• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 DLC Discussion (Free vs Paid/etc)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay, how about "It's ****ish to make someone pay to keep up with the metagame when they've already payed for a full game"
I'll counter with "It's ****ish to expect them to use time and resources on a game already released and then demand it be free."

KillJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
K0maeda
3DS FC
0361-6214-0350
Okay, how about "It's ****ish to make someone pay to keep up with the metagame when they've already payed for a full game"
I agree with your viewpoint, but from a logical perspective, Battlefield, Halo, and Call of Duty have been doing the map pack thing for years, so it wouldn't be all that far cry.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Staindgrey's argument still stands, if you want to invest in an hobby you have to buy new content. Say you follow a comic book series are you going to complain that they made a "part 2" to a story? Do you think they should just hand it out for free to anybody who bought part 1 of the arc despite how much extra time and work they put into part 2?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think free character DLC could happen, even if it never existed on the disc to begin with.
If they released it once the game started to die down, it could give people more incentive to buy the game to at least try it.
Acting like a second burst to sales.
Then they could release a complete edition and troll everyone with a new box with better box art.

OR

Let's say the game generates a huge volume of profit, free character DLC could be a thank you to the fans.
So Nintendo could justify it that way.

Lets say it cost Nintendo 2 million in resources and man power to make smash.
Lets say after covering the cost of 2 million the game profits 4 million.
DLC would cost them another 100k but they throw us a bone and give it to us for free.
They still profit and fans are happy.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Since it hasn't been discussed in detail:

What about a sort-of Season Pass/expansion pack to keep the game fresh? At least once? This would include

-All Balance Patches
-Any additional modes
-Any patches
-All Characters/Stages/Costumes that are downloadable

As just an idea

And on digital, it's a bit cheaper. If you own at least one of the two games, it's a lot cheaper. Think: UMvC3 model in terms of characters (Characters that people want/advertisement) while acting like Ultra Street Fighter 4 / NSLU in terms of pricing. Thoughts?

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
For Smash Bros.? No problem whatsoever. Just don't scrooge us on making us pay say...10$ on a few new costumes or something. If it's reasonably priced, I'll gladly shell out a few bucks for some new characters/stages/even items.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I generally only buy DLCs if I'll enjoy the content, or if I have enjoyed the game overall to this point and wouldn't mind more. It's why I've LOVED Borderlands 2, which gave us two new characters, as well as a whole bunch of storyline-based DLC. This is the kind of stuff I could live with. If costumes are cheap then I might consider those too.

However, my issue is not with the DLC for these games, but Nintendo's actual server. To get larger content (such as say, just a game), it takes quite a while. I think they put a cap on the download speed on purpose so everyone feels equal, but that hurts those with better connections.

I could honestly go for the following type of DLC for Smash:
  • Character DLC - The Character DLC would include:
    • A "At-Launch" Character, which means stuff such as
      • Character model
      • Sound files
      • Articles
      • Fighter file
      • Alt costumes
      • Final Smash
      • In-Battle attributes
      • Everything else I may have missed writing down for an At-Launch Character
    • The ability to unlock the Special Move customizations through whichever mode will allow this to be possible.
      • 3 Total B Moves
      • 3 Total Up-B Moves
      • 3 Total Down-B Moves
      • 3 Total Side-B Moves
  • Stage DLC
  • Game Mode DLC
These would be acceptable to me. How Mr. Sakurai would go about doing it, however, it a different matter. Less acceptable, but not discouraged DLCs would be:
  • Item Pack DLC
  • Alt. Costume Pack DLC
My main concern is all of these MUST be reasonably priced. So nothing like, 10 dollars for one character, when clearly we'll be sitting at like, 40 characters in-game for 60 bucks. That would make one character, if paying solely for the characters as if the rest of the game's contents did not exist, 1.50$. This seems reasonable to me, but I could go as much as 5.99$ for a new character. However, I also truly enjoy the franchise, both competitively and casually, as such, I'm willing to shell out some cash for it.

Top Bottom