• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Nintendo make an Animal Crossing for the Wii U?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
This is a bit off-topic, but this is Villagers very first appearance on the Wii U. While Nintendo has decided to focus on Metroid, Star Fox U, Zelda U, and Project Giant Robot. There had been no news of a new AC.

New Leaf was so good.... It aged pretty well, but I think it's time for Nintendo to focus on AC for the Wii U.

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
It would be a good addition but AC is a game that excel when there is a good userbase for the console. Its not a game people usually buy a console for but its a good 2nd game to have.

I think they need to focus on the games you mentionned and probably go for AC during a low sales time (like summer) for 2016

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It aged pretty well
I'm not sure if you can say it has aged well less than two years after release because the game hasn't aged much. Also, I think that AC should wait its turn for a new release. Zelda is a possible console-seller, Metroid hasn't had a new release for 5 years, Star Fox hasn't had a new console release for 10 years, and I admittadly don't know much about Project Robot. A game like AC whose games are all basically the same in gameplay needs the previous game to have been out a while for the consumers to justify buying another one in the series.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
AC WiiU should be happening soon, I can feel it.
Won't be able to get it, I really need a WiiU

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I read an article saying that Nintendo announced that they would release an Animal Crossing game on Wii U in 2015. That article was then edited to say that Nintendo said they would released news about AC in 2015. So my hopes are up.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
I got to admit as much as I liked to play AC on the handhelds I like the games more on console, so yes I would love to see a AC on console but when it will be coming out, I'd say either announced at E3 this year or in a nintendo direct near the end of the year. People want this game to come on Wii-U so I hope nintendo can bring the goods (then again people hae been asking for a F-Zero game for years, so I guess my last point doesn't really work well.)

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I too want the game on Wii U so badly (partly because I don't own an 3DS) really badly. How large do you think it would have to be? The possibilities are pretty endless with this game with the amount of diverse content that you can fit in (and this game pretty much requires diverse content). I'd love if they got the characters to say something new every day for at least 2 years. My only hope is that it doesn't take up much GB. I have only Smash and Mario Kart installed. I'm saving the rest for AC.

MrFilibrawler

Smash Rookie
I can see a Wii U version happening, and the Animal Crossing Plaza showed it can be possible.

My problem is that Animal Crossing: New Leaf is still a popular game at the moment, how can they top being the mayor and adding quite a few more features on top of that? You're already getting rid of the ability to take it on the go, what can we put in to not make it an issue? Anyone got ideas?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I can see a Wii U version happening, and the Animal Crossing Plaza showed it can be possible.

My problem is that Animal Crossing: New Leaf is still a popular game at the moment, how can they top being the mayor and adding quite a few more features on top of that? You're already getting rid of the ability to take it on the go, what can we put in to not make it an issue? Anyone got ideas?
Oh wow, I forgot I made this thread. Lol.

I say that we should have more control in PWP's.

A freaking yield sign doesn't require 500 square feet around it.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
My guess is that we will hear something about a new Animal Crossing for the Wii U at E3, and it will be released some time around the holiday season or early 2016.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I would love to see a new Animal Crossing for the Wii U, BUT only if they put as much effort into it as they did with New Leaf. New Leaf was a great effort, I still see a lot of room for the franchise to grow. But if they went all lazy and just released a watered down version like they did with City Folk, then no thanks. I won't be buying another City Folk.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I'd be so up for Animal Crossing Wii U! My only problem is I don't play the console versions of AC as much as the portable ones. I stopped playing City Folk/Let's Go to the City after a year, and I'm still playing Wild World and New Leaf now (although I didn't realize how bad Wild World's frame rate is.)

So yeah! I would love Animal Crossing on the Wii U! Just take it up a notch from NL!
I say that we should have more control in PWP's.

A freaking yield sign doesn't require 500 square feet around it.
I completely agree. If I can park lamp posts next to benches in the next one, I'll be happy.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
How about instead of being the mayor you get to have your own career? Think about it, say you start a clothes shop, call it Wendy's wearables or something, you make your own designs and attract villagers to come to your store, your store will grow and grow like how Timmy and Tommy's store eventually turned into the T&T Emporium. You can hire villagers to work in your store for a salary of bells, you'll get loads of profit from sales the more your career grows, you can invest in your friend's company/business/store and get even more bells, you can be a doctor, an archaeologist, a real estate agent, anything you want while still doing everything else you love in Animal Crossing (being the mayor is sweet though)

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
How about instead of being the mayor you get to have your own career? Think about it, say you start a clothes shop, call it Wendy's wearables or something, you make your own designs and attract villagers to come to your store, your store will grow and grow like how Timmy and Tommy's store eventually turned into the T&T Emporium. You can hire villagers to work in your store for a salary of bells, you'll get loads of profit from sales the more your career grows, you can invest in your friend's company/business/store and get even more bells, you can be a doctor, an archaeologist, a real estate agent, anything you want while still doing everything else you love in Animal Crossing (being the mayor is sweet though)
IDK about that idea though. It would ruin the feel of AC, if this was a spin-off AC, then it may be a good idea.

finalark

SNORLAX
I never could get into the series, aside from kinda maybe sorta the first one. But if it would help diversify the Wii U's library I'd be all for it.

Also:

While Nintendo has decided to focus on Metroid, Star Fox, Zelda 2015, and Project Giant Robot. There had been no news of a new AC.
While Nintendo has decided to focus on Metroid, Star Fox, Zelda 2015, and Project Giant Robot.
While Nintendo has decided to focus on Metroid, Star Fox, Zelda 2015
While Nintendo has decided to focus on Metroid, Star Fox
While Nintendo has decided to focus on Metroid
While Nintendo has decided to focus on Metroid
Where did you hear this wonderful news?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm almost positive this will be mentioned at e3. Makes sense with Happy Home Builder releasing and the cards coming out as well. I think Animal Xing HD will be in our homes soon enough.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
An Animal Crossing Wii U is basically guaranteed to come out. It usually takes 3-4 years for a full Animal Crossing game to come out. New Leaf was released in 2013, so we should hear about the new game in late 2016 at the latest. Probably will be a big selling title towards the end of the Wii U's life cycle if the NX is anything to watch out for. Oh, and if Animal Crossing Plaza is anything to go by, they wouldn't have just remodeled all those villagers for nothing!

Erstwhile, Happy Home Designer should tide us over. It's nothing but the interior decor aspect of the game without the rest of the AC formula's monotony! That's gonna get my creative senses tingling.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'm not much of an Animal Crossing fan, but I still like to see another game come out for the Wii U. Not too sure if they'll release the game this year, but it might next year since there's still a focus on games slated for this year. Haven't played New Leaf much, but if there was another Animal Crossing game on the Wii U, it should take cues from that game. Wild World & City Folk felt pretty underwhelming to me.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Well, I'd be pleased if Animal Crossing continued its reign on the Wii U, simply because I like relaxing while playing a relaxing game; me with my imperfect eyesight and my laziness makes holding the DS up too taxing for a game lacking a lot of action. I'd rather lay down on the couch and cross with animals on a large flat-screen.

Also, I'm not getting a 3DS/2DS anytime soon (probably never).

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Will it happen - Yes
Should it happen - No (IMO)
Personally I feel the AC series is best on a portable system, especially after AC:NL. I have played every AC game since and I have enjoyed the hell out of them, but they always felt right on portable systems, mostly because they are designed to be a pick-up and play type game. Either way I am still going to love the game no matter which it come out on.
:bubblebobble:

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Have you ever played the original Animal Crossing? It was just as addictively soothing. City Folk's kinda a bad example.

On the same coin, some people feel that it's too loathsome trying to play a relaxing, immersive game on a portable system due to the fact that it's tiring trying to keep the system in your hands and keeping track of things on a tinier screen. They prefer home consoles because you can relax from watching the TV at a constant angle, much like how people veg out on cable TV.

Personally, I think the series works great on both handhelds and consoles. I'm especially excited to see how far they can go with Wii U tech.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm especially curious to see how they will expand and improve (hopefully) online play.
I'd be fine with random people visiting once in a while as long as they don't shake my trees and steal my peaches.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'd be fine with random people visiting once in a while as long as they don't shake my trees and steal my peaches.
They can take fruit, I don't care. Just don't steal my hybrids and destroy my town, punks.

Last edited:

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
I'm especially curious to see how they will expand and improve (hopefully) online play.
If they some how made the game a lot more online based, like being able to combine towns or something, that would be amazing

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I'm almost positive this will be mentioned at e3. Makes sense with Happy Home Builder releasing and the cards coming out as well. I think Animal Xing HD will be in our homes soon enough.
I know not much has been announced about Happy Home Builder (which I am most certainly not interested in), but is there anything else besides decorating houses? I am a bit confused in what direction Nintendo is heading with this game. HHB seems like a quickly-made game just to continue the Animal Crossing series... but I may be wrong. I would hope one could run around and do chores like in the previous Animal Crossings...

Do you have any information on this game I may not know about?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I know not much has been announced about Happy Home Builder (which I am most certainly not interested in), but is there anything else besides decorating houses? I am a bit confused in what direction Nintendo is heading with this game. HHB seems like a quickly-made game just to continue the Animal Crossing series... but I may be wrong. I would hope one could run around and do chores like in the previous Animal Crossings...

Do you have any information on this game I may not know about?
http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/1/8328145/animal-crossing-happy-home-designer-nintendo-3ds-card-amiibo

This is basically everything I know about the game. I don't think much more information has been released as of yet.

I'm not that excited for it either if that is all it is.

Corginado

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corginado
Oh they most certainly will work on an Animal Crossing soon for the Wii U since it would make no sense not to.
It's become one of their notably successful franchises.

The only thing I'm hoping is that they find some more clever ways to mix it up, and make it "feel" like a different experience. Becoming mayor was a nice taste from the status quo and an excellent step in the right direction!

And here's one thing I was thinking... what if they let people choose to play as an animal?
Instead of simply having animal neighbors and only having a villager as an option, it would be cool to have even a few other options like swagging into town as a Wolf or a Cat or something! It surely would make heading to other people's towns more fun, don't you think?
And of course, we'd get to use all the puns.~

"Hey Alpha, wanna come and try lion around my town?"
"Nah bro. My train station is broke, not sure howl I get there."
"Ah dang, really?? You cat to be kitten me! Well it's cool man, lets paws on that idea for now."

And PLEASE Animal Crossing U, let us CHOOSE to keep a resident we want there.

Wouldn't it be amazing if there was a golden house in every town, where you could give one resident the key and while they live there that resident will NEVER move and even had special best friend dialogue with you? That would be pretty awesome since we all have those villagers we cross our eyelashes hoping they never move. Being able to securely keep even one of them would be godlike.

Also we shouldn't be forced to keep villagers we don't want there, or having 3 frogs and 3 penguins or some jazz. There should be a "Send [insert resident] on an amazing paid trip~" option.
Or at least give us a chance to select perferred areas where those villagers drop their road blocks homes.

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Oh they most certainly will work on an Animal Crossing soon for the Wii U since it would make no sense not to.
It's become one of their notably successful franchises.

The only thing I'm hoping is that they find some more clever ways to mix it up, and make it "feel" like a different experience. Becoming mayor was a nice taste from the status quo and an excellent step in the right direction!

And here's one thing I was thinking... what if they let people choose to play as an animal?
Instead of simply having animal neighbors and only having a villager as an option, it would be cool to have even a few other options like swagging into town as a Wolf or a Cat or something! It surely would make heading to other people's towns more fun, don't you think?
And of course, we'd get to use all the puns.~

"Hey Alpha, wanna come and try lion around my town?"
"Nah bro. My train station is broke, not sure howl I get there."
"Ah dang, really?? You cat to be kitten me! Well it's cool man, lets paws on that idea for now."

Wouldn't it be amazing if there was a golden house in every town, where you could give one resident the key and while they live there that resident will NEVER move and even had special best friend dialogue with you? That would be pretty awesome since we all have those villagers we cross our eyelashes hoping they never move. Being able to securely keep even one of them would be godlike.

Also we shouldn't be forced to keep villagers we don't want there, or having 3 frogs and 3 penguins or some jazz. There should be a "Send [insert resident] on an amazing paid trip~" option.
Or at least give us a chance to select perferred areas where those villagers drop their road blocks homes.
I love all of this. I would say that we should start off as a human Villager for Mayor, and the option to be an animal for the remaining 3 Villagers (or more.)

I would hope there would be another area, like how there was the Island in New Leaf. Maybe a carnival? Or even a trip into the mountains where it is always snowing? Animal Crossing has endless possibilities.

If Animal Crossing (or Paper Mario :upsidedown:) for Wii U were to come out, I'd buy a Wii U right away. Until then, I am not interested in the system until Nintendo can release some amazing new games.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
If they do, I hope they fix the public works projects. They were cool, but it's just the fact that the villagers seems to BARELY HELP OUT AT ALL. It took months to make one bridge because they contributed about a total off 50 bells to a 100,000 bell project

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If they do, I hope they fix the public works projects. They were cool, but it's just the fact that the villagers seems to BARELY HELP OUT AT ALL. It took months to make one bridge because they contributed about a total off 50 bells to a 100,000 bell project
I'm guessing you barely contributed as well? It never took me more than a day to pay one off. All you need is an "Offshore bank account" (Island bells).

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I'm guessing you barely contributed as well? It never took me more than a day to pay one off. All you need is an "Offshore bank account" (Island bells).
Well I was a noob ok. And I didn't know a fast way to get 100,000 bells

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'll outline my idea for what would make a damn good Animal Crossing game another time, along with other details that would enhance the experience functionally & cosmetically. Gotta keep my time here short and swanky for today.

This idea sound good on paper. I think it would have a terrible payoff in the end. Trust me, you aren't the only person I've seen suggest this.

For this feature to have the best effect, you need to have the option to edit textures onto preset models for your species of choice. You're basically creating one time-consuming, painstaking UV map right as you start the game. Who's going to put up with that? Oh, and don't get me started on using preset designs or turning it into an avatar editor. Those would go to much better use making new villagers than having everyone walk around as formulaic hodgepodges of preset pieces.

Plus, it breaks the immersion that Animal Crossing has posited since its inception. You're the exotic human moving into a town with all these strange anthromorphs. You're the clash against all these unique, quirky residents. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't want a departure from this now that the Villager is starting to become their own character. Imagine how unappealing making a human character would be when you open up the door to the other villager species.

Corginado said:

Just about every player either has that villager they start off with that they never want to let go of or they have a villager they've dreamed of staying with throughout the series. Having a golden house would be a welcome addition. That, or have your bestest-buddy villager bunk with you when you expand enough and grow a close enough friendship to them! This would solve the problem of having an extra house take up town space too.

Just imagine, coming back to relax in my house after a long day's work. I walk in to see Static (my personal favorite <3) chilling back, greeting me at the door. It would be fun to have more interactive, endearing conversations with them than the rest of the villagers too. Maybe they could even have their own room separate from all your expansions and roam around the house.

Top Bottom