• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
I might be able to help. My cousin mains Ike, and we play all the time. He might be able to give you some tips about the matchup. Actually we'll be playing tonight around 4 (pretty sure that's 9pm in London time) if everything goes according to plan, so if you want to join, you're welcome. We'll play some 1v1s, and then if you're really feeling it, maybe some doubles.
Thanks man. I guess I will be really feeling it!

Speed and jump >>>>>>> Buster against Peach imo

Also, some Peach player managed to pull out 2-bob ombs and 2 wrinkled turnips on me in one match. Yeh. Dat RNG tho

Gonna be busy for a while guys so my activity might be a bit inconsistent. Just throwing it out here

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I feel you Berserk.

So. . .this is kinda surprising but somehow I beat my previous HRC score that I thought I could never do but I did. Anyone know the WR for Shulk's HRC score?

Here's my updated HRC score for Shulk btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4dRL0D4FQ

EDIT: I've seen the WR video for Shulk's HRC. HOLY HOTNESS IT'S MONADO MAJESTIC!

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I can't do feet->m conversion in my head, but I think I have roughly 2,800m (I really can't remember) with Shulk, which should be a little below 6,000ft. Nice stuff :D

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I can't do feet->m conversion in my head, but I think I have roughly 2,800m (I really can't remember) with Shulk, which should be a little below 6,000ft. Nice stuff :D

9186.35 ft

>edited

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
That's over 9000 feet!!!

Wait... that doesn't sound right then. I wish I was that good. Maybe 1,800? Might have to check when I get home.

Edit:
I bet it'll be significantly lower than I thought :laugh:
I remember landing three Home Run Bat smashes and an uSmash in Buster, was definitely less than Masonomace's score.

Looking at how I did that conversion - 3ft per m, so yeah, nearly 3000m = 9000ft. It's not even 3PM and my brain is already failing me... gonna be a long day... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

So my friend found a new Shulk glitch.

It seemingly occurs when you buffer an art cancel and while buffering it performing a move, which makes the game just give up I guess.
So this is a thing, don't think I've seen it anywhere.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
... I don't know what to think anymore. It shouldn't be there, but it's still there? I'm going to have to test this myself.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I tried it out for myself a bit, it's definitely still there against Sheik, but it's super precise. Might be character specific too?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So, uh... the event I've been preparing for is DI Another Day, never attended a Smash major before so this should be good. There's been a hype video put together for it.
The Shulk in the video may or may not be me.
Everyone else assumed it was but it's actually not.

If I want to get out of pools, I'll have to get Top 2 against an insane Yoshi, the red Falcon from ^that video, a R.O.B. player who destroyed me in tournaments past, a Fox player who got hilariously salty about continually losing to me (nice guy though), and some others that are unknown to me. I'm seeded second to the Yoshi though, so fingers crossed.

Seeded 10th for Doubles, hoping for at least Top 8.

Should be a great weekend.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Anybody interested in a simplified knockback formula?

Usually written like this:
(((((p/10+pd/20)200/(w+100)1.4)+18)s)+b)r

I simplified to this:
(14p(d+2)/(100+w)+18+b)sr

variables are the same as they are on smashwiki:
p is the percentage of the target, counted after the attack's damage is added.
d is the damage the attack dealt.
w is the weight of the target.
s is the attack's knockback scaling (also known as knockback growth) divided by 100 (so a scaling of 110 is input as 1.1).
b is the attack's base knockback.
r is a ratio based on a number of factors, including: Difficulty Handicap (not in Brawl) Smash charge interruption bonus Crouching penalty Type effectiveness (Brawl only) Rage (Smash 4 only)
Then, here's a version of that formula which is good for calculating things like Shield Shulk or Speed Shulk dealing knockback, or Jump Shulk taking knockback:

(14(d+2)(v+t)/(100+w)+18+b)sr

-There is no p
v = damage of victim before taking damage
t = damage actually taken
d = damage listed on the unmodified hitbox

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Anybody interested in a simplified knockback formula?

Usually written like this:
(((((p/10+pd/20)200/(w+100)1.4)+18)s)+b)r

I simplified to this:
(14p(d+2)/(100+w)+18+b)sr

variables are the same as they are on smashwiki:

Then, here's a version of that formula which is good for calculating things like Shield Shulk or Speed Shulk dealing knockback, or Jump Shulk taking knockback:

(14(d+2)(v+t)/(100+w)+18+b)sr

-There is no p
v = damage of victim before taking damage
t = damage actually taken
d = damage listed on the unmodified hitbox
That's... not correct. Expanding your simplification gives
Code:
(((((p/10 + pd/20) x 200/(w + 100) x1.4) + 18) x s) + sb) x r
which is close but definitely not correct. (Unless KBG is 100)

A better formula is
Code:
((((28p + 14pd)/(100+w) + 18) x s) + b) x r
which is really not very much better.

Of course you can just squish everything together to get
Code:
(28psr + 14pdsr + 1800sr + 18wsr + 100br + bwr)/(100+w)
which is frankly disgusting.

The original formula is still the best imo.

Also for the love of all things math-related do not write your math out like that it makes my eyes hurt

So, uh... the event I've been preparing for is DI Another Day, never attended a Smash major before so this should be good. There's been a hype video put together for it.

If I want to get out of pools, I'll have to get Top 2 against an insane Yoshi, the red Falcon from ^that video, a R.O.B. player who destroyed me in tournaments past, a Fox player who got hilariously salty about continually losing to me (nice guy though), and some others that are unknown to me. I'm seeded second to the Yoshi though, so fingers crossed.

Good luck man. Just give it your all :)

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
That's... not correct. Expanding your simplification gives
Code:
(((((p/10 + pd/20) x 200/(w + 100) x1.4) + 18) x s) + sb) x r
which is close but definitely not correct. (Unless KBG is 100)

A better formula is
Code:
((((28p + 14pd)/(100+w) + 18) x s) + b) x r
which is really not very much better.

Of course you can just squish everything together to get
Code:
(28psr + 14pdsr + 1800sr + 18wsr + 100br + bwr)/(100+w)
which is frankly disgusting.

The original formula is still the best imo.

Also for the love of all things math-related do not write your math out like that it makes my eyes hurt
Aye, thanks, it seems it is. Hmmm... I originally did it on paper, and tested it multiple times with it working. Must have made a mistake translating it to the computer. Or maybe it was the original I mistyped. Well, I'll need to review it later. Busy right now

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, I love getting on the Shulk social and seeing a bunch of math...I hate math.

Anyway how's it been goin' guys. It's been a while. I've been busy with school and band and most of my free time is either on hyrule warriors or this new ORAS nuzlocke vs I'm doing with a friend of mine. Few problems I've been dealing with as well...oh well, its nothin' new. Hopefully I'll have some more time to do Smash4 and smashboards in the future.

So, I'm back from a grind session. Really glad to know that most of my ideas actually worked with Shulk :)

Buffered deactivation is the future

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Everyday is Shulk day in Colony Siss.
(Tbh I don't think there is an actual Shulk day.)
Edit: Oh now I see what you mean.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hi guyz.

So, today is August the 29th, and it is also the day Shulk has been officially revealed 1 year ago to date.

I've just made this topic for this occasion, which I invite you to read, as I also tell something special but very significant to me.

Best regards !

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
This reenactment video I made sure brings back memories from one year ago, right? It's based on that leak footage including Shulk, Lucina, Ganondorf, and Charizard on Yoshi's Island.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

:4diddy: - Have fought surprisingly few Diddy Kongs, so all I really knew was "Don't get banana'd, don't get grabbed, don't get side-B'd." Pretty solid player who apparently hadn't attended a tournament since the Brawl days. Monado Speed, you da real MVP.
:4fox: - I get the feeling this guy was put in my pool because he once had a cry to some other TO's about going against me in two consecutive tournaments and losing twice... so it'd be hilarious to pair us together again. He's certainly a Melee/PM player because he was going for some odd things that I'm pretty sure don't work in Smash 4. Pretty rough matchup, but I managed it.
:4yoshi: - Top seed, so as 2nd seed we really wanted to battle last but didn't have the luxury. Expected a loss because I know he's a cut above everyone in the local scene. Went very evenly down to the last stock. Then he opened with a 33% dair and it all went downhill. Got dunked and everything. Took him to Dreamland to try and abuse the platforms but he used it better - pretty sure he 2-stocked me.
:4falcon: - I always knew it'd come down to this match. I assumed I'd lose to Yoshi, so placing 2nd in the pool meant beating this guy. Ergh, the dash grab... first game was pretty even until he killed me at 70% with a knee and won. Second game I took him to Dreamland and nearly 2-stocked him. Platforms are amazing, Buster goes to town on him. Good, I just need to play like this again. Third match... I don't know what happened. He took my first stock whilst still at 30% and I knew it was over. Not sure what changed, but he just started reading me like a book.
:4rob: - The Falcon player struggled against him so I thought this would be equally rough; at the start of the year, this guy ruined me. Last time I didn't really know ROB's game plan in a fight so it didn't work out. Not the case this time. I basically ran right through him without any problem. I guess the Monado works on Mechon.

??? - Someone didn't show up.

So yeah, Falcon only lost to Yoshi, and Yoshi didn't lose a single game... meaning I'm out.
:4shulk::4sonic:

R1: bye'd.
R2: vs. :4shulk:, :4metaknight:/:4sonic: - Some friends of ours. Not too much trouble. Shulk player is usually a Fox guy. They went Shulk/Sonic in the last match basically as a throw-away.
R3: vs. :4luigi::4drmario: - First match was very close, but they took it out. Second match was horrible. I still need to learn how not to get throw -> Tornado'd.
R4: vs. :4bowser::4link: - Heavy hitters scared us a little, as did these guys actually being decent. Very close first match (Came down to Shulk vs. Bowser, both over 120%), I caught his roll getup with a dsmash. Second match was a lot more clean. Springs are the best Doubles partner a Sonic player could ask for.

... and they didn't actually have enough time to get to Top 8. Resuming tomorrow. Got to go against :4ganondorf::4falcon: (these guys work together really well, but we've beaten them before), and if we take that, got to go against winner of :4mario::4pit: and :4sheik::rosalina:. All of these teams are Top 10 Singles players, so... gonna be tough. Don't want to show up to get knocked out immediately.
This is more towards my Singles results, but... I'm not mad, just pretty disappointed and disheartened about not making it out of pools. Congrats to the Falcon player who was the make-or-break fight for me, he played very well today and deserves the win.

But I spent a lot of time practising. I barely even saw my family in the last two weeks because I was at 3-4 events a week playing Smash with people at venues an hour from home. I've put myself in a pretty bad position with work because of how much time I've been putting into Smash. I bailed out of a friend's birthday and also bailed out of a good portion of my dad's 50th birthday for this. So I feel pretty **** considering that I have nothing to show for it.

Even more frustrating is know that I could've beaten the Falcon with a little more matchup experience, and that I'm 100% certain I can beat 1/4 of the people that did make it out of pools

I need to take a bit of a Smash hiatus to get my work life back on track, but... outside of that, I'm finding it hard to improve. I think I need to be bodied by people so I can identify my bad habits, or get advice. The problem is that I can't play online because 90% of the time the opponent cries at me for the lag, and maybe I'm just awkward but it feels like the top players in my area have some kind of friend circle I feel like I need to break into if I want to play matches against them outside of tourneys. The Top 10-ish people are really the only guys I'm not 100% certain I can beat (I just feel short of that Top10 honour) and they all play against each other pretty often. Even then, the top players in my area aren't even all that good in my opinion. So basically I want to get better but lack the means to do so. Pretty annoying.

I've had a lot of late nights, maybe I'll feel less disheartened about my ability to play this game after I sleep :laugh:...
tl;dr - The dream is dead. Didn't get out of the pool. Top 2 advanced and I placed 3rd. I'm not mad, just disappointed. Doubles is hanging on by a thread.

Was also going to try to get on stream so I could rewatch and learn, but it seems kind of needy to go "Hey, put me on stream", so it didn't end up happening.

Last edited:
The best thing to do when things like this happen is simply to not get demotivated. That's all there's to it. There are definitely those moments not only in Smash but in real life wherein you feel like you've worked so hard but the pay off isn't as good as expected. It happens but it shouldn't put you down. Just keep on going. Now, this may sound like well... kind of like bull**** but well, there isn't much to say when it comes to disappointment. Ultimately, it depends on how you deal with it, but if I were you, I'd try to take this tournament as some sort of learning experience if that helps. Also, taking a break from Smash 4 really helps imo. Helps you come back fresh and makes you feel like you're "restarting"

Also, make sure you prioritize your work and real life stuff over Smash. That's more important

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

OHHHHH MY GODDD
(hnnng first month Buyer right here)
What is this and where's it able to be bought? :surprised:
(XCX US Limited Edition...?)

The best thing to do when things like this happen is simply to not get demotivated. That's all there's to it. There are definitely those moments not only in Smash but in real life wherein you feel like you've worked so hard but the pay off isn't as good as expected. It happens but it shouldn't put you down. Just keep on going. Now, this may sound like well... kind of like bull**** but well, there isn't much to say when it comes to disappointment. Ultimately, it depends on how you deal with it, but if I were you, I'd try to take this tournament as some sort of learning experience if that helps. Also, taking a break from Smash 4 really helps imo. Helps you come back fresh and makes you feel like you're "restarting"

Also, make sure you prioritize your work and real life stuff over Smash. That's more important
Yeah I figure I'll get over it :laugh:
I'm usually the guy telling people not to get all salty about the game because it doesn't help anything, so I'll be fine. I'm all for learning from the losses too, which is why I think I need to play more good players.
If there's another upside, I get to make the terrible joke that "I tried so hard and got so faaaar, but in the eeeeend it doesn't even matter".

The only reason I put off real life for this is because it's a new event, wanted to do well against players from around the nation - just happened to be a bit of a busy time. I'm not in such a bad position that I can't work it all back, thankfully :)

Top Bottom