• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should There Be A Rule For The Game's Music Setting?

What if 1 player plays best without music and the opponent plays best with music? Neither want the other's preference. What should happen?

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
I think they should play on whatever default music the stage is set to. If a player doesn't like it, they can always wear headphones or bring earplugs. Somewhat related, I don't think setups that play mismatched stage songs (20XX hackpack settings/modded stuff) should be tourney legal.

Hearing no music would help the player focus better. There's less information to take in and process. A player could still need to hear the game's audio because humans react to sounds faster than they can react to sights. Wearing earplugs would prevent them from hearing sounds which won't keep their reaction time low

Kadano

Magical Express
I think playing with 0 music volume should always be eligible. That’s how I’d handle it at tournaments at my home, at least.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
I actually can't focus if it's there isn't any background music (I'd listen to my own music if I had to play on a muted setup lol). That's a good point about audio cues and earplugs. I still think that playing with default settings would be the most fair. If you let people play on setups with no background music but with audio cues from attacks and such, then where does the line stop? Would people also be allowed to play on setups with modded stage colors because a player can focus better?

DualCats

Smash Ace
I prefer playing without music because I tend to rely on audio cues when it's possible. Having said that, it's never a big deal unless for some reason the game music has been turned up.

. . . I don't think setups that play mismatched stage songs (20XX hackpack settings/modded stuff) should be tourney legal.
Why?

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
I prefer playing without music because I tend to rely on audio cues when it's possible. Having said that, it's never a big deal unless for some reason the game music has been turned up.

Why?
Because then a similar argument can be made to the original question. What if certain players get pumped and play better when they listen to a certain song that normally isn't played on a stage? Like if player A plays better with a mismatched song and player B has the opposite preference, what should the ruling be?

DualCats

Smash Ace
That still seems like such an insignificant consideration. That's like saying you can only play facing west because seeing the sunset invigorates you. The ruling should be "get over it and stop being a *****."

I still think that playing with default settings would be the most fair. If you let people play on setups with no background music but with audio cues from attacks and such, then where does the line stop?
It stops at the point where it's it's everything can be done in the game without needing to mod the game/console

Kadano

Magical Express
If you let people play on setups with no background music but with audio cues from attacks and such, then where does the line stop? Would people also be allowed to play on setups with modded stage colors because a player can focus better?
I prevented this problem by splitting my Gamecube’s audio cable both to the CRT monitor’s speakers and to a 4-way headphone amplifier. That way, every player can plug their headphones to one of the amplifier outputs (which also has individual volume knobs). If they want to hear specific music, they can plug in another splitter to the output and hook their portable audio player or smartphone to it.

The headphone amplifier was 19€, the necessary adapters 4€. Cables another 5€. I’d like to see more hosts do this as playing with headphone provides the benefit of not being distracted by the audience, and this way doesn’t come with the usual detriment of losing the in-game audio cues.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think a 75-25 split (with sound effects being louder), is the best compromise. Anyone wishing to hear the music will still be able to, but sound effects which are much more relevant to the game at hand are the dominant sound. Whenever I get a TV with particularly wonky sound or if the mood just strikes me, I have been switching the settings to this. It also does wonders for noise pollution at tournaments, which was an issue Cactuar brought up a while back. It's really nice not having Dream Land blaring on the setup next to you when you're trying to hear your own TV's sounds or just not get a migraine after a couple hours of Melee.

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
If I play on Battlefield, I ask whoever I'm playing if it's okay with them if I restart the match if the Metal Battle music is playing and not the normal one. I started doing it after looking at my matches on there with the normal music playing, and then with the MB music playing, and saw that I did worse with the latter.
I also like playing with the music off when I play the CPU's or I'm practicing techs, since the music starts to give me a headache after a while.
So yes, I agree with certain rules about the in-game music.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I think a 75-25 split (with sound effects being louder), is the best compromise. Anyone wishing to hear the music will still be able to, but sound effects which are much more relevant to the game at hand are the dominant sound. Whenever I get a TV with particularly wonky sound or if the mood just strikes me, I have been switching the settings to this. It also does wonders for noise pollution at tournaments, which was an issue Cactuar brought up a while back. It's really nice not having Dream Land blaring on the setup next to you when you're trying to hear your own TV's sounds or just not get a migraine after a couple hours of Melee.
Must make more accounts to like this!

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
That still seems like such an insignificant consideration. That's like saying you can only play facing west because seeing the sunset invigorates you. The ruling should be "get over it and stop being a *****."
if only that ruling applied in most things in life eh?

Top Bottom