• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slippery Reverse Downsmash (w/ mindgamez!)

technomancer

Smash Champion
For the easily bored, skip to the bold.

So I went to a tournament in a piano store the other day, and there was this dude named Meep, and his IC's were ****ing ridiculous. So I figured I'd pick up IC's and pwn stuff too, right? Esp. cuz that same tournament my CF got owned by a noobity noob noob dash attack Sheik and I was out for revengance.

About five minutes later, laziness kicked in, and realizing that I didn't have the daylight nor the willpower to learn to desynch and do all their little grab tricks properly, I decided to just steal his style with another character...

Anyway, long story short, the thing that caught my eye about Meep was the way he moved. The guy had a perfect wavedash that he combined with dashing, desynching, and more wavedashing, to essentially be sliding around the screen the whole game, fitting in sick downsmashes all over the place, and pretty much fourstocking you just for walking by.

So here's the techniques I learned. I'm just now starting to implement them into my Yoshi game, and let me tell you, I have never seen Yoshi look so slick.

:yoshi: :yoshi: :yoshi:

:yoshi: Sprint-Dashing - ...I'm pretty sure I made that up
Wavedash, and then dash in the same direction. Yoshi should travel about the distance of two wavedashes before the initial dash animation ends.
Backward - Wavedash away, and then dash away. The same as the forward sprint-dash, but Yoshi will turn around.
Moonwalk-style - Wavedash one direction, then dash the other. You'll travel a little bit forward, then pause, then run away almost back to where you started. Generally best followed with another sprint-dash.

Defensive Applications
When doing a backward Sprint-dash, Yoshi turns around and moves a considerable distance very quickly. The turning around makes it so Yoshi's big head moves even farther away, enabling you to more effectively juke most character's aerials and even some smashes. Also, sets up for more sprint-dashing back the other direction for some quick pwn.

Wavesmashing
You cannot do a smash attack out of a sprint dash unless it's a Jump-cancelled upsmash, because it ends with you dashing, not standing. However, you can mix in standard wavesmashes just fine if you spot an opening.

Sprint-Dash-Grab
Yoshi's dash grab is way better than his standing because it grabs almost immediately. If you spot an opening for a grab, then sprint-dash into it. The speed is fantastic, but the lag is still fail if you miss, so be careful.

:yoshi: Reverse Upsmashes and Downsmashes
This is SO GOOD with Yoshi. You can bean pesky Marths and Sheiks straight through their forward air with Yoshi's upsmash invulnerabilty, and the range, priority, and speed on the reverse downsmash is so sexy. Most Yoshis I see play defensively and rarely use the upsmash as an opener, when in fact it's a decent combo starter, does great damage, has excellent KO power, and has ******** priority, it's just hard to hit with.

The Method:
It's the same motion you use for a wavesmash. While facing away from your opponent, wavedash backwards (towards the opponent), HOLD the direction on the stick, and flick the C-stick up or down. Done correctly, the turn-around animation is completely skipped, and Yoshi does the smash facing towards the opponent, so that the first hit of the downsmash connects as opposed to the second.

:yoshi: The Result
A Yoshi constantly in motion, and a threat from a considerable distance. Using Sprint-Dashes and a pretty basic sense of spacing, you're able to avoid pretty much any attack just because you don't enjoy being so close to your opponent. It allows you to play a hit-and-run game, something Yoshi's attacks are almost built for. It also makes the opponents chase you and attempt to predict you, which creates mistakes. Essentially, constant use creates an ongoing mindgame, putting pressure on the opponent while only allowing him to attack when opportunity clearly knocks.

Additional Mixups
Wave-land Sprint Dash - Pretty obvious, you can do a sprint-dash from a waveland.
SHFFL, Sprint-Dash, and Punish - Practice SHFFLing a B-air through an opponent's shield, then quickly sprint-dashing away. If he tries to quickly counter, you can often catch him with a quick forward smash or dash-grab.
Edge Blitz - Sprint-dash off the edge for a quick Edge-Cancelled Egg setup from an Instant Edgehog.
Counter-Edge Game - Sprint-dash off an edgehopped waveland into a grab or JC'd upsmash, or just waveland a D-smash to deal with pesky Marths that like to camp forward smashes.

Bonus
It gets you ladies like mad, no johns. I've gotten so much Yoshi-fangirl poon since I started doing this. Ok maybe not but still this stuff is awesome.

D

Deleted member

skimed the guide, actually saw some applicable stuff so good start on this guide but theres plenty room for more! cant wait to play your yoshi in a ditto next time!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I've just died and gone to Yoshi heaven.

Awesome topic. I love when people get creative with Yoshi, and the turnaround stuff is stuff I've actually been asking around about, but not for Yoshi specifically. Good ish on that mess.

LOL @ "bonus"

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is a good topic for people who need to learn wavedashing tricks. Good job.

I learnt how to reverse upsmash with Pikachu, because of the importance of his upsmash facing the right way. Since then I've applied it to Yoshi's downsmash, most notably doing back facing down smashes on someone's shield when they're on the edge. First hit shield slides them off the edge, 2nd hit poons them.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Holy crap it's Tru=, who ***** me in every way.

By the way Bringer if I ever pull that in a match I'm sending you ten bucks.

D

Deleted member

Holy crap it's Tru=, who ***** me in every way.

By the way Bringer if I ever pull that in a match I'm sending you ten bucks.
hahaha im flattered but i must say,i have seen youre yoshi in action against aho and i was more than impressed:) that combo on poke stadium WOW never have i seen such a combo like that...w/any character for that matter.this guide is going to be awesome for shore man so ill keep tabs on this thread if theres any guide updates!:)

technomancer

Smash Champion
That combo was so bogus, lol, b-air to uptilt with no L-cancelling? Amazinnnnnnnng! Did like 60 or 70% too :D. And then I was like a stock up and Aho had to go play Tope for the finals. I was like ZOMG ****it

He beat me pretty solid on YS though. I need to learn how to move better and control space with Yoshi, I'm so used to Falcon flying all over. His Usmash is a serious beast against shfflers.

Ed: Tell Tyrant thanks for the Sushi, he's awesome :D

D

Deleted member

That combo was so bogus, lol, b-air to uptilt with no L-cancelling? Amazinnnnnnnng! Did like 60 or 70% too :D. And then I was like a stock up and Aho had to go play Tope for the finals. I was like ZOMG ****it

He beat me pretty solid on YS though. I need to learn how to move better and control space with Yoshi, I'm so used to Falcon flying all over. His Usmash is a serious beast against shfflers.

Ed: Tell Tyrant thanks for the Sushi, he's awesome :D
thats what made the comb even better though because i was thoroughly confused cause it ALL connected so well.:laugh: that sucked you guys had to quit that match :( your yshis gonna be tough**** soon man!

dude.for some reasone tyrant says hes quitting smash. :( maybe you can convince him otherwise....

technomancer

Smash Champion
Tell him F that lol! He beat me in a Falcon ditto I need to get my revenge.

There are so many cool people involved in Smash. I don't think I've ever met a scrubby smasher with an attitude. Some people come to win, but mostly I just come to meet people and get better, and that's what it's all about. It's not like I'm going pro any time soon.

I'll come up to Rehoboth with my friend Orvie one of these days and smash with you guys, he has family up there. His Ganon stomps stuff, it's pretty cool.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Updates: This is going to be my new Yoshi Journal :) I'm going to post whatever combos and setups I figure out here, so check back from time to time. Here's a Fumi-style combo to start you off:

Up-tilt -> Dair -> Upsmash KO combo.
Technical - none, just make sure you fastfall and L-cancel that D-air. It's full-hopped. The utilt doesn't really perfectly connect to the d-air, but it's close enough, and for bonus mindgames if they predict you and n-air, DJC and do it anyway. Make sure they land just behind you when you D-air, so you don't miss with the U-smash.
Zelda - 50-70%
M2 - 50-80% ( this ***** M2 so harrrrrd)
Jiggly - 50-55%
Sheik - 75%
Fastfallers it works around 80-120% and is pretty much an auto-kill. Does a solid 50% damage or so, depending how many hits you land, but you may have to chase their DI midair.

And some goofy Sheik combos
Edit: Don't ever try that combo.

And extra bonus: You can waveland a full hop fast fall B-air. See the first post for how to follow up :D

technomancer

Smash Champion
So, tournament tommorrow. I'm busting out the Yoshi, I feel he's my second best because I've been practicing. So here's the deal:

Marth, Falco: I use C.Falcon, and counterpick YS or DL64 with Yoshi if I need to.
Sheik: Yoshi, my C.F can't handle Sheik.
Puff: C.F. unless it's scrubby, then I'll go Yoshi
Peach: C.F... Yoshi not good enough to handle turnip spam (yet!)
Fox: Yoshi, then counterpick CF (my CF is generally good enough to 2-0 non-pro foxes)
Everyone else: Yoshi

So, any cool strats against Sheik? Aside from hope that none show up lol? And I'll definately post the results.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
When Sheik players see you're using Yoshi, they're going to be extremely excited and ready to chain throw you. While they carelessly come running at you trying for a grab, d-tilt their legs, and they'll get extremely annoyed. Always try to keep Sheik above you, cuz she can't do much there, and she will destroy you if you're above her. Also, if you're able to connect with an egg, d-smash will kill at insanely low percents, 60-70%.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Nice info on reverse smashes. O and one more thing. U can run and cancle it ino any smash you want. You have to get a runing start for the down and forward smash. But with the up smash you can do it out of the blue. I usally do it by feal. But im pretty sure just rotate quater circle down as you smash the c-stick in any direction.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Tourney Result: there was no tourney lol! Teams ran over because the program glitched, and unfortunately I didn't have a teammate.

Friendly Results vs. known ppl:
Aho: Fox - 2-stocked, good match, but I got beat by the basics pretty much: Uthrow-Uair, Waveshine-Usmash, etc.
Mew2: 2-stocked as well :/ gross. I couldn't land damaging hits because he applied good pressure and was just over dtilt height.
G-Reg (CF): Owned hard. 3-stock I think. Don't shield vs. CF.
InfernoOmni: Fox - 2-stocked, "That's a pretty good Yoshi" :D
Some Dude's Falco - 3-stocked, lern2powershield lol, I kept trying to powershield and ended up getting stuck.

These are pretty similar results to what I got with Falcon, but there's more to it that I'll elaborate on later.

My CF beat Drunk Hova's Fox, went even with his CF, and I think I beat something of drunk Plairnkk's with Yoshi, or maybe I beat his Fox with my CF too, dunno.

vs. People more at my skill level, I had several close Yoshi battles, but overall I think I lost more than I won. No Yoshi dittos but good **** all around.

Yoshido, yeah, you just press down for a touch and then c-stick it, however, the crouching animation gives you a bit of a delay, and umm... it's obvious as poo lol. Also has to come out after your initial dash is over. It would be nice to have a consistant pivot.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
You know, as long as you smash as soon as the crouching animation begins, then there is no crouching animation and you just smash. Definitely less obvious than 'obvious as poo'. Also - pivotting sucks, wavedash instead. Or should I say, pivotting >>> wavedashing but is way too hard.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Tourney Result: there was no tourney lol! Teams ran over because the program glitched, and unfortunately I didn't have a teammate.

Friendly Results vs. known ppl:
Aho: Fox - 2-stocked, good match, but I got beat by the basics pretty much: Uthrow-Uair, Waveshine-Usmash, etc.
Mew2: 2-stocked as well :/ gross. I couldn't land damaging hits because he applied good pressure and was just over dtilt height.
G-Reg (CF): Owned hard. 3-stock I think. Don't shield vs. CF.
InfernoOmni: Fox - 2-stocked, "That's a pretty good Yoshi" :D
Some Dude's Falco - 3-stocked, lern2powershield lol, I kept trying to powershield and ended up getting stuck.

These are pretty similar results to what I got with Falcon, but there's more to it that I'll elaborate on later.

My CF beat Drunk Hova's Fox, went even with his CF, and I think I beat something of drunk Plairnkk's with Yoshi, or maybe I beat his Fox with my CF too, dunno.

vs. People more at my skill level, I had several close Yoshi battles, but overall I think I lost more than I won. No Yoshi dittos but good **** all around.

Yoshido, yeah, you just press down for a touch and then c-stick it, however, the crouching animation gives you a bit of a delay, and umm... it's obvious as poo lol. Also has to come out after your initial dash is over. It would be nice to have a consistant pivot.

What im not talking just run up and down a someone. I mean say their at 80 or 90 and and landing. or tryin to get back on the stage. That would catch them off gaurd.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'm back britches.

Dthrow, DjC u-air, Downsmash is the **** combo.

I'm off of Falcon for awhile, it seems I play him better when I don't practice, so I'll be hanging out here.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
Is there any difference between dashing into a wavedash and dashing out of a wavedash? The former seems easier to smash out of and easier to perform, but the latter would be better suited for dash grabbing.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Is there any difference between dashing into a wavedash and dashing out of a wavedash? The former seems easier to smash out of and easier to perform, but the latter would be better suited for dash grabbing.
That's about it eh? Here's the quick list:

Dashing into a wavedash leaves you in a standing position, so you can do any (non-dashattack) attack immediately. Dashing out of a wavedash leaves you in the initial dash animation, so you can dashattack, dash grab, dash-jump (great for DjCs), jump cancel into an upsmash or standing grab.

The other important distinction is that when you dash out of a wavedash, whatever momentum you have left in your wavedash is transferred into your dash. Watch Ka-Master Luigi videos, in between stocks he dashes against the direction of his wavedash to create a semi-moonwalking effect. This increases your speed a little.

Top Bottom