• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sliding Counter!

Dr3amKinG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2063-0053-5881
So i don't know if this particular tech has been discovered or not, as i searched around the threads and didnt see anything on it. And sorry in advance if this should have been posted in an existing thread.

But while messing around with palutena, i dashed at the cpu and simultaneously input the command for a counter and i noticed the she slid across the ground a good distance. im not sure about the timing or whats causing her to do this but i wanted to post this as it could lead to some cool new tech with palutena.

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
It's happening, one of the many Advanced Techniques is being discovered that's gonna make Palutena a Hidden OP top tier threat!

Seriously though, it's like a 1/5th or 1/4th of an Omega Stage... Nice find! I had a hard time executing this at first, in which case she'll just do a standstill counter. Seems like pretty exact timing, though after playing around with it for a while it seems to be executable consistently enough to be worth being aware of.

Edit: You don't have to do it right out of the start of the dash btw, you can just interrupt your dash with it as well.

Last edited:

Dr3amKinG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2063-0053-5881
It's happening, one of the many Advanced Techniques is being discovered that's gonna make Palutena a Hidden OP top tier threat!

Seriously though, it's like a 1/5th or 1/4th of an Omega Stage... Nice find! I had a hard time executing this at first, in which case she'll just do a standstill counter. Seems like pretty exact timing, though after playing around with it for a while it seems to be executable consistently enough to be worth being aware of.

Edit: You don't have to do it right out of the start of the dash btw, you can just interrupt your dash with it as well.
Glade to see you might be able to make use of it. im just really getting into the competitive side of smash, so my execution is still poor. So i doubt ill be able to make use of it anytime soon.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
got it as well. though I'll have try and get this consistently and try to see how other players will react to it.. it will be punishable if timed incorrectly..

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I had been hoping for a tech like this to appear. Now we can safely slide into an opponent's smash with our counter frames already active. This is huge, huge, huge.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I had been hoping for a tech like this to appear. Now we can safely slide into an opponent's smash with our counter frames already active. This is huge, huge, huge.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I really hope the Wii-U or New 3DS will allow b-sticking as a controller customization option again like in Brawl. Would make this tech so much better!

Dr3amKinG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2063-0053-5881
I really hope the Wii-U or New 3DS will allow b-sticking as a controller customization option again like in Brawl. Would make this tech so much better!
Agreed. im still finding it a little difficult to do when i want to...

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Can someone put up a video? I'm not sure if I'm pulling it off correctly.

Dr3amKinG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2063-0053-5881
Can someone put up a video? I'm not sure if I'm pulling it off correctly.
I have no recording stuff to make a video, sorry. But you should know your doing it right if she stops her dash animation and goes straight into a counter while keep her momentum from the dash.....sorry if this does not help. Its hard to explain lol XD

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Are you getting something similar to a little teleport when performing the technique?

That's what I'm getting.

Dr3amKinG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2063-0053-5881
Are you getting something similar to a little teleport when performing the technique?

That's what I'm getting.
you probably are doing it, but im not sure what you mean when you say teleporting

Starbound

I don't see her actually running while before the counter animation comes up. It's like she rolled (except she didn't because I didn't input a roll) and performed the counter.

Were you getting something like DACUS where she would visibly slide across the ground?

Dr3amKinG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2063-0053-5881
I don't see her actually running while before the counter animation comes up. It's like she rolled (except she didn't because I didn't input a roll) and performed the counter.

Were you getting something like DACUS where she would visibly slide across the ground?
Yea, its like a DACUS except shes moving(or sliding) with a counter instead of an up smash.

Starbound

I might need to put it in 1/4 speed to see what I'm doing then.

EDIT: Put it in 1/4x speed and she's actually not disappearing. It was too fast for me to see a 1x speed. :p

Also, is this technique specific to Palutena or does it work with other counters?

Last edited:

Dr3amKinG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2063-0053-5881
After testing with other characters who have counters, i think shes the only one who can do this. I also happen to notice that you can do this tech out of her normal walk animation and her swagwalk(she wont travel as far tho).

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Holy amazeballs! Now to grab a quick kill and punish that Warlock Punch / Random Charged Smash

Seems like it's somewhere in the middle of the dash. Not a bad timing. Because if you miss it, at least you should still be outside of their smash/pawnch/warlockpunch/etc range.

Seems like it'll be hard to get down, but definitely possible, and worth learning. I'm getting it about one every several tries.

Found some new interesting stuff. I'm noticing there's at least 2 different amounts of sliding.

One is when I perform it away from any edge, it is a small slide, less than a roll.

The second one is when I perform it a set distance away from the edge. It slides me to the very edge and moves me further than the first.

Maybe I'm just imaging things though and the slides are the same. But I seem to be able to do this more often when near the edge.

The second one seems easier to do, but that's just a feeling. I'm not getting it consistently enough to know for sure.

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
After testing with other characters who have counters, i think shes the only one who can do this. I also happen to notice that you can do this tech out of her normal walk animation and her swagwalk(she wont travel as far tho).
Not completely true, Ike is also able to do this.

Though I can live with that, would be a bit of a bummer if Mac or Marth/Lucina got it. :dr-_-:

The easiest way to test this (in case you're wanting to test other strange stuff) is to go into training and use the L for 1/4 speed mode. Hold a direction and then press L until you're fully dashing, release L before releasing the circle pad, now hold down-b and press L again. :D After doing this on every character with a counter/reflect/absorb found Ike is the only one that gets any noticable extra distance from this.

Last edited:

Dr3amKinG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2063-0053-5881
Not completely true, Ike is also able to do this.

Though I can live with that, would be a bit of a bummer if Mac or Marth/Lucina got it. :dr-_-:

The easiest way to test this (in case you're wanting to test other strange stuff) is to go into training and use the L for 1/4 speed mode. Hold a direction and then press L until you're fully dashing, release L before releasing the circle pad, now hold down-b and press L again. :D After doing this on every character with a counter/reflect/absorb found Ike is the only one that gets any noticable extra distance from this.
I totally forgot ike had a counter XD. But thanks for the training tip, i never would have thought to use that L-1/4 speed to test new tech or practice old ones :p.

And im not sure if this is helpful or not but if you preform this tech as soon as you touch your opponent you'll slide right through them.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Yeah I've tested the other Characters counters as well and only got it with Ike and Palutena.. though I'd have to say Palutena's slide looks better and quicker..

Green Spiny

Smash Cadet
Really nice find! I'm only able to pull it off consistently while walking though. Only got it to work once while dashing, and it was just by luck. A video reference would help I think.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Seems you can do it via walking and running, too. I just hope it's useful against certain matchups, like trying to bait Sonic out of his spin dashes as you approach.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
I feel like you can pull it a bit easier when you are "running" / fast walking. I got to max speed walking and then just countered. It pushes Palutena (and the counter) up a bit.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Yeah I actually found out about this a while back but didn't say anything lol. I didn't think it would be that helpful but after looking at the comments, I see how it can be. I will try to work this in my game somehow. It seems like you would use this sparingly, but it's another way to beat out predicted whiff attacks or to punish attacks that are out of range.

Mega May

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I ended up making a small highlights video of the Palutena Counter Slide, and showing some applicability. I fought a level 5 Samus only using her counter and reflect to see what could be done. I really like the Counter Slide, thanks for the tip! This is what it looks like for those asking:

If there's more interest in having an L 1/4 video of how it's done, I'll do one, but I just followed -Jax's instructions. It seems if you're dashing, you have to wait for the dust to settle, and it is a lot easier to do while you are walking or fast walking.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
That counter at 0:18 is precisely the kind of application that could make this move really good! If you could pull it off at will, I think it could be amazing.

Mega May

Smash Rookie
Absolutely. It occurred completely by random, but after it happened, I knew that would be one of its big uses. Essentially, this application just makes it another tool in the toolbox and giving her a little more versatility when people mis-smash. I also like the idea of running into an attack that you can visibly see, such as when I ran into the small bomb Samus drops to counter it. I unfortunately missed the counter attack, but was able to pull it off. Something like Dedede's spike ball throw, etc.

Last edited:

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
Is there a specific input for this? Or do I just have to slap DownB really fast while dashing?

Kendude

Smash Cadet
Is there a specific input for this? Or do I just have to slap DownB really fast while dashing?
That's pretty much it.

This tech is super easy to do while walking as well as in 1/4 speed in training mode, which leads me to maybe wonder if you have a very small amount of frames to do the counter out of a dash to get the slide. If so then given how easy and consistent it is to get a slide out of just walking, is it going to be worth it to practice getting a big slide out of a dash?

Of course as was mentioned above B-Sticking will hopefully make this cake, which makes it more viable of course.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I've been trying this for over 20 minutes but I've only been able to do it once D: on accident. I can do it out of walk just fine, and it's really easy to do if you dash and then turn around and do it out of the startup dash

I think it would helpful if someone did a slowed down video and point out the EXACT frame(s) you need to i input the counter a at for it to work...

Last edited:

Kutios

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kutios
3DS FC
3540-1275-4035
Amazing tech.

I'm currently trying it out. and as I test more, it seems easier to do if you try quarter circle motion in the start up of the dash or walk. So > - sliding downward - v + b. (Like street fighter style, lol)

I suggest trying that for those who have problems doing it consistently.

Mega May

Smash Rookie
Some of the things I've learned about it:

There are 3 different stops when you press down B. It's either that, or my eyes are fooling me. There's the one where you slide 1/4th or 1/5th of the field, one where you slide the length of Palutena, and one where you come to a complete stop instantly. I'm not sure what causes the difference between the one where you slide the length of Palutena.

It also turns out you will go through the enemy, but that's only if you have enough room to go through the enemy. Otherwise, you will push them. In this video, you'll see where if the enemy is at the end of the counter slide, you will push them a little bit instead of going through them.

You can not do the slide counter within the first 1/8th of a second from the beginning of the dash.

As you can tell from the timing of it, there are very few frames in between moving and initiating the counter where this succeeds.

Here's a video. Me inputting the in 1/4th time with L Stop is at both the beginning and end of the video.

At the 0:40s mark, I go into 1/2 speed and run around failing a bit. You can see the difference between the slides. 1:27 is the slide where she goes the length of herself. Right after that is a full-stop.

At 1:45, I start messing with where she begins being able to slide counter after initiating a dash.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
The counter at 2:03 is the one that will probably be the most devastating. Look at that range and speed that she gets from point A to B!

I've been able to replicate the same move every so often, but only at the edge. Like in the video, it takes Palutena right to the edge and activates the almost-falling-off animation. Can't tell if I'm just inconsistent or if it actually has something to do with the edge.

Edit: Confirmed that I can get the sliding counter to the edge 8/10 times. I may be able to put up a video in a day or two.

Last edited:

Mega May

Smash Rookie
I would be really interested to see some of the application for stopping a Captain Falcon or someone using a side B trying to get back onto the ledge. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm weary to try this online with some random people. Maybe some of you would be interested in some human testing? :O

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Some people may try to land on stage using an aerial as well, ie. Marth. They see a dashing Palutena and may assume their range will beat her dash attack, but we bust out a counter instead! Not sure how useful it would be in reality though. I'm up for some testing if you can play within the hour. Afterwards I'll be busy.

I'm also interested to see if I can pull it off with the same rate online.

Friend code: 3582-8927-0427

Mega May

Smash Rookie
I'm currently in the middle of some major studying for the week, cramming for 3 tests in the next three days. I'll send you a PM later with my friend code and see if we can't schedule something a few days from now.

Top Bottom