• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Single Custom Set

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
For awhile now I have been creating an argument to allow Palutena to be able to use 1 unified custom set, and with the help of some of you guys it's almost complete. This ( Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (May Palutena take in our precious CEO - R.I.P Satoru Iwata) ) is a nice little summary of it, minus a few minor details. However, I still seem to be missing 1 very important piece of this argument: What set should we argue for? I don't dare start talking about this anywhere but the Palutena boards before I know what customs I will be arguing for. We must have all pieces of the puzzle before we can put it together, and maybe will find a few extra pieces along the way. It would be unfair for me to argue for a set without first getting the opinions of at least some, hopefully most, of the Palutena mains here.

Quick reminder
Neutral B
1) Autoreticle
2) Explosive Flame
3) Heavenly Light

Side B
1) Reflect Barrier
2) Angelic Missile
3) Super Speed

Up B
1) Warp
2) Jump Glide
3) Rocket Jump

Down B
1) Counter
2) Lightweight
3) Celestial Firework

Now tell me what set we should argue for and why it should be that one. I would have made a poll, but that's 81 different options, and even if I were to assume lightweight to be the definite down b choice there are still 27 other options.

I for one support 2322: Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Jump Glide, and Lightweight. EF can kill and has good ledge coverage, SS offers mobility and kill set ups, JG offers mobility and a very good recovery if you have a jump, and Lightweight (I honestly don't think this one needs to be explained) offers mobility, more combos and follow ups, and better recovery. I asked Aerolink (arguably the best Palutena main) his thoughts on this set as being her best set and he agreed. Now who am I to argue with results like this. Those results seem one sided and yeah they kind of are, but I dedicate it more to lack of match up experience and Aerolink being a good player and not custom jank. So I don't see it as Palutena being "broken" in anyway just a much more viable character. This set is the set to make her the most viable for tournaments and that's all we really want.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Lightweight
There's no question. Custom Palutena should have Lightweight.

Super Speed
This one's also a little bit of a no-brainer. It gives her lots of good movement options AND a good recovery option. If you're playing against a projectile-heavy opponent and you feel you need Reflect, switching to Default Palutena is probably a viable option.

Jump Glide
A lot of people love Warp, myself included. But Jump Glide gives her more mobility, and doesn't have a cooldown like LW and SS so she can use it in between those moves to keep herself mobile. It lets her attack out of it as well, which is a great option. Plus, if we can only have one standard custom set for Palutena, I would rather it utilize good moves that she can't access in Default. Jump Glide instead of Warp will exaggerate the differences between these 2 characters.

Explosive Flame / Auto Reticle
...Having said that, I could go either way for this one. Explosive Flame would definitely make her feel even more different from Default Palutena, and she has some sweet set-ups with it. I often rely on Auto Reticle any time I get knocked far enough away / I'm recovering, though, to tack on extra damage. Though you could say that AR lends itself more to the slow-paced play of Default Palu. ...I'm undecided.

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
If you're playing against a projectile-heavy opponent and you feel you need Reflect, switching to Default Palutena is probably a viable option.
The problem is, it's one set, meaning no switching to default. That's the trade for this. Good bye the tools of default and hello the tools of this new set we decide to come up with. That is, if this works.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
The problem is, it's one set, meaning no switching to default. That's the trade for this. Good bye the tools of default and hello the tools of this new set we decide to come up with. That is, if this works.
There'd be one single Custom Palutena set, but you could always just turn customs off, no? I don't think a TO would allow custom Palutena but ban Default, that doesn't really make much sense :s

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
There'd be one single Custom Palutena set, but you could always just turn customs off, no? I don't think a TO would allow custom Palutena but ban Default, that doesn't really make much sense :s
If that happens Palutena has the option to switch her special moves. That can not be. 1 set and that is all everyone will have to learn. Just the option alone to switch special moves is an unfair advantage. The argument has to be as fair as possible and that option does not help. This is not to create a single custom Palutena and the default Palutena, this is to make a new "default" Palutena for tournaments.

Sure you could probably convince a TO to allow it, but you're not going to convince the entire community to allow that. I want to convince the people more than the TOs. A TO of a national event wants people to attend the event and why would someone attend an event they don't like the rules of. Convince the people and the TOs will listen more.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
The way I see it Custom Palutena and Default Palutena would be pretty much 2 very different characters, I don't really see it being an issue? We wouldn't be asking for the option to switch her specials around how we like, we'd just be asking for a separate character

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it Custom Palutena and Default Palutena would be pretty much 2 very different characters, I don't really see it being an issue? We wouldn't be asking for the option to switch her specials around how we like, we'd just be asking for a separate character
That's how you see it, but it's not how everyone else will see it. Think of it as a patch buff to Palutena; her specials are better and we cannot go back to how they were before. There's also the fact you literally select Palutena on the CSS for this and people will see it as the same character.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Let's not count celestial firework out while we're at it. It's a great middle ground just in case the community sees lightweight as "jank". It's much better than counter and gives her more defensive options as well as another vertical kill move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom