• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sm4sh gamecube controllers for melee?

risingsunz

Smash Rookie
anyone try the new production line controllers for smash 4 u in melee? are they any good?

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
Hbox said they feel cheaper than the OG ones and the triggers are more like the white ones than the original ones. Basically, feel cheap but play like white ones

D

Deleted member

Anymore reports like this anyone? Also what's different about the White Gamecube Controllers? Thanks.

Hbox said they feel cheaper than the OG ones and the triggers are more like the white ones than the original ones. Basically, feel cheap but play like white ones

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Anymore reports like this anyone? Also what's different about the White Gamecube Controllers? Thanks.
White controllers, as the most recently designed, are manufactured to last longer. But from what I recall top players saying, Black and Silver controllers are slightly better than purple/orange/white/misc. rarer controllers because they're easier to Isai/Shield drop or pivot JC grab with or something like that. I'm not sure how the new Black WiiU GCCs would differ, but I would take HBox's and other top player's words for it.

rivers

Smash Cadet
I played a bit with the new controllers. Everything said in this thread is pretty much true.

They feel like the white japanese controllers. A bit cheaper fealing, I guess, but it's also actually cheaper to buy than a white one (last I checked white ones were almost $40 with shipping).

tl;dr they're fine if you don't have an og controller

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I bought one, they're alright. I feel once it's been broken in it'll be quite a bit better :)

rivers

Smash Cadet
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the plastic body of the controller feels a bit different. It's slightly more textured than the others.

I think this feels nice, but some might not.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I'm a little disappointed with all these comments about it feeling "cheap". My current controller has a dodgy analogue stick so I was planning on getting it replaced when I finally get Smash 4.

rivers

Smash Cadet
I'm a little disappointed with all these comments about it feeling "cheap". My current controller has a dodgy analogue stick so I was planning on getting it replaced when I finally get Smash 4.
I'd go for it anyway. It's not that bad, and it's certainly better than any 3rd party controller. The buttons are fine, it's the body that feels a bit cheap to me.

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I'd go for it anyway. It's not that bad, and it's certainly better than any 3rd party controller. The buttons are fine, it's the body that feels a bit cheap to me.
Yeah I'm still going to buy it, even if it's just so I have an official Smash controller. I was just unaware until recently that official Gamecube controllers feel different depending on when they were made. I thought the white models that were released for the Wii were identical to the originals.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of trouble with mine. Sometimes when I'll flick the stick in a direction, it'll like snap back to overcorrect or something like the elasticity is too high and it'll input the exact opposite command, like how I'll waveland horizontally to the right when trying to wavedash left. It's super annoying, and I can't predict when it's going to happen because it's not consistent in rearing its head. It can be most easily recognized when navigating the menus or inputting a tag.

Also, the triggers are incredibly clicky and will catch on the inside wall. I don't know how to fix this and it's driving me insane, I don't want to take apart my controller with the triwing because I'm afraid of messing something up when I put it back together and killing my THIRD controller in a year.

I hate things not working.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of trouble with mine. Sometimes when I'll flick the stick in a direction, it'll like snap back to overcorrect or something like the elasticity is too high and it'll input the exact opposite command, like how I'll waveland horizontally to the right when trying to wavedash left. It's super annoying, and I can't predict when it's going to happen because it's not consistent in rearing its head. It can be most easily recognized when navigating the menus or inputting a tag.

Also, the triggers are incredibly clicky and will catch on the inside wall. I don't know how to fix this and it's driving me insane, I don't want to take apart my controller with the triwing because I'm afraid of messing something up when I put it back together and killing my THIRD controller in a year.

I hate things not working.
I definitely wouldn't fear opening an official GCN controller up. If not check out a video as I'm sure there are plenty. It's pretty simple in there as long as you do it on a large table so you don't lose any parts. It's really nice to clean out the buttons once in a while for that new clicky sound.

As for the new controller it feels pretty good to me. Let one too many people borrow my controller resulting in more illusions than lasers, so I decided to finally open this one up a month ago. Stick feels stiff, but probably because it's new as I haven't had a brand new one in years. Can't say I feel the difference in the triggers. I believe I press them straight down and not at an angle so I wouldn't feel it anyways. So far I'd say its really good.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
My triggers were trash and from what ive heard that seems to be the trend I replaced them with an original's but other than that it seemed to work fine.

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
I started out with them and they feel great once you break one in and dedicate to it. When i bought an old second hand one the stick felt way too loose for me to the point i couldnt even input a walk. everything on the sm4sh controller feels more confirming and not vague like youtube's terms of service

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
They're pretty good. I like the triggers on the sm4sh controllers a little better, but maybe that's just because I've gotten used to them. The main reason I use a sm4sh one is because I've tried a bunch of og ones and all the sticks are really loose. I would try and fix em, but the last controller I tried to fix ended up in the garbage :c

Top Bottom