• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

I think Toad is in a good place as a meatshiled (though Toadsworth seems like a better choice) Toad just doesn't really seem interesting enough to warrant a character.

Captain Toad on the other hand has slowly grown on me. He's a specific character who can bring something new to the table, as well as having actual moveset potential (His light and the pick ax power-up) I would enjoy seeing him in the game.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I like Captain Toad better than normal Toad. He has more personality and a better, more interesting design.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I have a moveset.
Captain Toad would be unique. The strange thing about this Toad is, he cannot jump. He can grapple onto ledges and such, but he can't jump or roll. He also only has access to B moves, as well as his Final Smash. The good news? He is very heavy: It's very hard to knock him off the stage. Also, what little moves he has are fairly powerful.
Neutral B: Pickaxe
Toad summons the Pickaxe. It's basically a clone of the Hammer. It lasts for about 5 seconds, then disappears. During this time, the move has quite a lot of KO potential, being able to deal up to 50% and knock players off the stage at higher percentages.
Side B: Head Lamp
Toad shines his head lamp on the enemy. This causes them to trip. Yes. trip. Toad can literally cause the enemy to trip at will.
Up B: Grappling Hook
Toad pulls out his grappling hook and grapples onto the ledge. The notable thing is that the Grappling Hook can not be knocked off: It's sturdy, and Toad can always find his way back to land... If he manages to lock on. That doesn't always happen.
Down B: Turnip
Taking a cue from Princess Peach, Toad quickly takes out a turnip and throws it at the enemy. He is able to do this... surprisingly quickly. These are his main projectile move. Part of the fun of Toad is throwing turnips upon turnips at your enemies.
Final Smash: Starshroom
So, you know how Captain Olimar's Final Smash was replaced? Besides the Dolphin becoming an item and becoming less relevant, this would be the reason why. Captain Toad repairs the Starshroom, and jumps into the sky. He then crashes down, for what must be a KO.
Taunts:
Side Taunt: Toad stares at the enemy, and adjusts his hat.
Up Taunt: Toad takes out a diamond, and holds it up like Link.
Down Taunt: Toad shudders. He is very clearly scared.[.spoiler]

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
Captain toad made me love toads, his design is so cute and just downright great. I'm all for this :3

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
This is my most wanted character for Smash 4 as I LOVE Toad. Game I'm most excited for after Smash is Captain Toad! I don't think he'll be in the roster, but with the Sal Romano leak confirming DLC... If Captain Toad sells well I'm. Sure this would be a great choice! This fixes the problem of Toad being in Peach's moveset, because Captain Toad is actually an interesting character that has some action to him. Full support for this character.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
easy way to solve the jumping problem "while in his previous aprences captain toad was not capable of jumping you'll notice we gave him a smaller backpack thus lightening his load so to speak. This was nesisary to include him into the game" boom done

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I can see Captain Toad already being added to the game as one of the final secret characters. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still want to see this happen. Count me in. Not getting Toad playable this time was a bad decision, but I innitially got over it due to Rosalina just being a very great choice as well. In fact, Rosalina was the only acceptable character to get in before Toad I felt. Still, Toad is a huge iconic Nintendo character. Well worthy of 'All Star' status, unlike some of these newcomers... :rolleyes:

Besides, I have a thing for 'royal guard' Nintendo characters. Toad, Impa, Bandana Dee... All would be worthy characters I feel.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
We have a few more supporters coming in, but unfortunately I'm kind of busy over the next few days.

Because of this I will be adding you all to the Toad Brigade soon, wait a few days though.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Toad just won't die.
He's immortal on these forums.
Hopefully Tingle stays dead though.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I like Captain Toad and I'm happy he's getting a full game now. However I feel like we will never see Captain Toad being playable.

There is one main argument that speaks fully against an inclusion in SSB4 or SSB5: Captain Toad isn't able to jump. This is the key element of his levels. However in Smash Bros, every character needs to be able to jump. Therefore I don't see how he could work. Sorry guys :/

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'm with Kon.
I would really love to see Captain Toad making a playable appearance in Smash, if they won't opt for THE Toad. But, they make SUCH a big deal out of his inability to jump (you even see Captain Toad failing a jump attempt when you press the jump button) that I just don't see it working, even if you tweak his moveset around his inability to jump. You could make him so heavy that he'd be very hard to knock around, but... come on, no way in heck is Toad heavier than Bowser. I doubt he's even heavier than Mario to be honest. Smash Bros surely does have SOME canon in the weight department (some characters excluded such as Yoshi, but that origins back to his original design where he actually looked relatively heavy before his upright stance design; and really whether he retains his heavyness in SSB4 remains to be seen).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The reason Captain Toad cannot jump is because his backpack is very heavy. Sakurai could just make Captain Toad jump by justifying that he reduced the weight of his backpack.

Maybe instead of being traditionally lightweight, Toad is unusually heavyweight in Smash? That could be potentially unique... a small-sized character who is a speedy heavyweight.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
The reason Captain Toad cannot jump is because his backpack is very heavy. Sakurai could just make Captain Toad jump by justifying that he reduced the weight of his backpack.

Maybe instead of being traditionally lightweight, Toad is unusually heavyweight in Smash? That could be potentially unique... a small-sized character who is a speedy heavyweight.
Honestly, literally every other character who has had their own game besides Toad himself has a spot in Smash. Therefore, Captain Toad deserves a spot. And Arcadenik may be right about the way to do it.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I can see an event where you need to beat the three captains ; Falcon, Olimar, Toad.
Would feel good guys.

Kon

Smash Journeyman

This is a strange idea. As a recovery I could think of Captain Toad throwing his backpack up to the stage and following his backpack after having thrown it. For the jump thing he could with each jump have things falling of his backpack(which have no influence on other fighters and are purely for a certain explanation of why Captain Toad suddenly is able to jump)

I like this as an idea, but I think Sakurai is too worried about not respecting the rules Captain Toad has to accept in his game(s).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why would Sakurai worry about that? This is the same man who gave Ness and Lucas special moves they had no access to in their original games... the same man who made Ganondorf a clone of Captain Falcon... compared to them, the sudden ability to jump is nothing.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Well Olimar can't jump normally...
This is true but it isn't the same case as the main aspect of the game doesn't really matter about if Olimar were able to jump or not. The goal is more or less to collect treasures on the map by throwing your Pikmins. Sometimes you have to battle enemies in order to find the treasure. The key element of Captain Toad is to survive the level while not being able to jump. Each level shows the player exactly that he's unable to jump. So every player is aware of the fact that Captain Toad is unable to jump. In the case of Olimar, you of course would have certain situations where it would be nice to be able to jump but it's not highlighted in the same way.

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik
Your examples speak of the moveset. That's something completely different. Sakurai created a whole moveset for Captain Falcon and Fox without having much to work with.

I could compare Captain Toad with the Villager. First Sakurai thought the peaceful way of the Animal Crossing games would mean such characters can't participate in a battle. Captain Toad is almost in a similar situation with his game(s) making him unable to jump.

I wouldn't expect Captain Toad in SSB4 or SSB5 because of this reason. I mean Sakurai always tries to have at least some connection to the games the characters originate from but in the case of Captain Toad he would have to ignore the main problem of Captain Toad in his game(s) and I don't think he would do such a thing.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
This is true but it isn't the same case as the main aspect of the game doesn't really matter about if Olimar were able to jump or not. The goal is more or less to collect treasures on the map by throwing your Pikmins. Sometimes you have to battle enemies in order to find the treasure. The key element of Captain Toad is to survive the level while not being able to jump. Each level shows the player exactly that he's unable to jump. So every player is aware of the fact that Captain Toad is unable to jump. In the case of Olimar, you of course would have certain situations where it would be nice to be able to jump but it's not highlighted in the same way.

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik
Your examples speak of the moveset. That's something completely different. Sakurai created a whole moveset for Captain Falcon and Fox without having much to work with.

I could compare Captain Toad with the Villager. First Sakurai thought the peaceful way of the Animal Crossing games would mean such characters can't participate in a battle. Captain Toad is almost in a similar situation with his game(s) making him unable to jump.

I wouldn't expect Captain Toad in SSB4 or SSB5 because of this reason. I mean Sakurai always tries to have at least some connection to the games the characters originate from but in the case of Captain Toad he would have to ignore the main problem of Captain Toad in his game(s) and I don't think he would do such a thing.
Congratulations, you just provided evidence against yourself. Animal Crossing has always been about living life in a peaceful village. That doesn't at all translate to a fighting game, just like how a character that can't jump wouldn't translate to an aerial game. Yet, Villager got in. All they would need to do is take steps to make him more viable, just like they did with Ness and Lucas (Who wouldn't really translate, either, considering they're healers.) Outside of that. anything's possible.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I am a huge fan of Captain Toad, actually, and he would definitely make for a very interesting character in the series. The main thing against him apparently is that he can't jump. Well, he doesn't have to:

Can you see the platforms there? The red ones, with fans. I don't know what they're called, but they feature in Captain Toad levels, as you can see there, in Super Mario 3D World. The way they work is that you walk onto them and then blow or make a noise to make the platforms rise. I'm not suggesting that you should make a noise to make Capt. Toad jump, as that would be very easily exploitable, but if you click the jump button, maybe one of those platforms could appear? They rise at different heights in SM3DW too, so that can be good for smash since I think generally the second jump is higher than the first. While this would make his air game rather terrible, it would give him an extremely unique play-style. He has unlimited amounts of these platforms (not just 2 jumps -- he doesn't ever actually jump, so a helpless state makes little sense) but they ONLY go vertically. Thus, you must fall off and create another platforms again, each times giving you a little more height. This leaves you very susceptible to camping, but gives you a pretty great recovery game.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Add me to the brigade when you can, @ Louie G. Louie G.
Captain Toad is really hype. Lovable, gung-ho, distinct and ready!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Maybe Toad can have a kind of unique feature: You can pluck turnips and bombs and such and store it in your backpack. If Toad's backpack is empty, he can jump fairly high. However, the more you store, his jumps get lower and lower. Here:

Neutral Special: Item Pluck. Captain Toad leans over and plucks out an item (turnips, bombs, brick blocks, green shells, etc.) and stores them in his backpack. He can also grab normal items (things like Pitfalls, Banana Peels, Smart Bombs, etc.) and status items (Starmen, Mushrooms, Screw Attacks, etc.) and store them as well. He can only store 5 items.
Side Special: Item Throw. Captain Toad will pluck out whatever item he selected from his backpack, and throw it forward, or use said item if it applies to him (such as Mushrooms, Starmen, Screw Attacks). He'll also wield items such as Home-Run Bats or Beam Swords if he has them.
Up Special: Minecart Madness. A minecart pops under Toad as the rails lead in whatever direction you point. The minecart will then poof into a cloud, and Toad will be left helpless.
Down Special: Item Scroll. Captain Toad holds up an item from his backpack. Continue to press this in order to find an item in your inventory. You can only hold 5 things in your inventory, so make sure to pay attention.

And Bob's your uncle, there's a unique fighter!

...Wait, I subliminally made him an Olimar clone. Whoospie doodles.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
Maybe you could be able to balance how strong his attacks are (items in his backpack) with how heavy he is.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You kinda have Wario for that. (More fast on air than ground though.)

Also wouldn't mind him as playable (WAY better than a generic Toad and this guy won me over since Galaxy anyway), but I think him getting his own retail game (based on the best levels in 3D World no less) is a way better thing than a spot in Smash. :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think he's a prime choice if we get character DLC.

He has just grown more and more notable since his debut in Galaxy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why is this it's own thread though? I feel like we could just MERGE the Toad threads.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations, you just provided evidence against yourself. Animal Crossing has always been about living life in a peaceful village. That doesn't at all translate to a fighting game, just like how a character that can't jump wouldn't translate to an aerial game. Yet, Villager got in. All they would need to do is take steps to make him more viable, just like they did with Ness and Lucas (Who wouldn't really translate, either, considering they're healers.) Outside of that. anything's possible.
Great. As I see you didn't get my point. Sakurai was able to implement the Villager close to what he can in his own games. So after all, the Villager is still working the way you could imagine a Villager from Animal Crossing to work like. However as you seem to know how to find a solution for Captain Toad's jumping problem, let us know as well. I chose the Villager as an example because in Brawl this was one major reason for not putting him in the roster. It was the sole example that came into my mind which could at least be more close than Captain Falcon, Lucas or Ness.

I was never against Captain Toad but I feel like Sakurai may not put him in because then Captain Toad wouldn't be what people know him for. Therefore I feel like he will be in a similar situation to the Villager in Brawl. (I want to underline in a SIMILAR, not in the SAME) The Villager's main problem was the peaceful setting of Animal Crossing and Sakurai got him implemented in SSB4 by keeping all the peaceful things the Villager does in the AC games. I'm curious about how he would solve the problem of Captain Toad.

@ Shorts Shorts
Well because Captain Toad has a backpack, he can't jump and he has his own game since the E3. (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker)
Toad however has no backpack, can jump and has no own game. See the difference? ^^

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Whatever, just seems like a Captain Toad supporter is a Toad supporter who suddenly found A LOT OF RELEVANCE. I would imagine a united front is better than separated ones. But whatever floats your boat.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I support this, C. Toad would be a cool guy. I just want an event where you must fight C. Falcon, C. Olimar, and C. Toad...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Whatever, just seems like a Captain Toad supporter is a Toad supporter who suddenly found A LOT OF RELEVANCE. I would imagine a united front is better than separated ones. But whatever floats your boat.
True. It's like having two separate threads for classic Wario in his Wario Land outfit and for Wario in his WarioWare biker outfit... which is just silly.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
True. It's like having two separate threads for classic Wario in his Wario Land outfit and for Wario in his WarioWare biker outfit... which is just silly.
Actually I totally wouldn't mind that.

Also I don't want Toad, I want CAPTAIN Toad.

Top Bottom