• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
You don't go into games with such a massive and differing cast expecting a Shakespeare-level story. Even Subspace Emissary, with everything that happens behind the scenes isn't that deep.

The cast is pretty much the reason you pick up the game, along with seeing how they interact with characters from other games. You most likely end up learning about several franchises you never knew existed. And as a handheld title with generous quicksaves it's easy to kill a few minutes while delivering very entertaining beatdowns while laughing at jokes made by the characters. It's just pure fun.
I understand and knew the story was going blow because there's...like literally hundreds of protagonists characters that do speak. First time I play almost any game I play for gameplay not story. Only one game I've ever played got me sucked into the story and I actually liked the story. That game is Xenoblade chronicles (obviously). And when Xeno X comes out. I'll be playing that game for both gameplay and story.
I also don't play games a few minutes at a time. And after a few chapters of the game I got bored, because its really repetitive. Like its more repetitive then a spammy link using nothing but B, side B, and down B.
Edit: I also can agree with the learning about new characters and I did indeed learn a lot about other characters.
The games just not for me. Good enough? Good.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Schnee117 Schnee117 posted this in the Robin thread, so I'm sharing it here. Project X Zone 2 related.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I have converted another person to the brilliance of Xenoblade! Huzzah!

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while since I've been here! :202: But I'm still feeling the Shulk time power.

Excited for XCX, although I've heard it's not as good as XC. :217:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while since I've been here! :202: But I'm still feeling the Shulk time power.

Well that's other peoples opinions. Before anyone in America starts saying which is better we need actually play the game for ourselves then make our own opinions. I'm hoping it's just as good or better then the first Xenoblade, but I kinda doubt it will be better. Not by looks or characters, but just because of how great chronicles is. I mean like really? How many games that are on the Wii or Wii u are actually better then Xenoblade chronicles? On both a technical level and on an opinionated level?
Anyway, I've been meaning to listen to more of xcx music and what songs do you guys recommend? Out of the I think 3 or 4 songs I've heard so far, codename z is my favorite.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Eh, I'll probably still fan girl over Xeno X anyways.
Plus that replay value yo. Look how huge the first main area is!
Edit: Is smashboards redesigned? I looks a bit different on my Wii U.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Eh, I'll probably still fan girl over Xeno X anyways.
Plus that replay value yo. Look how huge the first main area is!
Edit: Is smashboards redesigned? I looks a bit different on my Wii U.
It got redesigned a couple of days ago.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Completely subjective. The game's reception in Japan is actually pretty similar to the first game. It should be noted that the Japanese fans did not seem to enjoy the first game's story as much as the western fans. Some of the negative reviews are actually from people who didn't enjoy the first game. And a lot of the importers unfairly criticized the game even though they don't know Japanese. That being said, the story structure in XCX is different compared to XC. Despite the shorter main story, it is still as big as or even bigger than XC if you factor in the sidequests.

Well that's other peoples opinions. Before anyone in America starts saying which is better we need actually play the game for ourselves then make our own opinions. I'm hoping it's just as good or better then the first Xenoblade, but I kinda doubt it will be better. Not by looks or characters, but just because of how great chronicles is. I mean like really? How many games that are on the Wii or Wii u are actually better then Xenoblade chronicles? On both a technical level and on an opinionated level?
Anyway, I've been meaning to listen to more of xcx music and what songs do you guys recommend? Out of the I think 3 or 4 songs I've heard so far, codename z is my favorite.
I love most of the vocal songs which you can listen to below.

"The Way" by Sayulee

"Your Voice" by Mika Kobayashi

"Uncontrollable" by Mika Kobayashi & mpi

"So Nah, So Fern" by Mika Kobayashi

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Completely subjective. The game's reception in Japan is actually pretty similar to the first game. It should be noted that the Japanese fans did not seem to enjoy the first game's story as much as the western fans. Some of the negative reviews are actually from people who didn't enjoy the first game. And a lot of the importers unfairly criticized the game even though they don't know Japanese. That being said, the story structure in XCX is different compared to XC. Despite the shorter main story, it is still as big as or even bigger than XC if you factor in the sidequests.

I love most of the vocal songs which you can listen to below.

"The Way" by Sayulee

"Your Voice" by Mika Kobayashi

"Uncontrollable" by Mika Kobayashi & mpi

"So Nah, So Fern" by Mika Kobayashi
About the tracks you added:

You forget Wir Fliegen!!!?

And after listening to Black Tar some more times, I guess I have warmed up to it. I did like it before as well.

Although the lyrics are still pretty grim.

Oh and The Key That We've Lost. First trailer music.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
OK I got a question and I know you guys can help me with it. I'm doing an essay for english. The essays topic is basically do a review of a video game. I'm doing Xenoblade Chronicles. We need 3 main topics and I only have 2 which are the gameplay and story. What would that last topic be?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
OK I got a question and I know you guys can help me with it. I'm doing an essay for english. The essays topic is basically do a review of a video game. I'm doing Xenoblade Chronicles. We need 3 main topics and I only have 2 which are the gameplay and story. What would that last topic be?
Music?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not sure if any of this would technically fall under gameplay or story, but... characters? Graphics? Content? Just spitballing.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Your doing an essay that is reviewing a video game? I feel jealous...

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Could innovation be a topic with Xenoblade? Just a thought.

Also, went to a tourney on Sunday, played Shulk the whole way through and got 5th out of 16, so I'll post full results in the tourney thread sometime this weekend. Just thought I'd mention it though. (Man, there was a hardcore crowd...)

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I'd honestly reccomend you watching a completionist episode. Anyone. He could give you some ideas for it.

Also, never forget, absolutely never forget to make it clear and short. Long drawn out explanations are more on the hated side, since limited attention span.

Edit: Shieldstun added. J-just what... wow... that will shift a LOT of how characters are played... guys, nair into grab against shields while buster is active...?
Let's try out maaaany more things...

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
OK so lets see...
*looks at 1.1.1 patch notes*
Oh they nerfed bowser. That's kinda weird.
Shield breakers shield breaking ability got nerfed?! Thats really dumb!
*sees rosalina and luma on the list* Did they give her and that parasite the banana slammed (Diddy Kong) treatment?!
*scrolls down a bit more* They....they buffed her.......*sigh*....I think I'm done with smash4.

Anyway. I saw that video above about the shulk killing that shieks shield twice. Did they buff busters ability to break shields? Because they needed like everyone's shield breaking move.

Also thanks to the guys that gave me ideas for my essay. I decided on music being my third topic.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Did they? Cuz I check Smash Wiki, he seems to get buffs.
I personally dislike Marth and Lucina's shield breaker so I'm fine if they are nerfed.
*sees rosalina and luma on the list* Did they give her and that parasite the banana slammed (Diddy Kong) treatment?!
All they did so far was tweak her custom moves, and they did nerf her jab a bit, Diddy I'm not sure.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
OK so lets see...
*looks at 1.1.1 patch notes*
*scrolls down a bit more* They....they buffed her.......*sigh*....I think I'm done with smash4.

Anyway. I saw that video above about the shulk killing that shieks shield twice. Did they buff busters ability to break shields? Because they needed like everyone's shield breaking move.

Also thanks to the guys that gave me ideas for my essay. I decided on music being my third topic.
All forms of buster were indirectly buffed by globally increased shieldstun. That's why shield breaker was nerfed to counterbalance it.

The whole luma tilt while grabbed thing doesn't change much. Just throw quickly.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Did they? Cuz I check Smash Wiki, he seems to get buffs.

I personally dislike Marth and Lucina's shield breaker so I'm fine if they are nerfed.

All they did so far was tweak her custom moves, and they did nerf her jab a bit, Diddy I'm not sure.
All forms of buster were indirectly buffed by globally increased shieldstun. That's why shield breaker was nerfed to counterbalance it.

The whole luma tilt while grabbed thing doesn't change much. Just throw quickly.
OK can one of you or someone explain the new shieldstun thing please. I don't understand that yet. And I know its her customs they buffed but still...its rosalina and lumas customs. Her side b 2, the quick single starbit thing. It was already the most spammy move in the game in 1.1.10 and before. So they reduce ending lag on it which was already very little...genius...just genius. And they buffed her jab not needed...sadly.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Long story short, when you attack someone's shield, they're forced to stay inside of it for a longer period of time before they can act out of it than they did last patch. This additional time is based on the damage of the attack, so Buster Shulk has even more shield safety than what this change already does.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
OK can one of you or someone explain the new shieldstun thing please. I don't understand that yet. And I know its her customs they buffed but still...its rosalina and lumas customs. Her side b 2, the quick single starbit thing. It was already the most spammy move in the game in 1.1.10 and before. So they reduce ending lag on it which was already very little...genius...just genius. And they buffed her jab not needed...sadly.
Nair into jab "can" break shields on buster in certain cases.
Certain Aerials into grab is now a valid strategy, since shieldstun prevents them from grabbing you first, Shieldstun scales with % dmg. (Buster tho, makes shulks move super save thanks to shieldstun.)

So... we may can't combo, but shieldstun + our range... heck, that's a nice thing. Almost terrifying. Sonic will now be a ***** too.
Almost considering using shield art instead of shield... WAIT

Anyone checked if shield art decreases shieldstun yet? (Except through dmg reduction obv.)

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Shield sorta does by default because shield stun is improved by damage and Shield mode reduces damage. It'll probably help a little, but with Shulk's mediocre OOS it probably won't give him too much of an edge. I could be wrong though: if other characters can't shield certain things safely but Shield Shulk can that might be nice.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
In theory, that is one of the best patches ever. Consecutive MALLC users can simply use MALLC instead of shield now, while everyone else has Shieldstun...

And I wrote Except by the obvious dmg reduction. If Shield Art shulk still had the same Shieldstun as prepatch, it would be an pretty good art actually.

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
So I guess most of you guys will be watching TBH5 on stream this weekend but there's also going to be a big European tournament at the same time in the UK, with at least 4 Shulk players attending! (@SiLeNtDo0m , Taitsu Taitsu , a Shulk player from Sweden whose name I don't know and myself)

I'm super excited for this, and if some of you guys have some time you might see some Shulk play on stream :D
(On http://www.twitch.tv/datteamlive , on both Saturday and Sunday from around 12AM to 10PM UTC+1)

SilentDoom's pool http://gp-tips.challonge.com/fr/dbz7poolE
Taitsu's pool http://gp-tips.challonge.com/fr/dbz7poolA
my pool http://gp-tips.challonge.com/fr/dbz7poolB

Taitsu's pool is the hardest by far xD He'll have to outplace either Afrosmash, Marcbri (who's a top player from Spain), or freaking Mr.R to get out of pools (since only top 3 advances to the final bracket).

Anyway, let's see how this new patch changes things for Shulk! :)

Taitsu

Smash Rookie
Bull****, my pool is the easiest by far, i'll just have to deal with some scrubs. /s

I hope that the Shulk Salty Suite will be on stream, could be fun. ^^

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Good luck bronados! Are you guys using the latest patch?
Thanks! Yeap, the tournament will be using the latest patch! An additional rule even had to be made at the last moment to deal with the Diddy glitch (no Diddy ban, but we'll have to pause the game and call a TO if it happens)

Last edited:
I only know like... 2 people in those pools other than the Shulk players. That's Big D ( Scarhi Scarhi ) and Mr R (for Taitsu Taitsu )

Both of them are reeeeally good. Good luck

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Has anyone checked out the Survival Guide videos (well they are in English now) that Nintendo has been posting to promote Xeno X? They give a spoiler free-ish intro to the game while running you through the gameplay and what not. Pretty much standard information, especially if you have tracked the progress of the game but hype worthy nonetheless. The second guide came out today.

This and listening to the soundtracks has got me all hyped up for December 4th now. And then there is the near final localized build in action.

P.S. I am sharing this because I think you guys deserve a chance to survive.... xD

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Welp...I had a feeling that someone would dig in the new patch immediately after it came out. So 3 character slots along with 3 stage slots that are all empty. That means its basically confirmed that were getting 3 new characters and stages each. What characters do you guys want? I'm hoping Melia, Knuckles, or Seven. Stages I don't really care about because I do almost exclusively omega forms.

Also I finally decided to actually start my 100% Xenoblade play though.

D

Deleted member

It's been a while since I last posted here.
Welp...I had a feeling that someone would dig in the new patch immediately after it came out. So 3 character slots along with 3 stage slots that are all empty. That means its basically confirmed that were getting 3 new characters and stages each. What characters do you guys want? I'm hoping Melia, Knuckles, or Seven. Stages I don't really care about because I do almost exclusively omega forms.

Also I finally decided to actually start my 100% Xenoblade play though.
Narrowing my wanted characters down to three (that also happen to have negligible chances):

Zael
Simon Belmont
Melia

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Three characters? Argh, I have so many...
Okay, just a few that I wouldn't mind, and actually think they could make a half-decent fighter:
Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)
Shantae (even though I've never played her game. :troll:)
Fiora (you guys are to blame. xD)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Obviously it is:

Young Isaac
Isaac
Adult Isaac xD

Well to make a very safe (as well as likeable) guess would be: