• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

berserker00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Berserker10
3DS FC
1220-7875-3865
Switch FC
6493 3764 6404
What do you guys think of second maining Shulk? Is it a good idea? I've been doing well with him lately to the point that I can stand toe-to-toe with some of my national scene's best (As Berserker. Berserker. can attest) but I don't really know if it's a good idea in the long run.

By far, he's been the hardest character in the game for me to second (since he's so damn hard to maintain also given that I barely have time to play the bloody game) plus I first main a character that also has his share of technical play and difficulty.

EDIT: First post in eons and it's a pagesteal? :o

Last edited:

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
By far, he's been the hardest character in the game for me to second (since he's so damn hard to maintain also given that I barely have time to play the bloody game) plus I first main a character that also has his share of technical play and difficulty.
Though I don't like turning people away from playing Shulk, your post makes it sound like a bad idea (competitively). Assuming you main Link, I don't know much about him but I doubt Shulk helps very much with his tough matchups. It just sounds like a high tier would a be a better use of your limited time, maybe someone easy to use like Mario

But who knows, maybe try it out for a bit. I don't have a high opinion on Shulk but I play him anyways cause it's fun.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
What do you guys think of second maining Shulk? Is it a good idea? I've been doing well with him lately to the point that I can stand toe-to-toe with some of my national scene's best (As Berserker. Berserker. can attest) but I don't really know if it's a good idea in the long run.

Pssssst.
Play whats fun. Evolve the meta for shulk. Would be nice to have a bit representation, but I don't think that link and shulk cover each others weaknesses that well.
... Shulk is the strongest, heaviest, fastest character in the game after all.

Sandfall

Stage Designer

If you're looking to win tournaments, then no.
If you're playing casually/semi-competitively, then yes. He's a pretty fun character!

Duke27

Centurion
NNID
DukeCrimson27
3DS FC
3368-2844-0762
Hahaha...*Shulk amiibo praise*
It seems Shulk is no longer gamestop exclusive, which means we should not have as much trouble locating one. It may not be much longer! You get a Shulk amiibo, you get a Shulk amiibo, everyone gets a Shulk amiibo!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It seems Shulk is no longer gamestop exclusive, which means we should not have as much trouble locating one. It may not be much longer! You get a Shulk amiibo, you get a Shulk amiibo, everyone gets a Shulk amiibo!
Oh, he's back already.
I got Shulk already back in July, which he was pretty expense at the time.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
And when all I wanted was Isaac -_-

Although a reason why Monolith Soft was born is that they didn't want to keep making Final Fantasy so I guess Cloud would be more of rival to Shulk

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Nah I am also looking forward to the Final Fantasy 7 theme, on his stage as well as the victory theme.

(and Isaac!!!!! Shulk and Isaac, Nintendo RPG bros for life x D)

Last edited:
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Goku, Saitama or some other random character makes it in

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I know jack-all about FF7 other than that Cloud was basically the Goku of Brawl: popular character who regardless had no chance. I do like how he's turned out though. No use wondering about whether he "deserves" it or not since he's in. I personally think it's cool we can have Nintendo and Square Enix's blondie RPG heroes square off.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Well...it's been quite a while sense I've posted here...CLOUDS BRINGING THE THUNDAH HYYYYPE. Geez...cloud is...is not my first choice of someone in smash4. He's barely been in any Nintendo system. I mean like twice. Only two times has he been in a Nintendo system.
Anyway. Still clean on XCX and its staying that way.
And I may as well start a debate here. Shulk vs Cloud. Who would win in a fight? Me personally thinks that Shulk will definitely win.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
I feel bad for all the people who hate anime-style characters, haha! That's 3 of the 4 DLC characters now.

Also RIP Ike mains.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I feel bad for all the people who hate anime-style characters, haha! That's 3 of the 4 DLC characters now.

Also RIP Ike mains.
It's understandable for some old generation to dislike anime-style characters, but for this reason to push Cloud out of Smash, is just ridiculous. Nintendo, SquareEnix, Capcom, Namco, all from Japan, so not a surprise at all.
Also RIP Ike mains.
I'm pretty sure Cloud has advantage over Ike, his Smash attacks are more faster and he has quicker meteor Smash, and of course, projectiles~~~

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I'm really hoping this announcement doesn't make Shulk the doc of Cloud now |: '
I still have hope he's good, I've just been using Shulk for painful matchups like Ness these days in tournies only.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I'm trying to not be excited for XCX. Xenoblade felt like a fluke of how much I loved the freaking game and I have doubts they can match my love for it D:.
Low expectations can be nice going into a game though, even if its okay it exceeds your expectations.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
All I can say is I wasn't expecting Cloud. I might buy him just to test out him out.
Also that Final Fantasy stage for best tourny stage.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
In terms of XCX, I expected Nintendo to take one last chance to shove it down our throats (and they did, which is a good thing!) I expected to it be some short and pretty straightforward "The world is ending in # days. Buy this game." deal, but instead we got a trailer that had a humourous spin on it. I liked what they did with it. I watched the European Direct.
Then I found out that the US actually got the boring talk from Bill about the game and preloading load packs.

So... if anyone missed it, you could watch XCX in the US part of the Direct or you could "Try Something a Bit More Exciting".

Pssssst.
Play whats fun. Evolve the meta for shulk. Would be nice to have a bit representation, but I don't think that link and shulk cover each others weaknesses that well.
... Shulk is the strongest, heaviest, fastest character in the game after all.
HE'S BIGGER, FASTER, AND STRONGER TOO
HE'S THE FIRST MEMBER OF THE XC CREW
HUH!

[3:16 of screaming] :D

D

Deleted member

I don't hate Cloud by any means, but I would have preferred someone from Final Fantasy I-VI (aka the FF games that actually were on Nintendo systems). That being said, his moveset does look fun and I do respect Sakurai's decision to include him based on his own merits.

One thing that really excites me is that he'll be fighting Shulk; Not just because they're both blond RPG protagonists with big swords, but consider this: Xenoblade spiritual predecessor Xenogears started as an early concept for FFVII, and now these two characters are coincidentally featured in the same game.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I don't hate Cloud by any means, but I would have preferred someone from Final Fantasy I-VI (aka the FF games that actually were on Nintendo systems). That being said, his moveset does look fun and I do respect Sakurai's decision to include him based on his own merits.

One thing that really excites me is that he'll be fighting Shulk; Not just because they're both blond RPG protagonists with big swords, but consider this: Xenoblade spiritual predecessor Xenogears started as an early concept for FFVII, and now these two characters are coincidentally featured in the same game.
You're not the only one, I've seen a lot of other people who have the same view. Would have preferred I-VI. That said, in my view, Cloud's the FF posterboy aside from Lightning, so if it was going to be anyone it was probably down to them.

I'd forgotten about the Xenogears and FF link, so yeah. That's pretty awesome to think of how that worked out :)

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
In terms of XCX, I expected Nintendo to take one last chance to shove it down our throats (and they did, which is a good thing!) I expected to it be some short and pretty straightforward "The world is ending in # days. Buy this game." deal, but instead we got a trailer that had a humourous spin on it. I liked what they did with it. I watched the European Direct.
Then I found out that the US actually got the boring talk from Bill about the game and preloading load packs.

So... if anyone missed it, you could watch XCX in the US part of the Direct or you could "Try Something a Bit More Exciting".

HE'S BIGGER, FASTER, AND STRONGER TOO
HE'S THE FIRST MEMBER OF THE XC CREW
HUH!

[3:16 of screaming] :D
Why can't the us get a trailer like this,but no we get bill talking our ears off, but I guest it for the best so people don't have to set through loading times.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've gotten back into playing Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm going to put this bad boy to bed before I play X.

Last edited:
Are you guys still alive? Haha

Going on a 3 (or 4) day off but you guys seem to be passive so yeah

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
So I decided to go with the special edition because that USB. RIP wallet this holiday.

I guess Rodea The Sky Soldier techinally the last Wii game now? :lol: Fun game btw. The Wii U version a sham though... (Hope I can sell it)

So you are all on Skype, huh? :c

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I feel betrayed.

Some time ago I accepted the side quest which asks for you to have a perfect affinity between Shulk and Reyn, then between two girls in the party. The former was already done, but the later, not at all.

I was excited to complete this quest because I fully expected it to get one of Shulk's extra skill trees from it, considering having Shulk as the leader is necessary to trigger the quest in the first place and its fulfillments conditions are unlike most other quests, so I forced a pink affinity between Sharla and Melia. And I actually got no extra skill tree... what a letdown.

So without too much spoiler about side quests and the skill trees themselves, how well hidden the quests for the extra skill trees are? May I reasonably expect to complete most of them without relying on an extra source? I already unlocked one of the extra trees for the spoiler character without any prior knowledge that extra skill trees already existed in the first place in my first playthrough and I did unlock it again in my second and current one, plus I accidentally spoiled myself about how to unlock one of Riki's, but the rest I'd prefer to not be spoiled about exactly how to get them. It's just so I can have an idea of a scale about how well hidden they may be. (I also don't want to be spoiled about what skills those extra trees grant, btw.)

D

Deleted member

After watching around 70 videos in Spectator Mode of:4shulk:players in For Glory in which 3 of them won, doesn't:4shulk:became the new holder of the worst win ratio after :4littlemac:with the latest patches ?

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
After watching around 70 videos in Spectator Mode of:4shulk:players in For Glory in which 3 of them won, doesn't:4shulk:became the new holder of the worst win ratio after :4littlemac:with the latest patches ?
Really? That's interesting. Have For Glory Shulks adopted For Glory Little Mac's patented side b off the stage?

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Welp, somebody didn't see me playing then. ...Is what I'd like to say. My FG win rate is still just a bit over 50% overall, with a recent streak of maybe 64%. 98% of my FG win rate is purely Shulk and Robin.

I'm just about ready to claim title of best Shulk on the whole island, the only Shulk player better than me hasn't played him for months, and has no intention of doing so again. Reads and Art optimization are improving, I'm even getting some DAir spikes lately. Still can't place better than 5th in any tourneys, but I'm hopeful that will end soon. On the flop side, the island's best just decided to solo main Sheik... I better practice the MU like mad now.

Also, hi! Sorry haven't been posting much here.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Pfft, who uses Skype, what chumps :p

I feel betrayed.

Some time ago I accepted the side quest which asks for you to have a perfect affinity between Shulk and Reyn, then between two girls in the party. The former was already done, but the later, not at all.

I was excited to complete this quest because I fully expected it to get one of Shulk's extra skill trees from it, considering having Shulk as the leader is necessary to trigger the quest in the first place and its fulfillments conditions are unlike most other quests, so I forced a pink affinity between Sharla and Melia. And I actually got no extra skill tree... what a letdown.

So without too much spoiler about side quests and the skill trees themselves, how well hidden the quests for the extra skill trees are? May I reasonably expect to complete most of them without relying on an extra source? I already unlocked one of the extra trees for the spoiler character without any prior knowledge that extra skill trees already existed in the first place in my first playthrough and I did unlock it again in my second and current one, plus I accidentally spoiled myself about how to unlock one of Riki's, but the rest I'd prefer to not be spoiled about exactly how to get them. It's just so I can have an idea of a scale about how well hidden they may be. (I also don't want to be spoiled about what skills those extra trees grant, btw.)
Uhhh... they're fairly hidden, I guess. I know where Shulk's are, along with one for Melia, Dunban and Sharla but that's it. You are correct in that usually one character will have to initiate the quests, and it's usually at the end of a quest line. At the very least I can say you have the right mindset in searching for them. None are missable, I believe. But when you think about it, there's 14 skill trees to earn as extras, and (if I recall correctly) 400+ quests. They're in (reasonably) sensible places for each character, but you'll still have to acknowledge that there's a lot of quests you might have to do to find them. Some might be accessible after certain levels of Colony 6's reconstruction but I don't really remember. It's been a while :laugh:

Top Bottom