• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
On the subject of clones, I found this:

"This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped.

Could you please leave it to me to select [characters] with man-hours and costs in mind? However you look at it, the game is a great bargain buy as a result."

Masahiro Sakurai (on Clone Characters in Smash)

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-the-clone-characters-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/
I already read that a time ago and I'm seriously not surprised he thinks that.

Seriously, everytime someone mention the clones most people turn into immature spoiled brats that whine over "X" character not being in blaming it on clones.

I've even heard some people have made deth threats on Sakurai's Twitter.

Act like a child, get treated like one.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Seriously, everytime someone mention the clones most people turn into immature spoiled brats that whine over "X" character not being in blaming it on clones.

Act like a child, get treated like one.
Reminds me of someone I know. :4drmario:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Hey, I was at a friend's house and haven't been on all day and I missed stuff.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

If this thing is the lovechild of Dark Pit and Dark Link then I would NOT want to see this happen.
That's more like if Grima, Giygas and Ganondorf conspired together to make a Pit clone.

I think even Dark Pit would freak out over that thing.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681

If this thing is the lovechild of Dark Pit and Dark Link then I would NOT want to see this happen.
Why does... this thing remind me of Jack of Blades?

And Fox' voice sounds more awful every time I hear it. I cry everytime.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I did this out of boredom and thought closely in terms of how Sakurai would think. Dr. Mario (Since I doubt we might get another Dr. Mario), Lucina (Since Awakening doesn't deserve two reps), and Dark Pit (Since he's the most hated of the SSB4 clones) had to be axed to make room for Paper Mario, Medusa, and a Fire Emblem 14 protagonist respectively. Lucas, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and Wolf comes back while Snake will still be left out. I'm still iffy on Ryu and might consider replacing him with a Monster Rancher character or Kasumi. I can tell that Pac and Mega Man might return since he might be the most popular third party additions to SSB4. The Pokemon space is obviously there for however will represent Generation 8 depending on if it's a legendary or starter. And Isabelle is the next "Rosalina" for Animal Crossing, so she might have more priority than Tom Nook during the next round.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
...You think Sakurai would consider Monster Rancher?

You meant Monster Hunter, right?

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher

I did this out of boredom and thought closely in terms of how Sakurai would think. Dr. Mario (Since I doubt we might get another Dr. Mario), Lucina (Since Awakening doesn't deserve two reps), and Dark Pit (Since he's the most hated of the SSB4 clones) had to be axed to make room for Paper Mario, Medusa, and a Fire Emblem 14 protagonist respectively. Lucas, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and Wolf comes back while Snake will still be left out. I'm still iffy on Ryu and might consider replacing him with a Monster Rancher character or Kasumi. I can tell that Pac and Mega Man might return since he might be the most popular third party additions to SSB4. The Pokemon space is obviously there for however will represent Generation 8 depending on if it's a legendary or starter. And Isabelle is the next "Rosalina" for Animal Crossing, so she might have more priority than Tom Nook during the next round.
You are out of your damn mind if you think Sakurai is cutting his own character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You are out of your damn mind if you think Sakurai is cutting his own character.
Then everyone will probably whine about 4 Kid Icarus reps and consider Sakurai a self righteous fraud. In a situation like this, it's either one or the other.

Inb4 someone posts the "Why not both?" meme.

...You think Sakurai would consider Monster Rancher?

You meant Monster Hunter, right?
Monster Rancher as an alternate Tecmo rep if Ryu would be considered "too gritty" for Smash.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681

I think this roster is too safe. Outside Harry (where is he from?), Black Mage and Ryu they are all pretty expected. Okay, and maybe Medusa.
At this point in time I agree with Inkling and Isabelle, though. If Sakurai would announce a new Smash-game for 2015, these two would with a huge margin be the top 2 of my Expected Character List.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

KIU doesn't need 4 reps.

Sakurai has banned other fighting game characters so no Ryu.

Fine with everything else.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What if we get a new director? Or Sakurai doesn't have much control over the series than before? And devs/Nintendo are all like, "yeah, Dark Pit should go" (mostly likely a priority thing vs other characters)? I don't really like thinking about the future of the series right now, but who knows. At least Dark Pit is an easy addition, but we'll see what happens.

Naoshi

Then everyone will probably whine about 4 Kid Icarus reps and consider Sakurai a self righteous fraud. In a situation like this, it's either one or the other.

Inb4 someone posts the "Why not both?" meme.

Monster Rancher as an alternate Tecmo rep if Ryu would be considered "too gritty" for Smash.
Honestly, since you wanted to make a roster that is close to Sakurai's mindset... a lot of it comes across as way too unSakurai. Like... this feels more like a typical fan roster with odd choices rather than something he would make. Sakurai wouldn't put Monster Ranchers just because Ryu is considered too gritty.

Remember that his mindset of third parties is that he wants to pick characters on a special occasion. Mega Man, Sonic and Pac Man all fit the bill and are very relevant to Nintendo. Snake wasn't even his idea and even then Snake got cut in the next game. I don't really see Sakurai having a character like Snake ever again (although it kind of sucks because he was great in Brawl, but I understand why he wouldn't be there) People hardly associate Ryu or Monster Rancher with Nintendo, one seems to strongly favor the PS3/360 while the other is a forgotten franchise.

I apologize if this is rude or demotivating, I just want to give some honest critique!

I have other things to say if you want to hear that.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Honestly, since you wanted to make a roster that is close to Sakurai's mindset... a lot of it comes across as way too unSakurai. Like... this feels more like a typical fan roster with odd choices rather than something he would make. Sakurai wouldn't put Monster Ranchers just because Ryu is considered too gritty.

Remember that his mindset of third parties is that he wants to pick characters on a special occasion. Mega Man, Sonic and Pac Man all fit the bill and are very relevant to Nintendo. Snake wasn't even his idea and even then Snake got cut in the next game. I don't really see Sakurai having a character like Snake ever again (although it kind of sucks because he was great in Brawl, but I understand why he wouldn't be there) People hardly associate Ryu or Monster Rancher with Nintendo, one seems to strongly favor the PS3/360 while the other is a forgotten franchise.

I apologize if this is rude or demotivating, I just want to give some honest critique!

I have other things to say if you want to hear that.
I appreciate the feedback, I have to think more crazy when it comes to the choices (but not to crazy) in order to capture his magic. Considering the possibility that Nintendo might by Capcom, I could have went with either Phoenix Wright or a Monster Hunter since there aren't that many third parties companies left that had a good relationship with Nintendo. Dillon and Malo could have been some wild cards to use since Nintendo might have something special planned for them in the future. Assuming they might have more Punch Out games in the future, Doc Louis would be a great choice for a second Punch Out because of diversity relevance alone. Then there's Andy from the Nintendo Wars games whenever Nintendo stops pretending that the series doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I appreciate the feedback, I have to think more crazy when it comes to the choices (but not to crazy) in order to capture his magic. Considering the possibility that Nintendo might by Capcom, I could have went with either Phoenix Wright or a Monster Hunter since there aren't that many third parties companies left that had a good relationship with Nintendo. Dillon and Malo could have been some wild cards to use since Nintendo might have something special planned for them in the future. Assuming they might have more Punch Out games in the future, Doc Louis would be a great choice for a second Punch Out because of diversity relevance alone. Then there's Andy from the Nintendo Wars games whenever Nintendo stops pretending that the serious doesn't exist.
Doc Louis will need some serious working out like Bowser if he's gonna stand a chance. Luckily, we have someone who can help: :4wiifit:.

I uhh... Want a:4wiifit: costume with shorts now...

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I appreciate the feedback, I have to think more crazy when it comes to the choices (but not to crazy) in order to capture his magic. Considering the possibility that Nintendo might by Capcom, I could have went with either Phoenix Wright or a Monster Hunter since there aren't that many third parties companies left that had a good relationship with Nintendo. Dillon and Malo could have been some wild cards to use since Nintendo might have something special planned for them in the future. Assuming they might have more Punch Out games in the future, Doc Louis would be a great choice for a second Punch Out because of diversity relevance alone. Then there's Andy from the Nintendo Wars games whenever Nintendo stops pretending that the serious doesn't exist.
Wat?

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Yes, these are more unsafe, unexpected choices I was talking about.

Naoshi

When it comes to third parties, you'll notice that they tend to stick with mascots. 2 games probably isn't saying much for a pattern but 3rd party companies tends to only have one rep each. Capcom is far more likely to stick with Mega Man as their rep, despite his bleak future. Phoenix Wright has wayyy less of a chance to replace Mega Man, he isn't exactly "iconic" either. Monster Hunter doesn't really have any viable character other than the cats, which aren't... exactly playable characters to begin with.

Going with a crazy choice for the sake of it is not exactly how it works. I mean there has been crazy picks such has Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt dog, but consider this: The former is from Nintendo's most successful console of all time with her game being one of the best seller of it. The latter represents SSB4's retro newcomer that represents with the Nintendo Zapper accessory. I feel they just happen to be crazy choices. They also bring a lot of the table with their unique movesets. I think a vital part of Sakurai's mindset for character selection is gameplay. This is how Ice Climbers (and their unique teamwork gimmick) got in Smash Bros in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom