• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash 3DS AI: the Good, the Bad, and the Just Plain Dumb

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
It seems to me like Level 6 CPUs are the most realistic training for fighting against actual players, or maybe Level 7s. Level 8 and 9 CPUs are more defensive than any player would be, whereas 6 and 7 tend to be a little more aggressive with attacks and recoveries while also defending.
This might also be part of why people think KOs take forever in this game. It's very difficult to actually get a read and land a raw KO move on a level 9 computer player, so they'll often make it to 150% or higher before you can actually hit them with a solid move and finish them off. And things like Mario's jab or FTilt have no KO power seemingly ever, so it can be a real issue. On the other hand, Mario's UAir actually KOs around 200%, which is pretty impressive for an attack that fast.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
In the demo, I was using Megaman, charging up my forward smash against Mario, when he jumps over me, and uses his cape turning me around. Best KO I've had so far.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Edge play is a lot more difficult this time around despite the fact that it's basically essential for most matches. I've managed a few off stage spike kills and uair KOs as Mario so far, but they tend to be a rare occasion, unlike dying due to ledge snap being nerfed and not grabbing the ledge when you're facing the other way of it.

Hukuzo

Smash Rookie
To throw in my 2¢, CPU MegaMan is horrendous. He frequently stands in place without attacking, spams smashes, and self-destructs. CPU Mario is almost a threat, whereas MegaMan is like playing someone that is still learning the controls.

nintyplayer

Smash Cadet
I have literally no idea what you guys are talking about. Every single CPU I've played against in this game is excellent at recovery. Better than most of the people I've played. But, it's just a demo.

Blue Phoenix

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0001-3910-6032
Oh and by the way, lvl 9's DO NOT stop shielding, they make the game really fun. QUICK TIP! if I want to go on training mode I just put mario on level one and he just walks around and doesn't really punch you, lvl 1's are REDICULOUSLY EASY!!!
True, makes it really easy to test out things such as how some characters' moves work when you only have the demo. (though only having 5 characters really blows, I would have been fine with at least 8-10)

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Pikachu AI, at least at level 6, when equipped with a rocket belt, tend to fly as high as possible. It doesn't cause an SD, but it's some baffling behavior right there, even if it were for dodging.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
The infernal psychic shielding is annoying on Level 8-9, but unfortunately that is the strongest thing they have going for them. A lot of the AI leave them selves wide open after attacks and air dodges. Once you land a good hit on them, you often can keep up the pressure for a quick KO.

I've seen some really weird behavior from level 9's as well. Some times when putting CPUs under projectile fire while they are near the edge they start to do this thing where they take a step forward, then back-roll to the edge, step forward again, back-roll rinse and repeat. This actions often continues on for a few seconds even after projectiles stop.

I also noticed villager likes to kill himself by jumping (out the top of the stage) after being UAired by Mega-Man.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
So, Pikachu likes to do the PIIKAACHUU (Sorry, I don't know the move but its a bouncy thunderball thing its also his neutral special...) and he does it, ALOT It's like his only move, Villager does the Side Special alot... Link has a good AI, Mario usually reflects every single projectile -.- and they all shield like maniacs

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
So, Pikachu likes to do the PIIKAACHUU (Sorry, I don't know the move but its a bouncy thunderball thing its also his neutral special...) and he does it, ALOT It's like his only move, Villager does the Side Special alot... Link has a good AI, Mario usually reflects every single projectile -.- and they all shield like maniacs
I've found that throwing enough lemons and pikachu as mega-man makes the CPU realize that thunder jolt isn't working and it is time to try something else XP (level 8-9).

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
The AI is super-salty yo

When I set myself and the AI to random characters and beat the AI, the next match will give us the same characters like half the time.

IblisTriggersPuppet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Oshawottfan33
3DS FC
4356-0745-3351
Honestly level 7's in one on ones are a bit easy actually
8 and 9's in one on ones feel a little bit of challenge but not hard challenge
level 7's in a 4 way feel like medium to me
8 and 9 in a 4 way is semi hard not really hard again

I feel like the cpus are much easier this time around compared to the previous titles

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
They feel exactly the same as Brawl's to me. :p I'm sure there are differences, but generally I play against them the same way. As with Brawl, they can be hard to beat at first but soon become predictable and easy once you've gotten used to how they work. :p

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
Level 9 computers in Smash 4 are annoying (demo experience wise) because they just about shield every attack you use long-ranged, and close-ranged.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
7 feels more "human" for situations of practicing for a match with a normal player. That's how I feel about it.
9 reacts with some perfect shielding and dodging crazy but I find it not bad and they really can punish you on your mistakes. I don't find them hard but I still like them since they can punish you pretty well.
Smartest cpu in the series by far but not the best for people who pretty much mastered smash. Maybe the amibos can change that whenever we get a hold of them.

AFeralFurry

Smash Cadet
I honestly find even the best CPUs in the series pathetic. They aren't hard at all, just irritating.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Lv. 8 CPUs and under are a joke; I did 0-death combos against them during my first hour of gameplay, Lv. 9 is another case, suddenly they perfect shield a lot, dodge, almost predict your moves etc. but in the end they're just annoying if you know how to handle them.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
The CPU has never been difficult to defeat. The ones in this version seem to be skilled only in stalling a match.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Seeing the low learning curve between the first 8 levels and the skill jump in the last one, I see the CPUs this way...

Lv. 1-8: :129:
Lv. 9: :130:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Level 9 CPU's? Hard? BAHAHAHA- But seriously, I was getting destroyed the first time playing the demo. I got better though, and now I'm destroying CPU's almost every match now. You just gotta know how to punish them. Their on-point rolls and shields are annoying however... but I space and punish them well enough to defeat them.

I don't think they're easier this time around. I can't quite remember how good the Brawl CPU's were.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Level 9 cups can read your inputs so they have perfect reaction. It's easy to get them out of blocking everything by spaming grabs. also if u think they are easy/hard now just w8 until u face a level 50 amiibo.:crazy:

AFeralFurry

Smash Cadet
Level 9 cups can read your inputs so they have perfect reaction. It's easy to get them out of blocking everything by spaming grabs. also if u think they are easy/hard now just w8 until u face a level 50 amiibo.:crazy:
Oh, we can go above the level 9 cap, now?

Come at me, level 9999. :p

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I find even the level 9s in this game to be easy. It gets to the point where you know what they're going to do because they just get very predictable. I think I've only lost to a level 9 CPU a handful of times, and it was usually from my own mistakes rather than the CPU outplaying me.

Oh, we can go above the level 9 cap, now?

Come at me, level 9999. :p
If you purchase one of the Amiibo figures, you'll be able to connect it to your Smash Bros game and put the bot of that respective character to level 50.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
The CPU have insane response, so they can pretty much dodge 90% of the stuff you try throw at them. Their air dodge is pretty predictable, though.

If they can't dodge, they shield spam, so you can pretty much push their shield into barely breaking, if not actually breaking it.

I got a mixed opinion for the CPUs who have inhuman reaction speed. :V

IblisTriggersPuppet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Oshawottfan33
3DS FC
4356-0745-3351
I can beat level 1-8 in a one on one easy as pie as mario

level 9 one on one though no items vs mostly link

spamming piece of sanic :4sonic:

anyways it's easy
mostly we die from bad mistakes or unless you're one of those kiddies who only play on level 1 (no offense to anyone)

Last edited by a moderator:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
PLlying against computers usually brings bad habbits to me, though. I end up doing CPU tactics agaisnt players, which I don't think is very effective.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Through 3.5 hours, I can beat levels 1-5 easily. 6-7 are a moderate challenge, I'm winning about 45% of the time. Haven't yet beat anything higher.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
They input read even more then the Brawl AI.

It just makes them annoying to fight for the most part, as you spend of your time punishing their mistakes rather then going on the offensive, since they'll block or dodge practically anything you throw at them if they aren't stuck in lag from something.

Last edited:

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
I'm always practicing on the demo since I got it a couple weeks back... As soon as I got back on track with my Smash style, Level 9s became easy again. Unless I'm half asleep or screw up on an edge my practice fights are usually a 2-0 win, sometimes 3-0.

As mentioned, though, the AI is predictable, even though it seems to keep including more variations as you play. I can't wait to play actual people, both better and worse than the machines.

Last edited:

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
CPUs are somewhat challenging for me but as I (subconsciously) learn their tactics I predict they will be considerably easier.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Level 9's are only annoying because they perfect shield with superhuman precision. Their precise but constant practice of shielding, dodge-rolling, and air-dodging forces a strategy which only works against CPU's but falls flat against many players.

That being said, once you know what they do, they are easy to deal with. Just don't try to deviate from the normal strategy of constant grabbing and reading air-dodges.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I probably have a 90% win rate when going against lvl 9. I would say about half of the matches go to Sudden Death when I'm not Villager. But yeah I agree with everyone that lvl 9 is madd annoying. It feels like anything you do is useless because they roll, shield, or dodge perfectly. Mario is probably the most annoying with perfect Capes along with all the other stuff. I'll probably stop playing them and go to 7 or 8

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
You only think it's easy because you've played so much. With enough practice most players can 1 v 3 against a team of level 9s no problem.

Top Bottom