• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skill slippage

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
it seems I have to train constantly. If I take breaks then my Fg win rate drops from 80 to 30 within a few days. Does this get better with time so my skill will stick more and I can take more breaks?

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I don't really seem to experience anything like that. Mind you I at least play once a week both at meet-ups and against cpus just to keep myself warmed up. If you can't play much its always nice to play at least against a cpu to just keep some type of muscle memory there.

Raijinken

Smash Master
A lot of it just depends on you as a player, and your skillset and whatnot.

For me, in games like Tetris, Smash, and Megaman, I lose skill very slowly (I run through Megaman X once every few months to a year at best and always perform comparably). But in games like Dota, more traditional fighters, or F-Zero, my skill drops pretty quickly if I don't play regularly.

I could be wrong (I'm sure there's a lot of psychology and stuff that goes into that sort of thing that's beyond my knowledge), but ultimately I think it's just a matter of your brain and what you have a knack for. Of course, if you find that your skill atrophies too quickly, a potential solution would be to just keep a regular play schedule (not unlike exercise, in some ways).

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
A lot of it just depends on you as a player, and your skillset and whatnot.

For me, in games like Tetris, Smash, and Megaman, I lose skill very slowly (I run through Megaman X once every few months to a year at best and always perform comparably). But in games like Dota, more traditional fighters, or F-Zero, my skill drops pretty quickly if I don't play regularly.

I could be wrong (I'm sure there's a lot of psychology and stuff that goes into that sort of thing that's beyond my knowledge), but ultimately I think it's just a matter of your brain and what you have a knack for. Of course, if you find that your skill atrophies too quickly, a potential solution would be to just keep a regular play schedule (not unlike exercise, in some ways).
I play a considerable amount of Dota, if I take a long break usually the only thing that will mess me up when I get back into is a major update

Raijinken

Smash Master
I play a considerable amount of Dota, if I take a long break usually the only thing that will mess me up when I get back into is a major update
As an all-around player, I find that if I haven't played in a while it messes up my farming (good thing I prefer to support). That's another good point, though. Changes in metagame or balance can influence skill, and it's possible for select components of skill to degrade without really affecting others.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
As an all-around player, I find that if I haven't played in a while it messes up my farming (good thing I prefer to support). That's another good point, though. Changes in metagame or balance can influence skill, and it's possible for select components of skill to degrade without really affecting others.
gonna assume this is you:http: www.dotabuff.com/players/64739615 #getStalked
I almost always play with friends so it may make a difference, I also usually play one style (offlane) which may be a reason why I don't lose it often when I play. Here is mine if you even care: http://www.dotabuff.com/players/93011207
haven't played a single game this summer though

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
I feel this hard. Taking even a week off ****s me up pretty bad, so I have to pace myself. I only allow myself around an hour of play every day, or else I'll get seriously burnt out. It's weird, the other day I was kicking a ton of ass on For Glory practicing, and then I went to my first weekly yesterday and I just wasn't all there mentally and got eliminated in pools. I wasn't even nervous or anything, I just couldn't do it for some reason. It still stuck with me today, I couldn't do quick attack consistently, I was walking into smashes, I was garbage. But I know that it takes time to be truly great, so I just keep trying again and again, day after day.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It depends on the quality of the opponents. Good quality players and what you learn from them are better remembered.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
It's all about muscle memory.
If you stop training you lose muscle memory
If you have trained a long time it takes longer to lose muscle memory
Everything else is knowledge

Last edited:
Top Bottom