• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen
OK, so Focus attack is Down Special, and the kick is F-Smash. OK, I get it. I confused myself, again. :p

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Ryu's aerials look terrible, either that or I wasn't watching the stream properly. Could be a bit of both
I think that's good. Street Fighter isn't suppose to be fought in the air. Even if people do jump attacks, it's mostly from air-to-ground. I feel like they're trying to keep it Street Fighter as much as they can here, and that's good.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
One of the Roy/Ryu leakers said that they're both ready to play and could be released with Lucas tomorrow, but just to be safe I wouldn't count on it

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
I think that's good. Street Fighter isn't suppose to be fought in the air. Even if people do jump attacks, it's mostly from air-to-ground. I feel like they're trying to keep it Street Fighter as much as they can here, and that's good.
Absolutely right! After all, Sakurai is very clever with giving characters movesets based on the style/pace of their original games.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ryu's moveset and gimmicks are so complex I don't even know either
He plays like a normal Smash character. However, if you know the inputs from the Street Fighter games you can make the Specials stronger. So really, what Sakurai is doing, is keeping as true as possible to Street Fighter by rewarding people who are familiar with his games. Pretty great idea if you ask me.

As an example, his :GCB: is a Hadouken. However, if you input the original command from Street Fighter (:GCD::GCDR::GCR:+:GCB:) The move will be powered up. If you use the EX manuver from the games (:GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR:+:GCB:) it will unleash the EX attack, in this case a Red Fireball aside from the usual blue.

As a Street Fighter fan I am sincerely excited.

Edit: This applies to all specials with the exception of the Focus Attack which is just a charge.

Last edited:

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
So I was watching the comments on Zero's last videos and I found a lot of players saying that we suck against projectiles spammers like Rob or Samus. At first I thought to reply to them trying to explain why we are not (lol Jump and Speed), but then I realised it wasn't even worth trying. They all said they were "pretty good Shulk main" lol.
I guess they played a bit too much FG XD
Most unqualified opinions of Shulk are often so polarized. Either folks are completely dismissive of the character or completely unrealistic of his capabilities-- both of which are upsetting, because they attempt to boil down one of the more complex characters to be either godly or garbage. It's sad how often you see threads of comments with the same basic form (i.e. "Shulk is so bad lol" --> "No he's not, he's great!" --> repeat).

I dunno why some people who play Shulk (read: defensive commenters on Youtube) are so keen for him to be called high/top-tier, which should imply he's an easier character to win with than most, thus dismissing their skills as a player when they win with him. Nor do I understand why people who play against him(read: aggressive commenters on Youtube) insist he is low-tier, which should imply he's practically free, once again dismissing their skills as a player when they defeat him. The only reason I can think of to explain the latter is (potentially) so they can consider Shulk to be lower tier than their own main for... whatever reason. Ego?

I think far too many people somehow see tier lists as a personal offence when characters they like or main are placed low. It's not meant to belittle characters when they are ranked lower than others, and ESPECIALLY not meant to belittle those who play them. If I see Shulk placed higher on a tier list I think "alright cool, this community thinks he has a lot of potential", and if I see Shulk placed lower on another, I think "okay, this community realizes that he has some big weaknesses and has a hard time against xyz match ups". Both analyses are valid, and only time will tell where Shulk finally settles on tier lists.

TL;DR I should really stop reading YT comments. I don't need a vision to know what's going to be there...

P O S I T I V I T Y B O Y S (plus not to detract from DLC Hype): If we do indeed get all three characters tomorrow, who does everyone think will be the most popular on FG afterwards? I'm planning on using nobody but our boy Roy (I love my sword fighters), but I suspect that Ryu will be far more popular because he's completely new and it is, after all, Street Fighter.

Also that's exciting-- Ryu will be the first DLC character not previous in a Smash game. Hopefully there are many more to come!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Foutain of Dreams music is a lot cooler than I remember.
Most unqualified opinions of Shulk are often so polarized. Either folks are completely dismissive of the character or completely unrealistic of his capabilities-- both of which are upsetting, because they attempt to boil down one of the more complex characters to be either godly or garbage. It's sad how often you see threads of comments with the same basic form (i.e. "Shulk is so bad lol" --> "No he's not, he's great!" --> repeat).

I dunno why some people who play Shulk (read: defensive commenters on Youtube) are so keen for him to be called high/top-tier, which should imply he's an easier character to win with than most, thus dismissing their skills as a player when they win with him. Nor do I understand why people who play against him(read: aggressive commenters on Youtube) insist he is low-tier, which should imply he's practically free, once again dismissing their skills as a player when they defeat him. The only reason I can think of to explain the latter is (potentially) so they can consider Shulk to be lower tier than their own main for... whatever reason. Ego?

I think far too many people somehow see tier lists as a personal offence when characters they like or main are placed low. It's not meant to belittle characters when they are ranked lower than others, and ESPECIALLY not meant to belittle those who play them. If I see Shulk placed higher on a tier list I think "alright cool, this community thinks he has a lot of potential", and if I see Shulk placed lower on another, I think "okay, this community realizes that he has some big weaknesses and has a hard time against xyz match ups". Both analyses are valid, and only time will tell where Shulk finally settles on tier lists.

TL;DR I should really stop reading YT comments. I don't need a vision to know what's going to be there...

P O S I T I V I T Y B O Y S (plus not to detract from DLC Hype): If we do indeed get all three characters tomorrow, who does everyone think will be the most popular on FG afterwards? I'm planning on using nobody but our boy Roy (I love my sword fighters), but I suspect that Ryu will be far more popular because he's completely new and it is, after all, Street Fighter.

Also that's exciting-- Ryu will be the first DLC character not previous in a Smash game. Hopefully there are many more to come!
Oh, YouTube.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Wow I lose internet to miss ryu and Roy being leaked.

OK also I've gotten quite a bit better today with Shulk because of the help I've gotten from this social and the people on it, but if there's any other Shulk techs other then MALLC, ASOOS. I'd love to know what they are.

But still, two leaks at once, **** that's something, and isn't l cas being released tomorrow?

You know you guys aren't doing yourselves any favors when you're reading You Tube comments right?

This applies for any type of video. Especially death battles

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
You know you guys aren't doing yourselves any favors when you're reading You Tube comments right?

This applies for any type of video. Especially death battles
Truer words have never been spoken.
And I got a question. If humans are 70% water and we drink water does that make us cannibals?

Ryu vs Shulk is probs Ryu's slight favor or even

Focus strike doesn't look that slow. Okay, maybe it does but I fear that this could be used against Shulk's aerials. Shulk's aerials have landing lag and some endlag so.... gross. Idk. I think you should NEVER rush in with Shulk against Ryu. Like ever. Just keep away and exploit your range against Ryu. Idk

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
He plays like a normal Smash character. However, if you know the inputs from the Street Fighter games you can make the Specials stronger. So really, what Sakurai is doing, is keeping as true as possible to Street Fighter by rewarding people who are familiar with his games. Pretty great idea if you ask me.

As an example, his :GCB: is a Hadouken. However, if you input the original command from Street Fighter (:GCD::GCDR::GCR:+:GCB:) The move will be powered up. If you use the EX manuver from the games (:GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR:+:GCB:) it will unleash the EX attack, in this case a Red Fireball aside from the usual blue.

As a Street Fighter fan I am sincerely excited.

Edit: This applies to all specials with the exception of the Focus Attack which is just a charge.
:link:
Wow! I hadn't known about this until now! As a traditional fighting game fan / player myself, I personally love it and won't find it too unnatural (aside from being on pad as opposed to stick, ha ha). I can't hate on Sakurai for the detail here.

Having seen game-play of these characters already (Ryu and Roy), and they are more-or-less appearing complete, I can't help but have the hopes that they will release later today with Lucas. If not. . . It has to be sometime within the next three months for each, I would imagine.

P.S. We get our first look at English-dub XCX in just two days from now, everyone! ;w;

Patch thread will be made for Shulk in ~3 hours

You know how this works. No placebo please. Evidence or data first.

D

Deleted member

I thought 1.0.8 wasn't a balance patch and was more so to put in Miiverse and allow you to get Roy and Ryu. I guess I was wrong.

Ryu vs Shulk is probs Ryu's slight favor or even

Focus strike doesn't look that slow. Okay, maybe it does but I fear that this could be used against Shulk's aerials. Shulk's aerials have landing lag and some endlag so.... gross. Idk. I think you should NEVER rush in with Shulk against Ryu. Like ever. Just keep away and exploit your range against Ryu. Idk
I have a feeling that Ryu is going to be a top tier character. He certainly has the makings of one in my eyes...
From what I've seen, Ryu's aerials lack range... I guess that could be abused, eh.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Roy's our boy!
Might even consider him as my final secondary.

Ryu looks like fun, but he will be hard to play correctly.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Ryu definitely looks to be overpowered. Or a top tier character atleast.

And complex. Another one that will take time to master.

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Whelp. It's 2:16 AM in my time. I'll continue with testing after I sleep. From how it looks, Shulk doesn't seem changed. Maybe there might be some frame differences here and there but idk

Oh and, some things about Shulk atm

Shulk is p.good against Ryu (even MU). Probably even against Roy. Lucas looks pretty hard, probably Lucas' slight favor, I guess. Ike basically got a shorter ranged Shulk's f-tilt (frame 12, 12% damage. Sounds familiar?) and his dash attack has less start up and it deals more damage on the tip. Other than that, the match up is probably still even or slightly Shulk's favor. Diddy MU is definitely easier now (might be Shulk's slight favor). Sonic and Fox were unchanged. LOL. Sheik is still dumb. Falcon's u-air got a slight damage nerf but it doesn't matter that much because Shulk is fine against Falcon.

In terms of viability, as always, prepare a second main against Sheik/Fox/Sonic if you're really bent on winning. I'm gonna solo Shulk though regardless of the odds. He's probably upper mid-tier. At best, maybe low part of high tier. Top 25 sounds about right.

But WHATEVER, I'm gonna see if Shulk was changed a bit. I'm doubting it so far

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
*sigh* It may be the hype, but hell, I like roy's style more than shulk already.
Gonna spend quite a bit of time on him for now, but he definitely is one of my mains now.

Just cleared allstar and Classic mode on hardest... Abusing that neutral b to it's fullest with those master core forms start-up...

Anyways, I hope they let shulk untouched. Except maybe for framedata... #onecanhope

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Well, that was real quick. What happened?
Well, Roy was really fun, but Zelda's usmash got immensely buffed today to the point where it kills at fraudulent percents and it's ridiculously fun to use now, so here's a quick summary from the Zelda social:
So what I said about picking Roy up...yea then I realized Zelda has an actual usmash now OOPS BYE ROY

@ Roy
And not to mention, the more I played as him the more off he felt to me. You have to be aggressive and close to your opponent with Roy but I play really defensively so it was just a disaster LOL. So yea, don't really wanna devote the time if he clashes with my playstyle

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Well, Roy was really fun, but Zelda's usmash got immensely buffed today to the point where it kills at fraudulent percents and it's ridiculously fun to use now, so here's a quick summary from the Zelda social:

And not to mention, the more I played as him the more off he felt to me. You have to be aggressive and close to your opponent with Roy but I play really defensively so it was just a disaster LOL. So yea, don't really wanna devote the time if he clashes with my playstyle
Eh, fair enough.
Also, good news about zelda, happy to see her doing better. Still gonna be agressive with roy, so I guess it fits.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
He is so awesome at using him! Although still feels a bit unpro but awesome!
John Numbers is a Shulk/Wii Fit main??? He's actually pretty good @John12346

Calling it now, Miiverse will become a counterpick. A psychological counterpick.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
John Numbers is a Shulk/Wii Fit main??? He's actually pretty good @John12346

Calling it now, Miiverse will become a counterpick. A psychological counterpick.
Thanks for giving me his Smashboards profile!
And hey, he's the winner of Nintendo World Championships!

Top Bottom