• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Skyworld Hub - "Soaring through the Skys"

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He has a ZAir, that's a plus over Ness. His PK Fire... is it a plus over Ness? I wouldn't really say so. In Brawl maybe, but Ness's PK Fire sets up for a lot of combos that Lucas could use. PK Fire to grab, anyone? That's something Lucas desperately needs. The spacing on the PK Fire is a plus... but overall, it doesn't quite benefit Lucas in a way that you would like it to. His only reliably kill moves are BAir and UThrow. All of his smashes are slow except for FSmash but there's no way to set up into them.

PK Magnet is better than Ness's.

His recovery is a definite plus. But his PK Thunder can't be used on the ground at all due to the high endlag and the fact that it opponents can be knocked out of the PK Thunder and into Lucas for an easy punish (since it's multihit, it doesn't end when it hits the opponent so usually the opponent can escape while Lucas is still in PKT mode. Easy punish when you factor in the endlag on top of that). If you PKT2 on the ground, you'll likely go so far that it kills you because it doesn't stop on shield or contact with anything, really. Also, PKT2 doesn't kill until like 130%. No juggles, no early kills, no ground mindgames. On top of not being able to kill. It's only good for recovery and nothing else. Kinda like his tether grab, the worst in the game.

His Nair is good, but none of them have the kill power or utility of Ness's. Even his UAir, which can kill, seemingly only has more range than Jigglypuff's Rest.

I actually play Lucas. But even I can see that there's no reason to use him over Ness, just like there's no real reason to use Dark Pit over Pit (though I do think Dark Pit is actually better in customs). I just think he's fun to play with and I refuse to use Ness because my rival uses Ness.

Lucas could actually use a lot of the things Ness has, like Ness's PK Fire, and Lucas's PKT2 has all the nerfs in terms of damage and multihit that Ness's has (why wouldn't Lucas's hit harder if it's slower, meaning easier to read, has more endlag, meaning more dangerous to use, and can't be use for juggles?).

Lucas has defensive options with the Magnet, PKT on recovery, and the spacing on PKF, yes... but in what ways do those things improve his game as a character? Ness doesn't do damage on his Magnet but it was buffed to have much less endlag, he can use PKT for juggling, deterring approaches, tacking damage on off-stage, protecting himself from edgeguards, etc, while Lucas is only good for recovery and almost ungimpable (and Ness's PKT2 is already near ungimpable just due to the fact that if your opponent whiffs, they die. Even though Lucas's is harder to penetrate, you won't get punished very badly for trying). And with the new multihit mechanics in this game, Ness's PK Fire is superior to Lucas's when you look at its total utility, and when you look at how much Lucas needs Ness's PK Fire to set up for his terrible tether which can't even grab out of shield. Lucas's PK Fire is great... until you realize you'd rather the opponent be trapped in place and racking up damage so you can set-up your stringer moves instead of blown back.

So yeah, besides killing with PK Magnet sometimes, what exactly does Lucas do better than Ness? Lucas's game revolves around a spacing PK Fire and a grab that just isn't going to grab very often. Ness's game can revolve around any parts of his whole moveset.
Almost all of Ness's ground moves suck. He mainly just uses aerials until you crack from the pressure and let him grab you.

So PK Thunder sucks in general? (You can still get edgeguard kills with it by stage spiking) Try PK Freeze instead for long-ranged harassment. Works great for catching landings too and definitely has more utility than Flash. And just because the risk is high for attempting to stop Ness's recovery doesn't make it harder, heck sometimes even your failure causes him to die as your body cuts his momentum.

Lucas's game is that of punishment. He has all the tools needed to make opponents pay dearly for their mistakes, though as you've said he doesn't indeed have ways to guarantee that they land. So his goal is to make himself extremely difficult
to approach and hit and frustrate the opponent into making those mistakes. And if Lucas gets the lead, you'd better believe Lucas will do everything in his power to ensure it stays that way.

Look, no matter what you say Lucas is not obsoleted by Ness any more than any other lower-tiered character
because what he tries to do is completely different.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If you're talking about Lucas, that's most of what you really can do. He's definitely a hit and run character. Doesn't have very much range at all on any of his attacks besides his Smash attacks, which are slow and unsafe.

Lucas's game revolves around the use of PK Fire. His jab is one of the best in the game though.

Lucas's meta has gotten worse as people have started to realize there's no reason to fear the PKT and his grab game.
About the Jab... Remember the Wavebird thing? Did it to Ness and Lucas for kicks the day after he came out. And other then learning about PK Thunder's endlag and distance differences, I also learned that their Jabs have the exact same frame data. Was it different in Brawl?

Also, fun fact about Roy. His fall speed is the same as Metal Marth's.

And Metal Boxes slightly increase jump height for Sakurai-knows-why so I couldn't properly compare, since it's the same otherwise.

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I mean Ness when he does pk fire. Lucas doesn't spam it alot and the fire continues to go. You get lit up once and that's it.

Laggy matches or team battles are when it happens for me. I also hate how people are being teir whores and copying other people instead of either sticking with their original main, create their own commbos, or playing a character that actually intrest them.
Laggy matches smh :drsad:

And those kind of people really piss me off SO much.

Smash is a game were your supposed to have fun with your fav chars, not to pick chars that have an easy "win" button.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:4pit::4wiifit::4darkpit::4ryu::4ganondorf:

Smash is a game were your supposed to have fun with your fav chars, not to pick chars that have an easy "win" button.
Lag is worse than watching Breadwinners or My Little Pony(not didding anyone who watches it).

Zero may be a tier *****, but he can play every character to make up for it(even won EVO with an extremly nerfed Diddy). Seeing nothing but Top Tier characters in tournaments for every game is extremly annoying and stupid. One day, well see a variety of characters be used in every fighting game(Pit/Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Ryu sometimes, Spiderman, etc.), but until then, everyone will be whoring around with the best character for then all. The world we live in.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382

Sorry about that. But at least my character did not have a easy win button.

But no one likes lag. No body. It is bad but its a thing you know you have to deal one day or another.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
About the Jab... Remember the Wavebird thing? Did it to Ness and Lucas for kicks the day after he came out. And other then learning about PK Thunder's endlag and distance differences, I also learned that their Jabs have the exact same frame data. Was it different in Brawl?

Also, fun fact about Roy. His fall speed is the same as Metal Marth's.

And Metal Boxes slightly increase jump height for Sakurai-knows-why so I couldn't properly compare, since it's the same otherwise.
I didn't play Lucas in Brawl. But does Ness's jab hit characters behind him?

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Almost all of Ness's ground moves suck. He mainly just uses aerials until you crack from the pressure and let him grab you.

So PK Thunder sucks in general? (You can still get edgeguard kills with it by stage spiking) Try PK Freeze instead for long-ranged harassment. Works great for catching landings too and definitely has more utility than Flash. And just because the risk is high for attempting to stop Ness's recovery doesn't make it harder, heck sometimes even your failure causes him to die as your body cuts his momentum.

Lucas's game is that of punishment. He has all the tools needed to make opponents pay dearly for their mistakes, though as you've said he doesn't indeed have ways to guarantee that they land. So his goal is to make himself extremely difficult
to approach and hit and frustrate the opponent into making those mistakes. And if Lucas gets the lead, you'd better believe Lucas will do everything in his power to ensure it stays that way.

Look, no matter what you say Lucas is not obsoleted by Ness any more than any other lower-tiered character
because what he tries to do is completely different.
Edgeguard kills with stage spiking via Lucas's PKT is... not an opportunity that arrises very often, sadly. But yeah, PK Thunder sucks in pretty much every situation outside of recovery. I use it to tack on damage after a PK Freeze though, but it has very low utility... I wish his PKT2 was stronger... no reason why Ness's is that damn powerful but Lucass can barely kill.

I actually like PK Freeze a lot. It's a lot better than PK Flash, but it's stupid that you can barely follow-up with it. "Barely" meaning unless it's very low percents, you're not tacking on any extra damage (which is already reduced due to freeze).

"Sometimes your even your failure causes him to die as your body cuts his momentum". That's hardly reliable at all. Most of the time you get cut by the tail of the PKT and you're wide open to a full blast from PKT2. At that point, even if he misses the ledge, you're already dead.

lol, the high tier characters makes a whole lot of the cast below them obsolete. But if you wanna play that game, then no matter what you say, Lucas is almost completely obsoleted by Ness. I mean, it is what it is. He's an inferior clone who could absolutely love to switch mechanics with Ness on many of his moves.

"Lucas's game is that of punishment". Yeah, well so is everyone else's except Captain Falcon. Even Ness's, who can punish you harder and more efficiently than Lucas can--with the advantage that he does it in a lot of the same situations Lucas does.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Dunno. Didn't know Lucas's did either, if that's what you're saying. Nothing crazy I hope... Or it'll get patched like WFT's shield piercing rar Fair or Zelda's pivot grab that beat out Yoshi's.
Lucas isn't the only character to be able to hit people behind him with a jab. It's fast and powerful and has good knockback and that's what makes it one of the best in the game. Plus it can be tacked on with DTilt, which has literally zero knockback and stun, for extra damage.

He kinda needs his jab. What a mockery it would be for them to patch out anything for Lucas tbh

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
But anyway, all this talk about Lucas, I'm currently in the process of demoting him from secondary to pocket and replacing him with ZSS. I think ZSS augments Dark Pit's weaknesses much better than Lucas and she's actually pretty viable in a lot of ways while still being similar (ex: the worst grab in the game versus the best tether grab in the game).

I'll hold onto Lucas for the occasional Luigi/Mario matchup (his PK Magnet makes contact with Luigi before he can run in on fireball approaches. It's awesome). I was hoping Wolf would come out in August with Hyrule Castle and YouTube integration, but what you said about him working with Smash 4 mechanics has me pretty worried. He was my main in Brawl along with Ike. Better not wait around for him.

Any tips on that Pit-Luigi matchup btw? I see one of my biggest weaknessses is getting grabs and grab setups/combos, ironically.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh right, Pit Vs. Luigi...

Uh, space more? :p I fought a ton of Weegee before his massive buffs and vectoring's "removal," but not a lot of good ones since. Actually haven't been able to fight anybody lately since stuff keeps coming up and my internet is being... Well, yaknow. I have some Smash related plans I want to get to but I need my internet to just co-operate for just a day.

Might as well get to the KO%s thing now. Not too late for me, so some of you can see my results before you log off.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Sorry about that. But at least my character did not have a easy win button.

But no one likes lag. No body. It is bad but its a thing you know you have to deal one day or another.
Hm? I wasn't talking about our matches, I was telling TMN how to deal with PK fire

But at least my character did not have a easy win button.
This seems like your pointing out to me that I have those kind of chars lol

But tbh none of the chars is an "win" button

You have to understand and work with every char to get the best results

Actually I was called a top tier b*tch before 'cause I played :rosalina::4pikachu:

I got told stuff like

"Ugh! Your using brain-dead chars! Stop it!"
":rosalina: isn't hard to master, just uair and shoot Luma out. She's easy"
":4jigglypuff: is just pound and bair. SO EASY"
":4darkpit: is legit 'down-throw the char' and is really easy to master"
"Your :4pikachu: 's lame, don't play it"
"Your chars are not hard to play, they're lame and brain-dead"

The people that complain about chars are worse than tier whores

They're the people that keep complaining and don't do anything to solve the problem smh :glare:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Actually I was called a top tier b*tch before 'cause I played :rosalina::4pikachu:

I got told stuff like

They're the people that keep complaining and don't do anything to solve the problem smh :glare:
Bad For Glory players ruin everything. Copit's Zero or anyone who plays top tier characters for no reason whatsoever , then criticizes other like you when they most likely only play top tier characters. The Smash Community we got not huh?

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Bad For Glory players ruin everything. Copit's Zero or anyone who plays top tier characters for no reason whatsoever , then criticizes other like you when they most likely only play top tier characters. The Smash Community we got not huh?
It wasn't a bad FG guy though

lol FG is like hell don't go there XD

He was pretty good at Smash actually and the matches came pretty close

But whenever I won with :rosalina: he would just ban me to play her

He'd ban my own main, a char that I like to play as

Just to win smh

And always said the same "Brain-dead, easy" comments

And I offered to help with the MU but he said "No, 'cause :rosalina: brain-dead easy and broken. I hate her"

But if :rosalina: was really broken he'd still nerf her

But she did't really get anything too mind-blowing after the first patch

Honestly learn the MU and don't blindly rant on something :glare:

The comments would go even far to rant on :4darkpit: smh the salt

Saying stuff like he's easy and 'down-throw char' :glare:

tbh you can easily go through a stock without using dthrow

And I remember someone saying this but I'll say it again 'cause why not?

:4pit::4darkpit: are like a blank canvas

You can do anything you want with them, and you got the tools

Picking them up/getting an idea for a picture is easy

But you have to use all your skills to truly master them and make that canvas turn into a masterpiece

The road's hard and you'll have some tough times figuring out all the tools but you'll have fun once you got all the tools figured out and use in your own cool style

And :4jigglypuff:.

Why would you rant about :4jigglypuff:?

She's not that good in this game and the mechanics laugh at her

S A L T

:4pikachu: takes a while to learn but damn it will be satisfying 'cause of all his tools

Like my :4pikachu: still has some big holes in it and just banning a person's main is just selfish

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Hm? I wasn't talking about our matches, I was telling TMN how to deal with PK fire

This seems like your pointing out to me that I have those kind of chars lol

I got told stuff like

WHOA WHOA WHOA!! I ain't that kind of smasher. I like fighting who ever when ever. I thought you called me out cause my character had bad MUs. I ain't like that. I do apologize if you feel like I offended you.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
WHOA WHOA WHOA!! I ain't that kind of smasher. I like fighting who ever when ever. I thought you called me out cause my character had bad MUs. I ain't like that. I do apologize if you feel like I offended you.
Aw it's okay :happysheep:

I still don't understand why you'd think I was talking to you though XD

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Alright, got the KO% topic up. Still some pretty big holes I'll get to tomorrow.

Okay, I'm going to sound like a nerd for this, but I'm an actual archer in real life. There's a few old bows around here somewhere... So naturally I'm curious as to how Pit uses his. Brawl Pit is like lolnope and doesn't do anything right, surprise surprise. SSB4 Pit actually knows what he's doing. While his stance is awkward, it's probably justified since it's actually two swords taped together. He lets his Bow drop after firing rather then keeping a deathgrip on it and he slowly pulls and pulls on the string until his fingers slide off, namely. Although he shouldn't be moving the string hand around after firing...

Also, fun fact about bows. Yaknow how Link usually holds his in his left hand, same as his sword hand? That's actually wrong. You're supposed to hold the bow in your weaker hand and pull the string with your dominant hand. Pit's pretty clearly an ambidextrous, since in KIU he used some weapons on his left hand and others on the right. He also switches the hand he holds his Bows in between Braw, KIU, and again in SSB4.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
5th out of 52 yesterday at our offline weekly event. Used a bit of Pit as well.

1st set of the day was a campy :4tlink:.

:4pit: says no to your projectile wall. I love it.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It wasn't a bad FG guy though

lol FG is like hell don't go there XD

He was pretty good at Smash actually and the matches came pretty close

But whenever I won with :rosalina: he would just ban me to play her

He'd ban my own main, a char that I like to play as

Just to win smh

And always said the same "Brain-dead, easy" comments

And I offered to help with the MU but he said "No, 'cause :rosalina: brain-dead easy and broken. I hate her"

But if :rosalina: was really broken he'd still nerf her

But she did't really get anything too mind-blowing after the first patch

Honestly learn the MU and don't blindly rant on something :glare:

The comments would go even far to rant on :4darkpit: smh the salt

Saying stuff like he's easy and 'down-throw char' :glare:

tbh you can easily go through a stock without using dthrow

And I remember someone saying this but I'll say it again 'cause why not?

:4pit::4darkpit: are like a blank canvas

You can do anything you want with them, and you got the tools

Picking them up/getting an idea for a picture is easy

But you have to use all your skills to truly master them and make that canvas turn into a masterpiece

The road's hard and you'll have some tough times figuring out all the tools but you'll have fun once you got all the tools figured out and use in your own cool style

And :4jigglypuff:.

Why would you rant about :4jigglypuff:?

She's not that good in this game and the mechanics laugh at her

S A L T

:4pikachu: takes a while to learn but damn it will be satisfying 'cause of all his tools

Like my :4pikachu: still has some big holes in it and just banning a person's main is just selfish
John ing is even worse than for glory players. Atleast there's a couple people who are actually good there. You need to teach your friend about no johns.
5th out of 52 yesterday at our offline weekly event. Used a bit of Pit as well.

1st set of the day was a campy :4tlink:.

:4pit: says no to your projectile wall. I love it.
You keep getting closer to 1st with Pit, and that makes all or uor bodies Reggie

ZTD | TECHnology

I'm constantly labbing this character. If I'm not at a tournament I'm on Anther's doing ranked and recording them. I learn fast also. Soon, I will get that first place.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well for one, every time there is a specific MU, I need to worry about if they have a spike, cause honestly Pits recovery sucks. It fly's far, but it is easily punishable. Plus there's the tiny issue of HE WON'T GRAB THE GOD DAMN LEDGE.
You have to time the recovery right that's all. It's like with Rosalina and Duck Hunt, anyone can attack them, but you have to be smart about it.

ZTD | TECHnology

Pit has multiple jumps and can recover from the blastzone. You can stall them out almost all of the time before they HAVE to return to the stage and at that point where you know they have to go back, THAT's when you PoF back to the stage. Also learn when to mix it up with Upperarm Dash. I typically don't have issues recovering.

Also Pit is also all about the fundamentals. If your fundamentals are lacking your Pit will be too. Focusing on your basics will really help you in the long run :)

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

The core mechanics behind being able to play any character proficiently:

Spacing
Mindgames
Punishing
Technical Ability

Those sort of things. Some characters excel so much at certain aspects of the game that you can get away with neglecting some of these. But "All-Rounders" like Pit/Dark Pit basically require you to be strong in all of these areas.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well for one, every time there is a specific MU, I need to worry about if they have a spike, cause honestly Pits recovery sucks. It fly's far, but it is easily punishable. Plus there's the tiny issue of HE WON'T GRAB THE GOD DAMN LEDGE.
If your opponent tries to spike you, you should just fall a ways and wait for them to go back. You can literally recover all the way from the bottom blastzone, even if you angle it slightly.

If you're not grabbing the ledge, try aiming lower and into the side of the stage. If there's a vertical wall or a slant like the bottom of FD you'll slide up to the ledge.

I mean, if you're having trouble, you should ask around instead of just dropping the character. Chances are that you're not the only one with the problem.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
wat

And if the opponent tried to spike you might have a chance to still make it back

I mean I recovered from the bottom of :battlefieldb: MULTIPLE times

You just have to practice. You'll get the hang of it :happysheep:

Which MU's?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You have to time the recovery right that's all. It's like with Rosalina and Duck Hunt, anyone can attack them, but you have to be smart about it.
That's a good comparison. Especially Rosie: their recoveries are very similar.

The core mechanics behind being able to play any character proficiently:

Spacing
Mindgames
Punishing
Technical Ability

Those sort of things. Some characters excel so much at certain aspects of the game that you can get away with neglecting some of these. But "All-Rounders" like Pit/Dark Pit basically require you to be strong in all of these areas.
This.

Listen to this.

Pit has multiple jumps and can recover from the blastzone. You can stall them out almost all of the time before they HAVE to return to the stage and at that point where you know they have to go back, THAT's when you PoF back to the stage. Also learn when to mix it up with Upperarm Dash. I typically don't have issues recovering.

Also Pit is also all about the fundamentals. If your fundamentals are lacking your Pit will be too. Focusing on your basics will really help you in the long run :)
And this.

If I could like that second paragraph a thousand times over, I would.

If your opponent tries to spike you, you should just fall a ways and wait for them to go back. You can literally recover all the way from the bottom blastzone, even if you angle it slightly.

If you're not grabbing the ledge, try aiming lower and into the side of the stage. If there's a vertical wall or a slant like the bottom of FD you'll slide up to the ledge.

I mean, if you're having trouble, you should ask around instead of just dropping the character. Chances are that you're not the only one with the problem.
Yeah, it's best to ask first before jumping to any rash conclusions.

We're here to help, ne~? ;3

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
Watching others use Pit (or his clone) helps. Nairo and PinkFresh are the best to find (though Earth is better, he's hard to find footage of). Heck, even using the Replay Channel or asking us to send you videos can help out. And save your replays of close matches; take note of what seems to work well, and what tends to fall flat on its face.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Watching others use Pit (or his clone) helps. Nairo and PinkFresh are the best to find (though Earth is better, he's hard to find footage of). Heck, even using the Replay Channel or asking us to send you videos can help out. And save your replays of close matches; take note of what seems to work well, and what tends to fall flat on its face.
I never trust replay channel for either Pit. Pit players lose all the time for being stupid, Dark Pit does nothing but Electroshock off the stage, and Peach is always undefeatable.

Top Bottom