• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shuffle IV (11/9/13) - Results

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to everybody who came out! There were 108 total entrants, a fantastic turnout and much higher than we expected. Hope you all had a good time! If you would like your character listed next to your name, please PM me! Here are the results.

For the Melee Singles and Brawl Singles events, any results listed but not shown on the bracket were a result of settlements among the players - these were necessary due to the venue closing before the event could properly conclude. Everything shown on the bracket were the results of actual matches.

Melee Doubles (21 teams)
1: Raising Kanes (Prince Abu + Hanky Panky)
2: IceClimbing Duo (Chudat + Trail)
3: Just Hold on We're Going Home (Drephen + Big R)
4: Penguin Plays Jenga (Mathos + Watty)
5: Corkscrew (Fizzle + Corkus)
5: Greg Winchester and the Heartbreakers (Greg Winchester + Michael Germon)
7: Quest 64 Wasn't That Bad of a Game...Seriously (Kell + Overswarm)
7: Paradigm + Achilles
9: Run DYT (Mudkyp + Shenanigans)
9: TM + Trip
9: We Don't Have One (Broverdose + Gunpunch)
9: Cocaine Cowboys (Juke + Jiano)
13: Dream + Leon
13: Tony & Jay
13: Trashboat (Dr. X + Tako)
13: Dan Comboz + Hatz
17: Goons (Ola + Lagoon)
17: Unstoppable (Isaac + Matt)
17: AtomicN + Clef
17: I Don't Have Anything (Freziefool + Izze)
17: Dead + L7

Brawl Doubles (17 teams)
1: Zinoto + WTP
2: LOE1 +Stewy Ian
3: H8dat (Chudat + H8pad)
4: Blue Rogue and Suyon
5: Coach K's Finest (Ogie + Twigg)
5: Hair to the Throne (Tako + Fizzle)
7: Ralph Cecil (Austin Mitchell + Kryp)
7: Waft (Ksev + Soulpech)
9: Penthouse (Vincent + Joshua)
9: Quest 64 Wasn't That Bad of a Game...Seriously (Kell + Overswarm)
9: B-Boy and Aura
9: Anubis (Qd + Dr. X)
13: Mom's Spaghetti (Shenanigans + Alfa Stryke)
13: Karaoke Man + Friend(Kassandra)
13: Cott and Ick
13: Country (ShadowThePast + Hael Phael)
17: ES (Habsol + Rizner)

Project M Singles (32 entrants)
1: Chudat
2: Overswarm
3: 1der
4: Hanky Panky
5: LOE1
5: Fizzle
7: Soulpech
7: DBSammy
9: Zinoto
9: DRB | Juushichi
9: Hatz
9: Sneaky Tako
13: Suyon
13: Shenanigans
13: Krass
13: Prince Abu
17: Fumbles
17: Broverdose
17: Emmy
17: SkollBaldr
17: Dan Comboz
17: Cheato
17: Dr. X
17: Mudkyp
25: Ralph Cecil
25: Reed
25: Mints
25: Lunalang
25: Janty5565
25: Alfa Stryke
25: Rizner
25: Jacob

Melee Singles (49 entrants)
1: Prince Abu :foxmelee:
2: Chudat : :icsmelee:/:pikachumelee:
2: Hanky Panky
4: Drephen
5: Jiano
5: 1der
7: Mathos
7: Paradigm
9: Corkus
9: Fizzle
9: Greg Winchester
9: Juke
13: Gunpunch
13: Achilles
13: Kell
13: TM
17: Shenanigans
17: Broverdose
17: Booker
17: FerrisWheel32
17: Fumbles
17: Janty5565
17: Overswarm
25: Kassandra
25: Lagoon
25: Jay
25: Karinole
25: L7
25: DBSamming
25: DerfMW
25: Karaoke Man
33: Walled
33: Loki
33: Top Cat
33: Mudkyp
33: Clef
33: Watty
33: Izze
33: Cheato
33: Ag squiggle
33: Ogie
33: Phi
33: SkollBaldr
33: Jiffy
33: GBFN
33: Indel
33: Turcel
49: Glad Moose

1: Zinoto :diddy:
2: LOE1 :wario:
3: Chudat :kirby2:
3: Fizzle :dedede:
5: WTP :dedede: :falco:
5: Kell :marth: :metaknight:
7: Ksev :snake:
7: Blue Rogue :wario:
9: Sneaky Tako :rob: :dedede:
9: Kryp :pit:
9: Ralph Cecil :snake:
9: Suyon :pit:
13: Karaoke Man :mario2: :ganondorf: :fox: :yoshi2: :bowser2:
13: Stewy Ian :popo: :metaknight:
13: Kassandra :peach: :metaknight:
13: Soulpech :jigglypuff: :wario:
17: Overswarm :metaknight:
17: Ogie :pit: :metaknight:
17: Rizner
17: Lokii :zerosuitsamus:
17: ShadowThePast :wolf: :metaknight:
17: Taj :sonic:
17: Aura :lucario:
17: DBSamming :luigi2:
25: QD :lucario:
25: Katakiri :pit: :pt:
25: Hael Phael :pikachu2: :rob:
25: Krohnic :wolf:
25: Thekiest :dedede:
25: Ag squiggle
25: Ola :toonlink: :snake:
25: B-Boy :diddy:
33: Markus E-bear
33: Monochrome
33: Lero
33: Jiffy :ness2::wario:
33: Sye :falcon:
33: Josh
33: Matthew
33: Cam :mario2: :dk2:
33: Logan
33: Tomo
33: Sails
33: Twigg :dk2:
33: Ick
33: Habsol :sheik:
33: Win
33: Indel :kirby2:
49: SuperSonic68
49: Lunalang :lucario:
49: Cott
49: Ketos

LOE1

Smash Lord
LOE1's Legendary Shoutout's!

1: Zinoto :diddy: - One day zinoto, one day, I shall learn how to beat you. I think i'll truly show what I can do at PS6, but until then, enjoy your wins against me while you can :). Also, fun carpooling with you :).
2: LOE1 :wario: - needs more time outs.
3: Chudat - Fun set, I really love the Kirby matchup. Wifi gave me a lot of practice with that, but your Kirby is still beast. Hope to see you more man.
3: Fizzle - i'm so glad I didn't play you honestly, I think you woulda beat me if you went dedede. I'll talk about your grime later on in this post though...
5: WTP - Well, ksev should be in this spot lol, just sayin. anyways, fun seeing you again. im still waiting for the day you stop sandbagging.
5: Kell - didn't get to play you this time, but nice job on 5th. I really wanna play ya again since PS5.
7: Ksev - yooo you were so close to beating zinoto, I was so nervous lol. next time you got him though, and thanks for driving MI here!
7: Blue Rogue - the other wario in the MW. fun set in dubz, and I hope to play you in singles eventually.
9: Sneaky Tako - YOOOO THAT SET MAN. I guess I kinda learned the ROB mu, but I think ur dedede got better vs me lol. like WTP said, I think you kinda laid back since I sd'd 3rd game, whilei went super tryhard mode. You almost gave me a heart attack man lol. hypest set ever. also, **** dedede.
9: Kryp - yoooo nice job beating stewy, that's a good win for ya. hope to see you more often!
9: Ralph Cecil - are we ever going to play? I wanna see how good ur snake is lol. also, shoutouts to your lemonade-ice tea.
9: Suyon - good set in doubles, and I hope to play ya! just dontbe too mad if I camp you like the last time we played...:denzel:
13: Karaoke Man - mike! it was nice seeing you again, your a real fun person to hang around with. are ya ever going to use Yoshi a whole tourney again ever tho? and **** bowser too...
13: Stewy Ian - Pit man, we got none of em in MI, and I know ic would suck vs him. Just don't get discouraged. also, fun teaming with you even though I carried yo ass.
13: Kassandra- fun doubles friendlies before the tourney. I see you're not much into brawl anymore, but you should still come to tournies and meet some people and have a good time :).
13: Soulpech - yooo dat dubz set though. for months out of practice, you were doing well. now please practice brawl again :)
17: Overswarm - I was actually scared I was going to lose that set lol, **** warioware. it was fun talking to you though, hope to see you again!
17: Lokii - Finally got to talk to you lol, really cool person here :p. Don't forget about them Katarina posters for me though :)
17: Taj - your mk is actually pretty darn good, it had me surprised in doubles. I thing in losers finals me and my partner just had a better understanding of you guys. hope to see you more!
17: DBSamming - yooo nice luigi you have there, its nice to see ya main him in every game lol, keep it up!
25: QD - fun talking to you as always, just keep practicing and you'll keep improving.
25: Hael Phael - fun talking to you man, but don't go telling eric my tactics :).

Alright, now that shoutouts are finally over, let me tell you guys the story of the top 4....
So after I lost winners finals to zinoto, the venue had to close, and all the set ups were being takin away, with top 4 never being able to finish their sets. Zinoto and I wanted to just go how the bracket had it, him 1st, me 2nd, chu 3rd, and fizzle 4th. However, being the grimers they are, fizzle and chu wanted to keep going on with the bracket. A whole bunch of suggestions were made, trying to split everything one way or another. But then fizzle found out that he would be getting like $50 for 4th place, then he became semi cooperative and agree'd to forfeit for 4th place...with an extra $5 from stewy. So that took care of fizzle, but we still had chu to deal with. Now that fizzle was gone, he still wanted to play me in losers finals. Michigan just wanted to go home since it was so late. Chu said he would be fine if me and him split the money for 2nd/3rd, but I didn't want that, i'd rather just go across the street and finish the set. Then we have good guy zinoto over here, saying he will give %5 if his winnings to chu if he took 3rd. after some debating, he accepted. So it went zinoto 45% me 25% chu 20% and fizzle 10%. All ended well with that situation, and that's the story of the top 4 crisis.

Now for ending shoutouts.
Shoutouts to being one of my, if not the, funnest tournies ive been to, even though it ran a little late(may or may not been because of me :denzel:).
Shoutouts to rock paper scissors the OS way.
Shoutouts to having a good time in PM and getting 5th...even though I don't own the game lol.
Shoutouts to lokii and her awesome league of legends pictures.
Shoutouts to tako making go as tryhard as I ever been.
Shoutouts to free pizza and drinks, I will love the venue forever because of that lol.
Shoutouts to me getting completely destroyed by zinoto..once again.
Shoutouts to chu coming to this tourney.
And finally, shoutouts to top4 grime

Next time you guys make a tourney, I will be there. I loved this experience overall!

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Brawl Singles (52 entrants)
1: Zinoto :diddy:
3: Chudat :kirby2:
3: Fizzle :dedede:
5: WTP :dedede: :falco:
5: Kell :marth: :metaknight:
9: Kryp :pit:
13: Stewy Ian :popo: :metaknight:
13: Kassandra :peach: :metaknight:
13: Soulpech :jigglypuff: :wario:
17: Overswarm :metaknight:
17: Ogie :pit: :metaknight:
17: Rizner
17: Lokii :zerosuitsamus:
17: ShadowThePast :wolf: :metaknight:
17: Taj :sonic:
17: Aura :lucario:
17: DBSamming :luigi2:
25: QD :lucario:
25: Katakiri :pit: :pt:
25: Hael Phael :pikachu2: :rob:
25: Krohnic
25: Thekiest :dedede:
25: Ola :toonlink: :snake:
25: B-Boy
33: Markus E-bear
33: Monochrome
33: Lero
33: Jiffy :ness2::wario:
33: Sye :falcon:
33: Josh
33: Matthew
33: Cam :mario2: :dk2:
33: Logan
33: Tomo
33: Sails
33: Twigg :dk2:
33: Ick
33: Habsol :sheik:
33: Win
33: Indel :kirby2:
49: SuperSonic68
49: Cott
49: Ketos

Got as many as I can possibly remember. I will try my absolutely hardest to remember to do shoutouts tomorrow.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
rizner - kirby
monochrome - marth

thats all I can add as far as characters.

Fun tournament! but I'm disappointed with myself for not placing top 13 as I was aiming to. ggs to everyone I played and shoutouts to Dr. X for teaming with me at the last second!

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
1: Zinoto :diddy:- Ggs in the doubles set. Pretty sure I only got like 36% on you while you took away two of my stocks lol. Looking forward to having you destroy me in a singles set ;)
2: LOE1 :wario: - Didn't get to play, but I laughed my ass off when I saw Warioware on stream lol. Edit: Wait we did play LOL, but yeah gg's in friendlies.
3: Chudat :kirby2: - Fun doubles friendlies, Kirby too stronk
3: Fizzle :dedede: - Gg's in bracket. Even if my controller hadn't been drifting you still would've bopped me so I'm not salty about that lol. Hope to see you again sometime.
7: Ksev :snake: - Couldn't tell if you were sandbagging in friendlies lol but fun nonetheless.
7: Blue Rogue :wario: - I should've banned Frigate I should've banned Frigate I should've banned Frigate lol. I sorta panicked when I heard a tiny crowd forming behind us and felt like I had to pick my ban immediately, but no johns lol. Good games, hope to play you again sometime :)
9: Kryp :pit: - Had fun in friendlies lol, that really relieved some of my stress at the time.
9: Ralph Cecil :snake: - yo you're so free how did you get higher than me
13: Karaoke Man :mario2: :ganondorf: :fox: :yoshi2: :bowser2: - Had fun in friendlies lol after seeing your Bowser I'm even more scared of your Yoshi.
13: Soulpech :jigglypuff: :wario: - Dair too stronk
17: Ogie :pit: :metaknight: - Enjoyed talking to you
17: Aura :lucario: - Ggs in friendlies (we did friendly right? LOL worst memory)
17: DBSamming :luigi2: - Good to see you there, wanted to play you lol, next time
25: QD :lucario: - Did we friendly? Ugh I'm so bad
25: Katakiri :pit: :pt: - Dude your Charizard is pretty legit lol. Hope I get to play you in bracket sometime.
25: Hael Phael :pikachu2: :rob: - Thanks for teaming with me fgt
25: Thekiest :dedede: - Ggs in bracket, that last kill was totally unexpected lol
25: Ag squiggle - Yo gg's in friendlies, sad face for no guitar hero money match
25: Ola :toonlink: :snake: - I think we friendlied? I went Marth or something lol, if so ggs.
33: Sye :falcon: - Did you play against Kass? Your Falcon seemed pretty legit lol
33: Twig :wario: - Wtf you don't play DK lol. Anyway enjoyed talking with you, maybe we can team sometime? :)
33: Ick :link2: :dk2: - Ggs in friendlies and in bracket. I've played a lot of wifi Links so I kinda knew all of Link's tricks you could do lol. But your DK is pretty scary, I almost lost that 2nd game when I almost got hit airdodging into an Fsmash. Hope to see you come out again.
33: Absol :sheik: - That horrible name typo lol. Your Shiek is pretty legit, you've definitely got what you need to become a notable player, just get out to tournaments and get some experience :)
49: SuperSonic68 :toonlink: - Nice meeting you at the beginning, hope to see you come out again sometime, and ggs in friendlies
49: Ketos :snake: - Shoutouts to entering last minute :denzel:

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Here's my shoutouts.

Juushichi: Thanks for running the P:M bracket. You did a pretty good job as usual from what I've seen.

SP: Thanks for your minor advice while I was feeling blue. I needed to get re-motivated.

Overswarn: GGs in our money match. Your BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH-BOWSA! is BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH-BADASS!

Shenanigans: Great to see you here. Thanks for the Pikachu & Bowser experience you've given me in P:M before. It worked out.

LOE1: GGs in our P:M Wario money match. Let's raises the stakes further next time. You're holding back on that ironically. lol.

Tako: Same as LOE1. P:M Wario is so damn fun.

ChuDat: GGs in our P:M friendlies. Although you beat me in them, I think I know what I have to do again your Pikachu now. The next time we meet, my Wario's gonna like a bonus boss to OS' Bowser's final boss.

Hael Pheal: Sorry I wasn't able to Brawl you so you could chaingrab me to death. I was much more focused on P:M than usual.

KassandraNova: Nice to see you again, fave. Too bad you don't like P:M, though, but I'll make sure to Brawl you next time. I don't wanna stop playing Brawl, yet.

QD: GGs in the small amount of Brawl friendlies we had. Your Lucario has gotten better since the last time we've faced. Also, nice to see you again in general.

MX: GGs in our Brawl friendlies, rival. I didn't know you had such a good Mario. Great to see you again, too.

Zinoto: I heard that you got some TIO work done on some of the brackets. Great job. You would've likely beaten me again in P:M if I was in the bracket.

Alfa: Thanks for taking me home despite my painfully short notice. I appreciate it and I'll let you know earlier if I need a ride home next time.

Dominos: For all of that pizza at the venue.

My job: For making me miss every single main event I wanted to get into. -_-

---

I wish I could hang out with some of you more if I don't do that already. If I missed anyone, sorry about that. I gotta get to know you and your characters better.

Columbus needs more tourneys like this, even if it means we can't always use the union for venue for some strange reason. I'm gonna be badly starving for tourneys if I can't reconfigure my schedule or I get a lucky Saturday off, but at least I could make it to the venue this time and have a good time, anyway.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Fun tournament, despite the bugs that occurred
glad i was able to actually sell some art. yay rent money
i need to start playing this game more again....forgot how fun tournaments were

shoutouts later. sleep time!

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Fun tourney, I actually had a lot of fun commentating for the first time. I'll make sure to work on it for the next time. Thanks Kiest for the pointers and just general good conversation.
Happy to see a alot of excitment for this event and people showing up to it. I should be able to make more tournies again going forward so I definitely have to shake off the rust.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Ehhhh... I couldn't figure out what to do while every one was busy in a tourney.

You told me to look for friendlies, so that's what I did. Nothing big.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Scumbag Chu. I wonder if you actually made more money here than if you got 3th at all events in Pound.

Kryp

Smash Apprentice
Ggs to everyone I played! I had a lot of fun at this tourney and definitely look forward to the next event. :D

mathos

Smash Champion
Although very draining it was fun to see a lot of old players and good to meet some new blood. The tech skill floor has been raised since I was last around.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
what the hell. cincy comes and no one hits me up? i didnt even know this was going on. haha
It was mentioned both in the Columbus thread here on Smashboards and on Facebook in the Columbus PM/Brawl group you're a part of multiple times.

I'll post shoutouts sooner or later, I guess.

New Columbus (or Cincinnati... or Pittsburgh) people, if you have Facebook and are interested in seeing what's going on in Columbus for Brawl (kinda) and definitely Project M, ask to join the Columbus PM and Brawl Facebook Group. Otherwise, please pop into the Columbus, Ohio Social and Smashfest Thread here on Smashboards.

Colten (SoulPech) and Chonce (me) generally update what we're doing in the group, what events we're going to, what smashfests are being hosted... and currently, travel plans for APEX 2014. Please, please, please communicate with us, as this will make things 1 million times easier in the future.

Not to neglect those of you who enjoy Melee. For that, please join the OSU Melee Facebook Group and talk to Abhi (Prince Abu) and Tyler (HankyPanky).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Project M Singles (32 entrants)
1: Chudat

Good to see you've still got it! :D

Was a lot of fun playing you. I only play PM with Dr.X and my little brother every once in a while, but sets like that make me wish just a little bit that I keep up with smash. Sloppy mistakes like SDs and missed L-cancels (with Bowser, WTF) abound, but still a really good set and was the first set I was really enthusiastic about in a while. Really glad it was a long one, was a ton of fun to play; especially so given I had never played a Pikachu before.

2: Overswarm

:bowser:

3: 1der

Mario vs. Bowser in Winner's Finals? And BOWSER WINS? I think nothing could be better.

4: Hanky Panky

Don't hit my shield so much next time! Peach loses a lot of spacing options against Bowser and his ability to CC turnips and up+B OoS make him a nightmare to approach. Play campier and don't land on top of me as much, and make sure I die when I'm off stage. Always fun playing you.

9: Zinoto

Even though you don't really play this game, it was satisfying to beat you. I enjoy playing PM for funsies with people who live in my household but don't really get much practice in.

9: DRB | Juushichi

Roy sucks and Mewtwo is silly as hell. Tell the PM backroom that Overswarm knows everything and is always right and that they should reduce the size of Mewtwo's hurtbox on his tail, if not remove it entirely, so he can actually zone. Also give him something he can do after fairing or nairing someone's shield because currently the counter to mewtwo is "run up and shield" in a melee style game.

From my very very short impression of the characters:

Mewtwo:
  • Give him something to do on shield, anything. Make confusion go through shield if it doesn't already. From what I saw, getting hit on shield meant mewtwo got hit.
  • Make his tail disjointed or at least drastically reduce the size of the hitbox. Spacing for Mewtwo's back air is stupid easy. Mewtwo will be low tier by default if his primary zoning move is a liability, doubly so if he has no shield pressure game whatsoever.
  • His d-throw seemed different from Melee. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it didn't seem to combo well. I only dabble in Mewtwo melee so I could be crazy and just need more time with the character.
Roy:
  • Roy's recovery is garbage. Whoever thought Roy's recovery being garbage was part of Roy's character should go eat glass. Roy has a harder time getting back to the stage than most other characters in PM. Like it or not, PM has Brawl-style recoveries in that basically everyone usable can get back to the stage if they don't get hit. Roy just... dies. A super long horizontal up+b doesn't do anything if it has tons of lag and no height to speak of. Roy's recovery, like Marth's, is medicore. Marth can get by due to being able to sweetspot the ledge and hit opponents near the ledge in addition to a high vertical height. Roy's recovery just doesn't work and won't ever work.
  • Roy didn't feel fun to play. Mewtwo was a lot of fun to play but I was able to recognize weaknesses. Roy felt like Melee Roy in that he was a fun oddity, but ultimately you played him because you weren't smart enough to play Marth. The whole "no hitstun" thing is something the Melee community has always despised about Brawl, so I was surprised to see if come back with Roy.
Also all of the following are possible thing to do to Bowser if you want to give him more options than "read and hit" and make him less janky in general:
  • reduce knockback growth on forward through and back throw (but not command grab). Bowser's strength is edgeguarding and always has been. He can cover multiple options at the same time. The sheer force of these two throws makes edgeguarding too easy against the majority of the cast. They just go so far that you can edgehog most of them, and fair those you can't without much effort or thought. The process ends at the grab, which is medicore.
  • Increase speed of f-throw. It's so slow my grandma could give it perfect DI every time, and with a power reduction it would need some additional speed.
  • slightly reduce damage on over-b's forward throw; on certain characters it is a guaranteed 20%, on others a guaranteed 60%+. Not bad on its own, but bad in that it is simple as hell and without removing some of Bowser's raw power you can't add anything else to him without making him broken.
  • Increase hitbox / lag of initial jab to where it is a valid option for jab -> grab or jab -> flame trap. Currently jab is worthless as up+b does everything it could do and more, and d-tilt is a better approach by far. Bowser has no approach to speak of, just traps, and a slightly larger hitbox on the jab would help a lot in at least making an opponent panic and create an opening. It would also create the option of jab OoS -> grab, which would be dependent on spacing.
  • Reduce knockback on nair slightly towards the end of the hitbox so Bowser can use it as a setup at higher percents if used well. Currently it can be used as an "oh crap" move out of a combo and... that is it. There are few situations you would use nair instead of fair. Current nair doesn't do much for setups that I've seen.
  • Make dair end faster. It's a giant hitbox that is really only useful for dair -> tech chase grab on hit and suicide kills (dairing off stage). You can't dair off the ledge, you can't retreat with dair, you can't return safely to the stage with dair, and even on hit out of a full or short hop it moves so slowly. It's a liability to use in almost every situation unless you know they are going to get hit, in which case it is often better to fair anyway. It's really fine as it is, but helps make Bowser's game more shallow like Melee Bowser's was.
  • Make his d-throw more of a tech chasing d-throw. It doesn't work that well currently. If Bowser can't tech chase with it against a lot of the cast at low %, meh. This change alone would give Bowser more of a Melee-style game in that move towards the opponent isn't idiotic.
  • Get an audio recording of me saying "Bowser" and use it whenever you hit with a forward smash
Currently Bowser destroys fast fallers, light floaty characters, and anyone with a poor grab game. He gets destroyed by anyone with a strong grab game, strong edgeguarding game, and/or a good keepaway game. This is inherent due to Bowser's size/speed and strong combo options when faced with opponents that get locked in hitstun for forever (see: Fox). What isn't inherent due to Bowser's size is his complete lack of safe approach options. It's fine for him to be a "sit outside of range and poke at you and wait for a mistake then murder you", but it does lead to fairly one-sided engagements. I like him how he is, but the above changes would weaken him slightly in the raw power format but give him a few more options to combo and trap.
Bowser, as he exists, is just a buffed Melee Bowser. Melee Bowser was poorly designed and this results in a "wreck or get wrecked" character. Personally I think he's fine, but if you want a more varied, more "fair" Bowser, you have to make some changes. Hell, his only approach options that are even somewhat safe are a first hit d-tilt and a flame breath projectile, neither of which that have good followups.

9: Hatz

Yay more Bowser. Sorry we didn't get to play, midnight and all that.

9: Sneaky Tako

Maybe you should come over and play more Project M, huh?! Stop living in Chicago, huh?!

13: Shenanigans

The water bottles are awesome. Sorry for having to play you in Melee (again). You'd think the odds alone would indicate we wouldn't play each other first round, but meh. Thanks for teaminig in Halo, best carry ever.

13: Prince Abu

GGs! I enjoyed f-smashing your Jiggs. Picking Fox against Bowser was a bad choice. I would have gone Bowser vs. your Fox in Melee, but I forgot to ask you if we could.

Good attempt at Chu. I failed as well!

25: Ralph Cecil

That's what you get from not playing more Project M!

25: Lunalang

I know you!

Melee Singles (49 entrants)
1: Prince Abu :foxmelee:

Hey I lost to you! GGs. :B

2: Hanky Panky

Thanks for warming up with me prior to the tournament, although it didn't help me much! Always fun seeing you around. Also hilarious that I can break out of grabs faster than you seeing as how fast you can move with Peach. I have no idea where you are from but if you're ever down by Cincinnati, let me know and you can come hang out with me and Kel and maybe Jiano and +1 Juke.

4: Drephen

Thanks for finding Josh. Good to see all you guys again. You should have entered PM, you probably could have gotten any placement in top 3 even without practice.

5: Jiano

You taught me something new about Falcon! Good to know in case I ever get CPed to Peach's Castle in Melee. Come up to Cincinnati sometime and play Melee with me and Kel and +1 Juke, we'll cook antelope or something.

7: Mathos

Good to see you again! It was very pleasing to me to hear you saying "I just want to short hop out of shine, it's not that hard" as I was walking by one of your friendlies. That was my internal monologue the entire time I was here. In ALL games. I've missed this entire crew being around and being a driving force of cohesion.

9: Greg Winchester

Your name is like something out of a horror movie.

9: Juke

You only won our Mewtwo ditto on Termina Bay due to my careless SD! It had absolutely nothing to do with my relative inexperience to the stage and/or game!

13: Gunpunch

You change that name and you change it now. >:|

13: Kell

You even clarified "one l".

17: Shenanigans

Couldn't even beat Drephen.

17: Overswarm

Good job! I believe in you!

You learned a valuable lesson this tournament: never let your opponent choose the battlefield.

The set was a ton of fun! I don't mean to sound cocky or anything, but in my heydey I would have likely won on Smashville as Wario was one of my preferred matchups and you played a bit shakier there. It's all fun to play on goofy stages and I love you for it, but don't think I'm not still trying to win when I'm goofing off. Going to a starter first round helps you learn styles of play and how players approach from a neutral position. Us going to Brinstar and than Wario Ware allowed us both to play kind of zany and then when we got to Smashville we were essentially playing a "best of one". Since you have more recent practice this is bad for you, as I'd expect you to be able to capitalize on reading me more than I you. You got put into a shaky position, but I'm glad you won. I haven't played Brawl since the last tournament and didn't really deserve a win, and I know you would have been salty at losing a set due to Wario Ware.

There were a few mistakes you made in the match that I wasn't able to capitalize on because I'm bad now, but you did a lot of short hop straight up and responded with a double jump if I appeared to be approaching. Wario gets tornado'd for free out of a double jump! I'm just dumb and didn't remember until the set was already over.

You were really comfortable fighting MK OoS, which was weird to me, and on point with your dacus (BR used to mess it up sometimes :B) and your fart game wasn't very obvious, which was good. I never really felt in danger of a KO when we were in the air though as your u-airs were generally fairly obvious and direct and you didn't try to bait air dodges or the like. This could just be because you didn't have to against me because I'm bad now, but it's something I noticed.

GL in the future and hopefully you'll play Smash 4 and I can play you again. :D

5: Kell :marth::metaknight:

The curse still exists.

I'm still salty about u-throwing you and thinking I was green. I was a dumb dumb and just looked at the background icon color and saw green due to the TV's magnet shenanigans. I normally pick Green MK and green shield. U-threw, dead. I was dumb. GGs though. Next time we play I probably won't do any better if I play in another Brawl tournament again. :B

How did LOE1 outplace you

what are you doin

Technically I had a better set with LOE1 because mine was on Wario Ware. :B

"More than likely"

Hi Suyon!

You should maybe consider picking one character, preferably higher on the tier list than the current selection.

13: Kassandra :peach::metaknight:

You outplaced me! :B

I know you!

All in all good tournament. Very poor execution, but I'm just going to assume future ones would be better.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
2: Chudat : :icsmelee:/:pikachumelee:- wish we got to play in singles but i had a blast playing you in teams, glad I could finally meet the legendary chu dat
2: Hanky Panky - gj holdin it down in teams and vs chu dat
4: Drephen 0 ggs, play with us more

7: Paradigm - most underrated player
9: Corkus - step up ur game
9: Fizzle - lol

GGs to everyone else I played, i had a great time at this.

GanondorfDragmire

Smash Rookie
This was my first tournament and, although I got schooled, I had a fantastic time!

Krass (Me) and Mints will have a better showing in P:M next next time!

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice

Karaoke Man's Musically Lacking Shoutoutsssss

Brawl Singles (52 entrants)
1: Zinoto :diddy: Great seeing/ talking to you again while waiting at the beginning of that looooong-ish line. You're still as good as ever. I AINT SEE NO DERP CHARACTERS THO
2: LOE1 :wario: Chrissss! Fun hangin' out with ya this weekend with teams and otherwise. I genuinely appreciate the compliment aaaand you never know... :yoshi2: may make a reappearance in a future tourney. I love how you live up to what you're actually known for, but rest assured all tactics are futile in the presence of :bowser2: :bowser2: :bowser2:
3: Chudat :kirby2:Fun games in dubs! I'm really familiar with the Kirby MU since I play with Gh0st all the time via wifi. Though, even with that I can tell you're a very, very talented player. That and well...results. Hope I can play you sometime in the future.
3: Fizzle :dedede:Fizzle Drizzleeeee, good seein' ya again! Sorry we didn't get to play before the tourney ended, but congrats on tying for 3rd with Chu!
5: WTP :dedede: :falco: Good to see you again, man! I realize while I'm doing these shoutouts that I don't think we've played before for some reason. lol
5: Kell :marth: :metaknight:Man, it's weird to think how you used to whoop my *** on wifi a few years back, and now we're goin' toe-to-toe in sets for the most part. Fun games in both tourney and friendlies! :mario2: > :metaknight:
7: Ksev :snake: Dawg, where do I even begin....I'll start with the part where I get trashed on stream lmao. I'm really impressed with your improvement since the last time we played even though Snake is heavy as a Snorlax eating everything at Burger King including the restaurant itself. At some point on our last friendly, I remembered how to fight Snake again, but even with that you still played really well. Keep it up maaan and congrats on top 10
7: Blue Rogue :wario: Good to see you again maaan. I wish we had got to play. You still did really well after (im assuming) not playing for some time.
9: Sneaky Tako :rob: :dedede:Sneaky! Easily one of like my favorite players to play/watch since you just laugh at everything like I do now. lol Good stuff against LOE1. Almost had him
9: Kryp :pit:I've seen you around before, but you did well too. Good job on your placement. We gotta' talk/play next time.
9: Ralph Cecil :snake: Nice seeing you again Ralph. We had some lulzy dub sets.
9: Suyon :pit:Arrows.....Arrows everywhere. Nah, I'm jk nice seein' you again Suyon. lol
13: Karaoke Man :mario2: :ganondorf: :fox: :yoshi2: :bowser2: YOU'RE ALL LUCKY I DIDNT USE RANDOM AND GET :popo: SO I CAN GET BOPPED EVEN HARDER@@@@
13: Stewy Ian :popo: :metaknight:Nice seein' all of my Michigan folks again. I didn't see much of your matches, but I can tell you're improving too. Keep up the good work and don't worry....There's a huge abyss waiting with your Meta Knight's name on it :bowser2: :bowser2:
13: Kassandra :peach: :metaknight:Kassy! Sorry for taking an eternity + a day to finally be able to team. It was mad fun, even if we lost. Considering we partly lost cause' we killed ourselves. lmao Fun hangin' out with you as well.
13: Soulpech :jigglypuff: :wario:Mr. Jiggly, You are Fairy type now. There should be a #1 next to this placement haha. Good seein' ya again. I would've stayed to coach you vs. Lucario, but I had a match. Still did good though.
17: Overswarm :metaknight:Congrats on 2nd in P;M, I'll be sure to ditto you next time haha. And yeah, I do agree about the character thing. Though, I just wanted to mess around and have some fun. Wasn't too concerned about winning, really. Nice seein' ya again and freakin' :bowser2: ..... YES
17: Ogie :pit: :metaknight:Nice meeting you at the tourney. You're pretty good lol, though it makes me happy to know my :bowser2: can potentially eat masks.
17: Lokii:zerosuitsamus: Alyssa! Had a lot of fun doing dub friendlies during the event. Not just anyone agrees to the notion of double :ganondorf: muahahahaha. Good see ya' again!
17: ShadowThePast :wolf: :metaknight:Fun friendlies! You're a good player, keep at it.
17: Taj :sonic: Nice Sonic.
17: Aura :lucario:I remember playing you at the last ESI I went to. You were a pretty ****ing good Lucario lmao. Glad you could make it out.
17: DBSamming :luigi2:SammySammySammy, pretty soon you're gonna' be like Fizzle. Placing top 5 in every Smash event, only with Luigi. Thanks for havin' my back man for everything. I strongly, strongly appreciate it. Watching you play Melee now is almost disbelief to me, cause' it's shocking to see how far you've come since your Freshman year of High School. Keep it up, dawg.
25: QD :lucario: Glad to see you again too, especially. I'm really impressed with how my disciple (sort of) has improved. It's like the next generation of Trela... I'm very proud of your progress, not only as a Lucario main, but as a player. Keep it up, and you'll get there in no time.
25: Katakiri :pit: :pt: Glad you could come, man! It's been foreeeeeever. Hope everythings going alright with you.
25: Hael Phael :pikachu2: :rob: All Hael the Phael. No masks were destroyed in this event, but lets be honest....We lost early in bracket because I forgot my headphones and the power of "One Less Lonely Girl" couldn't save us. Great seein' ya again!
25: Thekiest :dedede:Oddly enough, we didn't talk at all this event. We will next time. Good to see you again as well.
25: Ola :toonlink: :snake: Fun games on the stream man. I won't lie, I was getting pretty nervous game 2. I don't know how :ganondorf: has the power to rule Hyrule for like hundreds of years, but can't land long enough to kick a mercenary in the face. lol Hope we can play again man. Friendlies or otherwise
33: Jiffy :ness2::wario: I swear, I thought you were 30. lol Good to see you again Jiffy. Tell Helen I says hiiiiiiii
33: Sye :falcon:1,000,000,001+ points for maining Falcon. Keep going and don't give up on him. The community needs more balsy players like yourself.
33: Cam :mario2: :dk2:Nice Mario and DK
33: Twigg :wario: I didn't know you played Wario. lol When you played QD in that friendly, you played DK haha. Keep improving mah boy. Even though, I'm just meeting you for the first time.
33: Habsol :sheik: Goooood, Sheik vs Yoshi is so weird. Those legs flip Yoshi like he's a krabby patty. Don't let my friendly victories fool you, you're also a good player. Keep it up man!
33: Win Winning is what I didn't do derp
33: Indel :kirby2: I was looking for you for the longest time cause' we had a Melee match to play. Sucks that we couldn't play. I was eager to keep using Pichu.
49: Lunalang :lucario: We didn't talk, but good to see you again!

Honarary shoutouts:

Carls :fox: I'm happy you could still come despite not being able to enter the events you wanted. As you put it, "you still got it" haha. Hope to see ya again soon. oh and yeah I'm glad people think my :mario2: is good. hehe
Juu/Chonce: :falco: :gw: (I think) Good to see you again, man. I'm sorry we haven't really talked as much as we used to. I'mma try to hit you up more. I guess there's a good thing there wasn't another :bowser2: in the P;M bracket. huehue
JT5565/Jeremiah :sonic: :link2: Thanks for the ride to the tourney, man. I appreciate it. Idk why you're still fixated on Sonic getting nerfed in P;M. Not only is he STILL BROKEN, but at least you have your character ;~;
Guy who thought my Pichu wasn't manly enough for his :sheik: at first: I beat your Roy with Pichu. I won a game with the most important character. Day=made fun friendlies, though.

I thoroughly enjoyed this event. After this event, there's no doubt in my mind that I still have the competitive spirit and drive to compete in this game, though I'm whatever the retirement word means now. I'm gonna' try to come out to more tournies not only cause' I still enjoy this game and some people in the community, but I seriously miss all of you, real talk. When I get my braces off next month, I'll be able to sing for ya'll. Since it'd make no sense for my name to be "Karaoke Man" and then not sing. haha, I also would like to say that I'd like to come back as a Coach as well and help players like the many that entered this event to improve their game, regardless of character.

Hope to see you guys again uhhh...Sometime soon-ish!

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I'll do shoutouts soon.

Also, the bracket has a few discrepancies. Winners Finals was played out and Ksev beat WTP in losers quarters not the other way around; so he should be in 5th instead of WTP.

SoulPech

Smash Master
SoulPech's Super Godlike Shoutouts

For starters, Columbus Smash currently uploading PM videos from this tourney, so check us out to view and don't forget to subscribe as well. Also, check out DOA Gaming where me and Alfastryke record some Let's Play footage.

For new/existing Columbus or surrounding players (or anyone in general I guess):

New Columbus (or Cincinnati... or Pittsburgh) people, if you have Facebook and are interested in seeing what's going on in Columbus for Brawl (kinda) and definitely Project M, ask to join the Columbus PM and Brawl Facebook Group. Otherwise, please pop into the Columbus, Ohio Social and Smashfest Thread here on Smashboards.

Colten (SoulPech) and Chonce (me) generally update what we're doing in the group, what events we're going to, what smashfests are being hosted... and currently, travel plans for APEX 2014. Please, please, please communicate with us, as this will make things 1 million times easier in the future.

Not to neglect those of you who enjoy Melee. For that, please join the OSU Melee Facebook Group and talk to Abhi (Prince Abu) and Tyler (HankyPanky)

Overall, I had fun at this tournament. Not going to repeat the hiccups at this tourney since it was already mentioned and I hope to be a part of this venue going forward. Now onto the shoutouts:

To everyone: Glad to see everyone again! I always enjoy seeing everyone :3.

Project Melee

New people: Nice meeting all the new people. I hope you guys all stick with it and we get to play more.

1: Chudat - Enjoyed our set. It was an honor playing you in tourney. I hope to play you more in the future.

2: Overswarm - B-B-B-BOWSER!!!11

5: Fizzle - We never hang out :(. I also hate yer Mario

7: Soulpech - Buttz

9: Zinoto - I don't like my win over in at this tourney. It's almost like I beat you without playing... harharhar.

9: DRB | Juushichi - Awesome that you stepped it up running the PM tourney. Always a pleasure to hang out with you

13: Suyon - We both play in PM and Brawl. We were 1-1 at this tourney lol. D-til is the dumbest thing in the world

13: Shenanigans - Mom's spaghetti

13: Krass - Nice meeting you :3

17: Fumbles - New Guy :). It's awesome you came out and played in tourney. I hope you stick with it and attend more tournies

17: Broverdose - Enjoyed your set. ggs :)

17: Dr. X and all of Cincinatti - We need to attempt to hang out more and play in smashfests. Let's schedule something sometime.

17: Mudkyp - You're pretty awesome. I plan to make at least a few trips to Dayton to play w/ you and shen. Hope we get to meet again

25: Ralph Cecil - I hope you get to play more of this game. Maybe teach you Snake stuff :O

25: Lunalang - GG in our sets. Hope you and OS had fun

25: Alfa Stryke - You're almost at the point where you have control of your character, what it can/cannot do. You're improving so much. I can't wait to see you at your full potential.

---------------------

Brawl

2: LOE1 - Yeah, i'm gonna start practicing brawl this week to prep. This tourney re-sparked my interest in the game. I enjoyed our set in dubz too.

7: Ksev - Thanks for carrying me in doubles lol. I have never teamed with Snake before in tourney. Next time, I just gotta cover your landings.

9: Sneaky Tako - You made me cry by not being LOE1. Now there will be no Lo-mein :(

13: Karaoke Man - Man, I wish you would try to win at these things. I understand that you come to these for fun, but it just makes me sad :(

13: Stewy Ian - Pretty shocked you placed so low. I had you at top 5 lol. Glad you guys came out though and good games to our doubles match

17: Ogie - Enjoyed our doubles set. You got alot better from the last time I saw you

17: Loki - Glad you came out. It would be awesome if you made some Soraka artwork *nudge nudge* <3

17: ShadowThePast - You need to DI that dair lol. You just DI out and away and you're good, lol.

17: Aura - Enjoyed our set. GGs :)

17: DBSammy - <3 Glad to see you

25: QD - I was hoping you would place higher. I apologize for neglecting to hang out with you. I just can't find interest for anyone to travel up there. I promise that once when there's interest, we can travel up there.

25: Hael Phael - my teddy bear <3. Glad to see you

25: Thekiest - Coming back from the dead to commentate. I got to hear from it and I enjoyed it. I hope I can help commentate as well for future events.

25: B-Boy - I enjoyed our set. Hope we get to have more of these. I'm also willing to co-run these as well.

33: Jiffy - GGs in our set. Glad to see you and NEOH out to this

we out

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
2: Overswarm - BOOOOOOOWSSSSSEEEEEERRRRRR (ggs, your Bowser has gotten insanely good).
5: Fizzle - You had me game two. Also, sorry I distracted you in that one Brawl match BUT TO BE FAIR Brawl is pretty objectively awful and I still stand by everything I said.
13: Prince Abu - lololololol

1: Prince Abu - You're still good. This is probably the best we've ever synergized in teams - still can't believe we brought it back - and I reaaaaally hope the GFs video isn't lost forever because we can both learn from it. I'm also gonna put some effort into studying the Peach v Puff MU in the future. This is something I need to spend a lot of time on if I want to beat you again in tourney.
2: Chudat - I had so much fun playing you in P:M and Melee. I kinda wanted to play against your ICs 1v1, but taking a set off your Pikachu in P:M and Melee is still pretty decent, right? Really glad you decided to come out to the tournament; you seem like a cool guy. Congrats on getting top 3 in basically everything, by the way.
4: Drephen - I wanted to prove myself vs. you but never got the chance. I know you just got married and have a life now, but you should come to more smashfests. I could really use the Sheik experience.
7: Paradigm - lol i 4-stocked you, go back to IBM
9: Corkus - Didn't really follow what happened to you in bracket, although I know you're good enough to get to top 5 at these things. Keep working on your bad match-ups.
9: Greg Winchester - Your Ganon is pretty solid. I wasn't expecting some of the stuff you pulled out.
13: Gunpunch - gl with fox
13: Achilles - Sucks you narrowly lost to Jiano. =(

What's The Point

Smash Master
Honestly, besides everything starting late, I think the biggest problem was PM monopolizing Chu. Every time I went over to get Chu it was he just had to finish the set, then when I went back he was already in his next set. Melee and Brawl waited like 3 hours while Chu played 5 PM sets. If he had played a set or two and switched to another game I think everything would have finished.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Honestly, besides everything starting late, I think the biggest problem was PM monopolizing Chu. Every time I went over to get Chu it was he just had to finish the set, then when I went back he was already in his next set. Melee and Brawl waited like 3 hours while Chu played 5 PM sets. If he had played a set or two and switched to another game I think everything would have finished.

Having been at this tournament, I can safely say this is incorrect. XD

stewyian

Smash Ace
13: Stewy Ian - Pretty shocked you placed so low. I had you at top 5 lol. Glad you guys came out though and good games to our doubles match
being tired hard counters me lmao

LOE1 you only had to carry me in one set you noob

also ggs to everyone doubles was fun gettin to GF, wish we woulda played it out we woulda bopped you Zinoto and WTP

Good **** to my good friend KSev for boppin ppl, you've def improved so much recently with all the time you put into the game and it shows, but your still free in dubs :denzel:

Zinoto u played bad all tourney

Shoutouts to the unclutch downair

Shoutouts to Chu Dat and Fizzle holdin up all the brackets

Shoutouts to us playin Kel OS round 1 in dubs

Shoutouts to Jimmy Johns

Shoutouts to Fizzle grime followed by Chu Dat grime

Shoutouts to Zinoto and Chauncey making all the brackets when they wernt suppost too

Shoutouts to the Michigan takin all the brawl money

Shoutouts to Michigan

Did i mention that Michigan is the superior state?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Zinoto when you make your shoutouts you should remember to contact me

Maybe I'll make a trip up for the next one of these

Top Bottom