• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SJS CSPs!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Thou would dare produce a filthy half-breed?? Heresy, I say!
I'm just letting him know that risky... and risqué option exists... The only other CSPs I would take over SJS' are the Smash 3 ones. Y'all know demz some glorious pics... Now if SJS were to do CSPs for all the Smash 3 costumes... motherofgod.wav

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
The only other CSPs I would take over SJS' are the Smash 3 ones. Y'all know demz some glorious pics... Now if SJS were to do CSPs for all the Smash 3 costumes... motherofgod.wav
Now THAT is something I would LOVE to see; having my favorite character textures with my favorite CSP creator would be... beautiful... :_D

TOCK

Smash Apprentice
These look great. love them little bears!

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
So I tried to edit this pack in my own build to use the poses/portraits of alternate costumes, as well as SJS' 3.0 Link and Sheik poses as I liked them better. This resulted in the files becoming too big and the game crashing. I also tried a version where I abandoned the SJS 3.0 Link/Sheik poses, but the files were still barely too big.

Does anybody know what is causing this problem, and is there any way of fixing it short of just sucking it up and using SJS' whole pack as-is?

Sempai

Smash Ace
if the problem is that your whole PM file is too large, start taking out music, that takes up a ton of space.

If you think its the costumes themselves messing everything up, check to make sure there compressed properly by checking their format.

I know this messed me up for a while, char_bust_tex stuff needs to be CMPR,
Portraits in CI8, etc.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
How can I get this to work with the addons menu?

Edit: Also, does the Fusion suit CSP look a little off or is it just me?

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
if the problem is that your whole PM file is too large, start taking out music, that takes up a ton of space.

If you think its the costumes themselves messing everything up, check to make sure there compressed properly by checking their format.

I know this messed me up for a while, char_bust_tex stuff needs to be CMPR,
Portraits in CI8, etc.
Specifically, it didn't crash until stage select. Also the common5 specifically was huge (5.4k kb instead of 4.8kb), but it still worked through character select. Is CMPR the default for char_bust_tex and is C18 the default for portraits?

TOCK

Smash Apprentice
Specifically, it didn't crash until stage select. Also the common5 specifically was huge (5.4k kb instead of 4.8kb), but it still worked through character select. Is CMPR the default for char_bust_tex and is C18 the default for portraits?
C18 is the vbrawl format used.
Project M converted most of them to cmpr to reduce file size.

4tlas

Smash Lord
C18 is the vbrawl format used.
Project M converted most of them to cmpr to reduce file size.
So should I convert everything to C18 just in case? I probably won't be able to notice the reduced resolution or anything anyway right?

TOCK

Smash Apprentice
It seems like a file size issue. Turning your CMPRS back to C18 would increase the file size and keep the reduced resolution.
And we don't want that. Bleh!

4tlas

Smash Lord
It seems like a file size issue. Turning your CMPRS back to C18 would increase the file size and keep the reduced resolution.
Oh, right. Silly me. Should I convert everything to CMPRs? Can I even do that?

TOCK

Smash Apprentice
Oh, right. Silly me. Should I convert everything to CMPRs? Can I even do that?
Everything should be put into CMPR to save filespace, unless it have transparency (olimar) in which case it will use C18.
You can convert things in brawlbox to CMPR by Right clicking and going to Re-encode.

I recommend building your custom build from the ground up again if you're really having problems. Using SJS stuff as a base of course if you want most of it.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Everything should be put into CMPR to save filespace, unless it have transparency (olimar) in which case it will use C18.
You can convert things in brawlbox to CMPR by Right clicking and going to Re-encode.

I recommend building your custom build from the ground up again if you're really having problems. Using SJS stuff as a base of course if you want most of it.
Yeah I'm going to have to start all over, but I saved the version I had before I used the CSPs and I know that version was working, so maybe I can start from there. I don't want to have to edit the stages, music, and stage select screen code all over again =(

Thanks for the help! I'll give CMPR a try.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
@ SJS SJS just figured I'd point out that Pikachu's party-hat is now purple in 3.5 (your CSPs/BPs still show the old blue party hat). Thanks for all the hard work; I already thought your CSPs were pretty great, but using your CSPs for the first time yesterday...jeez, they look significantly better in-game than in BrawlBox and other previews. Props

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm going to have to start all over, but I saved the version I had before I used the CSPs and I know that version was working, so maybe I can start from there. I don't want to have to edit the stages, music, and stage select screen code all over again =(

Thanks for the help! I'll give CMPR a try.
If it crashes at stage select, then you probably have an issue with a Stage Icons, not the CSPs. Make sure they're the correct size and format.

4tlas

Smash Lord
If it crashes at stage select, then you probably have an issue with a Stage Icons, not the CSPs. Make sure they're the correct size and format.
...I already deleted the broken build... =(

Are those also placed in Common5? Because that file was definitely way too big.

Oh also the bundles for each character's CSP in Common5 were in fact bigger in my broken version. Not sure if it was enough to matter...but I think any amount is right?

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I've actually been having issues with SSS freezing as well, since I've replaced all the images to indicate which were banned/etc. What are CMPRS and C18, and how would I go about compressing stuff in BrawlBox?

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
...I already deleted the broken build... =(

Are those also placed in Common5? Because that file was definitely way too big.

Oh also the bundles for each character's CSP in Common5 were in fact bigger in my broken version. Not sure if it was enough to matter...but I think any amount is right?
Actually, there is a file size limit for the sel_character_en.pac file, which is, in fact, located on the common5.pac file. In order for the CSS not to crash (and for the game in general to play normally) you will want to avoid going over the 3.79 MB limit. I also had that problem way back, and it was all because of the file being too big.

If you are using Brawl Costume Manager, try replacing your CSPs and all that stuff via Brawl Box instead. I've noticed that Brawl Costume Manager isn't too reliable, and the only times my game crashed was after adding my mods by using it. Sure, Brawl Box takes way more time, but it's worth it.

Also, keep in mind that you should always compress your images into CMPR format. That decreases filesize even more, and lets you have more space. You can also put CSPs into Photoshop and index color the image (or however you say that) which reduces image quality (almost unoticeable) and also reduces size, if I'm not mistaken.

For BPs and CSS Icons, you can also use Brawl Box. BPs are in a separate folder located in projectm>pf>info>portrite and I always replace compress them into CI8 format, and have never had problems with them. Also, for Result Portraits, located in projectm>pf>menu>common you should also consider using CMPR format. (Please read below for more information)
I've actually been having issues with SSS freezing as well, since I've replaced all the images to indicate which were banned/etc. What are CMPRS and C18, and how would I go about compressing stuff in BrawlBox?
I would recommend using Brawl Box v0.71 or newer (since I use Brawl Box v0.73b) as they are bound to come with an option called "Re-Encode" and that actually allows you to change the format on the images found on common5.pac and the rest (like BPs, Results Portraits, Stage Previews, etc) It's as simple as that actually.

For stages, I also like to use Stage Manager just to replace .pac files containing the actual stage. For previews and icons, I always go into Brawl Box and replace all that stuff manually.

As stated above, you should always go with CMPR, as it compresses the file and reduces its size drastically, while at the same time sacrificing some quality (you won't notice it... well maybe a little but it's nothing too tragic)
On the other side, CI8 (and also CI4 if I'm not mistaken) actually have better image quality, but file sizes are 3 times bigger than those compressed with CMPR. That "better quality" is not worth it, so you should always go with CMPR. Keep in mind that SSS Icons are like CSS CSPs, and maybe there's also a file size limit to them, but unfortunately I don't know it. Trying to keep files small is your best shot at making things work.

I've also had problems wth my SSS freezing but it should be fixed as soon as you replace your stuff manually and do it following what I have explained here. I haven't had any other issues with my current build so I can confirm it works.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
I've been using BrawlBox. How do I check the size of a file within a .pac?

4tlas

Smash Lord
Ok so I got everything working, thanks guys. But now Zelda's glowy magic hand is gone in the CSS. Any idea what could have caused this? I did some other edits to remove part of the Ready to Fight bar, but I doubt that's the problem.

Also does anyone by chance know how to set music to cycle instead of randomly choose? Is this even possible?

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I got everything working, thanks guys. But now Zelda's glowy magic hand is gone in the CSS. Any idea what could have caused this? I did some other edits to remove part of the Ready to Fight bar, but I doubt that's the problem.

Also does anyone by chance know how to set music to cycle instead of randomly choose? Is this even possible?
The glowing hand thing was taken out, but go to his collection of CSPs on Brawl Vault!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/918re6km6wal95t/EIQIyAhLaM#/

They is one here that has the glowing hand effect for the OoT texture!

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
I'd already asked this, but since it got kinda buried, How would you get this to work with the addons menu in the launcher?

Hctaz

Smash Rookie
So my crew has a custom menu with our logo and a custom stage list for our tournaments. Is there a way I can keep these the same while still having the edited everything else? :D

Payton

Smash Cadet
So my crew has a custom menu with our logo and a custom stage list for our tournaments. Is there a way I can keep these the same while still having the edited everything else? :D
Yes, if you export the arc file with all the CSPs in it you can replace it in your common5.

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
Yes, if you export the arc file with all the CSPs in it you can replace it in your common5.
Would you happen to know which arc file(s) specifically those would be? I found the one in se_selcharacter_en, that's char_bust_tex_lz77 I assume, as it has all the new character select screen portraits in there. Where would the icons and in-game portraits be?

I'm in the exact same situation as him.

Last edited:

Payton

Smash Cadet
Would you happen to know which arc file(s) specifically those would be? I found the one in se_selcharacter_en, that's char_bust_tex_lz77 I assume, as it has all the new character select screen portraits in there. Where would the icons and in-game portraits be?

I'm in the exact same situation as him.
The portraits where you select your character are in misc data 70, and to replace the BPs just replace your portrite folder.

Last edited:

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I tried doing that. The portratis both in-game and out work, but I can't get the character screen to replace. The only thing I exported from the common5 was the portraits, and I replaced everything else, so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.

Payton

Smash Cadet
Okay, I tried doing that. The portratis both in-game and out work, but I can't get the character screen to replace. The only thing I exported from the common5 was the portraits, and I replaced everything else, so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.
If you pm me oyur common 5 I will do it for you.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
When 3.0 first dropped a couple years back, they had a color bar that showed what/how many colors a character had, but it decreased the quality of the portraits. The color bar got scrapped all together, though.

Top Bottom