• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleeping Safely: Jigglypuff Defensive Game

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
This thread is much like my old one. Actually, it improves both that and the Jiggs DI thread. The propose of this is to introduce better defensive tactics into Jigglypuff's offensive metagame. I was thinking how the metagame could be improved; what did it need. I thought of the two main tactics that everything else is in: Defense and Offence. Offence I felt was great already. It was very aggressive, and using the WoP almost guarantees you a K.O. if you have your opponent off stage. I felt that was Jigglypuff’s strongest point, but then I thought about defense. Jigglypuff is the lightest character in the game and is very easy to kill; and that’s where I thought of DI. Once I used these DI tactics, it helped me live to over 160% or 170% every match. But it wasn’t because I was simply avoiding a K.O. from a smash attack; if I was hit with any smash attack at that damage, I would have died. Getting hit was the main problem here; if you avoid getting hit, you avoid taking damage, and you avoid being K.O.ed.

Shielding

Standard Shielding
Standard shielding is great for blocking attacks, and lets you grab out of it which is almost impossible for your opponent to avoid. You don't need to predict when an attack is coming; shielding is instinctive one you are used to using it. When you are being hit with a "drill d-air" like Jigglypuff's, the best thing to do is lightly tilt the control stick toward your opponent while shielding, because after the first 1/2 second of the attack, it will poke through your shield. Tilting the shield around like this avoids this.

Power Shielding
Power shielding is when you shield directly as you are hit with an attack. (This makes a clanging noise) The useful thing about this is that it gives your opponent a lot of knockback, and you don't slide back from the attack like you would with a normal shield. Use this opportunity to use an attack rather than a grab. (Smash attack or tilt)

Dodging

Spot Dodging
Spot dodging is not as useful as shield, but it is great when combined with the shielding system. When an opponent comes at you and uses a jab combo, or a tilt, shield it. After being shielded, they believe you are open for a grab. Tap down on the control stick while in shield and perform a spot dodge. This will leave them open as the miss the grab. If it is a grapple character like Link, Lucas, Samus ect., use an charged F-smash or even a rest if you can act quickly enough. If it is a character with a normal grab, use a C-stick f-smash.

Air Dodging
Jigglypuff utilizes the air dodge very well. It is a great approach technique combining short hops and dodges; sometimes into buffered shields. (hold the shield button until you hit the ground.) It is important to use this to avoid both projectile, and melee attacks from opponents. Don't forget to use this whenever an attack comes at you in the air, for it will help you break from chains and combos.

Rolling
Rolling is a fast way to space yourself from an opponent, and a good way to get behind an opponent. Rolling is considered a risky technique, because you are left open for attack after using it longer than a spot dodge. Another use for rolling is to easily get around attacks like Ike's quick draw, Snake's dacus, Fox and Falco's side B, ECT.

Safe Moves
Safe moves are attacks that are hard to counter or gimp, and are good spacers. Jigglypuff lacks safe moves according to "Crazy Cloud", but he still has his share of useful attacks that are considered "safe":

Pound:
Pound is one of the best and most basic special moves in the game. The best if you ask me. It is hard to gimp because it absorbs 2/3 of the projectiles in the game, and it counters almost every melee attack in the game. This is because it has a giant hit box that overlaps with the hit box and hurt box of your opponent's attack. It also lasts very long, and eats 1/2 of your opponent's shield. It is a very defensive attack.

U-Tilt/F-Tilt
Jigglypuff's U-Tilt is hard to shield grab because it repeats very fast. Your opponent will be hit while performing the grab. It also can not he spot dodged, and can counter a miss-timed F-smash or dash attack. His F-Tilt is good for spacing. It seems like an aggressive move, but it is like a surprise GTFO move xD.

Dash Attack
Jigglypuff's Dash attack like all the other dash attacks is a good spacer and GTFO move. It's strong and could be used to punish an opponent as they recover from landing lag.

Retreating Aerials
These I find very useful, and I suggest you use them regularly. if you C-stick a B-air or F-air and DI backwards, you can mind game, and bait your opponent's dash attack or other forward momentum move and counter it. This works on a large variety of special moves like:
-Flame Choke
-Wizard's Foot
-Raptor Boost
-Falcon Kick
Attack that F-air or B-air counters works.

Directional Influence
As one of the lightest characters in the game, Jigglypuff users MUST use proper DI in order to survive as long as most heavy characters last. You need to understand the dimensions of the KO box around each stage. The main types of DI are:
-TDI: Tilt the control stick (tilt DI)
-SDI: Tilt the c-stick (smash DI)
-ADI: Tilt both the C-stick and the control stick (advanced DI)

There are also different situations were DI is needed.
-Recovery DI: Using DI to recover from an attack
-Combo Breaker DI: Using DI to escape combos.

Using the three kinds of DI on these three DI scenarios can help advance Jigglypuff in battle.

Tilt DI
Tilt DI is the simplest form of DI, and is used only with the control stick. If you are launched vertically, TDI left down, or right down. If you are launched horizontally, TDI back and up. Here you are traveling left or right toward the sides of the KO box. Slowing your momentum with the control stick pointing away from the side of the box and up to push most of the momentum to a higher point of the box.

smash DI
Smash DI is more complicated then tilt DI, but not as useful. However, while using it alone is a bad idea, using it with TDI is very useful. But that is ADI which I will explain next. Momentum Canceling is using you aerial with the least starting lag to (not n-air) to cancel your momentum out of your hit stun. Jigglypuff's fastest starting aerial is unknown to me as of now (frame data). But using a B-air, F-air, or U-air will work. N-airs don’t work, because you are using the c-stick to momentum cancel, and your control stick to DI. You can also use SDI to get out of standard combos depending on how you tilt the c-stick.

Advanced DI
Advanced DI is the kind of DI you will spend most of your time doing. It is a combination of SDI and TDI used to recover combo break, and perform combos. To correctly momentum cancel with ADI: when launched vertically, SDI momentum cancel----TDI left/right and down.
When launched horizontally, SDI momentum cancel-----TDI toward stage and down. Using it to combo break is to TDI in the same direction as your SDI, or in different directions. Each standard combo is avoided by different SDI and TDI.

Recovery DI:
Utilizing the momentum cancel technique works amazing. It cuts your extra launch knockback by 1/3, and becomes a habit. Since most of your aerials are fast, use any of them. The good thing about this is that you simply tilt the control stick and the c-stick toward the stage, and keep tapping the c-stick. The other for of recovery DI is simply tilting to the stage from minor attacks, and fatal blows. It is better to DI to grab the edge, because Jigglypuff floats a lot better than others which this is more risky for. From there, advance with ledge hopped aerials.

Combo Breaker DI
This is used to escape from standard combos and repetitive attacks like Ivysour's Bullet Seed, Fox and Kirby's U-tilt juggle, and Sheik's F-tilt combo. Using a combonation of the C-stick and the control stick, you can escape quickly from these, and prevent from taking damage.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Utilizing these techniques can help Jigglypuff stay alive longer in battle. Disscuss how some of these tactics can be used. Soon list all of the combos you can break from as well as the tilt directions on how to do so. This will take some testing.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Errr, I like how organized this is and it looks like you put some effort into it. But, isn't this is all basic information that applies to any character >_>.

A few parts I have a disagreement with.

As far as safe moves go, Jiggly does not posses any by herself.

Veril's research on landing rest by your opponent setting it up is awesome, and under the set conditions it will make Rest a safe move. I'd be willing to bet that Nair could be substituted for Rest in some cases, making his data and research even more useful since it could be applied many times a match, instead of three (but an important three, being that they're killing moves).

Pound. I'll give you a good comparision. Whenever fox was offstage in Melee, and couldn't make it back to the stage with his double jump alone, that was a lost stock against a good opponent. Pound isn't as severe as Fox's recovery, but still. If it hits a shield, Jiggly is going to get punished by a good opponent. It's too laggy for one, so either you space it so the end of pound's duration connects, which leaves the opponent able to space/punish as they see fit. If you run in and hit with the beginning of the move, then you're stuck in lag and you will be punished. It's a good move, and good at eating shields, but it also leaves her open to attack when it eats said shield.

Rolling to get behind an opponent? *facepalm* Take that line out please lol.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Errr, I like how organized this is and it looks like you put some effort into it. But, isn't this is all basic information that applies to any character >_>.

A few parts I have a disagreement with.

As far as safe moves go, Jiggly does not posses any by herself.

Veril's research on landing rest by your opponent setting it up is awesome, and under the set conditions it will make Rest a safe move. I'd be willing to bet that Nair could be substituted for Rest in some cases, making his data and research even more useful since it could be applied many times a match, instead of three (but an important three, being that they're killing moves).

Pound. I'll give you a good comparision. Whenever fox was offstage in Melee, and couldn't make it back to the stage with his double jump alone, that was a lost stock against a good opponent. Pound isn't as severe as Fox's recovery, but still. If it hits a shield, Jiggly is going to get punished by a good opponent. It's too laggy for one, so either you space it so the end of pound's duration connects, which leaves the opponent able to space/punish as they see fit. If you run in and hit with the beginning of the move, then you're stuck in lag and you will be punished. It's a good move, and good at eating shields, but it also leaves her open to attack when it eats said shield.

Rolling to get behind an opponent? *facepalm* Take that line out please lol.
Yeah that line is pretty bad. Her closest to a safe move is bair, but that isn't that safe. And nair takes too long compared to rest.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that line is pretty bad. Her closest to a safe move is bair, but that isn't that safe. And nair takes too long compared to rest.
Does it? My mistake. I hope Veril's data can be used for more than just rest eventually, he's put a lot of effort into collecting it.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Does it? My mistake. I hope Veril's data can be used for more than just rest eventually, he's put a lot of effort into collecting it.
No I meant that rolling under an opponent is very stupid. Try doing that to a mediocre Pikachu or a R.O.B. or just about anybody but a Jigglypuff and tell me the results. The won't be pretty.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
also, its must faster to roll the cstick away from the direction of the hit instead of tapping. between the 3 furthest directional inputs i think is the best

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
No I meant that rolling under an opponent is very stupid. Try doing that to a mediocre Pikachu or a R.O.B. or just about anybody but a Jigglypuff and tell me the results. The won't be pretty.
Excuse the confusing mix-up, I was replying to your comment on Nair. I was picturing Nair being a substitute for Rest, against some of the moves Veril listed. Resting an opponent's mistake at 0% isn't a great choice.

I wish Christmas would be here already, all the shopping has me buggin.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I just thought defense is very important, and jigglypuffs are too aggeressive. But if you think thiat it is a good idea to run around and use WoP full out on your opponent without thinking about anything but getting them off the stage, mabey thats how all jigglypuffs should be. Roll does not suck. Roll never helped you before? You thing that it is THAT easy to punish? It does leave you open, it is risky. I mentioned that; but rolling behind your opponent while they do a smash attack gets you killed? in that case you must be pretty slow when you get on the other side.
No safe moves. You must not understand the concept. They are for spacing. They are attacks that are SAFE to do. They dont get gimped easily.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Excuse the confusing mix-up, I was replying to your comment on Nair. I was picturing Nair being a substitute for Rest, against some of the moves Veril listed. Resting an opponent's mistake at 0% isn't a great choice.

I wish Christmas would be here already, all the shopping has me buggin.
No it isn't but nair is a fair amount slower so you don't have the same option. If they are below rest kill percentages, then just DI out of the move if its a jab.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Roll does not suck. Roll never helped you before? You thing that it is THAT easy to punish? It does leave you open, it is risky. I mentioned that; but rolling behind your opponent while they do a smash attack gets you killed? in that case you must be pretty slow when you get on the other side.
No safe moves. You must not understand the concept. They are for spacing. They are attacks that are SAFE to do. They dont get gimped easily.
Rolling to get behind an opponent is a stupid choice to make :laugh:. Your scenario depends heavily on what attack is used, and I can't think of one that I would want to roll BEHIND the opponent for. It lets the opponent overcome their lag, and grants them options that you've stupidly allowed them to have. Rolling away is always a better option than rolling behind them. As far as punishing goes, shielding the attack and punishing is an infinitely better option.

As far as safe moves go, I think you have a skewered concept of what a safe move is. Jiggly does not posses any on her own. Why don't you re-read my topic, Alex and Mike would have told me that my views on the subject were invalid if that were the case, but they didn't. So are you saying that they're wrong as well?

PND

Smash Champion
I really can't imagine a scenario where rolling behind your opponent is the best choice to make. It's stupidly punishable. Roll spamming is BAD. Even if your back's to the edge, jump away and air dodge, shield, or dodge. The best case scenario from rolling behind the opponent is they use a stupidly slow move, and you can't capitalize. You just didn't get hit.

The far more likely scenario is eating a Dsmash or something similar, and taking stupid damage. Jiggs can't afford to take stupid damage.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
i lose to roll spamming d3's alot but thats about it. roll grab roll grab, throw waddle and u-tilt the whole match and your forced to chase them the whole match extremely annoying

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I really can't imagine a scenario where rolling behind your opponent is the best choice to make. It's stupidly punishable. Roll spamming is BAD. Even if your back's to the edge, jump away and air dodge, shield, or dodge. The best case scenario from rolling behind the opponent is they use a stupidly slow move, and you can't capitalize. You just didn't get hit.

The far more likely scenario is eating a Dsmash or something similar, and taking stupid damage. Jiggs can't afford to take stupid damage.
Exactly. And Woodman, IRL, you shouldn't lose to a foolish DDD like that. His shield is too good so he should not be rolling, he should be camp owning you.

Veril

Frame Savant
On rolls:

In my thread, if I listed roll rest as an option it:

1. requires exactly the right spacing
2. no f-ing up on your part at all, ie, buffer the rest
3. they will still be in lag at the point you are able to rest them. I only listed moves meeting this prerequisite.

or.
4. They have royally f-ed up, in which case better options are generally available.

As you can imagine this works vs. very few moves and even then is risky.

Just... don't roll towards people. Roll-rest is the only reason to do this and it kinda sucks.

On defense:

You should add rest interrupts to your SDI thing. It is Jiggs specific, it has been confirmed for a number of moves (ex. TL's F-smash, Luigi's dash attack and AA-upb combo), it isn't that hard to do, it leads to a KO move and allows you an escape option vs. moves that normally would f you up.

My personal bias is towards listing Perfect rest, as it is immediate (ie, faster than airdodge) and can't be countered. Its especially good vs DACUS and all the moves you listed under retreating aerials. Its usefullness increases dramatically on levels with water or in 2v2 (like whoa). You don't have to list this though.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
On rolls:

In my thread, if I listed roll rest as an option it:

1. requires exactly the right spacing
2. no f-ing up on your part at all, ie, buffer the rest
3. they will still be in lag at the point you are able to rest them. I only listed moves meeting this prerequisite.

or.
4. They have royally f-ed up, in which case better options are generally available.

As you can imagine this works vs. very few moves and even then is risky.

Just... don't roll towards people. Roll-rest is the only reason to do this and it kinda sucks.
wll if there noob and charge a smash that cant hit from behind its a good option to roll and then grab but i yea, unlikely to happen

Veril

Frame Savant
wll if there noob and charge a smash that cant hit from behind its a good option to roll and then grab but i yea, unlikely to happen
That was covered in point #4. royally f-ing up b/c they're a noob (or stoned :p).

Oh, I'm doing a massive analysis of risk vs. reward for rest. I'll post it... someday lol

Top Bottom