• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Oh. That's cool! enjoy!

Also Vote for the default custom character from xenobladeX for smash! I think he would be cool since he could switch btween his or her gun and sword!
Elma is the main character for Xenoblade X, she kicks ass, takes names, and is more essential to X's story. She has a voice(in cutscenes), Cross doesn't. Also, she duel wields knives and guns. There's nothing you can do that can best that. Even more so, Elma can use backslash and slit edge.
Stepping back a tiny bit, I'm surprised quite a few people prefer the name Doll of Skell. I honestly think Dolls are a stupid name for them. These are giant, world exploring mechs that serve as the humans' greatest weapon yet are named after a young girl's toy? Skell is a clearly a play on the word "skeleton", showing how they serve as robotic exoskeletons for the humans. It makes infinitely more sense.
I believe it's more of a thing that takes getting used to. We've been referring to the mechs as dolls for well over a year now. It's just weird. I prefer Skells overall, but it did take some getting used to with the treehouse footage. I would have preferred anther name however. Skell doesn't roll off the tongue very well.
I would have preferred if Dolls were named something like Calics; A play off the world Calyx in Latin, meaning Shell.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Stepping back a tiny bit, I'm surprised quite a few people prefer the name Doll of Skell. I honestly think Dolls are a stupid name for them. These are giant, world exploring mechs that serve as the humans' greatest weapon yet are named after a young girl's toy? Skell is a clearly a play on the word "skeleton", showing how they serve as robotic exoskeletons for the humans. It makes infinitely more sense.
You know, that's exactly what I said.

D

Deleted member

I hate to say this, but I need a break from maining Shulk.
I... I just have been very discouraged with him nowadays.
The reason why is because I haven't seen major improvement with my Shulk and I have been improving with my other characters (including Luigi, who I didn't think I could improve upon), I think that Shulk has some frustrating weaknesses (I get easily combo'd by Luigis and Marios and the end lag doesn't help), some of my recent outings with him were terrible (I sometimes get the wrong Monado Art or accidentally Back Slash or Shulk doing his animation where he is announcing his Monado Art, costing me a heavy amount of damage and even matches), and I just feel overwhelmed and discouraged by MALLC (a necessary technique that I can't do no matter how hard I try and practice).
I really love Shulk, Xenoblade Chronicles, his gameplay style, and the Monado Arts. But for now, I will just have him as a secondary as I'll need him against Rosalina and potentially Little Mac and I am going to start maining Robin.
I might promote him to main status again, but I really need to impress myself with him first.
I'm... sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The reason why is because I haven't seen major improvement with my Shulk and I have been improving with my other characters (including Luigi, who I didn't think I could improve upon), I think that Shulk has some frustrating weaknesses (I get easily combo'd by Luigis and Marios and the end lag doesn't help), some of my recent outings with him were terrible (I sometimes get the wrong Monado Art or accidentally Back Slash or Shulk doing his animation where he is announcing his Monado Art, costing me a heavy amount of damage and even matches), and I just feel overwhelmed and discouraged by MALLC (a necessary technique that I can't do no matter how hard I try and practice).
I really love Shulk, Xenoblade Chronicles, his gameplay style, and the Monado Arts. But for now, I will just have him as a secondary as I'll need him against Rosalina and potentially Little Mac and I am going to start maining Robin.
I might promote him to main status again, but I really need to impress myself with him first.
I'm... sorry...
No biggie, everyone has one of these moments, I literally don't improve at all with anythong

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I WISH FOR A WORLD...
WITH NO MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unfortunately for you @ Neo Zero Neo Zero will still be around
I'm... sorry...
Don't worry about it! I get the wrong Monado Art a lot as well, the trick is to get used to just mashing B three times if you get the wrong one.

MALLC is hard to get used to, I can't pull it off in-game either. Keep on practicing and experimenting!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Hi I am new to the shulk threads. I do not main shulk I main the amazing Link! But I do secondary Him with robin! I have beat Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii and I give it 13 out of 10. great story amazing music good voice acting and unique gameplay!
Indeed, it is an amazing game. :) Are you looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X? By the way, I'm urging you to not search for any information relating to the game if you do not wish to be spoiled. The game is due to release in Japan this week, but some people already have the game and have been posting spoilers online.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
The only MALLC I get consistently is Jump.
I actually have opposite problems. I use Shulk way too much compaired to my Kirby or Pikachu that thier beginning to become rusty. I realize this after getting my butt kick on Smashladder by Fox and such. Maining Pikachu is becoming more necessary if I want to have a chance in a real tournament.
Pikachu is a nice help for bad MU's. I've been using Pika since the melee ages. Plus I'm a huge pokemon fan. I suppose I'll go over to check Pikaboards for any helpful threads.
I'm probably going to pocket Shulk for a bit.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I should really learn to MALLC one of these days. What do you guys usually do before the cancel? Bair and fair I'm guessing?

Fun fact, if the game music is godlike enough, I will buy the game (Xenoblade and Bravely Default)
Entirely the reason I first picked up BlazBlue. Took a while for me to like the game itself, but when I did, I got hopelessly addicted. Hazama is best villain

Oh and a heads up

I'll be off to Europe at May 15. I'll be away from Smashboards for... 3 weeks? So yeah
Awesome, have fun!
I'd make the "Create a thread with no need for mods" joke but I was too slow :4sonic:

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I should really learn to MALLC one of these days. What do you guys usually do before the cancel? Bair and fair I'm guessing?

Entirely the reason I first picked up BlazBlue. Took a while for me to like the game itself, but when I did, I got hopelessly addicted. Hazama is best villain

Awesome, have fun!
I'd make the "Create a thread with no need for mods" joke but I was too slow :4sonic:
BlazBlue is mentioned, but no Bang?
I guess I should do the job then.
Bang.

Also, have fun my dear profile picture sister!
Till may 15!

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
If we're talking Blazblue, I should mention that I'm the only person that likes this theme.
Oh and Makoto forever! **** CELICA!

Last edited:

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU @ LordTakeo LordTakeo @ swordsman09 swordsman09
I like Active angel platinum the trinity's theme, cactus garden Taos theme, alexandrite ii makoto's theme, spirit of fire, Bang! Bang! Big Bang! Bang's manly other theme, queen of rose is great Rachel's theme is great too! Busim dancing God also! Do you play guilty gear cause that has God music and same compare too! I like marionette elphlet valetine's theme is great!

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I like Active angel platinum the trinity's theme, cactus garden Taos theme, alexandrite ii makoto's theme, spirit of fire, Bang! Bang! Big Bang! Bang's manly other theme, queen of rose is great Rachel's theme is great too! Busim dancing God also! Do you play guilty gear cause that has God music and same compare too! I like marionette elphlet valetine's theme is great!
I know guilty gear, I watch Maximillian dood playing it, but... sadly don't play it myself.
Still awesome music.

Also, you got bonus points for having my 2nd favourite manga as Profile.

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I play Leo. I'd say Sin's theme is my fsvorite though.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
To mention Bang - I was at a party recently where people were playing a card game called "Bang!". At one point someone near me said "Bang Bang-Bang Baaaang, burning tamashī" and it sadly wasn't until a few hours later that I'd realised what he'd said. Sneaky reference, I'm apparently making some really good gamer friends lately.

If we're talking Blazblue, I should mention that I'm the only person that likes this theme.
Oh and Makoto forever! **** CELICA!
I miss the slap bass intro of the original, but this one's really cool too - I do like the hammering sound, it plays on the 'mechanical' thing.

I've heard bits of Guilty Gear's music. Had to laugh when I realised part of Lust Sin comes from Holy Orders. I picked up the Wii version of the game but barely touched it. A.B.A and Dizzy are the ones I very briefly tried to learn. And Zappa, because his animations are hilarious, even his standing one. Playing as a possessed guy... I've certainly not seen this in a fighter before.

I didn't play much of Chrono Phantasma because I wanted to wait for a physical release of the game in my region - didn't happen, so I caved in and imported... and then they announced CP Extend. So I got kind of annoyed at Arc System Works and partly as a result, I haven't played it much. Musically though, just as good at the rest of the series. Some of it's better than CT/CS, some of it's worse, but overall the series' music is still better than pretty much all mainstream music. BlazBlue's music seriously rivals Xenoblade for my favourite OST.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
[collapse=]Why is it such a pain to get the items needed for Colony 6 restoration?

Frontier Village and Eryth Sea have such good music but they're both so annoying to navigate...
Some Landmarks are right next to each other yet there are giant gaps of space without any Landmarks, why?

So far I'm up to slippy slidey ice land but I'm backtracking again for quests and such.
[/collapse]

Shulk has pretty much turned into my go-to character in Smash over Ness now.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Why is it such a pain to get the items needed for Colony 6 restoration?
LOL we all have these problems

I think I was looking for Dark Grapes for like 3 hours

And that was only level 1...

Sometimes I accidentally do nair and slap myself because that has so little landing lag it's negligible

Which arts are easiest for you guys to MALLC? I can do jump --> Jump Art, jump --> double jump --> Buster, short hop --> double jump --> Shield, and occasionally jump --> Speed

only if it's like in Training mode though

RIP

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Sometimes I accidentally do nair and slap myself because that has so little landing lag it's negligible

Which arts are easiest for you guys to MALLC? I can do jump --> Jump Art, jump --> double jump --> Buster, short hop --> double jump --> Shield, and occasionally jump --> Speed

only if it's like in Training mode though

RIP
I have the muscle memory for RAR Bair MALLC down really well. Buster is probably my best art to MALLC to, in general. Smash can be hard for me to MALLC into due to 5 presses. Everything else isn't an issue.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I have the muscle memory for RAR Bair MALLC down really well. Buster is probably my best art to MALLC to, in general. Smash can be hard for me to MALLC into due to 5 presses. Everything else isn't an issue.
Yeah, i saw your replay that you sent me on fighting this one Lucario (i think it was Lucario, not entirely sure) and how you did Buster MALLC with F-air into a F-Smash, it was cool. I need to keep working at it, MALLC is super useful with B-air.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman

RIP
For me it will always be the Ice Cabbages. I can handle Rainbow Slugs, Unique Monsters, and whatever else I have to do to fix that place, but if you ask me for 2 Ice Cabbages, I will cry. A good hour or 2 will go just to that.

Frontier Village and Alcamoth are starting to get on my nerves. Finding all the NPCs there took me ages on my first playthough.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Interesting tidbit about the length of the main story and sidequests.
Yeah. I saw that as well. Gives me mixed feelings to be honest. I liked the long story of Xenoblade personally and didn't really mind the quests all that much. But with all the content they've added, I can see why Monolith might have wanted to shorten the main story.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Yeah. I saw that as well. Gives me mixed feelings to be honest. I liked the long story of Xenoblade personally and didn't really mind the quests all that much. But with all the content they've added, I can see why Monolith might have wanted to shorten the main story.
It doesn't sound like it's considerably much shorter though, due to the "maybe" in the quote. They did mention that sidequests will have more depth (which sounds perfect for fans of Majora's Mask).

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I like that from a design perspective. It lets people who are just interested in the story power through and actually get to the end, and for us completionists we have a ton of extra stuff to do.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
For me it will always be the Ice Cabbages. I can handle Rainbow Slugs, Unique Monsters, and whatever else I have to do to fix that place, but if you ask me for 2 Ice Cabbages, I will cry. A good hour or 2 will go just to that.

Frontier Village and Alcamoth are starting to get on my nerves. Finding all the NPCs there took me ages on my first playthough.
Bitter Kiwi... is my nightmare. Especially since it's for a quest that has a good and bad ending. If you find the collectibles for the bad ending first, it forces you into that ending.

Just watch. Lol
That Jump usage is inspiring. Those techs off Yoshi's fair, too.

Last edited:

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
That survivablity was amazing ;D
This is my issue with Shulk though recently he has the frame data and set ups of a low tier his monados just keep him safer then the low tiers most of the time even in a win you take a lot more damage then you deal.

His frame data is the uncontested worst in the game. Well, frame speed being the right term. His main issue is that, and well he's combo meat in 4 stances (vanilla, buster, jump). The arts do some serious changes which helps him in staying away from low tier territory. Jump art is amazing to switch to once you're at a disadvantage it's your best bet in escaping juggles and recovering. It's also (imo) Shulk's best art because one n-air can easily confirm into a KO, and you can go deep and edgeguard any character easily. Speed art basically has no disadvantages, and it solidifies Shulk's neutral. Shield does its job well, stock tank. Buster art is basically the go-to art for spacing but you need to be really precise with your spacing. Smash art is read based, and it's probably the riskiest art to use.

Basically, you're not suppose to play him aggressively in the first place. You should mostly stay at mid-range. Charge in when it's safe with n-air or dash grab. Or pivot grab. You have range, exploit your generally insane disjoint. Don't go close-range because that's not what you're meant to do with Shulk. Lmao. Shulk thrives at mid-range and spacing and his reward from being at an advantageous state is insane. His arts also do a fine job in fixing his supposed weaknesses (except frame data and lag).

Lastly, we got MALLC because let's face it, they can't patch MALLC out. They're going to have to mess with the IASA frames which may break the character if trifled with. We still need to put that **** in our metagame. 9B has proved to us that we can't make johns for forcing the tech down our own throats.

His moveset (bar lol back slash and dash attack) is ultra solid. All his attacks are useful, even u-air actually. I thought u-throw was bad at first but the set ups from u-throw are rather interesting and it even varies depending on which art you're using

I should also mention, people have a relatively high/positive opinion on Shulk despite lack of representation because basically, a character with that much general range and mobility in jump or speed is utterly insane. I feel like buster is criminally underrated but it's hard to ignore the safety of speed or the stylish combos of jump. He's usually seen as top 20 or top 25 (upper mid tier to lower portion of high tier). At best, some people place him at top 15 (middle of high tier) which I question sometimes

His Monado arts' rewards are insane. You're at 150% and your opponent is at 70%. You still manage to kill them and win. BUT HOW? Shield mode and more importantly, exploiting rage. If you're opponent is smart, he'd camp shield out but that allows you to set the match to your pace, and it also gives your arts more time to come off cooldown

I very much doubt that anyone here actually truly mastered Shulk even at this point. I still feel like we haven't done enough to release his potential. Despite my impressions on Smash and shield (although I like shield now), I still feel like they actually have some hidden uses that are yet to be discovered. That, and we really need to use MALLC more.

So yeah. NOODLES. My impressions of Shulk. Hard to master, makes you question why you'd do this much for a character to be viable, every single action requires precision (decision making, art choosing, art management and spacing). Honestly from a far view, Shulk looks low tier. Well, in actuality, I don't even know anyone that outright called Shulk a bad character, which is weird because the frame data should be a turn off.

I guess we should be glad that this community doesn't end character judgement on solely frame data huh? :p

Oh and the player in the video was actually one of the best Diddys in Brawl (won MLG Dallas). He got 9th place out of 137 entrants in the tournament. He is slowly rising back....

Just imagine if we had half decent frame data lol.
His frame data was gimped for a reason :awesome:

If our frame data was at least decent or even subpar, Shulk would be borderline nuts. I remember asking non-Shulk mains, "Yo how does frame 11 f-air sound like for Shulk?"

They told me, "no plz"

lol

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I for one would welcome out new God tier overlord. Maybe our boy Lucas can hook us up, psychic to psychic-ish when his patch is out.

Lol Xenoblade joke

If Lucas is unchanged though, I'm not expecting so much

Reason why Ness is so ridiculous is solely because his b-throw is full of skill. Without it, he'd drop like 20 spots or something.

Top Bottom