• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 is nothing like Smash 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakolt

Smash Rookie
NNID
deakolt
3DS FC
1779-2030-4940
I was a huge Smash 64 player and am back for Smash 4 now. I disagree heavily; I think Smash 4 is much more similar than Brawl to their 64 predecessor.

Sure, the game is no longer based on infinite combos, but something about the pacing and the nature of throws feels very smash 64-y.

I'd say this game is inbetween Brawl and 64, which is freakin' awesome.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
yeah my buddy told me to buy this game because it was like smash 64, they're not similar at all lol.

oh well, it's still fun. but I enjoyed smash because combos felt so fluid, this game combos are pretty much nonexistent unless you have someone at a perfect percentage and hit them in the perfect spot with your setup move, and even then it's probably only a 2-4 hit combo.

yttik

Sure, the game is no longer based on infinite combos, but something about the pacing and the nature of throws feels very smash 64-y.
64 isn't really based upon infinite combos. Sure, they happen but they only happen lots in more specific matchups and only with players skilled enough to pull them off. This seems to be a common thing people say about 64 and it's just blatantly not true.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Melee is more like smash 4 than this game is, due to the amount of hitstun and shield stun.
I actually find the hitstun in between melee and brawl. I would say just a tad more similar to brawl. Shield stun however, I feel there is no shield stun at all, closer to brawl too in that matter.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I've never heard this been seriously said. I know there are Melee players who say it, but it's mostly just said as a joke because of the lack of DI in the game.

I personally think it's what Brawl should've been: a fast paced, fun game you can enjoy both competitively and at a casual level, while at the same time becoming a more accessible competitive game. I'm personally glad that L-cancelling has been removed and instead many moves are just cancelled faster upon landing (Mario's bair, Peach's Nair, etc).

Last edited:

greenfield

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5155-3332-7260

Idk man, looks a lot like 64 Falcon to me...

But seriously, this game plays nothing like any of the previous versions of Smash.

Last edited:

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
For me it is the way it plays feels much of the same as the n64 version.
And I think thats great.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
For me it is the way it plays feels much of the same as the n64 version.
And I think thats great.

wait
smash 64
smash 4

theres 48 characters in smash 4
theres 14 characters in smash 64

48+14= 62
each human has two hands
2+62=64

ILLUMINATI CONFRIMED!1111

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Why is this a thread in this forum, and how was it not locked day 1?

It's cool if you like 64, but this isn't the place to discuss it nor is it wise to create a thread trying to fight between preferred games.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Eh, it was well written and it's a thread about the competitive gameplay of 64 vs the competitive gameplay of 4. Was gonna let the discussion die out naturally or deteriorate before locking it because there wasn't really another viable thread to point the discussion.

Regardless, it was an ambiguous call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom