will bring a lot of those with the buffs and variety of playstyles introduced. I'd be willing to elaborate but I don't really feel like it xD

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Zelda is not the >WORST< character... She's received nothing but buffs according to the people who played the final version today. As a Zelda player, it was obvious to me that she was buffed from Brawl even in the demo when I used her, but hearing people say what has changed since then today, makes it seem like they've given her MORE buffs. People just jump on the bandwagon and say 'Zelda will suck again' with really no true proof or reasoning.
If anyone objects, I will GLADLY list her buffs.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Dumb Speculation:
SS: :drmario::4olimar::4bowser::4yoshi:
S: :4robinm::4shulk::4palutena::4zss:
A: :4pikachu::4pacman::4olimar::4mii::4dk::4charizard::4tlink::4wiifit:
B: :4zelda::4metaknight::4littlemac::4mario::4lucario::4sheik::4villager:
C::4sonic::4fox::4myfriends::4peach::4greninja::4kirby::4link::4lucina::4luigi::4marth::4megaman:
D::4falcon::4dedede::4diddy::rosalina::4pit:
E::4samus: "And the most powerful character is Samus!"

Totally thought this through

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think Shulk's got potential to be a high-tier. He seems to have very little lag for his attacks, and his Monado Arts can literally change his play style on the go, so he could change to Speed to get away in a pinch, and Shield to protect himself from launching at higher percentages. :4shulk: I think he's going to be my secondary.

Redcard

Smash Cadet
Didn't Zip or D1 or someone say that Link was going to be strong this game? I would move him at least to mid tier.

andimidna

Smash Master
Sakurai claimed samus was the best character in the game, this is the guy who'd making it
Lucina is essentially brawl marth from what I can see without having to rely on the tipper which will probably end up being a good thing
Bowser is Bowser
And pac-man just looks incredibly average, he's said to be pretty slow and he doesn't really have much that'd make him good, I'd probably switch him and link tbh
Samus:
While Sakurai said she was the most powerful in the demo, I have yet to see anybody that got a good amount of time with the E3 demo agree with this. I specifically remember threads on the Samus sub-forum popping up that day hoping he'd realize this wasn't true and give her more buffs. Also, this was the demo. I imagine that if he thought she was the most powerful character in the demo, he'd nerf her later. This is all pretty assumption-based. As I'm don't remember anything significant about her changes at E3. And I haven't heard anything about Samus in the new demo, it's like nobody played as her. All I remember hearing at E3 was her down special was worse than before, but most of her physical attacks were buffed in strength and speed, and her mobility was better. I could see this going either way.

Lucina:
I hope she's better. I want to main her. But since she's the cloniest character in the game, I can't see her anywhere except right next to Marth. And for the first time, I'm thinking Marth might be better than her. She has a longer sword that hitsthe same throughout it, but from what I've heard, although the tipper is harder to use due to less range, it's also more rewarding. Her landing lag seems to be almost nonexistent, but that's becoming true for many character's moves. Marth was never a laggy character to begin with. And also, while her speed is faster, his apparently is too. So I'm not sure how much of a big deal her pros are. Also, we haven't really seen her fight outside of her trailer. (The leak had Smash Run stat changes)
I hope we get to see her counter soon, apparently Marth's can kill.
Anyways, I could see her being better than Marth still, but I can't see them both being much higher.

Bowser:
Ike vs Ike was the final round of the first Brawl tournament, and look at where he ended up. I think Bowser will be much better off than Ike but he's still Bowser, so he's still slow, and doesn't have a projectile. It's only a matter of time before more and more people get used to his new attacks, and can easily dodge and wreck. Rangers will have no problem with him, I'm willing to bet. I think he'll get shrek'd by Shulk, and Palutena. Combo based character with weaker attacks like Luigi, Mario, Sheik, and Sonic could have some trouble though. Also, inferior heavyweights like DK too. I think he'll be high, but just because a character wins a tournament doesn't make them automatically OP. I wonder how hard it really is to dodge that dropkick. I think people just need to get used to it, that's why it was so affective. Unlike DK's roll, which people didn't even need to get used to because it was barely useful.
So, he could be higher, depends on how his opponents may or may not be able to adapt to his changes, but I don't expect him to be any higher than Peach or Rosalina.

Pac-Man:
I heard him compared to G&W, who was decent in Brawl, and that he had large hitboxes. But yea, apparently he's slow and looks pretty quirky. I don't see much use in the fruit move yet, looks like it takes a while... I can't really tell. I don't know, yea, maybe I'll move him down a bit more. I don't know much about him. I don't think his recovery gets much air though... yea.

Zelda is not the >WORST< character... She's received nothing but buffs according to the people who played the final version today. As a Zelda player, it was obvious to me that she was buffed from Brawl even in the demo when I used her, but hearing people say what has changed since then today, makes it seem like they've given her MORE buffs. People just jump on the bandwagon and say 'Zelda will suck again' with really no true proof or reasoning.
If anyone objects, I will GLADLY list her buffs.
She got more buffs? Yes, please list them! :0
I want to be able to play as Zelda again!

Last edited:

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
let's take a random educated guess. (Pac Man better not turn out bad:()
Based of E3 demo and videos i watched:
S-Tier::4greninja::4kirby::4zss::rosalina::4bowser:
A-Tier: :4shulk::4tlink::4sheik::4samus::4lucario::4metaknight::4olimar::4pikachu::4villager::4diddy:
B-Tier::4luigi::4wiifit::4dk::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4robinf::4marth::4lucina::4peach:
C-Tier:4mario::4yoshi::4megaman::4sonic::4link::4fox::4pit::4falcon:
D-Tier :4littlemac::4myfriends::4dedede:
F-Tier: :4zelda: (Sorry Zelda)

Not sure where to put:4mii:, as a different class of Mii could be in a different tier.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Samus:
While Sakurai said she was the most powerful in the demo, I have yet to see anybody that got a good amount of time with the E3 demo agree with this. I specifically remember threads on the Samus sub-forum popping up that day hoping he'd realize this wasn't true and give her more buffs. Also, this was the demo. I imagine that if he thought she was the most powerful character in the demo, he'd nerf her later. This is all pretty assumption-based. As I'm don't remember anything significant about her changes at E3. And I haven't heard anything about Samus in the new demo, it's like nobody played as her. All I remember hearing at E3 was her down special was worse than before, but most of her physical attacks were buffed in strength and speed, and her mobility was better. I could see this going either way.

Lucina:
I hope she's better. I want to main her. But since she's the cloniest character in the game, I can't see her anywhere except right next to Marth. And for the first time, I'm thinking Marth might be better than her. She has a longer sword that hitsthe same throughout it, but from what I've heard, although the tipper is harder to use due to less range, it's also more rewarding. Her landing lag seems to be almost nonexistent, but that's becoming true for many character's moves. Marth was never a laggy character to begin with. And also, while her speed is faster, his apparently is too. So I'm not sure how much of a big deal her pros are. Also, we haven't really seen her fight outside of her trailer. (The leak had Smash Run stat changes)
I hope we get to see her counter soon, apparently Marth's can kill.
Anyways, I could see her being better than Marth still, but I can't see them both being much higher.

Bowser:
Ike vs Ike was the final round of the first Brawl tournament, and look at where he ended up. I think Bowser will be much better off than Ike but he's still Bowser, so he's still slow, and doesn't have a projectile. It's only a matter of time before more and more people get used to his new attacks, and can easily dodge and wreck. Rangers will have no problem with him, I'm willing to bet. I think he'll get shrek'd by Shulk, and Palutena. Combo based character with weaker attacks like Luigi, Mario, Sheik, and Sonic could have some trouble though. Also, inferior heavyweights like DK too. I think he'll be high, but just because a character wins a tournament doesn't make them automatically OP. I wonder how hard it really is to dodge that dropkick. I think people just need to get used to it, that's why it was so affective. Unlike DK's roll, which people didn't even need to get used to because it was barely useful.
So, he could be higher, depends on how his opponents may or may not be able to adapt to his changes, but I don't expect him to be any higher than Peach or Rosalina.

Pac-Man:
I heard him compared to G&W, who was decent in Brawl, and that he had large hitboxes. But yea, apparently he's slow and looks pretty quirky. I don't see much use in the fruit move yet, looks like it takes a while... I can't really tell. I don't know, yea, maybe I'll move him down a bit more. I don't know much about him. I don't think his recovery gets much air though... yea.

She got more buffs? Yes, please list them! :0
I want to be able to play as Zelda again!
I'm too busy to type all her buffs right now (there is a lot) but you can go to her buffs thread, it's in the Zelda forums. Everything is listed for you there.
let's take a random educated guess. (Pac Man better not turn out bad:()
Based of E3 demo and videos i watched:
S-Tier::4greninja::4kirby::4zss::rosalina::4bowser:
A-Tier: :4shulk::4tlink::4sheik::4samus::4lucario::4metaknight::4olimar::4pikachu::4villager::4diddy:
B-Tier::4luigi::4wiifit::4dk::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4robinf::4marth::4lucina::4peach:
C-Tier:4mario::4yoshi::4megaman::4sonic::4link::4fox::4pit::4falcon:
D-Tier :4littlemac::4myfriends::4dedede:
F-Tier: :4zelda: (Sorry Zelda)

Not sure where to put:4mii:, as a different class of Mii could be in a different tier.
-sigh- Zelda in her own 'f' tier? She's been buffed. Why do people ignore this and expect her to stay like Brawl Zelda?

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
@ ihskeyp ihskeyp Again, I was just taking a guess. Zelda is probably higher, I just don't have reasonable judgment at the time with the game not out. This is just a guess.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I feel a little dirty, doing what's basically preseason rankings. But what the hell, it's just for fun.

S: :4zss: :4pit: :4robinm: :rosalina: :4lucario:
A+: :4sheik: :4shulk: :4kirby:
A: :4pikachu: :4dk: :4greninja: :4palutena: :4olimar:
B+: :4samus: :4bowser: :4metaknight: :4lucina: :4mario:
B: :4villager: :4dedede: :4diddy: :4peach:
B-: :4fox: :4marth: :4link:
C: :4wiifit: :4charizard: :4tlink: :4sonic:
C-: :4megaman: :4falcon: :4pacman: :4luigi:
D: :4zelda: :4yoshi: :4myfriends: :4littlemac:

(Note: Overall balance is better than in previous games. Distance between the tiers is smaller, and D Tier characters are roughly equivalent to D Tier in Brawl: mediocre or with some glaring weaknesses, but not necessarily bad.)

Details:
To come later. But I know most of these'll end up being dead wrong a year from now anyway. >_>

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
SS: :4palutena::4sheik:
S: :4zss::4robinm::4samus::4bowser::4yoshi::4greninja:
A+: :4shulk::4pit::4falcon::4kirby::rosalina::4mario::4tlink::4lucario::4link::4charizard::4fox:
A: :4diddy::4marth::4olimar::4villager::4dedede::4pikachu::4sonic::4megaman::4wiifit::4lucina:
A-: :4peach::4zelda::4dk::4luigi::4myfriends::4littlemac::4pacman:

In conclusion...everyone is a viable character because of two things: Namco-Bandai and patches.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
All this Kirby at the top speculation is making me excited. I really hope he's that viable.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I feel a little dirty, doing what's basically preseason rankings. But what the hell, it's just for fun.

S: :4zss: :4pit: :4robinm: :rosalina: :4lucario:
A+: :4sheik: :4shulk: :4kirby:
A: :4pikachu: :4dk: :4greninja: :4palutena: :4olimar:
B+: :4samus: :4bowser: :4metaknight: :4lucina: :4mario:
B: :4villager: :4dedede: :4diddy: :4peach:
B-: :4fox: :4marth: :4link:
C: :4wiifit: :4charizard: :4tlink: :4sonic:
C-: :4megaman: :4falcon: :4pacman: :4luigi:
D: :4zelda: :4yoshi: :4myfriends: :4littlemac:

(Note: Overall balance is better than in previous games. Distance between the tiers is smaller, and D Tier characters are roughly equivalent to D Tier in Brawl: mediocre or with some glaring weaknesses, but not necessarily bad.)

Details:
To come later. But I know most of these'll end up being dead wrong a year from now anyway. >_>
I definitely think yoshi should be higher, from what I can see he's gotten some major buffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom