• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple facts that you may not know...

Madao

congratulations in receiving my first ever 'liked' post on smashboards
Lol thanks :).

So I was testing stuff in hitbox mode and found out there are multiple options.

The purple one is weird.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
That purple one seems really interesting, maybe it shows max range in certain direction? Stronger part of the hitbox? I don't know, I feel like it should make sense in some way. It's pretty too :3
Is there a gameshark code for it?

I wanna battle in hitbox mode, but I'm not sure I can get Glide to work online. It usually switches to Jabo. I like Glide better because I can see better with the opaque display.

Madao said:
let me know if the hitbox code reduces your cpu usage in a 4 player match
It didn't for me. I tested with both Glide and Jabo video plugins

I have a couple of questions.

1. While in hitbox mode projectiles are displayed normally. Is it just me?

2. Hurtbox colors. So I have 4 spaces to put in numbers and letters to change the hurtbox color. Isn't there a list of colors relating to 4 digits, like this one for 6 digits?

Madao

That purple one seems really interesting, maybe it shows max range in certain direction? Stronger part of the hitbox? I don't know, I feel like it should make sense in some way. It's pretty too :3
Is there a gameshark code for it?
I wanna battle in hitbox mode, but I'm not sure I can get Glide to work online. It usually switches to Jabo. I like Glide better because I can see better with the opaque display.

It didn't for me. I tested with both Glide and Jabo video plugins

I have a couple of questions.

1. While in hitbox mode projectiles are displayed normally. Is it just me?

2. Hurtbox colors. So I have 4 spaces to put in numbers and letters to change the hurtbox color. Isn't there a list of colors relating to 4 digits, like this one for 6 digits?
The gameshark code would be difficult to make because the hitbox variable is like the other character variables, so the addresses depend on the stage and mode. What I can do is try and trace the hitbox data some more and make a code to make every player automatically do option 3 which is the purple thing.

I'm guessing the reason I use less cpu is because my laptop uses an integrated graphics card. It should still use less resources though, so your GPU is probably doing less work.

ROFL again good catch on the projectile thing! When you work with multiple tools, it gets really confusing. I think I noticed it, but since I do a lot of hacks and mess with different things, I must have been confused and ignored it since most of the time, I had the individual player's hitbox option on as well. I did find the hitbox variable and how it works (FINALLY lol), which is how I made the code, but I decided to make a universal code so that every player in every match will show hitboxes. Looks like I have more work to do. If you want the character specific hitbox code, I will update my table either today or tomorrow. I'm adding stuff like Hitlag multiplier and DI movement multiplier.

For hurtbox colors, I don't know too much about it. It's actually 8 digits (4 bytes) since the 2 codes are combined to make 1 color. I will look into that today though, since colors are interesting :) . Maybe 1 Byte is brightness lol or something. Also savestates are the way to go, for people who aren't using nemu to test color hacks.

Someone should really make a gameshark code list thread. Seems like a lot of people here are interested in gameshark codes.

Edit: what emulator you use for online? I'm wondering if I should bother testing anything on PJ64k. Also that color hex link worked! I made a nice looking turquoise blue using 1FE4E8FF. Now the only thing idk about the color is what the 4th byte does.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
good idea about the thread. ive personally only made 3 codes; but having a whole list + how to use/find mite b cool

Madao

Looks like projectiles are separate.
Code:
Projectile Hitbox
81167578 0000
8116757A 0000

Purple Hurtbox
810F2FD0 0000
810F2FD2 0000

Red Projectile (requires Projectile hitbox code to be on)
81166F34 0000
81166F36 0000
Lol I couldn't find the color address for the purple hurtbox thing, but eh I think I've done enough for hitbox display :).

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Edit: what emulator you use for online? I'm wondering if I should bother testing anything on PJ64k. Also that color hex link worked! I made a nice looking turquoise blue using 1FE4E8FF. Now the only thing idk about the color is what the 4th byte does.
I and everyone I play with use PJ64k.

Nice. I would never guess those colors would work.

[collapse=Pokémon Origins <3]
[/collapse]

Lol, that purple one is weird. Your pic made me think that was a hitbox, not a hurtbox. It's static... I'm not sure why it even exists. I still like it though.

Madao

Lol nice picture, I like your code list lol. I think the purple hurtbox thing is cool, it gives you a pretty good idea of how far you can hit someone for some forward attacks.

I guess I will check out PJ64k. I hope addresses are static on it. How smooth does the emulator run, compared to PJ64 1.6?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I can't even remember playing 1.6, I use Project64kVE for almost everything. Sometimes I use 1.7, and I don't notice any difference.

By the way, does anyone know how to make that Cheats window larger?

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
The diamond seems to be an indicator of your exact position. two characters can't occupy the same exact position, the point at the bottom of the diamond is the precise center(so when that point leaves a platform you fall)and when the wide part of the diamond overlaps with another character's wide part of their diamond, they slide apart(probably at a set speed). This would make sense as to why you can walk slowly and slide/push someone, but still run through them.

This is my thought/theory anyway.

Oh and I agree with Mixa that the little floaty box is sort of a range indicator of sorts

mixa

Banned via Warnings

Stuff about ledges and intangibility (blue frames)

When you grab the ledge (ledgehog), you'll be intangible/blue for some time.

The total number of blue frames for a ledgehog = x + 60

x can be either 3 or 7. For Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi, x = 7. For all the rest, x = 3.

The ledgehog lag is x + 1. So a character must stay at least 4 frames hanging onto the ledge before his next action starts. For instance, a Pikachu that up-Bs to the ledge and immediately ledgehops must stay at least 4 frames.

For comparison's sake, the amount of green frames every character gets from the respawn platform is 120.

After the ledgehog

From the ledge there are four options:​

(1) Ledgehop, or simply letting go of the edge
(2) Edge get up
(3) Edge roll
(4) Edge attack​

For option (1), the blue frames wear off immediately, so I'll ignore it. Also meaning this does not work. I can't help but to think whoever TASed that was being dishonest rather than ignorant.​

For all the remaining options, consider that there's a time between your input at the ledge and your next move when on stage. Illustrating:
  1. DK rolls into the stage
  2. The lag of the roll is over and DK is free to input a new move
For all characters except one, there's an option among those remaining 3 in which this transition -- from the ledge to being on stage without lag -- is entirely safe. As in, if you buffer shield as you get up from the ledge, the shield will come out before you're vulnerable again. (example of Jousuke using it)

The Edge attack (4) is never that safe option. It's either the Edge get up (2) or the Edge roll (3).

Characters in which the Edge get up (both under and over 100%) is the safe option: Luigi, Mario, DK, Samus, Falcon, Ness, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu.

Kirby and Puff will only be intangible all throughout if they go with the Edge get up over 100% or the Edge roll under 100%.

To illustrate: compare Yoshi's Edge get up to Kirby's. Yoshi is blue the whole time whereas Kirby goes back to yellow (vulnerable) near the end.

And Link sucks.

But seriously, Link's pretty interesting. His only option that resembles a complete safe one is his Edge attack over 100%: http://gfycat.com/RigidInfatuatedAnemone - you can frame advance this gif as well as the 2 previous ones.

P.S.: Falcon Punch comes out in ~40 frames. Kirby and Puff's slow edge roll (over 100%) take 100 frames to complete, with the last 20 being vulnerable.​

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
Short hopping while standing with DK is the exact same height as the side platforms on DL
This somehow makes all aerials get autocancelled

Also with DK you can run off a ledge, do a fair, and just barely make it back with a b-reversal+upb Seems really useful against characters that recover from below like falcon, kirby, mario+luigi

The Star King

Smash Hero
Does anybody remember that one time aa claimed DK can't survive run-off fair, and like everybody shot him down? Hilarious.

Annex

Smash Ace
i don't think they autocancel on the platforms supersteve?
no auto cancels, ANNEX

just makes Zcancel'd moves simpler to follow up with some other movement or attack
Well now I look stupid
After messing aroudn with it it only seems to work with uairs that you do immediately as you jump, which is the only thing I was using it for.
With every other aerial and timing it doesn't work

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Green pipes of Mushroom Kingdom are not like portals. If you enter a pipe in hitbox mode, you can see the character travelling through the air towards the next pipe.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Since in hitbox mode the barrel is the same, what I could do is move the character around the screen to see when he'll enter the barrel, and from that sketch a barrel-entrance hitbox. Which is actually something I've thought about doing for a while, haha, but I've been putting it off since I don't know how complicated that would be.

I've talked about that aspect of the barrel in my stage thread. It's not really mysterious after a close look. The rule of thumb should be: the barrel is higher than it seems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y3xf-wRpqQ&feature=youtu.be

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
hmm but in the video i linked fox goes directly through the middle, he didn't clip the bottom or anything. maybe there's some weird property it has that we haven't discovered

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I don't see what going through from one side to another has to do with it. Width is not the problem, height is. Fox didn't enter because he wasn't high enough, just like Samus.

The following isn't news, but to better illustrate, I've found the top and bottom limits of Fox's horizontal up-B that won't reach the barrel, that is, this is how close you can get to the barrel and still not enter it.

Top limit - Fox would enter the barrel if he were anywhere below

Bottom limit - Fox would enter the barrel if he were anywhere above

And in hitbox mode:

And the barrel spin doesn't seem to affect this.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so it's only the top set of squares, really, that allow you to enter the barrel? that's awful

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Also with DK you can run off a ledge, do a fair, and just barely make it back with a b-reversal+upb Seems really useful against characters that recover from below like falcon, kirby, mario+luigi
its better for things like linking a nair near the edge of the map to fair for a kill

for the characters you mentioned, its usually safer to dair spike them

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well now I look stupid
After messing aroudn with it it only seems to work with uairs that you do immediately as you jump, which is the only thing I was using it for.
With every other aerial and timing it doesn't work
Maybe the desciption you're looking for is DK short hop on DL platform eliminates landing lag

If you land really "neatly" onto the ground like that, so your falling speed is low enough, you skip the usual 4 frame landing animation (8 frames if you fastfall) (maybe a frame of lag this way? idk)

standard tool for DK though, that platform shorthop

so it's only the top set of squares, really, that allow you to enter the barrel? that's awful
it sort of makes sense

that's where the hole is

I mean, personally I thought the Han Solo clip looked natural the first time I saw it, idk

I guess it stops making sense when the barrel spins around, though

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
It just requires you to freeze 2 values if you use cheat engine, or 2 gameshark codes. These type of codes only work if you turn it on before loading the stage or save state.

Here's the gameshark code
810F2786 ????
810F279E ????

These are the default colors, D0D000FF = Yellow, 00D000FF = Green, 0000D0FF = Blue, 00000000 = Black
You can use any numbers you want, but it takes a while to find the colors you want. It's just a hassle to test colors since you have to leave the match and come back or reload savestate to see the changes. Someone should make a gameshark thread. I guess nemu would be ideal for testing since debugging will update the game code.

I might as well throw in the player icon always shows code.
810E7284 0000
810E7286 0000
8013E237 0001

Also guys, let me know if the hitbox code reduces your cpu usage in a 4 player match. I'm wondering if it's just my computer / video plugin or if it actually does work universally. Should I use a custom colors for frame display recording or just stick with default lol?
this is real cool

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure he meant all his second jumps as you normally would after getting grabbed.
This. I don't have a video, it happened in friendlies. So I guess technically, Kirby doesn't get ALL of his jumps back...but he still gets like 5/6 or however many jumps he has, and can still recover to the edge.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
so prince got that thing where it shows the inputs, and among his weird habits i noticed he holds R when coming off the respawn plat

not sure what his goal is, buuuut, it works exactly as inputting something, meaning you can now 100%-guaranteed edge cancel with fox to either side --- edit: and with DK (and all those other respawn plat edge cancels)

it does not work with falcon (like this http://gfycat.com/ImpressiveShabbyAustraliankelpie) because this requires you to be a little late

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
throws despite dealing less % when stale, deal the same knockback as if they were fresh.

now isn't that ODD

i found this when testing if a pikachu should back throw or f-throw on dreamland when the intent is to kill off the throw
OR
when the % is high enough that an f-throw or b-throw don't really matter because you'll have plenty of time to position yourself for an edgeguard in case you b-throw

and the answer is for that scenario is: you pretty much should always b-throw. unless you're like, here or even closer to the edge, then you f-throw.

for mario is the b-throw cutoff is around here. (i found this one pretty quickly bcuz i cheated and took notice of isai's choices)

***** even though the throws don't get stale, in situations where you're doing throw after throw (fox gimps, samus grapple troll, etc) i still think it's significant to TACKLE some damage (with lasers, with get up utilt → grab) etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom