• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singles Matches of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U from E3

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Most of the footage we have seen from E3 has been the same typical four player free-for-all action. This is a great and fun way to play, but can make analysis difficult for viewers, and harder for players to practice the game and tone up their spacing. That all changed late this past week when the Clash Tournaments had the chance to test the one-on-one feeling of Super Smash Brothers Wii U.

On Thursday, four competitive players got the chance to play the game at E3 in a one-on-one format. The videos have made their way online to the CLASH Tournaments YouTube Channel, where CT Chibo, Keitaro, Sky (of League of Legends fame), and others duked it out against each other with a variety of characters. Take a moment to watch some of the videos and then give us your feedback! What do you think of the game now? Are you excited about anything you have seen in any of these games? What are your thoughts on the competitive viability of this title? Leave a comment below!

You can click here for the entire playlist of videos.

You can find out more about CLASH Tournaments from their website, and follow them on Twitter @CLASHTournament.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Damn, I was about to submit this lol. I'm looking forward to playing this game!

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Finally, some 1v1's. Its a lot easier to analyze and see what is going on in those. Thanks for posting this.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Marth's knockback is completely all over the place. Poor guy...

Even though it needs some more tweaks, it is looking great.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
....Marth looks so bad... Like I don't main him but he's always been a character I would play now and again. I can't imagine how the Melee and Brawl mains feel about what they done to him.

edit: Still these are some of the best videos we gotten from E3, they are fairly fun to watch.

Last edited:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
are you the same mugenlord that used to upload mugen videos 6 or 7 years ago?
Yep, thats me, and I still upload Mugen videos lol. I just expanded to other gaming related content besides mugen. Stop by my channel when you have the time. I just started uploading project m gameplay.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Sonic seems to have a lot of ending lag when he finishes some moves. I hope this is fixed, or L-cancelling is added in. I mean, Sonic is suppose to be a fast character...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Some of the knockback seemed a bit excessive at lower percentages in the first match. Sonic looked like he had a lot of ending lag after aerials. Just shortening the lag would do, no need to put in L-cancelling.
Both are things that can be easily changed before release, or even after in patches.

Last edited:

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
Now THAT'S King of the Koopas! I can't wait to play as Bowser! :D

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
The speed of the game looks fine. It's just that its still just a bit floaty. That isn't the main issue though. The main problems are that the knock back needs to be sorted out, hit stun for lower percentages should be increased a just little more, ending lag for moves should be decreased and dash dancing should be made easier. This is still a demo so they can still hopefully fix these problems. Besides that everything else looks great. Game runs smooth and looks beautiful!

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
I'm curious if Shield Breaker is going to be a better option in Smash 4 with the shield damage buff, but I haven't seen anyone try it out. It could be that breaking shields will become a legitimate part of Marth's strategy, but I haven't seen exactly how much shield damage an uncharged or lightly charged Shield Breaker does. I'd also like to know if it still gives Marth a momentum boost for recovery.

Last edited:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Just watched all of them. The difference in overall speed of the game is hugely noticeable in the 2 days of practice that you guys had over the invitational matches. All it took was a bit of knowing how to use the characters. The landing lag complaints that I've read about are also evident in those videos, so I'm on board with hoping that they fix that before release. But I hope that these videos prove to people that the game is not normally as slow as Brawl.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious if Shield Breaker is going to be a better option in Smash 4 with the shield damage buff, but I haven't seen anyone try it out. It could be that breaking shields will become a legitimate part of Marth's strategy, but I haven't seen exactly how much shield damage an uncharged or lightly charged Shield Breaker does. I'd also like to know if it still gives Marth a momentum boost for recovery.
Shield breaker can assist recovery. I saw Ken use it a few times :)

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Amazing! Now I can check out the videos without having all this stuff happening at once. Thanks for making this!

EDIT: Wow, I am impressed. If what they said was true about Bowser being the worst in 1v1 and Samus being the best, than they did an amazing job at balancing. That fight looked like a completely even match.

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I'm not a big fan of free for all, so these two vids are very welcome. Indeed much better to analyse everything going on here.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Amazing! Now I can check out the videos without having all this stuff happening at once. Thanks for making this!

EDIT: Wow, I am impressed. If what they said was true about Bowser being the worst in 1v1 and Samus being the best, than they did an amazing job at balancing. That fight looked like a completely even match.
I really liked the way Bowser looked. Doom made him seem like a decent character.
Also it's good to hear that there are at least more combos in Smash 4 than there were in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

God, I hope not. Could have sworn I heard something to that effect though.
If he doesn't say it, bringing back Sonic was useless. The best part about him was tauntspamming your opponent, then using his speed to run away when they try and hit you.
"C'MON STEP IT UP"
"YOU'RE TOO SLOW!"

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If he doesn't say it, bringing back Sonic was useless. The best part about him was tauntspamming your opponent, then using his speed to run away when they try and hit you.
"C'MON STEP IT UP"
"YOU'RE TOO SLOW!"
It's fine, just the fact he's voiced by Roger Craig Smith is enough to be that annoying.

(Disclaimer: I have nothing against that man.)

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Honestly liking how the game is shaping up already, considering we've got a ways to go before release. These matches certainly paint a brighter picture than what we've seen until now.

Unbias

Banned via Warnings
NNID
GodOfAllThings
Sonic's running speed is better this time around, can't say the same for his his actual attacks.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
EVERYBODY SUPER SONIC RACING...

But does he still say "You're too slow?"
He doesn't say that anymore, at least not in these demos :sadeyes:
"You're too slow" seems to have been replaced with "Sonic Speed!"
"C'mon step it up!" looks to be replaced with "Come on!"

EDIT: Btw I didn't personally see this. Just saw it mentioned on some other threads.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He doesn't say that anymore, at least not in these demos :sadeyes:
"You're too slow" seems to have been replaced with "Sonic Speed!"
"C'mon step it up!" looks to be replaced with "Come on!"

EDIT: Btw I didn't personally see this. Just saw it mentioned on some other threads.
Aw man...
Well, if SAWNIC SPEED is annoying enough, then I guess it'll be fine.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
If our feedback (which Nintendo may try to relay to the dev team) is ignored, than tournaments will see a mix between Melee's aggressive play and Brawl's defensive play.

Back before Brawl was released, the competitive scene was nowhere near as big enough to hear our cries. Now it's so huge we have Nintendo being impressed by us and listening to our feedback. In other words, unlike the pre-Brawl era we now have Nintendo on our side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom