• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skyworld slide... thing

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
With all my lurking and searching, I did not find anything about this, but with my luck, I'm sure this is old news... but, oh well... I'll give it a shot (please lock/delete this thread if it's old).

Now, I'm not trying to create or discover the new wavedash, and I'm pretty sick myself of all the claims of wavedash discoveries. Regardless of how similar this is.

So, I was just practicing on Skyworld, and breaking the platforms, and I came across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42zmBXyZ6u4 (sorry for the crappy quality)

Basically, by standing at the edge of one of the platforms with a broken one next to it, and pressing diagonally down/forward, you get this slide. It acts a little strange at times... sometimes you'll turn around, some attacks will cancel the momentum, some wont.

I did a little testing, and the cause of it seems to be that when you fastfall off an edge quickly, some characters feet will sort of twitch below them then come back up. So I guess since the platform is so close, that little twitch will hit the ground and send you forward. Or maybe it's just that it's a little slope.

I haven't tested all of the characters, but I know some characters cannot do it. Fox, Falco, and Luigi seemed to have the best results out of the characters I've tried it with. Zelda, Mario, Peach could not do it. Samus can barely do it. I think it has to do with how fast the character falls off the ledge, and timing may be slightly different depending on the character.

So, you can attack at any point in the slide, but any attack that either has backward momentum, or stopping power, will end the slide.

I doubt much will come from this, but it's still pretty interesting. I'm pretty sure Skyworld is the only stage where this is possible, but I could be wrong. I haven't really tested much.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Thats pretty cool.
Good find. =)

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
This is actually a nice find. Granted, it doesn't look like it'll have too much of an effect on ANYTHING, but I guess tourney matches on Skyworld will be a little.. different from now on.

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
Nice find. I may have to implement this on my friends if they ever force me to go to Skyworld, hehehe...

phosphorus

Smash Cadet
So it would appear that the physics for the wavedash are still there, just the way to start it is gone. Maybe an Ocoreana (or however it's spelled) code could re implement it to some capacity.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
OMG! It's the new wavedash!!!!11!1 :laugh:

j/k

But in all seriousness, I wonder how this will factor in into the discussion of having it as a legal CP stage. Or is this already known?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Good find, too bad Skyworld is banned, let's hope it stays that way
Except it's not. The SBR has it as Banned/Counterpick. Which means it's up to a TO to put it in either category.

Also, the SBR indicates that once a stage is banned, it never becomes unbanned. Which makes sense, since the competitive community will have dropped it out of consideration.

Equus

Smash Cadet
Cool find, Melo, though I doubt that this will make Skyworld any less illegal.

I did a little testing, and the cause of it seems to be that when you fastfall off an edge quickly, some characters feet will sort of twitch below them then come back up. So I guess since the platform is so close, that little twitch will hit the ground and send you forward.
Could this possibly work on any other stage? I don't think Skyworld is the only stage with platforms that are that close. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Cool find, Melo, though I doubt that this will make Skyworld any less illegal.

Could this possibly work on any other stage? I don't think Skyworld is the only stage with platforms that are that close. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I haven't gone into detail with other stages, but I have tried making a custom stage with two different platforms next to each other. Not much happened, but occasionally there was some weird twitching movements. Maybe the button input could be different, but I didn't get any good results.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
So it would appear that the physics for the wavedash are still there, just the way to start it is gone. Maybe an Ocoreana (or however it's spelled) code could re implement it to some capacity.
Ocarina.

And nah, I don't think they'd be able to replicate this, because it's merely a side-effect of Brawl's physics and two platforms extremely close to each other.

Also, the OP stated that some moves may cancel the momentum from the slide, meaning it's NOT a perfect wavedash.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Ocarina.

And nah, I don't think they'd be able to replicate this, because it's merely a side-effect of Brawl's physics and two platforms extremely close to each other.

Also, the OP stated that some moves may cancel the momentum from the slide, meaning it's NOT a perfect wavedash.
Right. Like I said, I'm not really trying to proclaim a new "wavedash in Brawl" discovery, just merely a little trick I found that is interesting, regardless of how useful it is. Now if we could figure out a way to use this elsewhere, it'd be very useful, but I highly doubt it can be used anywhere else.

But yeah, things like Fox's forward/down smash don't cancel the slide because neither of them have backwards/stopping momentum, but things like Luigi's forward smash will end it since the attack cancels momentum.

phosphorus

Smash Cadet
So it sounds more like an MvC style dash IF it could be implemented. And keep in mind, wavedashing was also a side effect. Before Brawl's release, I was hoping for wavedashing to be out, but be replaced by something less fiddly (also like MvC). I don't like the 'cube controller. But it's the one I dislike the least. There are people working on this kind of thing again, I think, so we'll see.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So it sounds more like an MvC style dash IF it could be implemented. And keep in mind, wavedashing was also a side effect. Before Brawl's release, I was hoping for wavedashing to be out, but be replaced by something less fiddly (also like MvC). I don't like the 'cube controller. But it's the one I dislike the least. There are people working on this kind of thing again, I think, so we'll see.
Yeah, if this could be implemented elsewhere, it could be pretty huge, but I'm extremely doubtful on that. It would seem that the only place this could work (or is at least worth testing) is platform changes; any spot where there's an edge touching a platform. I tested, but not extensively, doing it on a custom stage with a two bricks with a floor thing between them, and occasionally it looked different than normal... but I didn't get any results.

I could test more, but I'm not sure how much it'd be worth the trouble :laugh: I'm fairly certain that it only happens in cases like in Skyworld, where the platforms are set in such a way.

Top Bottom