• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In a game like Smash, females shouldn't be added because they're females. Palutena and Rosalina are important, popular Nintendo characters worthy of being in Smash that offer variety to the roster... and happen to be female.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Big deal! Peach and Zelda were planned to be in the original Smash
So you prove my point even further by saying 64 would've had 3 females (not counting Jigglypuff) in 1999, making up about a fifth of the roster if they were added?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
There you have it! We have 3 Female newcomers in this title as opposed to 1 in Brawl.
It's not about the number of females, but the number of females in proportion to the males in the total roster.

If you have a roster of five characters with one female, and a roster of ten characters with two females, the distribution is still the same, even though the number of females increases:

1/5 = 20%

2/10 = 20%

The point is that while there are more female characters in Smash 4, there are also more male (or non-female) characters as well. So the % distribution of females doesn't increase that much in relation to the total roster. That's what the whole issue of representation in media is all about -- the fact that minority groups comprise a substantially smaller % of characters/roles compared to the whole of media and entertainment.

EDIT: I should say that the reason representation is an issue is that minority groups tend to be under-represented in media in a way that is not proportional to the actual size of said group within the larger population.

You know, I'm suddenly interested in breaking down the female character distribution. I'm going to go figure that out and make a post in a bit. 8D

Big deal! Peach and Zelda were planned to be in the original Smash
Got a source? I haven't heard of this.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Bowser, King Dedede, and Mewtwo were the official ones. The others are rumors.
This. I remember hearing about Wolf, but I think he's a rumor as well (I don't know if Sakurai has said anything about Wolf).

Source (near the bottom).

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
You guys have weather? I live in SoCal, so I don't know what that means. It's either Hot, Medium Hot, or Not Hot here. lol. Sometimes we get a cloud, and some weird wet stuff falls out of the sky every once in a while, and everybody crashes into each other on the road.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi
Yo, simmer it down a little, okay?
Yes, rules are a little more lax here, but that kind of posting is still frowned upon. It's childish and easily offending.

Anything beyond that will result in warnings and infractions if your behavior continues that way.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
For fun, here's a breakdown of female distribution in Smash. Since Jigglypuff's sex is ambiguous, I'll showcase percentages with and without including Jiggs as female.

[collapse=Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl]

Smash 64 (12 Characters) = 1/12 (Samus) for 8.333%; 2/12 (Samus/Jiggs) for 16.666%

Melee (26 Characters) = 4/26 (Peach/Zelda/Sheik/Samus) for 15.4%; 5/26 (Peach/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/Jiggs) for 19.2%

Brawl (39 Characters) = 5/39 (Peach/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS) for 12.8%; 6/39 (Peach/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS/Jiggs) for 15.4%

So from Melee to Brawl, the female distribution actually goes down, since only ZSS was added as a female newcomer.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Smash 4]
For Smash 4, we currently have 35 characters. Going purely by confirmed characters, we have the following:

Smash 4 (35 Characters) = 8/35 (Peach/Rosalina/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS/Palutena/WFT) for 22.9%

If we include known alternate female costumes:

Smash 4 (35 Characters) = 13/35 (Peach/Rosalina/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS/Palutena/FemVillager 1/FemVillager 2/FemWFT/FiiMale Brawler/FiiMale Swordfighter/FiiMale Gunner) for 37%

If we presuppose that the final roster will be 50 characters (Gematsu, Snake and Lucas cut, Mewtwo and Jiggs) we'd get the following (both with and without female costumes, and with or without FemJiggs)

Smash 4 (50 Characters) = 8/50 (Peach/Rosalina/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS/Palutena/WFT) for 16%

Smash 4 (50 Characters) = 9/50 (Peach/Rosalina/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS/Palutena/Jiggs/WFT) for 18%

Smash 4 (50 Characters) = 13/50 (Peach/Rosalina/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS/Palutena/FemVillager 1/FemVillager 2/WFT/FiiMale Brawler/FiiMale Swordfighter/FiiMale Gunner) for 26%

Smash 4 (50 Characters) = 14/50 (Peach/Rosalina/Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS/Palutena/Jiggs/FemVillager 1/FemVillager 2/WFT/FiiMale Brawler/FiiMale Swordfighter/FiiMale Gunner) for 28%

So interestingly, thanks to the Villager and Mii Fighters, the technical playable female count goes up by 10%. And Smash 4 is poised to have the largest female to non-female ratio in any Smash game to date. With alternate costumes, female characters will comprise about a quarter of the roster.

Of course, these numbers may change after the roster (and all alternate costumes) are made known to us.
[/collapse]

So yeah. That's certainly a thing I did.

EDIT: Forgot to factor Nana from the Ice Climbers. If I were to factor her in, the percentages for Melee-Brawl-Smash 4 would only go up by a few points, so the general picture still stands. Maybe I'll add Nana in later.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Because 9 in a roster of about 50 compared to 4 in a roster of 25 is so much better.

In case you can't do ratios, that's about the same ratio with only a slight increase generally speaking this game.
It also doesn't help that all of the Pokémon that have been playable in smash thus far, have no defined sex but Mewtwo (no sex), Pikachu (male; female Pikachu's have a heart-shaped tail), and Jigglypuff (female; the bow gives it away), and that a lot of the 5 of the newcomers (I count the Mii Fighters as 3 newcomers) can be either sex.

So out of the 36 characters we have now (including G&W), we have 12 females (including 4 characters who can be either sex) and 3 characters with undefined sexes (Charizard and Lucario, and I guess Yoshi since we don't know if there can be female Yoshi's, thus we cannot assume Yoshi is male or female; heck, they might be asexual).

BTW of the 21 characters that are "male only" characters, we got:
-A circle that eats things (Pac-Man)
-A cyborg boy who is Caucasian and/or Japanese (Mega Man)
-A lighter weight class Caucasian/Filipino boxer (Little Mac)
-A 4-bit black & white doodle man (Mr. Game & Watch)
-A Caucasian angel (Pit)
-A turtle demon with hair (Bowser)
-A talk, walking, space fox (Fox McCloud)
-A miniature yellow electric rodent (Pikachu).
-A giant ape who wears a tie (Donkey Kong)
-A monkey who wears a shirt and a hat (Diddy Kong)
-A super fast hedgehog who has issues swimming (Sonic)
-A humanoid guy who uses plant beasts to fight his battles and is roughly half the size of a Triple A battery (Olimar)
-A 1 foot tall (roughly) penguin with clothes and a mallet that claims to be the King of this place called "Dreamland" (Dedede)
-A 10 inch pink puffball that steals its' enemies powers and resides in a locale called "Dreamland" (Kirby)
-A plump and short Italian plummer (Mario)
-A skinny and tall Italian plummer (Luigi)
-A full grown Caucasian and/or Japanese blonde(-ish) sword-wielding man who wears a green tunic (Link)
-A half grown Caucasian and/or Japanese blonde(-ish) sword-wielding teenage cartoon kid who wears a green tunic (Toon Link)
-A skinny Japanese male who wields a sword and has blue hair (Marth)
-A buff as heck European male with a gigantic sword and blue hair (Ike)
That's not exactly "muh represuntation" with the general population of males.

It sounds like a bunch of fantasy characters actually. It also doesn't help that most of them aren't even freaking human.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So with Miis being in Smash 4, has their been any Joshua (TWEWY) Miss created at in the past anywhere?

The only thing I could find was pretty bad

for some very obvious reasons. >_>

Not that I am expecting something.... fantastic from Mii creation, but is there anything better than what I found? >_>

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
It also doesn't help that all of the Pokémon that have been playable in smash thus far, have no defined sex but Mewtwo (no sex), Pikachu (male; female Pikachu's have a heart-shaped tail), and Jigglypuff (female; the bow gives it away), and that a lot of the 5 of the newcomers (I count the Mii Fighters as 3 newcomers) can be either sex.

So out of the 36 characters we have now (including G&W), we have 12 females (including 4 characters who can be either sex) and 3 characters with undefined sexes (Charizard and Lucario, and I guess Yoshi since we don't know if there can be female Yoshi's, thus we cannot assume Yoshi is male or female; heck, they might be asexual).

BTW of the 21 characters that are "male only" characters, we got:
-A circle that eats things (Pac-Man)
-A cyborg boy who is Caucasian and/or Japanese (Mega Man)
-A lighter weight class Caucasian/Filipino boxer (Little Mac)
-A 4-bit black & white doodle man (Mr. Game & Watch)
-A Caucasian angel (Pit)
-A turtle demon with hair (Bowser)
-A talk, walking, space fox (Fox McCloud)
-A miniature yellow electric rodent (Pikachu).
-A giant ape who wears a tie (Donkey Kong)
-A monkey who wears a shirt and a hat (Diddy Kong)
-A super fast hedgehog who has issues swimming (Sonic)
-A humanoid guy who uses plant beasts to fight his battles and is roughly half the size of a Triple A battery (Olimar)
-A 1 foot tall (roughly) penguin with clothes and a mallet that claims to be the King of this place called "Dreamland" (Dedede)
-A 10 inch pink puffball that steals its' enemies powers and resides in a locale called "Dreamland" (Kirby)
-A plump and short Italian plummer (Mario)
-A skinny and tall Italian plummer (Luigi)
-A full grown Caucasian and/or Japanese blonde(-ish) sword-wielding man who wears a green tunic (Link)
-A half grown Caucasian and/or Japanese blonde(-ish) sword-wielding teenage cartoon kid who wears a green tunic (Toon Link)
-A skinny Japanese male who wields a sword and has blue hair (Marth)
-A buff as heck European male with a gigantic sword and blue hair (Ike)
That's not exactly "muh represuntation" with the general population of males.

It sounds like a bunch of fantasy characters actually. It also doesn't help that most of them aren't even freaking human.
What I got out of this is that we need more non-human(oid) females in Smash.

Lady Bow for Smash 4! 8D

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, what are the chances we'll get another Smash direct closer to the release date? And if we do get one, do you think we'll see as many characters as the last one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom