• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smallest possible brawl iso

shuall

Smash Apprentice
I can delete this if it's of dubious legality.

UPDATE: it works. If you don't care about single player, the biggest hogs of space are sse cutscenes, adventure mode stages, and trophy models. So, I got the iso down to 2.7G, and it runs fine (so far). I haven't gotten a 'trophy get' screen, and that's the only thing that I think *might* make it crash. I could delete more, but everything else is pretty small.
Maybe remove some of the brstm's? That's the next biggest thing at 1G, so I could conceivably get the iso down to 1.7G.

I've finally got my brawl ripped, and I want to reduce the size. I've seen some guides to shrinking brawl down to dvd5 size, but they all include patches, which are now unattainable because the links are all dead. Also, they all tout 'playable sse' which I don't really care about. I don't really want to torrent a dvd5 iso, I want to try to do it with my own, because they all still have sse stuff as well.

So, stuff I see that I can remove for a purely multiplayer, minimal iso of brawl are:
Single player modes -
SSE - can remove movie/*.thp I didn't remove OPMovie.thp, because that's the opening movie that plays when you start the disc and removing probably will crash it.

other - can remove all files in stage/adventure​

Event matches - where?

Trophies - toy/fig you can remove all of these

VC titles - contained in the partitions named HBKE, etc? don't know but you can remove those partitions

update partition - can I just remove this? yup

Can anyone help me with either information or links? Again, all I've found are some old threads on gbatemp, which don't explain what the patches do, they just say 'run this and it should all be fine'. I can't find any of the original threads where people figured any of this stuff out.

I'm looking to put more of my games on my backup drive, but I'm running out of space, so cutting 4G out of brawl would definitely help.

As a side note, I mostly play PM now, so if there's anything here that obviously breaks it, I guess I won't want to do that, but I think PM just injects it's own stuff anyway.

crap, if you remove sse videos, adventure mode stages, fig/*.pac (trophies), vc titles, and update partition, it's 2.8G. Now, to try to get it to run (yeah, right).

EDIT: 'Unlock All Trophies' is helpful to not unlock trophies, because that will crash the game http://geckocodes.org/?c=RSBP01

Last edited:

Cuban Legend

Smash Apprentice
so can you share exactly what you removed from the ISO in order to shrink it down to this size?

edit: nevermind, i read your quote within your post. Thanks!

edit2: what program should be used to shrink the iso?

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
How do you reduce the ISO? I really need to know, my brawl disc doesn't work anymore and I bought an 8 gig usb that says 7.5 on my computer.

shuall

Smash Apprentice
I used wit.
this extracts the iso's (here named 'RSBE.iso') contents to a folder called 'rsbe'
Code:
wit extract RSBE.iso rsbe
delete a bunch of files in rsbe/ like cutscenes, trophies etc
then use this to make a wbfs file you can use in a backup launcher
Code:
wit copy rsbe RSBE.wbfs

M.Y.S.T

Smash Cadet
I know this is an old post but can you post a download link to the brawl 2gb version ??

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Illegal on the forums ???
It's a thing called piracy. You would have full access to a game wether you actually have it or not, and can send someone else the link. The forum staff doesn't know if you will or won't do it, so when you sign up, you sign the terms and conditions, which says to not conduct illegal acts(piracy) on the forums.

Kollin

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity, are there any guides on getting something like this running off of an SD with no disc? I'm trying to build a vanilla Brawl to run tests on, but have no idea what I'm doing. Would rather not use minus or M, since those have pre-installed mods that tend to conflict with things. Thanks in advance!

EDIT FOR CLARITY: I do own the disc, just trying to build an SDBrawl for testing purposes.

Last edited:

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Just wanna ask if anyone could make a dummy THP file for the videos?

I'm getting crashes from using only 1 picture, I'd retry it soon but It'll be a while since I'm not on the computer right now.

I have also a decompiled folder structure in my desktop, after removing SSE Stages, SSE Videos, the Trophies, the two 140MB dummy files as well as SSE/other game modes' BRSTM songs, right click > properties says it should be about 1.1GB
and again, I haven't tested compiling it and running it in Dolphin

EDIT: I'll also upload here dummy Trophy files you'd wanna replace, it sums up to 1mb though but nonetheless its really helpful for it not to crash the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom