• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Happy birthday, SHOW ME YOUR NEWS!

Today is a big day for SMYN...a turning point, even.

First of all, it is the two-year anniversary of the day I posted the very first podcast on smashboards.com. A momentous day indeed.

Second, today is the publishing date of the pilot episode of the new video podcast format for "Show Me Your News." These episode is just over 34 minutes long. We have high hopes for this - an audio file will be released as well, so you can listen to this on the go, but releasing the videos will be spread out throughout the day for a couple of reasons.

1) We're trying to work with uploading them in "HD" on Youtube. As a result, this process takes a couple hours per video.
2) I have class and I am also driving home for the weekend. As a result, I won't be able to access my computer at certain points in the day.

STAY TUNED FOR THESE LINKS TO BE UPDATED!

Video, part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_ZIITwGRk
Video, part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOVf1EqqVew
Video, part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xDiBqOSz0g
Video, part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njYZl7_dRMg

Audio (full): http://smyn.smashnexus.net/download.php?id=56

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
Fantastic; glad to see this thing finally getting off the ground. Can't wait to see the final product!

Edit: Watching the first part now. Good so far, but the quality's a little iffy. I imagine that's YouTube's problem, though, so what are you gonna do?

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
So if this new project is a half-hour long, I would gladly dump all the episodes of Freeman's Mind, Shephard's Mind, and Barney's Mind off of my iPod and download the new episodes of SMYN from YouTube. Having just audio from pretty much any video bugs me.

Good stuff guys. I'm really looking forward to it.

And C'mon. Tell me at least one of you out there watches Freeman's Mind. Cyber? Swordy? :p

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
The first part was really good, but I noticed how much better Youko's video quality was compared to Panda's. You also need to adjust the size of the video window so you can fit the words on the side in. Or just move something around. But overall, it was a great start.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Part 1 is awesome. I could care less about video quality, all of the points were heard and I was entertained. I posted my feedback in the youtube comments (I'm fpsanth).

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
I'm just about done the first part. It's really good, but I'm a little annoyed out that there are no shots with the two of you both in it. Well, not annoyed but it makes it feel a little off. Not much you can really do about it, but just a thought.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I think you guys should try to upload them all at the same time; too suspenseful trying to figure out what "Sesame Street" means on the table of contents.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Happy anniversary! :laugh:I really liked the first part, especially because it was great to actually SEE Panda be so angry lol. I can't wait for the rest, and everything that is sure to come in the future! :)

Edit: Omg I just watched the second part and I'm very surprised lol. Brawl for the DS would be EPIC.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Why are both Part 1 and Part 2 gone and I can only see Part 3 up?...

Someone care to explain the shenanigans?
Because YouTube's subscriptions page only shows the latest video from a person.

aiosufylisudvnlkashdflkusahdfh Panda has the same chair as me.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I'm just about done the first part. It's really good, but I'm a little annoyed out that there are no shots with the two of you both in it. Well, not annoyed but it makes it feel a little off. Not much you can really do about it, but just a thought.
It's something I hope to do in the future, just haven't figured out how to do so yet.

Darkurai

Smash Master
It's something I hope to do in the future, just haven't figured out how to do so yet.
Funds permitting, I'd suggest a three-camera set up. One for two shots, and one each for close-ups of you two. This would, of course, be difficult money-wise though.

EDIT: Fangz just watched Part 4 of the Pilot on our TV using the Wii Browser. This is now my preferred method of watching SMYN.

EDIT AGAIN: Dammit YouTube, why go down now of all times?

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
Funds permitting, I'd suggest a three-camera set up. One for two shots, and one each for close-ups of you two. This would, of course, be difficult money-wise though.
That's probably the most practical way to do it. Using a one camera set up (Scrubs!) would take so long and they would have to go over the same thing three times. However it is impractical at the same time due to the limitation you mentioned.

Good luck in med school Panda.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Now that I've seen all four I think the new layout is great. It's not as long but I feel like you're still getting more information in. I liked the fail section :laugh:

Also I think SMYN shirts should be mandatory for all recordings lol.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Great watch! Of course I do miss the 1 1/2 hour podcast, but this is nice too. My friends and I can live with the trade off. The background graphic could be fixed [but I'm sure you already know that]. The topics were also blocked out a little by the video of you and Panda. I don't particularly care for the cityscape background but I think that is just personal preference. I think the video should have a small border around it; it just doesn't look professional without such [again perhaps preference] Also, will there be easter eggs? Will there also be guest speakers? Will they be done live to watch or just recordings? Will there be Smash backroom podcasts, or will it just be general? [So many questions unanswered, lol] This looks like a great pilot episode, I look eagerly look forward to more.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Happy anniversary guys. I really liked the new format. The best thing about it is that it still feels like you are getting a full blown smyn. It didn't seem watered down or lacking anything. The only thing i can think of is to leave space for the music and other sounds instead of talking over them. It may have just been my crappy computer speakers (i will use headphone next time) but I had a hard time hearing you when they were playing. Not a big deal though. Great job guys, looking forward to future entries!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I love the video format. My only recommendation is that you both hand black sheets behind you to cover up the apartment junk. :p

Or you could obtain an expensive bed sheet that has awesome texture or smash characters printed all over it. :p

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
That was a great podcast, but are you intending on putting commercial breaks in? Everytime you said "next up" and you cut to the smyn logo, I was half expecting to see some kinda commercial show up. Hey, maybe you could make some money off of this thing! There goes your job search problems.

I really liked the way you sped up at the end 'PTI' style. On that note, I think you should use the Super Mario 'hurry up' theme in the background for that part. Y'know what I'm talking about. The kind that plays when your running out of time? It would be a nice touch.

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
I love the video format. My only recommendation is that you both hand black sheets behind you to cover up the apartment junk. :p

Or you could obtain an expensive bed sheet that has awesome texture or smash characters printed all over it. :p
Or a green one that can be edited later with fancy schmancy green screen effects.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
Good Stuff, especially for a pilot. There's a few things you may want to keep in mind though as you are now not just presenting audio but video as well. First off is the lighting. Whatever light source was in front of Youko (I think it was your computer monitor) caused some glare in your glasses that I found distracting. I think the easiest solution to fix this is to simply turn down the brightness on your computer. Other then that your room had pretty good lighting. For SamuraiPanda I would suggest adding a lamp or something to the right side of the screen to help control the shadow on your face. You can mess around with the position of the lamp to adjust how the shadow looks on your face to find something you like. If you want to get real technical with lighting you could try [WIKI="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_point_lighting"]3 Point Lighting[/WIKI].

Second is control the color in your background. The easiest way to fix this is to just add a sheet behind you like people have been suggesting. You can also add a sheet that is a different color then the cloths you are wearing and use it as a green screen effect (despite the name green screen it works with any color, it's just green is not as commonly worn). If you don't feel like this though at least try to wear clothing that makes you stand out from the room. For example with Youko. From what I can see in your room it has a pretty decent amount of red, pink, and brown. If you instead wore a greenish shirt instead of a maroonish shirt you would stick out more while still wearing stuff that agrees with the room. That's because green is the [WIKI="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complimentary_color"]Complimentary Color [/WIKI]of red. Of course you could always go with what SamuraiPanda did and wear black. It's pretty hard to not stick out in a room while wearing black.

I would say you have just a bit too much [WIKI="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom_(photographic_framing)"]Headroom[/WIKI]. You may want to angle the camera down just a bit to follow the [WIKI="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds"]Rule of Thirds[/WIKI]. Also, not sure how it would look entirely but consider rotating your chairs just a bit so your bodies are very slightly angled in towards the writing on the left hand side of the screen. I think it will give the illusion of making the topics more important.

Most of these may come down to personal preference so just mess around with the picture and find out what you think looks good.

The only other thing I would suggest is to not play the Price is Right fail theme EVERY time you address a new point for the fail segment. It got a little repetitive and old.

---
...Guess I am learning a few things from my 4 week summer class XD

(What's your favorite gun in the Conduit? Mine's the Strike Rifle. Instant kill if you hit the head with a charged shot.)

Darkurai

Smash Master
Hey Youko, might I ask why you added commercial breaks into the format?

Getting hopeful?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer

Getting hopeful?
I was confused a bit at first, but I actually kind of like the breaks. They act as good landing zones (if you're not watching all of it in one sitting). They were pleasant transitions between sections even if they were less than logical. XD

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411

Getting hopeful?
Not only does it show future flexibility, but it also gives us something new - BREAKS while recording and the ability to have TAKES. Unless people forget that we used to talk to two hours straight, as it if it were our only try.

Bad news guys. It looks like the twitter wasn't run by Nintendo of America.

How disappointing.
Poopy.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Not only does it show future flexibility, but it also gives us something new - BREAKS while recording and the ability to have TAKES. Unless people forget that we used to talk to two hours straight, as it if it were our only try.

Poopy.
I think that the commercial breaks should be where the video cuts off into a new one.

Or you could have actual joke commercials.

REL38

Smash Lord
Great stuff, Youko. I thought it was gonna be a more straight forward, "this and this happened" type coverage, but you don't disappoint by keeping the SMYN feel.

My only gripe is playing the "fail" clip for each one. Once at the beginning would suffice since it plays over whoevers talking.

It'd be great if you released a few competitive Brawl podcasts every now and then where it's just audio. Obviously, not monthly or anything like that, but releasing an exclusive episode dealing just with Brawl would be pretty cool if it covers somthing worthy, like covering Metaknights ban (whenever that happens) or talking with some of the top players views with Brawl and the tourney scene. Just a hopeful suggestion.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
Can I make a suggestion for a segment? Can you make a "Web Gem" segment for the most bad*** moments that happen in a match? Web Gems are from Baseball Tonight where people vote online for what they thought the most impressive defensive plays of the week were and the top 10 were shown on Sunday. It would be interesting if people submitted what they thought were the most epic moments in Smash/Games in general and you choose what you think are the best or you pick a few and people vote on them.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Hey, can somebody else voice their support on my idea for the background theme at the closing thoughts of the podcast? I think that they should play the Mario "hurry up" music at the end. It would really give the feel of a true video game podcast. Unless there are other ideas.

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
Bad news guys. Layton's SSB thing is a hoax.

"I should officially confirm this now for you all. Our Smash Bros. quips last week were merely jokes. Sorry to raise all of your hopes!"

Turns out that the Layton twitter and all the related characters weren't offically made by Nintendo after all, but rather game journalists from sites like Infendo. So much for that.

Top Bottom