• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Sakurai direct the next Smash? OMG READ PLZ ;)

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
MAN! does ANYONE like SSE? no? just me? I thought it was cool they were silent(seeing as having some talk and some not would just be plain out weird) and while having the black knight or Eggman as a boss would've been really cool the original bosses and enemies are really cool (come on! primids that have a new face everyday!) smashbros isn't smashbros without sakurai.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Sakurai can only make good things on accident.

Aka, melee. Of course L-canceling was put in there, but so was wavedashing. He didn't expect it to be used the way we did though.

Does he have any children? I hope the condom broke when they were concieved

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
AHA! I'VE FOUND THE ANSWER THAT EVERYONE'S BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

Should Sakurai direct the next Smash game? Yes, but not alone. He needs a co-director, someone who's been with Nintendo and has directed a fighting game before...

Who is this man, you ask? Makoto Wada, director of Super Punch Out!!! on SNES. He should co-direct Smash 4, because I still stand by my statement that Smash wouldn't be Smash without Sakurai.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
The characters are unable to move as freely and effectively, recovering has been made easier, buffering has made timing less important, getting hit is not as detrimental (as you take one or two hits and then are back on even ground), and shielding has very few consequences.

How is that not dumbed down in comparsion? It's like saying that a school bus is not big in comparison to a punch buggy. It's not opinion, it is a direct comparison.

Ok, lets see..

Characters Are Unable To Move As Freely / Effectively. You would think people would interpret that as an opportunity to use their skill to move their characters as effectively as before despite adversity. In any case, making things difficuly, even Fake Difficulty (Tv Tropes for reference), is the opposite of Dumbed Down.

Recovering Has Been Made Easier. Easier =/= Dumbed Down. As a player of many fighting games, I happen to feel that easier recovery/Ukemi (depending on the game) doesn't really make things too simple, in fact, it makes things more fast and even paces, and keeps players on their toes.

Buffering Has Made Timing Less Important. I'm going to compare Buffering to the similar but distinct concept of Canceling... at which point lots of things go out the window. Such techniques usually don't detract, but actually add to the variety of skills and techniques that can be used. Once again, being able to adapt and use new techniques and gameplay takes more skill than throwing them to the wind.

Getting Hit Is Not As Detrimental. Umm... yeah... Taking more damage, thus lengthening the match, does not necessarily make it dumbed down. It just means that there is more one can do, and more one can fight, before being taken out. I hate comparing this game to other fighting games, because it's an extremely different game, but I'd like to point to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 as a game that greatly increased the damage players can take while multiplying the edge multiple times. That aside, not being able to take out your opponent as fast is never, ever, a detriment. It just means you can fight more.

Shielding Has Less Consequences. Well... I've never met anyone who Shields more than a two or three seconds a match anyway, and I've only ever seen one or two Shield break, so I can't really say anything about that.

Note, I'm trying to remain neutral in this (my stance is "Sakurai may have made a mistake or two, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing"), but I am trying to take opinion out of the picture. Almost everyone on this thread is voicing what is blatantly opinion as if it's solid fact... It's kind of annoying.

For example, ChromePirate's recent comment is completely opinion, of the kind that: "Wavedashing / L Canceling = Good, thus everything opposite that = Bad. On that line, if Sakurai doesn't want to move in that direction, he is a bad designer and isn't fit to do Smash." No matter how many people agree with that, it's still an opinion (and that's the truth) and it doesn't matter who uses that opinion or how many rally to that cause... what's judged to be good and bad isn't up to you.

As Bowser King said, I can't deny the truth, but I see very little truth here. Only what people think to be true. Whether or not you turn out to be right doesn't matter, at this point you're only assuming to be right, or, at the worst cases, think so much of yourself that you think what you assume is automatically right. Thankfully, only a few people on this thread are like that...

viparagon

Smash Ace
Jus timagine what it would be like if microsoft did it

I like easier recpvery. It makes gimping a lot more fun. In melee if you hit people off, you'd just sit there and weight for them to die. Edgegaurding is also more interesting due to the floatier phisics. You don't just pull off an aerial and die.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
My post isn't going to be as complex as some of the others, but here goes.

I wouldn't have a problem at all with Sakurai directing the next Smash game. He just needs to get a few things straight before he does. The fact that there is a competitive scene out there, and there will probably always be one is probably the biggest concern.

Some of the casual aspects also need a little fine tuning, although, I can't remember what any of those problems were...

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
You're not being reasonable. The "opinion versus fact" argument only goes so far.

Look at a Melee in it's entirety. Look at the full variety of techniques available to you. Consider the infinte complexities of the strategems at your disposal due to the very way the game was designed and compare that to Brawl. Watch a bunch of Melee match videos of high level players such as M2K, Ken, and PC Chris and compare the complexity and quality of strategies and tactics used in to those used in high level Brawl.

Now can you honestly tell me that there's an equality here? Can you really say that Brawl is as deep and varied as Melee?

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
You're not being reasonable. The "opinion versus fact" argument only goes so far.

Look at a Melee in it's entirety. Look at the full variety of techniques available to you. Consider the infinte complexities of the strategems at your disposal due to the very way the game was designed and compare that to Brawl. Watch a bunch of Melee match videos of high level players such as M2K, Ken, and PC Chris and compare the complexity and quality of strategies and tactics used in to those used in high level Brawl.

Now can you honestly tell me that there's an equality here? Can you really say that Brawl is as deep and varied as Melee?
There's no denying it's different. But my point is that different does not always mean unequal in quality. It just means... different. Just because it doesn't cater to your tastes (which is where opinion comes in), doesn't mean it's a horrible game or even inherently inferior.

I love your paraphrasing, by the way. Seriously, not trying to be passive aggressive, that was great. :laugh:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I like easier recpvery. It makes gimping a lot more fun. In melee if you hit people off, you'd just sit there and weight for them to die. Edgegaurding is also more interesting due to the floatier phisics. You don't just pull off an aerial and die.
First of all, in Melee you do not just hit someone off and wait for them to die. Did you even play Melee?

Secondly, if you pull off an aerial and die, you're doing it wrong. Don't use you sucking as an excuse for a game to be bad.

I mean, seriously, have you PLAYED Melee? Or watched any videos of pros playing? At all?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
There's no denying it's different. But my point is that different does not always mean unequal in quality. It just means... different. Just because it doesn't cater to your tastes (which is where opinion comes in), doesn't mean it's a horrible game or even inherently inferior.

I love your paraphrasing, by the way. Seriously, not trying to be passive aggressive, that was great. :laugh:
Yes, brawl is different. Different in a way that it suits casuals more then competitive players. Even the creator of the game feels brawl is casual. He tried as hard as he could to make it casual.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
As a player, he needs to be. For competative players, get over it. He had the game in his head, he knew everything in it before he began. He is a wonderful game maker, and before you want to be competative, you want to have fun. I think the game deserves every million it sells, it is one hell of a complete game. SSE is your opinion. I kinda liked it. It is such a step up from Melee, smash 4's single player will be flippin' amazing. If someone (or he) could take the idea of a side scroller, mixed with Nintendo Characters, and a decent storyline, that game could sell millions. Whatever he does, the game will be competative, it will be. If it is not, we can make it so. I am sure you saw all the threads about how Brawl should "High gravity only" as well as others. Give him a chance, step back, look at the game from a game POV. It is amazing, it is full, it is complete, and the best value for $50 ever.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
^ That is true...if you're just someone who likes fun games with nice graphics and potential for single and multiplayer enjoyment, if you'd rather sit around the TV with 3 friends and some pizza laughing 'til you're throat hurts than exploring the gameplay more deeply, discovering new techniques, and testing your pure skill against others like yourself. As a "fun game" or a "party game", Brawl is among the best of its kind.

But for unbiased, skill-based, may-the-best-man-win competition, Brawl is average at best. Not saying it can't be competitive, but Melee lends itself more to hardcore, high-stakes matches. Since I admittedly never played competitive Melee, I can't tell you why. Ask any Melee vet why Brawl is competitively inferior (but don't blame me if they lecture you on how everything in Brawl is inferior, right up to the graphics anf character selection).

Exia 00

Smash Champion
IMO if you want a completely new game that feels fresh then yes. If you want another game that has basicly the same metagame as brawl ( takes out the joy of discovering new things) that feels the same then no.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
No, is mentality is horrible. He should never be against a huge fanbase.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
AHA! I'VE FOUND THE ANSWER THAT EVERYONE'S BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

Should Sakurai direct the next Smash game? Yes, but not alone. He needs a co-director, someone who's been with Nintendo and has directed a fighting game before...

Who is this man, you ask? Makoto Wada, director of Super Punch Out!!! on SNES. He should co-direct Smash 4, because I still stand by my statement that Smash wouldn't be Smash without Sakurai.
Sakurai doesn't know what a fighting game IS.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
Without Sakuri smash would never have even been thought of. Yes, his ideas are usually in the right track but usually just don't quite reach what the potential was (Still no clue who or why put tripping in this game.) IMO Sakuri should stay make smash 4 then give it to anouther director like Miyamoto or someone else to truly make the game shine and fix anything they feel needs work that way it could probobly be more balance.

Amide

Smash Lord
Yes, he messed up big time, yes he added all those stupid things. But, he made SSBM, so saying he can't make a competitive game is false. Still, he's changed for the worse.

Wavekirby

Smash Journeyman
*sniff* NICE video btw, Roy was the first person I played with in melee. after that. The next day I bought the game. I miss roy :(
I know, Roy was always my favorite character and I stuck with him all the way through melee, and now... Well as long as Sakurai puts Roy and Mewtwo back in the game I'll still probably end up buying it!:laugh:

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Roy is still the shizzle, but now to the subject at hand. I do not think he direct the next ssb, just cause I'm not a casual gamer. I know that we ( competitive gamers) make up less then 10% of the people who bought the game. But 3-4 years down the line, we will be the ones still playing the game.

eagles FTW!!!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Not to mention that pleasing us does not mean displeasing casual gamers. He could please 90% by targeting casual gamers, or he can please 100% by targeting competitive gamers (as casual gamers won't notice the difference).

Cenedar

Smash Ace
This is a not a question easily answered.

On one hand, Sakurai brought us SSB for the Nintendo 64 and Melee for the GCN. Both of which were fantastic games. And I also think Brawl is my favorite game on the Wii (tied with GH3).

On the other hand, Brawl isn't perfect. While I generally love it, I will agree that the stage builder was SEVERELY limited, online was not handled well at all, and the Subspace Emissary, while on the whole I enjoyed it, did run a little long (stupid great maze...)

But should a couple smallish errors be enough to exclude Sakurai from the next installment of his own brainchild?

I would prefer to say no, myself. I can understand there are some parts of Brawl that did disappoint, but I still LOVE the game.

I personally want Sakurai to come back, polish what was in the right direction but just kinda fell short, and fix what went completely wrong, and if he feels like indulging us with some awesome new characters and stages, well... more power to him ^-^

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord

As a competitive game, Melee's complexity allows it to rank among the greats like Street Fighter and Guilty Gear.

Brawl will never reach that point. A mostly static metagame like the one developing around Brawl will never be widely taken seriously. As a competitive player looking for an uncanny yet complex game, I hope someone without Sakurai's loser mindset directs the next Smash game.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
As a player, he needs to be. For competative players, get over it. He had the game in his head, he knew everything in it before he began. He is a wonderful game maker, and before you want to be competative, you want to have fun. I think the game deserves every million it sells, it is one hell of a complete game. SSE is your opinion. I kinda liked it. It is such a step up from Melee, smash 4's single player will be flippin' amazing. If someone (or he) could take the idea of a side scroller, mixed with Nintendo Characters, and a decent storyline, that game could sell millions. Whatever he does, the game will be competative, it will be. If it is not, we can make it so. I am sure you saw all the threads about how Brawl should "High gravity only" as well as others. Give him a chance, step back, look at the game from a game POV. It is amazing, it is full, it is complete, and the best value for $50 ever.
Were you bad at melee?

What I don't really understand is the argument telling people to 'get used to Brawl cuz its a new game." why should we have to relearn everything? Throw away what we worked for before? This isn't the change from GTA1 to Vice City, people. Of course not everything should carry over, but why slow the gamepace down so much? Why make shielding and recovery so much easier?

Oh, right, because it made him more money. Imo, he should be there, but I agree with the co-director idea.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Sakurai doesn't know what a fighting game IS.
Might I suggest Street Fighter 4 if you want a straight fighting game. I hear it's amazing, though we'll all have to wait till March, I'm told...

As for the Smash Series, part of the point has been it's unique customizability and innovative design, and it's offbeat way of approaching the fighting game genre. Come to think of it, Smash, in all it's incarnations, proves that a fighting game isn't as rigid a genre as people come to think.

As I said Different =/= Inherently Inferior. Just different.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Eh, I'd rather have Capcom direct teh next Smash Bros.

Think of teh combos. =0
That would be crazy, but I would be looking forward to the meta game stuff. It sucks that I had put years into getting dececnt at melee, and all the things that made me okay, were taken out made me wanna cry. If Capcom made it, teh combos would be soooooooooooooooo cool.

ShinGaruda

Smash Journeyman
I love Brawl very, very much. I've had little time to play it due to school, but otherwise I play it a lot.

I would really like Sakurai to return. All I hope for is no tripping (it's not that big of a deal to me, it's just stupid), less crap that nobody cares about, characters SLIGHTLY better-balanced, and a better online mode. Lack of L-canceling and wavedashing isn't a problem for me, but Brawl didn't really introduce many new techniques.

And I don't mean to offend anybody, but while I do like SSE, its replay value is very low for me. The Great Maze is too tedious, specifically. =P

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
I haven't read everyone else's post, so i might be posting what someone else has already said, but i can't be bothered to read 88 or so posts on pretty much the same thing. In my opinion, even if Sakurai was to not take charge of the next Smash Brothers, how would that change the non-competitive theme? It fact it could continue either way. He should stay in charge of the game, his views might be bad for us competitive players, but that's exactly what he wanted, and he did it well. The game itself is still enjoyable, of course it's not as fun in competitions granted, but overall it's a very entertaining game, and that's what it's meant to be, entertainment. The Wii/Gamecube/N64, really wasn't made to be a competitive gaming system, considering the few they have that are competitive games (i.e Capcom vs SNK 2, Turok? o.o) Really are for different systems just ported to Gamecube for accessibility. Sakurai is very innovative and has many ideas towards Smash Brothers, i mean who would have thought of tripping in the first place?

He gets more money appealing towards the entertainment side of brawl than the competitive side. Besides, it's still competitive regardless just because it's a fighting game, sure there's less technical terms like wavedashing and such, but there's still match-ups, still strats for each character, a new power shielding system that should be taken highly advantage of for good gameplay, and chances are, even though he's goign to be more leaned towards entertainment, he'll add more things that competitive people would enjoy about the game. Honestly i never would've entered the brawl/melee scene if brawl wasn't as easily playable as it was. Anyways long story short i feel Sakurai should stick with with Smash because quite frankly he's doing a great job.

Top Bottom