• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B Spammer

Sjeele

Smash Apprentice
Hi Zelda fans,

I don't play zelda a lot, I am more a all rounder, I pick a character that I want and I play.

But my friend is a die-hard Zelda player. (He switched from sheik to zelda) And most of the time for long distance (bridge of eldin) he always does side B 'dins fire'..

The range and hit distance (don't know how to call it) is extremely large. And he hits most of the time. I trie always to dodge, airdodge, attack, dash etc...
But he still hits..

I ask you, whats the best way to avoid dins fire??

And sorry for my bad Engelish, I'm dutch..

S2

Smash Lord
I'm guessing you just got the game with the PAL release correct?

The thing about Din's is that it's not actually all that tricky to avoid, but everyone seems to struggle getting the timing down at first.

If your in the air, airdodge. On the ground you can spot dodge or roll (but don't be predictable or Zelda will start to shoot Din's where she thinks you'll be)... or best of all just block it.

Keep in mind these things

1.) Zelda has to channel Din's, meaning she can't do anything else until the move is over.
2.) If Zelda does it in the air, she's committed to whatever trajectory she's goign until she ends the move.

Most Zelda players aren't going to risk using Din's when you're too close, because it leaves her open (although to be fair, as you get better and learn your jumping trajectories, there are some surprisingly safe ways Zelda can Din from closer range).

I'm guessing your friend is playing by throwing Din's, having you get close, and then using a smash attack.

Try this.

Figure out (this might take some practice/time, so don't fret) how close you can get to Zelda while
1.) Being outside of his physical attack range (he'd have to come to you)
2.) Still being close enough that if he used Din's you could run forward and punish him.

This works on any projectile spammer. Since they get worried about spamming you at that distance, but can't counter attack you yet. This is where most new players using spamming strats will make mistakes.

PS...

you can also
1.) Hit Din's with certain attacks like ROBs F-air. The moves will clash and cancel each other.
2.) reflect it
3.) hit Zelda with a faster projectile while she's channeling (but be careful, most Zelda's will trade hits if possible since Din's is probably the strongest projectile that doesn't need to be charged before initiating).

Hope that helps.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Air-dodge is DEFINITLY the easiest if you don't have a reflector. Blocking works too.

Jump AT Zelda when she does it. Give yourself some distance, and then jump at her. This will give YOU the control, since she's gonna blow it up once it's next to you, or else what's the point? Basically, you'll be the one deciding when and where explodes.

So basically, wait for it, jump towards her, and right as it comes within hitting range, dodge/airdodge. You only have a little while to begin dodging before it hits.

I would suggest jumping out of the way, up high (double jump) and then fast fall as it comes close, so it can't get you even if she moves it downwards, but honestly, it's not worth the risk. When someone gets really good at dodging Din, it becomes pretty much pointless doing the move. Just practice.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Well at least your english is understandable. just a few mistakes but its alright. IMO

Airdodging works, You can use a faster projectile that can stun(Falco's Gun, Pits Arrows for example). Since I'm a falco main, I use the gun. ;) I think the Side B of Fox can work.

Sjeele

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing you just got the game with the PAL release correct?
No, I have the US version.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to trying to dodge so he gets tired of doing that move.

I think the best way to dodge is sidestep, because of the range of dins fire. Also he spawns allot of Up B's. Sometimes I know where he comes out exactly so I know where he is going, but is there a trick (maybe zelda is 'dancing' diffrent) to know where he is going??

FirebyrdXX

Smash Cadet
Being the opponent, it is impossible to know which direction Zelda will go after teleporting. Her nametag even disappears during the move. Who do you play as btw?

Din's isn't hard to dodge. My friends block.dodge it all the time because they're used to it by now. It's best to jump forward and airdodge while it goes on. Don't just stand still because a Zelda will have no excuse not to throw Din's all day. You're bound to mess up and get hit eventually afterall.

leogeo2

Smash Cadet
Most people who I usually play friendlies with eventually just stopped getting hit to Din's Fire while far away. I've managed to use it in fakes or extremely close range though to really get a surprise on them.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Being the opponent, it is impossible to know which direction Zelda will go after teleporting. Her nametag even disappears during the move. Who do you play as btw?
You can easily educated guess where she's gonna be on exit, and honestly the operative point is to just block at the right time. Either she appears next to you, you guessed right, and zelda gets punished hard for using FW, or you guess wrong but it doesnt matter because you're still really stupid far from eachother.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
To block FW most people just shield. This will scare the Zelda you are facing because you could easily shield-grab from this position. Personally, I will always test it first, but if I find my opponent uses the shield-grab technique, which most people do, then I choose to only FW at an opponent when they are in the lag frames of a move or charging a smash attack.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
To block FW most people just shield. This will scare the Zelda you are facing because you could easily shield-grab from this position. Personally, I will always test it first, but if I find my opponent uses the shield-grab technique, which most people do, then I choose to only FW at an opponent when they are in the lag frames of a move or charging a smash attack.
Actually, spot-dodging Farore's Wind is the easiest thing ever, though a good Zelda player will know how and when to use Farore's Wind's offensive power properly and will be unpredictable.

FirebyrdXX

Smash Cadet
You can easily educated guess where she's gonna be on exit, and honestly the operative point is to just block at the right time. Either she appears next to you, you guessed right, and zelda gets punished hard for using FW, or you guess wrong but it doesnt matter because you're still really stupid far from eachother.
I wasn't saying the move wasn't punishable. I was simply saying that unless you look at which direction your opponent is holding the stick, you're not going to know which direction they're going.

Iris

Smash Ace
The camera adjusts to give an idea of where they're moving.

Platformations

Smash Cadet
lool

Well, your friend sucks and shouldn't be playing zelda if he's going spam side b the whole game.

Uh, if your opponent can't doge an easy move to dodge I wonder who actually sucks?

I for one use B forward the whole game if my opponet is a scrub who cannot block/dodge.

A good player should force the Zelda to stop spamming.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
^ I agree, good players will definitely force Zelda to stop spamming.

Who do you use? Certain characters can stop Din's without worrying about dodging. Each character that can reflect can stop Din's like the spacies, Mario, and G&W can just absorb it.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Sjeele, what character do you play? We might be able to help you out more if we know the possible moves.

PsychoKnight

Smash Cadet
If you are good, you will be able to block and dodge the Dins Fire.

You probably already did it , or everyone else stated it, but just during the match, just see the pattern and see how he reacts when you block or dodge, see what happens and from there..destroy.

Dahlaine

Smash Cadet
In my experience, Dutch are the best non-native english speakers around :p

Anyway, I myself see no problem in dodging Din's fire and I only spam it against CPU's from time to time (we all have our pleasures).

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
Hmmmm..... I say its best to learn about the timing on Din's fire.:laugh:

People can easily say how easy it is to dodge Zelda's Din's Fire by sidestepping/ absorbing it but they should also be worrying about how they are going to close in on her. If the other player just keeps spot dodging/absorbing the attack, they will never cover any distance and are bound to screw up. In the mean time, Zelda is on her merry way, spamming Din's Fire. :laugh: So IMO, the best way to dodge it is airdodging and/or rolling ( or w/e its called). That way, you can actually get close to Zelda.;)

A good alternative( as someone said earlier) is to use a quick projectile to knock Zelda out of her concentrating state and make the Din's Fire go right by you. As said before, Falco's lasers, and Pit's arrows are good. But maybe you can tell us what character(s) you use to help us make a better guide for you.:laugh:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Eh, some people I play do aerials and "cancel out" the phire while still approaching me.

~Peachy~

Eh, some people I play do aerials and "cancel out" the phire while still approaching me.
Hmmm..... Touche. ( or however you spell it.) :laugh:

Cancel out? Does that mean they hit you while Din's firing or that they dodged the attack? Do you have an examples of a few aerials that would save you from the wrath of a charged up Din's fire? I'd say by the time it reaches you, it would have already grown too large to be dodged out by an aerial attack. If they were relatively close to you, that'd be a different story because:

A) Some people have nice ranges with aerials. ( Ness for example)

B) The range of Din's Fire's Explosion isn't that large unless its from a distance.

C) I believe that Din's fire has some lag. (not sure if its beginning or ending though.)

So basically, I really can't see how they canceled it out with an aerial NJzFinest unless they were right next to you. ( then why would you Din's Fire anyway?)
:laugh:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You basically attack the fire without receiving any damage and knockback. It's really easy with Sheik's Nair and Marth's Fair.

Oh, and "right next to you" is really stretching it since they don't have to be that close to simply attack it.

~Peachy~

You basically attack the fire without receiving any damage and knockback. It's really easy with Sheik's Nair and Marth's Fair.

Oh, and "right next to you" is really stretching it since they don't have to be that close to simply attack it.
I was talking about attacking Zelda, not the fireball itself.

I've done research and yes, many of the cast's nairs, bairs, and some other aerials can cancel the Din's Fire out. *credit to Peachkid for telling me this*:laugh:

Of course, the choice to air dodge or to cancel out the Fire is entirely situational.

A) For example, if Zelda is using Din's Fire and you are in range, you can aerial the fire( canceling it) and probably score a hit on Zelda. Following up from there.

B) When far away from Zelda, its the player's choice to cancel it or air dodge. It really is up to preference but IMO, its just easier to air dodge. Although, both require good timing.:laugh:

Top Bottom