• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showcase Olimar

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
There are 4 videos in the Olimar section of the "Best Vids of Each Character" thread

Which video (hell, it may not even be one in that thread) do you think shows how to play Olimar in the best way?

"Olimar:

Gonta - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsUPhs9KygQ *Japanese*
Nominated by Awex
February 4th 2009

DanGR - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsf7BAiPqHA
Nominated by Winnar
January 19th 2009

Atomsk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NadxN_3sQno
Nominated by Awex
November 5th 2008

BlackWaltzX - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PqK6HO7O3y0
Nominated by asob4
October 22nd 2008"

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the original thread, I've said that mine needs to be taken down multiple times. People keep nominating it though... so I gave up. >_>

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Dan, I think yours is really good. I mean, you were clearly better than your opponent, but what I liked about the video was that it showed a lot of very good whistles.

Oh my...and people say the Japanese don't camp! That oli is really good, such excellent camping and he actually uses pluck canceling! Of those four vids, I think that one was the superest.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The whistles were unnecessary. I only whistled instead of airdodging that match because I wanted to gain control of Olimar quicker so I could attack quicker- thus comboing, and killing quicker- thus winning quicker so I could get my pool matches done cuz I was hungry. <_<

And Gonta. Yeah, he integrated pluck canceling into his gameplay well (which we should probably all do more), but when you look past that, you realize that the video wasn't one of the best vids of Olimar. I can name several videos with better overall Olimars... but they don't use pluck canceling, which looks pretty cool. :p Also, the Marth wasn't very good. Kinda like the D3 in my vid.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
True, but they were still done very well, which was all I was pointing out.

The Marth was pretty good, I think he compared to Gonta better than the d3 in your vid. Not like we was completely ***** *coughblackwaltzcough*
Even if it isn't one of the best oli vids, of the four, I think it is. I mean, Waltz just ***** too hard, you kinda ***** too hard. Of Atomsk's and Gonta's, I think Gonta's shows good olimarage the best. (not sayin he's better than the other 3, just that the vid itself displayed oli the best)

Of course, it's only four vids. Can't say one is THE best vid when there's only four :/

Fino

Smash Master
The japanese oliamr looks a lot how I play now.... I've been integrating a lot of pluck cancels into my game.
too good... :D
I'm not the only one ^^;
He's a lot better at it than I am though... then again... I just started doing it like a few days ago XD

~Fino

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
I have to say either BlackWaltzX or Atomsk. The BlackWaltzX match was just 1:40 of pure, unadulturated **** on not even a horrible Kirby, but the Atomsk match showed a good way of dealing with the best character in the game. Aesthetically, the BlackWaltzX is more appealing, but scientifically, in taking away all of an opponent's options and playing to your strengths very smartly, Atomsk. So, if your looking for the most instructional, I'd go with Atomsk. A mixture of the pure aggression of BlackWaltzX and the sound smartness of Atomsk would be the ideal way to play Olimar, in my opinion.

asob4

Smash Champion
most technical olimar goes to: gonta!
so pointless but cool looking hahahah
why not pluck all 6 and continue to throw them?
simplest is the best

Dyyne

Smash Ace
most technical olimar goes to: gonta!
so pointless but cool looking hahahah
why not pluck all 6 and continue to throw them?
simplest is the best
Hmmm, the pluck pivoting thing is actually really cool. Run, pluck to insta pivot. Pretty good mindgamed, I think....waveplucking anybody?

Awex

Smash Lord
I don't remember nominating gonta's vid.. I just showed it to samuelson on aim because it was a cool style. xD

I think the pluck cancel to pivot is funny, but I would try to avoid running around with few pikmin. It is a good idea, however, to pluck while running, which is the same mechanic. :p

Atomsk's vid.

oiMrXio

Smash Cadet
Atomsk's and Blackwaltz's vids were easily the most impressive to me.

Those were just ****.

RichBrown

Smash Master
While Gonta's vid isn't the best, I LOVE the technique. I tend to dash in the opposite direction and then SH FB, so it would really throw my opponents for a loop if I ran in the other direction, and then suddenly ran back towards them and Usmashed them. I'm definitely gonna start using that more.

The rapest video is probably Waltz. And no disrespect to DanGR, but his opponent didn't really know what he was doing lol

Fino

Smash Master
While Gonta's vid isn't the best, I LOVE the technique. I tend to dash in the opposite direction and then SH FB, so it would really throw my opponents for a loop if I ran in the other direction, and then suddenly ran back towards them and Usmashed them. I'm definitely gonna start using that more.

The rapest video is probably Waltz. And no disrespect to DanGR, but his opponent didn't really know what he was doing lol
if you're fast enough you can do it from nolimar.... I pulled it off on stealth raptor

dash away pluck dash back usmash. it was a purple ^_^

~Fino

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman
I love the BlackWaltzX vid the most. Seeing how the match up is in kirby's favor. He seems to know the match up really well and **** that kirby. And some moves he uses are some moves i never suspected.

Rocann

Smash Lord
I suppose that someone should change that in the match-up discussion thread...
I never agreed with it in the first place; I've never even had trouble with kirby and PS just beat chu, evidently pretty badly, who is hands down the best one. He dies too early and doesn't have anything on Olimar except a bunch of dairs, which is easy to fight nowadays

RichBrown

Smash Master
MogX throws a wall of Bairs at me, I haven't played him since January though I don't know how I'd do against him now.

asob4

Smash Champion
i really don't think it's that hard either, i'd have to play mogX
i ***** sky's kirby hahahahahahah

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
dont like blackwaltz really, he's just playing regularly, and he didnt know the matchup or something he just played as usual, that kirby just really sucked balls, thats all ther is too it...atomsk aint something special either, just good, dangr is pretty good but not better than the usual good oli player around here I PRESUME.
but Gonta is definetly my favourite, he's a bit faster than all other olis and uses pikmin pluck clever.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
dont like blackwaltz really, he's just playing regularly, and he didnt know the matchup or something he just played as usual, that kirby just really sucked balls, thats all ther is too it...atomsk aint something special either, just good, dangr is pretty good but not better than the usual good oli player around here I PRESUME.
but Gonta is definetly my favourite, he's a bit faster than all other olis and uses pikmin pluck clever.
Uhhh...You really don't know anything about reputable olis do you? When they played oli, blackwaltz and atomsk were the best around, and dangr is pretty good as well.

And the kirby in waltz's video is actually really good..waltz was just too good.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
Uhhh...You really don't know anything about reputable olis do you? When they played oli, blackwaltz and atomsk were the best around, and dangr is pretty good as well.

And the kirby in waltz's video is actually really good..waltz was just too good.
this post just shows your the one without experience, you can clearly see the opponent isn't really that good. you can see those things if you look how they play, not if they lose or win.
blackwaltz just played normally good but not really cared about the matchup cause he was owning that kirbys *** anyway. You dont see blackwaltz brawling any different against some other random chars who aint as good.
I think blackwaltz and atomsk (and dangr) are good olis ( I commented that on there videos long time ago..you can look up if you want) but the fact that they were the most "popular" doesn't show there the best around. This thread is about NOW and I believe gonta has the best oli of the four.
when I look at the oli forums here I think ist actually of quite low level, thats the main reason I dont come here very often, most of the things that are posted here I have figured out a long time ago (and I presume more good olis did too) except for some things like the frame chart, those things are the reason I keep coming here, for some new data that i can't really find myself.

so when i DO see a thread were my opinion is asked about what oli player is best i choose gonta. I have no problems if you do not agree with me but you saying that I know nothing and saying that "they were the best around" just shows your the one who needs to learn.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
this post just shows your the one without experience, you can clearly see the opponent isn't really that good. you can see those things if you look how they play, not if they lose or win.
blackwaltz just played normally good but not really cared about the matchup cause he was owning that kirbys *** anyway. You dont see blackwaltz brawling any different against some other random chars who aint as good.
I think blackwaltz and atomsk (and dangr) are good olis ( I commented that on there videos long time ago..you can look up if you want) but the fact that they were the most "popular" doesn't show there the best around. This thread is about NOW and I believe gonta has the best oli of the four.
when I look at the oli forums here I think its actually of quite low level, thats the main reason I dont come here very often, most of the things that are posted here I have figured out a long time ago (and I presume more good olis did too) except for some things like the frame chart, those things are the reason I keep coming here, for some new data that i can't really find myself.

so when i DO see a thread were my opinion is asked about what oli player is best i choose gonta. I have no problems if you do not agree with me but you saying that I know nothing and saying that "they were the best around" just shows your the one who needs to learn.
You know the funny thing about that, this is all your opinion because you don't take the time to carefully read and understand the things posted here. You have some nerve saying those kind of statements here, if you're so just and smarter why not go to a tournament(I want to see you actually get high because all I here is just nonsense, talk is cheap). Please think more about things before you post them.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
You know the funny thing about that, this is all your opinion because you don't take the time to carefully read and understand the things posted here. You have some nerve saying those kind of statements here, if you're so just and smarter why not go to a tournament(I want to see you actually get high because all I here is just nonsense, talk is cheap). Please think more about things before you post them.

I'm already going to tournaments son :p
you know tnot?

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
Did you place as high in them? :p

Btw, you might wanna slow down when you type because sometimes its hard to understand your....dialogue =/

yes I did,

And you may want to improve your english a bit cause I didn't really understand your previous post....

and if I may quote you: Did you place as high in them? :p

:p I just typ fast when I got alot to say and I also edit things afterwards wich makes the post not really understandeble for a few I guess.

Snail

Smash Lord
yes I did,

And you may want to improve your english a bit cause I didn't really understand your previous post....

:p I just typ fast when I got alot to say and I also edit things afterwards wich makes the post not really understandeble for a few I guess.

And you may want to make sure someone's actually making a mistake before correcting them, because "did you place as high in them?" is perfectly acceptable English. You said you go to tournaments regularly, to which Vivi responded by asking "did you place as high (as BlackWaltz/Atomsk/DanGR) in them?" (them referring to the tournaments you supposedly attend). There's nothing wrong about that, however things like "wich" and "understandeble" are plain dumb spelling mistakes and "I type fast" is an incredibly lame excuse because there are many people here who manage to type fast AND without spelling mistakes all over the place.

I agree with you that Gonta's video shows the most overall flashiness and speed, but I think you're overlooking the depth that went into Atomsk's game when he successfully and consistently avoided and punished Inui's attempted approaches and the many smart decisions BlackWaltz made to absolutely obliterate that Kirby (who isn't all that bad in fact; BlackWaltz just makes him look crappy.)

No hard feelings (;

I also think we can change the Kirby matchup ratio to 50:50 or something. Olimar's metagame has evolved very much since we decided that ratio and I doubt Kirby still has the advantage...

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
yes I did,

Like Snail said, I was asking if you placed higher than BlackWaltz and etc(sorry if I didn't mention somebody T_T) in the tournaments you attended.

Seriously dude, proofread your posts before posting.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I also think we can change the Kirby matchup ratio to 50:50 or something. Olimar's metagame has evolved very much since we decided that ratio and I doubt Kirby still has the advantage...
Agreed. I two stocked George's Kirby (a very good Kirby player) twice in our most recent tournament set. In pools I played super aggro like Pyronic Star played and won v Chu, and I lost by a stock twice, and then in brackets I played super campy. It seemed to work much, much better. The only way he got a hit on me was simple stuff like if one of us read or misread each other, or he got a roll behind me and I didn't punish. He ***** me offstage whenever he baited whistles and timed his backairs correctly, but other than that, there wasn't anything that seemed too bad.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
With previous post I meant the post he posted on the second page.
I knew he referred to those guys and the tournaments, I just thought it was wrong english or something because of the pronunciation.

I also know how great the other olis did, I just prefer gonta although his opponent was of a lower level.

I know I make mistakes at English while I type but I just don't know how to correct them, I'm Dutch and If I think somebody understands what I'm saying that'll be enough.

Kirby matchup has to be changed indeed.

Top Bottom