• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sliding

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Sliding is a fantastic way of punishing rolls, catching landings, intercepting approaches and moving around the stage. The move is very fast, covers solid distance and has a lingering hitbox with two different knockback trajectories.

But does anyone have any tips on how to use it defensively? A list of projectiles to slide under would be very much appreciated.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I'll sometimes use it instead of rolling to get away from someone. I haven't been punished badly for doing it yet so I continue to occasionally do that. Things it can slide under from my experience.

• Zero Suit Samus' horizontal paralyzer shots.
  • Pit's arrows (if shot horizontal which they rarely are)
  • Thrown Pikmin at the right range
  • Mario's Fireballs as they're bouncing up
  • Little Mac's Jolt Haymaker
I don't think he can slide under any of his own moves in the event of mirror matches or reflect moves unless they're thrown higher than normal.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I actually like using it on approach against step-dodgers. If someone's really good about dodging your stuff, shake em up by doing a slide instead. You'll be too far to punish, and it'll make them hesitate before committing to a dodge next time.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There's no use for the slide defensively or for approaching. /discussion

That said, Mega Man does seem to have a pretty low crouch.

EDIT: Maybe against Duck Hunt/Diddy, but even then there are much better options.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think it is a good surprise approach. I usually wait until late in my first stock to use it when they aren't suspecting it.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
It absolutely is used defensively. Try it on grab-happy opponents. If they're late on a punish for one of your laggier, whiffed attacks, you can safety dtilt for breathing room, since Mega Man lacks a conventional jab that would normally fill this quota. It may be just as fast as the buster, but it knocks them further and clocks more damage. Save the buster for neutral, not grounded close quarters.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't use that move much except for defense, which is pretty useful when avoiding something like Little Mac's Jolt Haymaker.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Good to know about this! I have a hard time stopping these roll spammers

Last edited:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
After watching a bit of NinjaLink's Megaman, I believe that d-tilt is best used as a ledgeguarding tool. The hitbox under Megaman is surprisingly big enough to hit people below the lip of certain stages, which sets up for more edgeguarding opportunities. Honestly, I don't even think that it has any significant uses besides that. Doing it anywhere else generally will get you punished against competent opponents. :l

ソチャラ「Sóchara 」

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AllahuAkbar
3DS FC
0061-0828-3959
One thing I like to do is jump in with a fastfall f-air spaced so that I'd hit them with the tip. If they try to shield grab it, I'll be out of range and can punish the grabs lag with d-tilt. Even with the aerial's landing lag, you still have frame advantage.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
One thing I like to do is jump in with a fastfall f-air spaced so that I'd hit them with the tip. If they try to shield grab it, I'll be out of range and can punish the grabs lag with d-tilt. Even with the aerial's landing lag, you still have frame advantage.
how do you perform this? could you pls post a video? I really need to see this, it doesn't matter if is bad recorded.

Top Bottom