• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Wow. . .
Melee truly is a masterpiece.
It is one of the most well designed games that has ever existed.
It has an incredibly complex architecture with rich adornment
It should be in the Smithsonian's video games section.
I'm not joking.
There's no way that a game could survive this long without such an inherent and apparent beauty.
I do mean beauty, it epitomizes the competitive spirit and expression of style.
The Big House 4.

Last edited:

Sil

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1032-1490-1609
What's the best character to use in Trophy Rush? I haven't really played in that mode much.
Fox is pretty good, just keep to the edges, spam his blaster, and dodge when necessary.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hoping to get my online mode up and running tomorrow so that I can start playing against actual people. I get bored of CPUs so quickly...

So far trying to get used to some of my Brawl mains that have changed a bit, mostly King Dedede. I'm still almost as good with Captain Falcon as I was with him in Brawl among others, since he was one of my better characters there and he hasn't changed much in this installment, the only thing that's holding me back is the totally different control scheme of the 3DS which I'm still not really used to yet.

Also trying to get better with a few newcomers, mostly Greninja, Shulk, and the Villager.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Rival Smash is officially the worst mode ever.
The match says I got 57 kills, counts 38.

???
It's counting how many kills you have over your rival. I got 16 kills with Little Mac - I think I suicided with Jolt Haymaker, again... - and my rival got 6. So, I have 10 over my rival and that's my score.

Soul.

Wow. . .
Melee truly is a masterpiece.
It is one of the most well designed games that has ever existed.
It has an incredibly complex architecture with rich adornment
It should be in the Smithsonian's video games section.
I'm not joking.
There's no way that a game could survive this long without such an inherent and apparent beauty.
I do mean beauty, it epitomizes the competitive spirit and expression of style.
The Big House 4.
So Melee > Smash Wii U then? :troll:

Soul.

If it's better than Smash Wii U, does that not also mean that it is better than Smash 3DS since they are technically the same game? :4dk:
To be honest I don't know. I was comparing Melee and the Wii U version because they are console games.

Sil

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1032-1490-1609
Rival Smash is officially the worst mode ever.
The match says I got 57 kills, counts 38.

???
That means you 38 more KOs than the rival.

Rival Smash is so stupid. Because the game only ends when you get KOed, you can just kill yourself when you have enough KOs and still win. And if you KO the rival, all you get is a few more KOs, and he gets to respawn. Basically he can KO you, but you can't KO him.

It is a good idea, but has terrible execution. What they should have done is instead of ending the game when you get KOed, there should be a time limit, and allow both of you to respawn, at the cost of a couple KOs and whoever has the most KOs at the end wins. Not only would this make much more sense, but it would also make some of those challenges a lot easier. (I don't even want to think about getting 50 KOs in that mode...) /endrant

...I'm pretty sure that is most I've ever typed out 'KO'. :laugh:

Last edited:

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
Man, Mac is a truly broken character.

Sure, he has terrible recovery, but what happens if he doesn't fall off the stage? He can spam punches which feel impossible to block (at least for me anyway), he's got fast speed and to top it all off he has that one hit K.O. move. :/

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That means you 38 more KOs than the rival.
Rival Smash is so stupid. Because the game only ends when you get KOed, you can just kill yourself when you have enough KOs and still win. And if you KO the rival, all you get is a few more KOs, and he gets to respawn. Basically he can KO you, but you can't KO him.
It is a good idea, but has terrible execution. What they should have done is instead of ending the game when you get KOed, there should be a time limit, and allow both of you to respawn, at the cost of a couple KOs and whoever has the most KOs at the end wins. Not only would this make much more sense, but it would also make some of those challenges a lot easier. (I don't even want to think about getting 50 KOs in that mode...) /endrant

I'm pretty sure that is most I've ever typed out' KO'. :laugh:
They should've just made the rivals NOT ABLE TO DAMAGE EACH OTHER.
Never have I been killed by anything but my rival. Meanwhile I kill her and get two seconds to act before she comes back.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So Melee > Smash Wii U then? :troll:
In all seriousness, gameplay wise, by far. And I mean this with all the love to the Smash community as a whole as possible.
I'd even go so far as to say it is one of the greatest competitive game of all time, right up there with Brood War, CS 1.6, and Street Fighter 3rd Strike. AND MAHVEL BAYBEE
We should celebrate this as brothers and sisters of a common heritage of heroes and legends.

Hah, I just realized I usually type something like this up after a huge tournament.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

Sure, he has terrible recovery, but what happens if he doesn't fall off the stage? He can spam punches which feel impossible to block (at least for me anyway), he's got fast speed and to top it all off he has that one hit K.O. move. :/
Well, I know that DK has a huge edge on him because he can cargo him off the stage. Plus, if you can do a pivot back air with most characters then you're guaranteed that he won't be coming back to the stage. :D
And any character that can camp him out will win. If anyone can outzone him, then they win I suppose. C. Falc. and Sheik will go in on him in the air.

And yeah, Rival Smash is horrible >:|

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

It was the same deal with Ike back in the day. You just need to learn to read him and fight with a mindset of a boxer which you can apply to any character. Look for openings no matter how small. Also, Little Mac only has two "ranged" moves and they're easy to read. One is the Straight Lunge which has so many openings and the other is Jolt Haymaker which you can dodge and let Little Mac fly off to his doom.

A bad Little Mac will spam moves which is workable since he can follow up fast and it'd be like button-mashing in Tekken or Street Fighter. Spamming moves means repetition and repetition means tons of easy reads. Always dash attacking? Side step and counter.

A good Little Mac will take the boxer mindset. He'll let you waste your time attacking while he counters and looks for openings. Once he's got one, he'll KO you like no tomorrow. It was how I played as Ike back then in Brawl. I let opponents come to me and I hit back hard, but I had to time it well since Ike was slow. Little Mac gives you more room since he attacks fast, but leave him in the air and he's screwed.

A character with a Counter move can destroy a Little Mac who's spamming moves. I tried to rush-down Lucina to unlock her and it didn't work out well. So, I switched and played defensively. Let's just say it was fun to catch her off-guard.

In Multi-Man and stuff like that, I'll rush, but if it's against higher level CPU and human players, I'll probably take a more defensive route. Knowing Little Mac's poor air game and recovery along with Jolt Haymaker suicides, I try to stay in the center as much as possible. That lets me kept a fair distance between people and away from off-staging.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Little Mac is totally broken because he has such an overt and exploitable weakness! That one hit K.O. move that is not really a one hit K.O. move gets me every time. The whole cast is secretly broken since most of them have a strength and a weakness. How do you keep Villager off the stage? How I ask?! What about Rosalina's Luma? That is not fair, everyone should have a buddy to help them out!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Little Mac is totally broken because he has such an overt and exploitable weakness! That one hit K.O. move that is not really a one hit K.O. move gets me every time. The whole cast is secretly broken since most of them have a strength and a weakness. How do you keep Villager off the stage? How I ask?! What about Rosalina's Luma? That is not fair, everyone should have a buddy to help them out!
Have your pick; any you like... DAMN YOU DRAGON'S DOGMA INNKEEPERS! I CAN'T STOP HEARING THAT!

R0Y

Smash Master
Can't wait to smash up my old GC controllers a third time. Not my favourite controller and lacks a fe feautres but it just feels right for Smash. I hope I can buy the adapter standalone at retail, I don't need another controller.

Sil

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1032-1490-1609
"Obtain all custom outfits, headgear, and special moves."

Kill me.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So, I did 9.0 by spamming Bowser's nair and getting all hits on Master dude.
That thing does like 37 damage fresh when they all hit, and it's mad fast.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
92 moves unlocked...

5 years later...

132 moves unlocked...

But seriously, third day and only 92 moves unlocked. These things are a pain to unlock.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Smash Run helps with custom specials. Play as the character you need customs for for a higher chance of getting that character's customs. It's hard because I have so much fun with Palutena in there. Bowser isn't bad either, and it's hilarious seeing him move fast.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to a restaurant called "BJ's" tomorrow and get a Pumpkin Ale Float and some Aki Poke

Than later I'm going to get me some Hawaiian BBQ.

Probably stop by Barnes and Nobles sometime in between

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman

Trust me, he is not. Its so easy to get him. He can't last long at high percentage. Once he's out of his range he is done.

Not even his side b can go that far.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Smash Run is the worst mode to use for unlocking moves... Classic, Target Blast, and Trophy Rush are far better and more consistent. And I just don't like Smash Run is general anyway. They're just a pain to unlock because you also have to deal with equipment and you can win moves you have already unlocked.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I just got three kills in Cruel Smash with Dark Lord Ganondorf.

Had to brute force it because of the smarter AI.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Smash Run is the worst mode to use for unlocking moves... Classic, Target Blast, and Trophy Rush are far better and more consistent. And I just don't like Smash Run is general anyway. They're just a pain to unlock because you also have to deal with equipment and you can win moves you have already unlocked.
Ironically for unlocking stuff I'd go Trophy Rush>Smash Run>Classic>All Star [Haven't played enough target blast yet]

Anyways, despite my heart feeling it was mashed with a mallet yesterday...this comic made me laugh. http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=313

Ok, back to studying, working out, and finding new love...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I've been getting the best results with classic mode. I consistently get at least 1, but usually 2-3, new move per run of it.Trophy Rush keeps giving me ones I already have or things other then moves. And I only ever get 2-4 custom breakables when playing it anywa, compared to the people who get like 8 somehow. Target Blast you can only ever get one custom symbol at a time and have to hope it is a move. But it's super easy and you just have to reset the game until a custom target appears. I go to it when I get tired of doing the other ones for moves.

I haven't had any luck with Smash Run and I find the enemies to be too much of an annoyance.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Trust me, he is not. Its so easy to get him. He can't last long at high percentage. Once he's out of his range he is done.

Not even his side b can go that far.
His Side Special, Jolt Haymaker, is pitiful in the air. Every time I use it in the air and die, I think, "Well, damn. Captain Falcon would have survived that. So would Ganondorf, pre-SSB4 Bowser, and... EVERYONE ELSE!"

Every time I'm in the air with Little Mac, I feel like the only thing I can do is: A. Give up or B. Desperately try to recover, but die sadly, pathetically, pitifully, and embarrassingly. Everyone else gets to: C. Recover, D. Take them with you, E. Fight in the air, or F. Tether recover if they can.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Challenges are taking a while for me to do. I beat Classic, 10 Man, and 100 Man with everyone. I beat Classic on intensity of 9.0 on my second try. I probably would have lost if Ness's Psi Magnet didn't absorb the projectiles from the sword form. That healed a lot of damage. I just finished the first two rows of All-Star. Will finish the rest before I get to Smash Run. After that is just playing Smash as much as I want until I happen to get the other challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom