• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sliding D-smash, and other trickery.

SwiggitySwo0ty

Smash Rookie
I can't post links so search on youtube: SSB4- sliding Dsmash

So basically Input Dsmash upon turning acceleration, most characters have a noise like squeaky sneakers or Zelda's high heels at this point. Some have really weird timing like Marth, and some Dsmashes stick people to the ground like Pikachu's.

This can be used with any ground based move that doesn't stick the characters to the ground or take away momentum. I find the Dsmash gets the longest slide though. Other useful moves are Marth's shieldbreaker, any rapid jab (Kirby, Metaknight, Captain Falcon, Bowser Jr.) and approaching with shield.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Off topic, but welcome to the smash boards!! I saw this was your first post :) Even though youprobably were lurking around here without an account for a long while like I probably was before lol

Sirgabite

Smash Cadet
this should probably be known as RDDS (reverse dash down smash) or DRDS (dash reverse down smash) as it can be a very usefull tech in some moments like chases and roll reading

Last edited:

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I wish it helped Sonic's Down Smash range, but unfortunately, it's one of those moves that "sticks" him there. His Up smash's distance with this isn't too wonderful either.

Tanark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tanark
3DS FC
4227-4063-6713
IIRC,there is similar tech called "Slingshot Smash" in Brawl, similar with this. Well, that's a Diddy-only Tech

Last edited:

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
So this is like an easier Perfect Pivot DSmash?

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Quite cool, but its very easy to react to since you have to turnaround first. Should be interesting to see the application.

this should probably be known as RDDS (reverse dash down smash) or DRDS (dash reverse down smash) as it can be a very usefull tech in some moments like chases and roll reading
Just drop the reverse.

Dashing Down Smash is fine.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm assuming this is a lot more difficult on the 3ds?
Yeah, it was considered pretty gimmicky on the 3DS. It seems very useful in this game, especially for tilts. Small Miis have a very long slide, especially useful on the Swordsman who continues his slide on most of his attacks.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I was testing this out a bit, and while it may have been obvious, you can do any move that doesn't cancel momentum and still slide. This means you can do a standing grab while moving.

LightLV

Smash Ace
....do they always make that sound when turning, or is it only on activation of the attack?

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I can see this being pretty useful for some characters, as a solid option to combat Pivot Grabs. It would be hard to pull off, but in certain MUs with a short vs. tall character you'd be able to DSmash to dodge the grab and punish in one go. I imagine this might make WFT even rougher to play now :/ (her grab is really high and can barely grab half the cast from what I've seen)

EDIT: I have gotten it to work with 2 of my mains so far, but it does not seem to work for Fox? Can I get confirmation of this by a higher?

EDIT 2: Got it to work, lol. It's just a really small set of frames to pull it with Fox and locks him to the pivot's location.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
I was testing this out a bit, and while it may have been obvious, you can do any move that doesn't cancel momentum and still slide. This means you can do a standing grab while moving.
wouldnt pivot grabs be better though?

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
think that on olimar doesnt work so mutch @ Myran Myran someone confirm?

JPBeats

Smash Rookie
So, this actually works with a lot of moves besides down-smash like you noted in the OP. I tried every character and here's what I got:

Mario: Jab, D-tilt, U-tilt
Luigi: U-tilt, D-Smash, Neutral B
Yoshi: Jab
Bowser Jr.: Jab, D-tilt, F-tilt, U-tilt, D-Smash
Wario: D-tilt, U-tilt
Donkey Kong: U-tilt, D-tilt, U-Smash
Diddy Kong: D-tilt, U-tilt, U-Smash
Link: Jab, U-tilt, F-tilt, D-smash
Zelda: Jab, U-tilt, D-Smash
Shiek: D-tilt, U-Smash
Toon Link: Jab, U-Tilt, D-tilt, F-tilt, D-Smash, Neutral B
Samus: Down-Smash
Pit: Jab, U-Tilt
Palutena: Jab, U-Tilt
Ike: Neutral B
Robin: Down-B
Duck Hunt: Jab, U-tilt, D-tilt, F-tilt, U-Smash, D-Smash
Kirby: Jab, U-tilt, D-tilt, F-tilt, D-Smash, U-Smash (?)
MetaKnight: Jab, U-tilt, U-Smash, D-Smash
Greninja: U-tilt, F-tilt, D-tilt, D-Smash
Rob: Jab, U-tilt, F-Tilt, D-tilt, D-Smash
Ness: U-tilt, D-tilt
Captain Falcon: Jab, U-Smash
Wii Fit Trainer: Jab, U-tilt
Doc: Jab, Up-tilt, D-tilt,
Sonic: U-tilt

If there's anything missing it's because there was no effect for that character or I might have missed it. I kind of rushed through this and these ones stood out to me. Kirby and Toon Link get a ton of distance from this. Kirby's D-tilt and Toon Link's F-tilt especially. I made a very short vid showing the distance Captain Falcon gets from the rapid jab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhidrSEUUk

Last edited:

CE_TheLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
CE_TheLord
3DS FC
2707-1982-7716
Kirby and toon link travel a crazy distance with this.. It's awesome, I'm looking for some uses you can get from this, the advantage of this technique is that you can grab while sliding, just like pivot grabbing.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I think thats said in the tips on the 3ds

T0MMY

Smash Master
As useful as this was, it was a technique for Brawl (me and my brother enjoyed sliding-taunts with Meta Knight mostly) used back in '08. However, it wasn't applied very much and could have plenty more utility in this gen of Smash, so it's good to see a post sparking interest and hopefully bring out some new techniques that could be used.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can also go through platforms with the momentum. Some characters get a better slide if they do this on the edge of a platform or stage.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
This is interesting tech, but as far as it becoming practical I think that simply walking has a slight advantage to this. You can essentially do anything instantly out of walk while moving without waiting for skid animation. This is assuming you're using someone with fast walking, which I think most of the cast has.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I think it might have potential for mind games and spacing more so than out right attacking. I've already used it to slide back into an opponent and attack them when they thought they were safe.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Oooooo this looks really cool, thanks for bringing it to attention

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
Quite cool, but its very easy to react to since you have to turnaround first. Should be interesting to see the application.

Just drop the reverse.

Dashing Down Smash is fine.
to be fair, you can mix it up with pivot grab or tilt, since you cancel the turnaround animation, with a grab or ftilt instantly.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
This is interesting tech, but as far as it becoming practical I think that simply walking has a slight advantage to this. You can essentially do anything instantly out of walk while moving without waiting for skid animation. This is assuming you're using someone with fast walking, which I think most of the cast has.
The slide is actually from turnaround can sometimes be significantly farther than one can get by walking/drifting. See Mii Brawler. His turnaround slide is very far. Though Mii brawlers moves generally don't conserve momentum, he can make use of a sliding U-tilt, grab, and most notably spotdodge

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
i feel like this thread needs a rival, before the other thread with this thing gets too much attention for something that isn't new.. >_>

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
i feel like this thread needs a rival, before the other thread with this thing gets too much attention for something that isn't new.. >_>
Huh? This is only regarding to sliding in the middle of the stage. The edge of a platform or stage makes the sliding for some characters significantly longer. Although both are the same in concept, they have different uses entirely.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Huh? This is only regarding to sliding in the middle of the stage. The edge of a platform or stage makes the sliding for some characters significantly longer. Although both are the same in concept, they have different uses entirely.
Hmm maybe, still doesn't seem too new to me.

TheLostKokiri

Smash Rookie
NNID
masterlinkace
This seems pretty darn useful at times, I've been using perfect pivot back airs on opponents chasing me, so if I can learn to use this properly it will probably work much better.

Also, as a small note, anybody talking about patches, Sakurai has already said there will be no more balance patches, so the gameplay will stay the same from here. :)

Top Bottom