• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side Smash or Down Smash?

Kooby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0031-6506
Since Mewtwo became purchasable, i've been playing him a lot, even enough to consider my main now, and i've noticed that both his Side Smash and Down Smash do the same amount of damage wheter charged or not. My question is, which one is better? or do they have any difference beside animation and hitboxes?

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Since Mewtwo became purchasable, i've been playing him a lot, even enough to consider my main now, and i've noticed that both his Side Smash and Down Smash do the same amount of damage wheter charged or not. My question is, which one is better? or do they have any difference beside animation and hitboxes?
down smash is safer and cancels earlier, but forward smash has more range

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I'm calling it Side smash as there is no Back Smash, and regardless to what side you aim it, the same attack comes out witht he same strenght
It comes out the side he's facing, though: the front side.

Up Smash is a good anti-air option, seeing as it out-prioritizes Falcon/Ganon's Kicks. It also has some hitboxes to drag ground foes into it.

Down Smash is much better than Forward Smash. Less lag, more reliable hit box, etc.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Forward Smash send the opponent more horizontally and Down Smash send more diagonally.
so if you are closer to the edge/side blastzones, Side Smash is generally better. otherwise Down Smash has more reliable hitboxes and it looks cooler

Last edited:

srn347

Smash Apprentice
The side smash can do more if it hits where the sourspot (4% uncharged) and the sweetspot (15% uncharged, same as down smash) overlap. My bad, no part of it does 4%. The sourspot does 15% and the sweetspot does 19%.

Last edited:

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
I usually have more luck with landing the Sidesmash(Fsmash if you will) than I do with the Dsmash. I'm just not great at hitting it altogether though.

Usually though I find Mewtwo's most reliable ways to KO is with Shadowball at pointblank range, Upthrow, Fair, and Usmash.

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
Yeah I usually go for surprise Shadow Balls, fair, and Usmash.
This is off-topic but love the profile picture. Really looking forward to playing Splatoon. (Which by the way, the demo is gonna be available today at 8-9pm PT, incase some didn't know.)

The thing I appreciate about Mewtwo is that he teaches me a defensive game, which i have to learn to play when as Lucario in high percents. The shadowball animation is really quick and sometimes, I throw my enemy off-stage. Jump off stage to act like i'm going to do something but end up just jumping right back on it, which usually they follow me and I get a pointblank SB. And with such good KO power, easy...90%? On medium weight.

Fair is very quick so I do tend to use it a lot when challenging my opponent's aerials, because usually even if I get hit, they'll get hit too and even managed to be KO'd.

And Usmash is godly compared to his other two. Anyone around 100% is well within a kill-range. Which I did find out, if you get the front of the Utilt, it sets them perfectly above you to easily land Usmash.
Though i'm sure you probably knew that. XP

Still no where decent with him but best to know him than to not know anything at all.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
The side smash can do more if it hits where the sourspot (4% uncharged) and the sweetspot (15% uncharged, same as down smash) overlap.
Proof? Would love to learn this overlap.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad you've asked me to replicate it, as I now know I was mistaken. It's 15% and 19% with no overlap.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I usually end up using his f-smash more than his d-smash, but nothing beats his u-smash as his best kill move.

Kooby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0031-6506
I usually end up using his f-smash more than his d-smash, but nothing beats his u-smash as his best kill move.
Too bad the Up Smash seems to not hit next to Mewtwo most of the time

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Too bad the Up Smash seems to not hit next to Mewtwo most of the time
When thrown out in neutral, yeah. When used to counter air attacks, it's godly.

3MP1R3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0259-0579-0472
Forward Smash send the opponent more horizontally and Down Smash send more diagonally.
Down Smash has more reliable hitboxes and it looks cooler
Hell yeah
Especially when punishing after a Disable

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
I usually use down smash for that extra stylish look. It feels so awesome to make the opponent's feet explode.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
forgot to add:
Down Smash is better to use when the opponent is light and dies easier at the top blastzone!
Side Smash is better to those who dies easier horizontally and those who have troublem with recover

Top Bottom