• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash 4 feels slow, like sf iv vanilla slow

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
The game feels like brawl if heavy mode was turned on. It's meh, a little better than brawl's speed.

Last edited:

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Hopefully down the timeline of this game they can add something like street fighter turbo, where you can play "Normal mode" where you can play whatever Sakurai wants the game to be like. And then "Melee Mode" a mode that plays pretty much just like Melee, this would easily please LITERALLY everybody, except for Ridley fans :p

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
To the people complaining about lack of momentum retention when jumping:

This actually isn't a standard of platforming games. Some platformers do it, such as older or more retro-style Mario games, or Sonic Rush. Some platformers don't do it, such as many 3D Mario games where retaining ground momentum into the air is replaced with the Long Jump command, or most Kirby games barring unique attributes of certain attacks, or most 3D Sonic games where doing a full-height jump kills a ton of your momentum.

Oh, by the way, in Brawl, you do retain ground momentum when jumping. Just not all of it. There's a character-specific multiplier on the amount of momentum you retain from ground to air, as well as a flat value that specifies the maximum amount of momentum you're able to transfer. And even if somehow your character's air-to-ground momentum cap is higher than their maximum air speed, you still won't exceed your maximum air speed. If you need proof, try this: Run > pivot > let the control stick go back to neutral > jump. The faster you jump out of pivot, the more horizontal momentum you'll retain, resulting in you jumping while moving backwards. How much momentum you retain from the dash in this case is affected not only by the character's ground-to-air momentum-retention multiplier, but also by the character's ground traction. Lower traction + earlier jump out of pivot = greater momentum available to transfer.

Thor

Smash Champion
Now that sounds incredibly awesome, but that still doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to keep the speed you had running into a jump. C.Falcon use to fly…. like a Falcon, now he just kinda jumps pretty high, like a falcon?
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to keep all of one's momentum [I say all of because of Jamie the AuraUser - and I also know SOME momentum must be kept because Falco has a reasonably good RAR bair but TERRIBLE air speed and acceleration if you just jump straight up] out of a jump. I was just stating that it is still technically possible to land the sacred combo if you read the opponent perfectly and go for it, even if it's wholly unnecessary (he was dead if I just stood on-stage and taunted a bunch - I went DEEP for that Falcon Punch - also of course he had almost no DI on the knee).

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
I gotta say, after watching that Japanese match, I don't see how anyone thinks this game is "slow."
Its not the pace of the game as much as it is the matches, K.O's take much longer then in Melee so the matches still take a while, its a good pace, but its not the fresh prince.

kchamp523

Smash Cadet
I laugh at the thought that Melee is "too fast". It isn't hard to follow what's happening.
This. Melee really isn't the "super-quick-can't-understand-what's-happening" type of fast that people are making it out to be on this thread.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
This. Melee really isn't the "super-quick-can't-understand-what's-happening" type of fast that people are making it out to be on this thread.
I was six and loved the hell out of it, it wasnt too complicated for a six year old to just play, but it had the depth to be more competive then the other smash games.

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
I've only played the demo, but in my opinion. The game feels slower than melee as I believe it was supposed to. The pace of the game isn't painfully slow however. Brawl at times, depending on character, could feel dreadful both in speed and precision. I don't find myself saying that with smash 4. Smash 4 seems to be at a pace where you can get good follow ups and strings as well as true combo potential, something I felt brawl lacked. Is it as pinpoint as Melee? Of course not. Melee is one of a kind in the smash franchise as are 64 and brawl, as well as smash 4 will be. I'm diggin it, and I find myself playing it more than P:M which is what is most popular amongst my friends but we have all switched to the demo it seems.

Brnze

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0190-0222-8957
Honestly it feels WAY faster than Brawl, and actually really comfortable to play. Kinda in love.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
The game doesn't feel so slow to me, Better than Brawl and at least decent speed for a Fighting Game. Kinda has a street fighter-ish feel to it, and that's one of my favor fighters out there. Personally, I feel that the game still feels pretty floaty like Brawl and characters take so darn long to kill, but other than that the game feels like a nice mix.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if they had just gone back to Melee or close to it. I really don't see much of a reason why the speed should be decreased in the first place.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Smash 64 feels restricted, the controller is weird and a lot of moves and features (that were added to the sequels) are missing.

Melee feels fast and punchy. Some elements like air dodging feel rigid but they can turn fluid if you play your character the right way (wavedashing).

Brawl feels floaty and slippery. There are a lot of fun momentum things you can do like RAR and DACUS.

Smash 4 (at least what I get from the demo) feels very solid in a lot of ways. Some moves are fast, some moves are slow, it feels like the game designers hand-picked the speed of every move and landing lag of every aerial to fit a specific function of that character. This is the first Smash game that feels like it was made by traditional fighting game designers (IMO). Sure, it's not as fast as Melee and I'll always have my passion for Melee, but Sm4sh's speed and weight feels very right to me and a lot of intentional game design choices were made to make this game as balanced as possible. Let's just hope they are quick to patch any outstandingly broken imbalances that the community finds...

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
All the people in this thread saying Melee is "too fast'/"stupidly fast"/etc... For real?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
All the people in this thread saying Melee is "too fast'/"stupidly fast"/etc... For real?
There's fast like Bugatti Veyron fast and there's fast like Nissan GT-R fast. I think most people are referring to the GT-R where it's fast at first, but after a while, you learn to adjust to it. The Veyron, however, you can get used to some of its speed, the rest is more like drag racing - you hope that there's not a wall at the end of the track.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yes. Melee IS too fast. I could never get into that game for this exact reason. Smash 64 and Smash 4 have the ideal speeds.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The actual fights in Smash 4 feel slow, even if the actual action isn't. It's not fun having back and forths where you send them to the other side of the stage, and you run over, they do the same and this continues until a killing blow is landed. It feels like you'll never get a KO in Smash 4 unless you make a big deal out of it, which was never an issue previously. Huge blastzones, amazing recoveries etc all contribute to this.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
We're all going to like and play Smash 4 at first because its a new thing but once the newness wears off and we start realising there is not a viable competiive side to it. We will slowly creep back to playing what we used to play

D

Deleted member 245254

The actual fights in Smash 4 feel slow, even if the actual action isn't. It's not fun having back and forths where you send them to the other side of the stage, and you run over, they do the same and this continues until a killing blow is landed. It feels like you'll never get a KO in Smash 4 unless you make a big deal out of it, which was never an issue previously. Huge blastzones, amazing recoveries etc all contribute to this.
Sorry but if you turn a stock in to a game of who lands the first killing blow because both players %s are too high, it's your fault for not edge guarding. If you edge guard properly then this never should be a concern.

It's in your best interest to get acquainted with this dynamic, otherwise Lucario will be the bane of your existence.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
We're all going to like and play Smash 4 at first because its a new thing but once the newness wears off and we start realising there is not a viable competiive side to it. We will slowly creep back to playing what we used to play
in other words, you don't think the game will have a vaible competitive side to it!

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
in other words, you don't think the game will have a vaible competitive side to it!
I've never played it before and it is still early days but watching the videos doesn't get me hyped because of the constant 'hit me at 120% and i'll go flying but still recover..ok now its your turn to go flying but ofcourse we all know youre recovering'

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
I think adapting to what smash 4 has to offer will be key to a players success the better you adapt the sooner you'll start taking stocks in a match. The game is still fresh and we have a lot to learn about it, or at least try to learn before deeming it "competitively unviable"

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sorry but if you turn a stock in to a game of who lands the first killing blow because both players %s are too high, it's your fault for not edge guarding. If you edge guard properly then this never should be a concern.

It's in your best interest to get acquainted with this dynamic, otherwise Lucario will be the bane of your existence.
In previous games it wasn't necessary to edgeguard to the degree it is now. It makes the game feel slow, because whereas you used to be able to get kills from the stage far easier while still being able to edgeguard to get them quicker, now you are absolutely required to. The huge blastzones and god-tier recoveries that are standard for most characters doesn't help with this at all.

Yes, yes, new game new strategies. That doesn't mean it's good or fun, or that'll it compare to previous games after enough time.

D

Deleted member 245254

In previous games it wasn't necessary to edgeguard to the degree it is now. It makes the game feel slow, because whereas you used to be able to get kills from the stage far easier while still being able to edgeguard to get them quicker, now you are absolutely required to. The huge blastzones and god-tier recoveries that are standard for most characters doesn't help with this at all.

Yes, yes, new game new strategies. That doesn't mean it's good or fun, or that'll it compare to previous games after enough time.
Lotta folks seem to be finding it fun doe...

Une

Smash Apprentice
Lolwut? Pretty sure SFIV is WAAYYYY faster then any game that is similar to Brawl in speed.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I'm cool with the game's speed really playing the demo a millions of time and the speed still feels great everytime

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
I'm gonna call it right now and say that this games entire meta is going to be based around characters with Spikes/Meteors.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
They confuse me too. It's a pretty ridiculous thing to say and frankly it reads like "I lost to someone who wavedashed or used an approach option that isn't a dash so I hate the speed in Melee."

Melee can be played casually and slowly if you want. Just don't play people who are too good for your skill level. Problem solved.

Last edited:

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
I've never played it before and it is still early days but watching the videos doesn't get me hyped because of the constant 'hit me at 120% and i'll go flying but still recover..ok now its your turn to go flying but ofcourse we all know youre recovering'
Smash 4 = Video game punchies.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
After playing the demo I feel like this game is everything Brawl was. And twenty times better! The pace is perfect, good balance between competitive and casual.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
I understand if you do not like a game if it is too fast for you and you plan on playing it casually. However, if you want to be competitively good at a game, but let something like the difficulty of a game (for instance the speed) stop you, I see it as wanting to be a top level player at a game without putting in the effort. If you put in the effort, a game that seemed too fast for you, might be normal to you after a few sessions.

I get it though, you wouldn't want to spend 12 hours a day on end to get top level in a game, but I don't think a game can be all that great if all you have to do is play 1 hour every week to be the very best. Hopefully this game finds balance between that.

Some people enjoy lightning fast gameplay. I am one of them.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255

"In previous games.." let me stop you right there. If you go into smash 4 trying to play brawl or melee, you're going to have a rough time. You either go for the KO, or you won't get it, simple as that. It's better from a spectators POV to see players going deep for their KO's, that's what hype is made of.

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936

And that's just a taste of how fast paced the game can be so far. Keep in mind, it's barely been out for 2 weeks, so we have yet to figure out the optimal techniques for every character. (not to mention we're limited to the subpar 3DS controls until the Wii U release)

In my opinion, it's far too early to deem the game slow.. but even then, the process of pushing the game's limits has already started, I mean did you SEE the crazy stuff that Yoshi was doing?

Top Bottom