• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
> This devolution of the topic to one liners and single image posts is making me thirsty, for angry infractions (not really, but plz stop~)

Good afternoon friends. Anyone like the news that the African Union has agreed that all of their member nation's current leaders and high officials are immune to prosecution within their Court of Justice and Human Rights?
Virtually the entire backlog of trials/cases in the Hague's international court are currently leading African presidents/dictators for genocide. Whelp.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/7/1/africa-summit-immunity0.html

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You guys using the same avatar is really jarring.

How many people here are going to be affected by Hurricane Arthur soon?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
> This devolution of the topic to one liners and single image posts is making me thirsty, for angry infractions (not really, but plz stop~)

Good afternoon friends. Anyone like the news that the African Union has agreed that all of their member nation's current leaders and high officials are immune to prosecution within their Court of Justice and Human Rights.
Virtually the entire backlog of trials/cases in the Hague's international court are currently leading African presidents/dictators for genocide. Whelp.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/7/1/africa-summit-immunity0.html
I mean, it's interesting, and it's disgusting, but it's all the way across the world and there's a high chance it will never, ever directly impact my life, so I push it out of my mind. If I tried to guilt myself with all the atrocities happening around the world I'd cut myself to death in the bathtub because this isn't even the worst thing going on out there, and there's a whole bag to choose from.

Trying to get the thread back on topic(thought it was social = any topics?), sure. But did you have to go somewhere so depressing?

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Fine. Excuse me while I get a new avatar. Also, that avatar ain't sucky.
To you. But then again, you're not the guy that's been using the darn thing for almost a month now.

You guys using the same avatar is really jarring.
Try having it. It's not fun that's for sure.

How many people here are going to be affected by Hurricane Arthur soon?
I might be getting it sometime. Because clearly my week didn't suck enough. Now hurricanes are thrown into the mix.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
These things are just sprouting like weeds
So it begins...
The apocalypse is upon us and all we can do is survive.
And our 2 brave leaders are nowhere to be found Shaya and Aerodrome are gone...
All is lost.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It doesn't work when one of you has the Premium banner and the others don't.

Make the infractions out of love. The love for infracting and being angry.

Good afternoon friends. Anyone like the news that the African Union has agreed that all of their member nation's current leaders and high officials are immune to prosecution within their Court of Justice and Human Rights?
Define "like." I think it'd be...dunno, better I guess to hear if said immunity didn't last after the summit.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's alright. I fixed it.
That felt gross.
Trust me, you get used to it.
Then you fall into the stages of grief. I've already passed denial and concern. I'm currently on depression.

It didn't even work when I was the only one with it.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Trying to get the thread back on topic(thought it was social = any topics?), sure. But did you have to go somewhere so depressing?
While ignorance is of the utmost bliss, I wouldn't personally feel depressed about it (although I used to). I guess specifically mentioning any such similar news at this point of time is less oh no and more we knew it was coming. I tend to feel the responsibility one has when you have a good head on your shoulders is to ensure people don't forget or don't ignore such things, as otherwise these governments, nations and leaders would do everything and anything to act as if it never happened. You shouldn't feel guilt for not being able to do anything, and comparing your life scenario to one elsewhere like that is truly dangerous and self defeating.

I can't help but disagree with directly impacting your life. But it's easy to think that a country that far away means nothing. When conflict arises, which it most always does, then suddenly bigger and bigger parties become involved until we're all but Cold War II. For every nation(s) that rejects Western influence (which the African Union is most definitely doing), it leaves them "susceptible" (there is a bias here, forgive; I'm not exactly saying the West is the Best) to other influences that are less accountable.

Oh and the social can be any topic, but that last page has been of below standard quality.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Make the infractions out of love. The love for infracting and being angry.

Define "like." I think it'd be...dunno, better I guess to hear if said immunity didn't last after the summit.
Ok, serious question though, are there rules to posts even in social threads? 'Cause I can't seem to find them anywhere (ok I only looked at the first post). Should we not be having casual discussion? I kinda wanna know the guidelines here.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
What on Earth are you guys talking about?
I must be oblivious or something
EDIT: That got boring faster than I thought it would

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As accurate as that is, I wasn't trying to confuse people with it, I changed my avatar to it cause he said "try it". :4pacman:

Ok, serious question though, are there rules to posts even in social threads? 'Cause I can't seem to find them anywhere (ok I only looked at the first post). Should we not be having casual discussion? I kinda wanna know the guidelines here.
From what I can tell, as long as people aren't one-lining/spamming/"LOOK AT ME AND LIKE MY POST LOL"ing then you can talk about things. I think the preferred topic is Smash 4, but it's not a requirement as long as you're behaving yourself.
Oh and the social can be any topic, but that last page has been of below standard quality.
Must be really low quality then.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Should we not be having casual discussion? I kinda wanna know the guidelines here.
It's a social, but it's not a chatroom. If an entire page is one liners with no substance, that's not what we want here.

We'll be updating the front page a bit, but in general
The GLOBAL RULES APPLY

Just because it's a social, doesn't suddenly mean SPAM IS OKAY.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
She named my starter Carfox, and I just got an Espurr (wanted to name it Patty Wagon) that she made me name Jetlife.
I feel like you should have overrode her vote on Patty Wagon D:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
While ignorance is of the utmost bliss, I wouldn't personally feel depressed about it. I guess specifically mentioning any such similar news at this point of time is less oh no and more we knew it was coming. I tend to feel the responsibility one has when you have a good head on your shoulders is to ensure people don't forget or don't ignore such things, as otherwise these governments, nations and leaders would do everything and anything to act as if it never happened. You shouldn't feel guilt for not being able to do anything, and comparing your life scenario to one elsewhere like that is truly dangerous and self defeating.

I can't help but disagree with directly impacting your life. But it's easy to think that a country that far away means nothing. When conflict arises, which it most always does, then suddenly bigger and bigger parties become involved until we're all but Cold War II. For every nation that rejects Western influence (which the African Union is most definitely doing), it leaves them "susceptible" (there is a bias here, forgive; I'm not exactly saying the West is the Best) to other influences that are less accountable.
Ok, so you were following this news, so you knew it was coming. If I was following the situation in Africa, maybe I'd feel similarly. And I do feel a certain amount of responsibility. I live in a privileged country, I'm part of a privileged demographic, and I'm likely not to face too many hardships in life. There may be things I could do, if I put enough time and effort into it, to impact the situation.

But then I remember the new situation in Iraq with Isis, the country going to **** all over again.

I remember the human rights violations and deathly clouds of smog in Hong Kong.

I remember that Russia is slowly but surely going Hitler on eastern Europe, and we're defaulting to appeasement again because nobody wants a war with nukes, or Russia in general.

And I remember that our own Supreme Court just tied church and state together by allowing business to enforce their religious ideologies on their staff and customers.

If you want to find injustice to worry about in the world, it's easy. The coral reefs, rainforests, and endangered animals are all being systematically destroyed by human greed. There's a lot of tension between more than a few countries all over the world, with several of these countries possessing nukes. There is a substantial part of America that gives the Tea Party not only attention, but votes.

If I try to keep track of all these things, I'll go crazy. I could pick one, maybe two things to keep up with, advocate, try to change, but it'd always be uphill at best, and it'd be a huge time suck. And it wouldn't be me.

So maybe we'll go into a cold war with Africa. Maybe Russia will fire nukes. Maybe Isis will take over Iraq. I hope none of these things happen, I really do. But as you said, " feeling guilt for not being able to do anything, and comparing your life scenario to one elsewhere like that is truly dangerous and self defeating"

And so I ignorantly, and peacefully live my middle class life as a white male in the united states, because that's about as entitled as I can get. I was born damned lucky, and I'm going to take advantage of it, not waste it worrying about disastrous current events that may or may not get worse.

Edit - Rereading that, I feel like I sound like a major ****, but I'm just trying to be brutally honest, I guess. It's not that I don't enjoy discussing tough topics with people, it's that I don't enjoy thinking about them instead of sleeping...

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's a social, but it's not a chatroom. If an entire page is one liners with no substance, that's not what we want here.

We'll be updating the front page a bit, but in general
The GLOBAL RULES APPLY

Just because it's a social, doesn't suddenly mean SPAM IS OKAY.
Well I was just gonna quote what we said last time.
We're mostly trying to avoid posts like these:

i'm a truck
In other words content that serves no purpose other than posting for the sake of posting.
Basically no posting for the sake of it/+1 post count/likes, no one-liners/memes/images/gifs having nothing to do with anything, no harassing other users, etc..

So long as there is an actual topic that isn't spammy (which that one was getting there since it revolved around 2/3 users intentionally tricking people), casual discussion is fine.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How is everyone's Summers going?
I feel like I'll just get lazy and fat waiting for the game to come out in Japan in September. I don't mind spoilers. I don't even consider them spoilers for Smash 4.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly, I don't get Spam.
I mean really, don't you know what they put in it? It's like the mystery meat of canned food. Why would people eat something when they don't even know 10% of the ingredients?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean really, don't you know what they put in it? It's like the mystery meat of canned food. Why would people eat something when they don't even know 10% of the ingredients?
Hotdogs are like that but everyone eats them.
They're made up of everything that people don't want.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
this right here is blaspheme

First off, any food is delicious.

Second off, foods that I am not allergic too are even more delicious, by their rarity.

Third off, spam is a meat, which knocks it up at least two more notches on the delicious scale

And it goes good in anything! Sandwiches! Sushi! Fruit! Chai iced tea!

don't hate and eat spamalot.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Don't they list ingredients? Also, I like spam...it might be an Asian thing though since it has a lot of sodium.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, it depends on the hot dog in question.
Spam on the other hand has no excuse. You can make it whatever you want, but it's still Spam.
Most Hot dogs are made up of stuff butchers can't sell to buyers.
So they mash it all together in a Sausage shape and sells it as hot dog meat.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Don't they list ingredients? Also, I like spam...it might be an Asian thing though since it has a lot of sodium.
Well, it might not be particularly Asian, but my mother (who is Asian) and her friends always find uses for spam in their recipes.
It actually works really well with certain Asian foods because of the sodium, I think.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I feel like you should have overrode her vote on Patty Wagon D:
Well I'm by the Name Rater, but there's that whole deal with "where do I draw the line, is this a one time exception," etc.

I honestly can't rename Carfox anymore since he just evolved. But I feel bad for Jetlife because my sister thinks they look like stoners.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Try some Musabi, it's great

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
And so I ignorantly, and peacefully live my middle class life as a white male in the united states, because that's about as entitled as I can get. I was born damned lucky, and I'm going to take advantage of it, not waste it worrying about disastrous current events that may or may not get worse.
And this is the only thought you have which is dangerous. But it's a normal one.
No I wasn't referring to a cold war with Africa. If I was to put a big red box anywhere in the world right now, it would extend from the baltic (Ukraine) to Georgia, and all the way down to just above South Africa. A big red box who's inhabitants tends to care less and less about what harsh words/"sanctions" from the United Nations (NATO/USA), when the real super powers coming into this century don't care and are more than willing to financially support every nation which the US will not.

Iraq has so many layers. Not only am I fully supportive of the Kurd's self determinism/nationalism, I also sympathise with those of the Sunni faith who have been **** on by Iraq's current President who is now throwing a tantrum over the backlash and the lack of the world supporting his corrupt regime.

For the most part, the borders of the world weren't made naturally. Specifically Europe and West Asia are primarily set by the aftermath of World War I (the dismantling of the Ottoman Empire + "Oh no, RUSSIA"). These decisions were made with completely different perspectives to ones we have now ('oh we don't want Turkey getting that great piece of land even if the entire population is of Turkish culture/language/descent'). It took 100 years but the **** is hitting the fan, and the power brokers originally involved aren't really happy with letting nations (self determined groups of people) decide their own fate in fear of it tipping the scales in a potential "enemies" favour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom