• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Activate Monado is a Talent Art, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I could be wrong thought. I'm sure at least once I've stupidly tried to use Warn Shulk fresh off a Monado Speed or something, and the best I can do is Battle Soul and hope for the best, of Break and try to Topple.

The AI is generally good with Break->Topple->Daze(->Instant Kill if Sharla's got Head Shot), I find any and all complaints on that particular chain are because the AI has cooldown too and people don't realise.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Although I believe Shulk has a skill in which he will instantly regain all of his Talent Gauge if you see a vision, so that's really helpful.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Welp I finally got Xenoblade Chronicles today. I guess I'll see myself if Melia's AI is worth moaning about.

Both Shulk and Melia AI are bad. The latter being like.... really REALLY bad

It's good though if you want to deliberately make the game hard mode though!

D

Deleted member

I always controlled Shulk and never had the AI control him because I thought that the AI wouldn't handle Monado Arts usage properly.
When I saw videos of how bad his AI was, my thoughts were confirmed.

As much as I'd like to change it, it'd seem like I'm already HEAVILY influenced by the "sass." Although I am at this point, I don't want everyone to follow my foot steps and go to the Zelda social. I don't hate the thread at all. I just don't want to be accused of the loss of activity of the Shulk boards

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Melia's AI "works", but it's mainly that she's probably only achieving maybe 20% tops of her potential DPS, and it's like, why bother when you could just put someone worthwhile in your party.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Melia's AI "works", but it's mainly that she's probably only achieving maybe 20% tops of her potential DPS, and it's like, why bother when you could just put someone worthwhile in your party.
This. It's not bad. It's just not optimal. This makes people think it's bad.

idk where your AI Melia running off of cliffs stories come from but that's never happened to me.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's probably a general AI flaw that unfortunately happened to Melia. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've had AI run off the cliffs in the area before Colony 9.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I've had the AI get knocked off the cliff, but then respawn back in the battle with minimal hp, so running off cliffs doesn't seem like that much of a problem. The battles where your other party members really matter, like unique monsters or bosses, generally don't have cliffs to fall off.
Also, on the topic of AI characters not doing well and Shulk using a Monado Art right before a vision occurs, warning a party member about a vision automatically fills the talent gauge at the cost of 1/3 of the party gauge, just in case of the AI using speed or buster when you need something like shield or purge.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I've not even had the AI walk off the super-thin walkways into the ether in Galahad Fortress (mid-battle, anyway), so I guess it's just a bit of bad luck with the cliffs. I even think there's a few of those ether-cylinder-arm Mechon (that can blast you through the air) and a Unique Monster there.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
My opinions about Xenoblade AI:

Shulk:
Is pretty good at dealing out damage and stuff. However, his Monado art usage is just wasteful. This is not so bad later in the game when, if you warn him, his talent gauge maxes out for you. You still need to waste a party gauge bar in that instance :(.

Reyn: Could be better at getting aggro, but he usually suffices. The issue is he does not know how to use guard shift correctly. He only activates it when he's at low HP, and does not activate anchor chain (maintains aggro) beforehand. So, he loses his aggro. Then, he dos not deactivate guard shift? He's just stuck there doing nothing? Yep.

Sharla:
Ick. Bad AI. When a party member has a status condition, she waits forever before using cure bullet (when it's clearly active). Furthermore, when the entire party has a status, instead of using cure round, she will probably just cure bullet one person. When it comes to healing, she often heals the wrong person. If your tank is at low hp, and you have only taken a slight bit of damage, she is more likely to heal you than your tank, for some reason. It is annoying. Oh yeah, and she always lets her ether rifle fill ALL THE WAY before letting it cool off, so she often is not even available to assist. Seriously, if your team is relying on Sharla, I recommend controlling her if possible. You will be surprised at how much easier things become. Playing as Sharla is interesting, as you sort of become the commander, in a way.

Melia:
Summons elementals in seemingly random order, may do something with them, or not. I think her AI is more built for a support role than a DPS one, but I'm not sure if the AI is capable of knowing exactly what elementals to have summoned or not.

Riki:
If equipped with ether attacks, he will not use them often at all. He would rather auto attack. This makes it hard to have AI Riki tanking. He's also a little too happy to use You Can Do It, which is annoying when trying to have him avoid aggro. So, what do you do with him as AI?

No opinions about the AI of any other characters.

I usually like to control Riki or Sharla while tanking (btw this is late-game), and have Shulk and somebody else on the team. I tend to face enemies far above my level, and Riki and Sharla are both able to maintain aggro against such people. Sharla is actually a pretty good tank with correct gems, correct arts, and correct skill links. Heal Round and Cure Round both give her a lot of aggro, and from all enemies around her, so that's covered. So, anyways, if I get a vision I usually sacrifice a party bar to Shulk for the Monado Art. Uhhhhh yeah. The last person is usually just dps or something. **I don't topple spam :p** Indeed, I beat Avalanche Abaasy with no topples or chain attacks. I did that controlling Sharla, having Riki tank, and then Shulk doing damage and having visions (night vision gems for accuracy, of course).

I might also control Reyn if the opponent is within level. Ever tried offensive Reyn? It's a little fun to test out and see how high of damage you can get from a single sword drive paired with both Berserker aura and Magnum Charge (50k+). Offensive Reyn still has pretty good defense, too, so he can be tanking at the same time.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I wasn't aware people used Guard Shift. I tried it once and immediately wrote it off - Reyn has so many more useful tools.

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
AI tanks do not know anything about positioning.When it comes to certain bosses and fights, I would play as Reyn or Dunban as tank to avoid attracting aggro from surrounding monsters.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
AI tanks do not know anything about positioning.When it comes to certain bosses and fights, I would play as Reyn or Dunban as tank to avoid attracting aggro from surrounding monsters.
Yeah, or to have the enemy facing away from your allies so they are not hit by moves that hurt more than one person.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Its funny how one question leads to an intersting discussion.
So far I don't have too many thoughts about the AI. Mainly because I perfer Shulk's playstyle of working around the enemy while Reyn tanks.:p
Since I'm close to getting Sharla I'll use her and see Shulk's. But so far Reyn has been a decent tank. Sometimes I get aggro which sucks because Shulk's glass cannon.
I keep beating up small random creatures.
Edit: Shulk used buster on a almost dead wolf.:ohwell:

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I'm actually fond of challenging huge groups of enemies at a time. It's fun. Nice challenge and actually requires a bit more strategy. Plus I love my AoE attacks (Soaring Tempest, War Swing, Tantrum, Burninate, Gun Drones, Summon Flare... so good)

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'm actually fond of challenging huge groups of enemies at a time. It's fun. Nice challenge and actually requires a bit more strategy. Plus I love my AoE attacks (Soaring Tempest, War Swing, Tantrum, Burninate, Gun Drones, Summon Flare... so good)
Same here. I use Sharla as a tank for that. Like for instance, went into tephra cave with all those high level, 90+ spiders when only like lv 78, and was being attacked by idk 8+ of them at once or something. Was a lot of fun.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Same here. I use Sharla as a tank for that. Like for instance, went into tephra cave with all those high level, 90+ spiders when only like lv 78, and was being attacked by idk 8+ of them at once or something. Was a lot of fun.
You're an interesting one, using Sharla for a tank over Reyn, Dunban, Riki, or Seven. If you use Sharla as a tank, you have to control her, which means you can't have two of arguably the largest DPS characters (Shulk, Melia) without sacrificing efficiency.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
You're an interesting one, using Sharla for a tank over Reyn, Dunban, Riki, or Seven. If you use Sharla as a tank, you have to control her, which means you can't have two of arguably the largest DPS characters (Shulk, Melia) without sacrificing efficiency.
eh Shulk's AI isn't actually that bad for dps, I find. Though, admittedly, the dps could be better. However, for me, it's all about dealing more damage than they heal, while I maintain my own party's hp.

I don't know if it's just me but I usually (accidentally) keep Battle soul on Shulk so whenever I place him on AI when I want to play as Melia, his HP decreases out of no where in a fight and I'm like:

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
Without any spoilers, hows XCX look in comparison to the original, story wise or otherwise?

I made 2 major/moderate changes to 2 OP's. Neat.

Also, I will ignore everything Xenoblade X related. You have any spoilers to share, put it in a spoiler tag. Thanks

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Okay, I was just on Facebook, and I saw the Shulk page's post...did you guys seriously compile the Lovenado Chronicles?! Maker's balls, y'all are nuts. I love it.

And yeah, I'll be keeping an eye out for spoiler-free XCX reviews. Between Civ, Dragon Age (where else would I get a phrase like "Maker's balls"), and planning games of my own (might I mention how thrilled I am with Tumblr for having a masterpost of resources for that), my Xenoblade hype is currently a bit low, but I know myself...once it comes out in the States, the hype levels will rise. Knowing if it's good will help that.

Edit: also, y'all might appreciate this post from Tumblr. I think the person I reblogged it from is someone from this thread, no?

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
About Xenoblade X's final boss theme
It's the music they used in the E3 trailer. Seriously, what the ****?
It's not really spoilers out of context, and it does sound epic. Though hindsight is hilarious when you realise they show Junks being a ship, which is nothing compared to a destroyed Mechonis, Shulk wielding a Replica Monado, Zanza fighting Mechon-Fiora/Meyneth... I'm sure there's more. I had a laugh. Goes to show how much zero context can keep things spoiler-safe.
Okay, I was just on Facebook, and I saw the Shulk page's post...did you guys seriously compile the Lovenado Chronicles?! Maker's balls, y'all are nuts. I love it.

And yeah, I'll be keeping an eye out for spoiler-free XCX reviews. Between Civ, Dragon Age (where else would I get a phrase like "Maker's balls"), and planning games of my own (might I mention how thrilled I am with Tumblr for having a masterpost of resources for that), my Xenoblade hype is currently a bit low, but I know myself...once it comes out in the States, the hype levels will rise. Knowing if it's good will help that.

Edit: also, y'all might appreciate this post from Tumblr. I think the person I reblogged it from is someone from this thread, no?
Yeah, that continued on in the conversation you left. I'd saved a few links from the old Shulk thread, so the search was less random. It felt criminal not to share it, but it almost feels criminal to expose people to that :laugh:

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
It's not really spoilers out of context, and it does sound epic. Though hindsight is hilarious when you realise they show Junks being a ship, which is nothing compared to a destroyed Mechonis, Shulk wielding a Replica Monado, Zanza fighting Mechon-Fiora/Meyneth... I'm sure there's more. I had a laugh. Goes to show how much zero context can keep things spoiler-safe.

Yeah, that continued on in the conversation you left. I'd saved a few links from the old Shulk thread, so the search was less random. It felt criminal not to share it, but it almost feels criminal to expose people to that :laugh:
Well, we suffered through it, we should make others realize the pain, I suppose :p

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Yo Moose! What's up?
Not much. I know I disappeared for a while, I got busy doing other stuff. And now that I found some resources, I'll probably start working on making games of my own. Congrats on the Mod, by the way!

Top Bottom