• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutter

Smash Champion
THC, you are gravely mistaken.

I said Sheik had more LOL matchups than D3. I did NOT say those matchups were worse than D3s. Read the post again please.

Quantity, not quality.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
THC, you are gravely mistaken.

I said Sheik had more LOL matchups than D3. I did NOT say those matchups were worse than D3s. Read the post again please.

Quantity, not quality.
Yes, I understand. I was trying to emphasize Gimpy the expert Bowser's point - That the D3 matches are the most LOLiest. His comment doesn't make sense out of context, but neither does yours out of a larger context. Sorry that your meaning got lost in the transition.

EDIT: Shadowlink, your just not listening anymore.

The best Bowser said that D3 destroys his character harder than Sheik. I don't know how else you can quantify the amount one character dominates another, especially when the number of wins for the disadvantaged in both matchups is so insignificantly small.

cutter

Smash Champion
Yes, I understand. I was trying to emphasize Gimpy the expert Bowser's point - That the D3 matches are the most LOLiest. His comment doesn't make sense out of context, but neither does yours out of a larger context. Sorry that your meaning got lost in the transition.
Umm... the meaning is perfectly clear. Your reading comprehension just fails.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Umm... the meaning is perfectly clear. Your reading comprehension just fails.
What I mean is I know EXACTLY what you meant. However, I was pointing out what Gimpy meant. Gimpy's point was used in context and I used your post to prove it, but it would destract from Gimpy's point to emphasize the exact meaning of your post, which was irrelivent to my point.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The best Bowser said that D3 destroys his character harder than Sheik. I don't know how else you can quantify the amount one character dominates another, especially when the number of wins for the disadvantaged in both matchups is so insignificantly small.
They both are 100-0 in both games. You can't get any worse than 100-0 unless you are getting at something else.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
They both are 100-0 in both games. You can't get any worse than 100-0
Yes, yes you can.

100-0 simply means that the matchup is so broken, it is no longer quantifiable under the current matchup system. As in, the current matchup system is useless in determining the relative brokenness of two 100-0 matchups to each other. Technically, the only way to compare the two when numbers fail would be through the opinions of people who have been on the bad end of both matchups. Gimpyfish has been on the bad end of the Sheik matchup, and he says the D3 matchup is even worse. Since numbers fail, and he knows the 100-0 Sheik matchup against Bowser, he is one of the only sources of reliable information on how that matchup compares to another, such as the D3 matchup. However, an even more reliable source would be someone who plays Bowser in both melee and Brawl. However, to compare the Sheik matchup to the D3 matchup, it is necesary to find people who have played 100-0 Sheik matches, as they can compare from first hand experience what the term "100-0" fails to quantify.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
i have no idea what you guys are talking about, how sheik got into this convo, and how it applies to whether d3's CG should be banned or not...

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yes, yes you can.
you better have a really good reasoning.
100-0 simply means that the matchup is so broken, it is no longer quantifiable under the current matchup system. As in, the current matchup system is useless in determining the relative brokenness of two 100-0 matchups to each other. Technically, the only way to compare the two when numbers fail would be through the opinions of people who have been on the bad end of both matchups.
This makes my head hurt.
That is wrong for several reasons.
1. The matchup ratios reflect the chance of a character winning. So 60:40 maans the character at an advantage has a 60 chance of winning.
100-0 means the character at a disadvantage has absolutely no chance of winning.
It does not at all mean that the matchup is so bad that it cannot be measured.
To say such a thing is a logical fallacy because of the fact that the matchup ratios have an infinite amount of numbers from 0 to 100.
If you have a 0 chance of winning then you have a 0 chance.
These numbers measure according to high level play WITHOUT the factors of mindgames and human error.

Which leads to the second part.
Gimpyfish has been on the bad end of the Sheik matchup, and he says the D3 matchup is even worse. Since numbers fail, and he knows the 100-0 Sheik matchup against Bowser, he is one of the only sources of reliable information on how that matchup compares to another, such as the D3 matchup. However, an even more reliable source would be someone who plays Bowser in both melee and Brawl. However, to compare the Sheik matchup to the D3 matchup, it is necesary to find people who have played 100-0 Sheik matches, as they can compare from first hand experience what the term "100-0" fails to quantify.
The experience of a person is the resut of inductive reasoning. This takes into account mindgames and several other factors that cannot be taken into account by the matchup ratios.

This is why if a matchup is 100-0 it can still be won because of the fact that in real life experiences, things such as mindgames come into account.
So if GimpyFish says it hits harder it means that either the matchup ratio is wrong, or simply because of his own inductive reasoning.

It is as simple as that, 100-0 matchup ratios do not take into account factors such as mindgames so it is very possible for a matchup to feel worse.

Again you cannot get anything worse than 100-0 which is why opinions are useless in the face of fact.
That is why when gimpy says "Sheik ***** bowser less than DDD does." it is the result of all those factors that are not capable of being measured by the matchup ratio. Not because the matchup ratio cannot be measured, but because of those real life factors that are not taken into account or rather, cannot be taken into account.

It feels worse because of that experience not because it actually is worse.

RDK

Smash Hero
Yes, yes you can.

100-0 simply means that the matchup is so broken, it is no longer quantifiable under the current matchup system. As in, the current matchup system is useless in determining the relative brokenness of two 100-0 matchups to each other. Technically, the only way to compare the two when numbers fail would be through the opinions of people who have been on the bad end of both matchups. Gimpyfish has been on the bad end of the Sheik matchup, and he says the D3 matchup is even worse. Since numbers fail, and he knows the 100-0 Sheik matchup against Bowser, he is one of the only sources of reliable information on how that matchup compares to another, such as the D3 matchup. However, an even more reliable source would be someone who plays Bowser in both melee and Brawl. However, to compare the Sheik matchup to the D3 matchup, it is necesary to find people who have played 100-0 Sheik matches, as they can compare from first hand experience what the term "100-0" fails to quantify.
Stop pulling random matchup ratios out of your *** and claiming that Gimpyfish whispered it into your ear. 100-0 means there's absolutely no chance of the other guy winning whatsoever; worse even than if you unplugged his controller at the start of the match, because technically you could still shave your stocks off by SD'ing a bunch of times and the other guy could still win.

Honestly, you don't even know what you're talking about.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
so while we're still on the topic of 100-0 ratios, can we at least thread the CG back into the discussions?

in a matchup where one character has 100% chance of winning and one has a 0, mathematically it means the latter character will not win. Zilch means zilch. And im usually against banning things but sometims i feel like the entire character is put to waste if he is a hundred percent useless in a particular fight.

Do you guys think a ban is justified if it evens out a 100-0 matchup ratio?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
i love how you support your arguement with so many points, i dont even know what to say
everything has been said on both sides already. if he feels like voicing his opinion you should know why he supports the ban by looking at some of the pro ban arguments. its not like anything we say now will contribute after so many pages. enough sarcasm

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'm sorry, and you know this how? Smash aside, have you any statistics of European fighting game players vs. Ameican ones?
Why smash aside? This is as dumb as brinboy saying can someone tell me why MK wins against snake but don't include gimping which is a huge factor. Plus we're talking about smash I don't actually think other fighters should be involved in here.

I've been apart of Competitive gaming for years. I know more about how Competitive gaming works than most people will know unless they study it for 3 or so years.

I know enough about how Smash works that I can just read about it and the test it out myself. Even if I'm unable to actually do some things, it doesn't mean I cannot know about how, know how they work and argue the pros and cons of such and such.

Sports coaches are rarely if ever able to outdo their protogés, yet they are the ones people listen to, they are the ones people trust to instruct others. Because they have the knowledge. My or Europe's skill in this and that has no relevance. Under we're all living under a rock and not watching American videos or reading up on strats and techs on international forums, even if we're unable to do what the best in America can do, we still know about them.

We still know how Comptitive gaming works, how Competitive fighting games works, etc., etc., etc. The "You're in Europe!" and "You don't play Brawl seriously!" arguments don't fly.
They don't fly because you say so? This isn't football either haven't you noticed that gamers don't make millions by just playing?

You even agreed that the U.S. smash tourney scene is at a higher level than Europe's.

I play the game plenty. I just don't spend hundreds of dollars traveling for it.

Since when do I not test things out? What could you possibly have to support this ludicrous assumption/claim/lie?
Since you started talking about banning/ not banning things in tournaments. To support this well there's this entire thread.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
yes, ratios are stupid. most things are one this board...
i dont think banning the chaingrab will do anything. D3's cg isnt too broken as some of you claim
just do what other people and me used to do when wobbling and insane IC cg's used to exist (not that they dont now)
Just dont get grabbed

and counterpick different stages

also, an alternative, boring as heck though it may be, is to ledge stall. but, dont do that

Luigi player

Smash Master
yes, ratios are stupid. most things are one this board...
i dont think banning the chaingrab will do anything. D3's cg isnt too broken as some of you claim
just do what other people and me used to do when wobbling and insane IC cg's used to exist (not that they dont now)
Just dont get grabbed
Stop saying that, it's impossible to not get grabbed by a good player.
Especially from a Dedede. It's easy to avoid ICs' grab, because it's range sucks, but Dedede has SO ****ing good range o_O I play Diddy and DK and I usually grab people maybe 10 times per stock with Diddy, and probably about 4 times with DK. If I'm grab happy I could double the amount easily. It's not that hard to get a grab really.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Stop saying that, it's impossible to not get grabbed by a good player.
Especially from a Dedede. It's easy to avoid ICs' grab, because it's range sucks, but Dedede has SO ****ing good range o_O I play Diddy and DK and I usually grab people maybe 10 times per stock with Diddy, and probably about 4 times with DK. If I'm grab happy I could double the amount easily. It's not that hard to get a grab really.
And another thing, D3 game is almost based around his grab game. So most D3's will grab you during a match

Edit: I just found out that my ex girl from 8th grade is smoking hot.... I feel bad lol

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
ahh i see.

was this topic brought up to argue against banning the CG? you know, since 3 characters who were thought to have no way out actually do?

point is, DK and bowser are still screwed lol
One of the most employed arguments is that it renders the characters he can infinite useless against him. If you're (not you, "you" in a more "people"-sense) going to go by this logic, you can only argue that 2 characters will be rendered useless by it since the 3rd character is King DeDeDe himself.

And he won't be useless against himself since both sides can infinite each other.

Well, I'd say that the problem is counterpicking this is too easy.

Sheik never had matchups that were this simple.

EDIT: whoops, double post.
She had plenty that were almost as simple. Also, the line is apparently "Slightly worse than Sheik" for what is bannable?

Well, this actually would itself need to be tested. Mind you, this is just theory fighter, but if we go by the absolute most stringent ruleset of using no stages where chance is a factor while allowing the stage slashing, each player would be allowed to remove a stage of his choice. One of them would probably remove Shadow Moses Island, because it is too powerful against his character. Thus, the stage would only be a factor when both players wanted it to be a factor.
We can only ban one stage each. That means that if we allow broken stages to stay, there will be plenty of stages left we cannot stage ban.

It's not theory fighter at all. This is not the first Smash game. We've been through walls and walk-offs before. We know how they work, we know what they will do. We do not need to give it another 2 years each time a new Smash game comes out to re-test things. And I just told you all of this, but you conveniently left it out of your reply.

Actually, because of the radical differences between Shadow Moses Island, Battlefield, Final Destination, and Luigi's Mansion, I am very curious how a tournament restricted to these stages would turn out.
You're arguing "diversity for the sake of interesting development" now. Have you no respect for Competitive gaming?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why smash aside? This is as dumb as brinboy saying can someone tell me why MK wins against snake but don't include gimping which is a huge factor. Plus we're talking about smash I don't actually think other fighters should be involved in here.
Because I was talking about how I had insight into every single major Competitive fighting scene there was. You jumped in with "You're in Europe". This indicates you are referring to my insight into fighting scenes other than Smash. If you only mean Smash, then why must I live in the U.S. to have any insight into the scene? I know how Smash the game works, I know how the scene works, I know what's going on.

I can view videos, read stuff on SWF and play the game in Europe and still know all this.

They don't fly because you say so? This isn't football either haven't you noticed that gamers don't make millions by just playing?
No, because it's irrelevant and inconsequential.

You even agreed that the U.S. smash tourney scene is at a higher level than Europe's.
Being better at Smash =/= Knowing more about the game and Competitive gaming

Many players are better than me in practice, but worse than me in theory. This is this and that is that. The fact that I'm not one of the best Brawl players in the world has no bearing on my ability to debate thing such as this.

Since you started talking about banning/ not banning things in tournaments. To support this well there's this entire thread.
How does this have anything to do with the whether or not I play the game or test things out?

Seriously, 90% of your reply to me had absolutely nothing to do with what you were replying to.

You: You don't play this game. You don't test things out!
Me: What do you have to support that? I do play the game, I do test things out.
You: Since you started talking about banning/ not banning things in tournaments. To support this well there's this entire thread

What does that even have to do with anything?! That doesn't even make sense.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
I find match ups ratio's portrayed on the boards to often be exaggerated, inaccurate, and usually uneducated.
Well, I'll educate you. Literal infinites on 5 characters. Where skill is emphasized upon When DDD can do 1 action, instead of using a full arsenal of attacks, like every other character has to do to win a match.

You might argue that Falco has a chaingrab->spike on some characters, but Falco's spike can usually be avoided if the player can DI, and the IC's have an infinite of their own. Honestly, the Infinite for the IC's is extremely hard to pull off... (Insane input timing and also short grab range) While DDD's is fairly simple, and has the biggest grab range in the game (non-tether).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well, I'll educate you. Literal infinites on 5 characters. Where skill is emphasized upon When DDD can do 1 action, instead of using a full arsenal of attacks, like every other character has to do to win a match.

You might argue that Falco has a chaingrab->spike on some characters, but Falco's spike can usually be avoided if the player can DI, and the IC's have an infinite of their own. Honestly, the Infinite for the IC's is extremely hard to pull off... (Insane input timing and also short grab range) While DDD's is fairly simple, and has the biggest grab range in the game (non-tether).
100-0 means you cannot do anything, ever. That's when DDD grabs DK on last stock, or while Marth is spiking anyone over the ledge in battlefield at 60%, something of that nature.

You can still avoid it, it's still possible to win. It's just HIGHLY unlikely.

BTW, DDD's infinite on Luigi, Samus, and Mario is practically useless, if there's not already at killing percents, then it's not a true infinite, because they can escape by the mandatory double pummel. It's been escaped at 129 after THE FIRST pummel.

Difficulty of execution is irrelevant, it's always difficultly of set-up, because if it's humanly possible, people will practice till they get it down.

bobson

Smash Lord
BTW, DDD's infinite on Luigi, Samus, and Mario is practically useless, if there's not already at killing percents, then it's not a true infinite, because they can escape by the mandatory double pummel. It's been escaped at 129 after THE FIRST pummel.
You only need one pummel to keep the infinite going.

Pi

Smash Hero
I voted yes

Why?

Because it's only 6 characters that it's effective on. What's the big deal? You all afraid that this is going to open the door for banning all moves? Cause I really don't see any logical reason not to.

It's only 6 characters, none of the characters he can do it on are OP, and it doesn't break his game if he doesn't have it. So why the **** not.

You are all acting like this is some game changing scenario, get your head out of your tight ***** and start thinking about things logically;

Say it is banned;

Dedede's matchups on these characters go from overwhelming in his favor
To pretty balanced.

Why is this even up for debate? Isn't that what we are TRYING to do? Balance the game? Seriously wtf.

It would be one thing if you were able to escape it 100%,

But INESCAPABLE, and guarantee a stock?

Side note
It seems only 3 characters are rendered useless by this CG?

How would a Samus be able to escape (Just curious), if anyone would be so kind?

Fletch

Smash Master
I voted yes

Why?

Because it's only 6 characters that it's effective on. What's the big deal? You all afraid that this is going to open the door for banning all moves? Cause I really don't see any logical reason not to.

It's only 6 characters, none of the characters he can do it on are OP, and it doesn't break his game if he doesn't have it. So why the **** not.
Maybe because this sets a bad precedent? Once we start banning a move that a character has, where do we draw the line? You said it yourself, this only affects 6 characters (and it's escapable by 3 of them, and one of the ones he truly infinites is D3 himself). So say (hypothetically) that people come to believe that MK's Tornado is too overpowered, and makes way too many characters not viable. Do we need to ban that then as well?

RDK

Smash Hero

Seriously, do you guys just pour out your ******** opinions into threads without actually reading them a bit first? I just explained why the argument you're using is asinine literally on the last page.

beamswordsman

Smash Cadet
I voted no. It only effects five characters, so that is far from banworthy. And if you happen to main the characters at risk, just counter-pick. This thread makes me wonder what else people will try to ban out of bias or laziness. :(

beamswordsman

Smash Cadet
well you know the motto...its easier to ban then to find a way to beat it, right?
Considering how long these debates have gone, someone should be finding an MK counter and shutting some of the pro-banners up(Or proving he is a psuedo-Akuma, depends on the future). The MK debate makes sense; this just starts the horrible slippery slope of banning.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why is this even up for debate? Isn't that what we are TRYING to do? Balance the game? Seriously wtf.
It is because we are not trying to balance the game. There is a difference between creating a ruleset that lets the better player win and creating one that gives Captain Falcon as equal a chance of winning as Meta Knight (ie hacked Brawl-which is trying to "balance" the game). We are playing a fighting game, tiers, and an inherent IMBALANCE between characters is only natural.

Pi

Smash Hero
well you know the motto...its easier to ban then to find a way to beat it, right?
I'd like to think there was away to escape an infinite. But they are called that for a reason.

I voted no. It only effects five characters, so that is far from banworthy. And if you happen to main the characters at risk, just counter-pick. This thread makes me wonder what else people will try to ban out of bias or laziness. :(
Look, this argument is moot, it only affects 6* characters, so why not ban it? Why should we have to counterpick? If you ban his infinite on the 6 characters, is that going to make them OP? No. Are they going to have extreme advantages over him? No. It's going to make things more balanced, so what is the problem?

Maybe because this sets a bad precedent? Once we start banning a move that a character has, where do we draw the line? You said it yourself, this only affects 6 characters (and it's escapable by 3 of them, and one of the ones he truly infinites is D3 himself). So say (hypothetically) that people come to believe that MK's Tornado is too overpowered, and makes way too many characters not viable. Do we need to ban that then as well?
Look, is his tornado infinite? Does it guarantee a stock? Is it nonpunishable?

We are not talking about marths sword range in melee, we're not talking about foxes shine in melee, we're not talking about snakes nades in brawl, none of these KILL YOUR OPPONENT ONCE YOU PULL THEM OFF FOR SURE.

You pull off this INFINITE correctly. They die.

INFINITE, just remember this, we're not saying a move is broken, we're saying an INFINITE is broken. Which it is, do you disagree? Do you think it's fair?

PLEASE Just REMEMBER if it is banned, this INFINITE, what is the harm? DDD opponents now have 6 more characters to worry about? SERIOUSLY? AND YOU'RE CALLIN US LAZY?

It is because we are not trying to balance the game. There is a difference between creating a ruleset that lets the better player win and creating one that gives Captain Falcon as equal a chance of winning as Meta Knight (ie hacked Brawl-which is trying to "balance" the game). We are playing a fighting game, tiers, and an inherent IMBALANCE between characters is only natural.
But to this extent?

There shouldn't be a debate here. It's such a simple thing to do 'You can't infinite these 3 characters'.

There is NO downside. This is not a gateway ban, this is an infinite ban. Wobbling was banned in melee, did it make the IC's suck? No, it brought them down a few pegs.

If you ban DeDeDe's infinite on these 3 or 6 characters, what happens to dedede? He loses an overwhelming advantage on 3 decent characters. He isn't nerfed to hell, he isn't brought down to bottom tier, hell his tier position probably won't even flinch at this.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wobbling was banned in melee, did it make the IC's suck? No, it brought them down a few pegs.
Wobbling was never universally banned in Melee-actually, the majority of the biggest tournaments did NOT ban wobbling.

Pi

Smash Hero
Wobbling was never universally banned in Melee-actually, the majority of the biggest tournaments did NOT ban wobbling.
Majority of the big ones really?

Hm....

That surprises me, I've heard it before, but still, most the matches I see between chudat & other high ranking players he doesn't use wobbling, even though he's in position, guess that just gives me the wrong idea.

Any way, IC's w/o wobbling were still high/mid ranking tier yea?

Wobbling was harder to set up than DDD's infinite yea?

Wobbling came about pretty late in the game too

We know about this now, the only reason I could see NOT banning it, is in hoping for some way to escape it.

I don't want to ban moves, I don't want to ban characters, but if it is truly infinite it should be banned.

That's the whole reason we banned walled stages and walk off stages isn't it?

We could have just said 'don't get shinedashed', but no, we recognized there was no escape, it wasn't fair, it was easy to fall prey to, so we did what we needed to do to create a more balanced playing environment.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
lol @ YOUR argument knihT...

we don't ban things to "balance the game", we don't ban them "because they're UNFAIR" for god's sake. we ban it if it's the LAST RESORT to keep the game playable. by that, i mean the tactic doesn't over-centralize or break the metagame as a whole. and since the tactic isn't universal, CP, it does NOT fit those standards, sure, banning it will give the affected characters an easy way out, but why do that when it doesn't warrant a ban in the first place?

the fact that there's no downside or that it doesn't hurt D3's ranking doesn't mean ****, if a tactic is ban-worthy, by all means ban it, if it isn't, saying that there's no downside doesn't help your argument...

Pi

Smash Hero
lol @ YOUR argument knihT...

we don't ban things to "balance the game", we don't ban them "because they're UNFAIR" for god's sake. we ban it if it's the LAST RESORT to keep the game playable. by that, i mean the tactic doesn't over-centralize or break the metagame as a whole. and since the tactic isn't universal, CP, it does NOT fit those standards, sure, banning it will give the affected characters an easy way out, but why do that when it doesn't warrant a ban in the first place?

the fact that there's no downside or that it doesn't hurt D3's ranking doesn't mean ****, if a tactic is ban-worthy, by all means ban it, if it isn't, saying that there's no downside doesn't help your argument...
First bold text;
Yes, you do.

Second bold text;
3 characters become unplayable.

What 'warrents' a ban is obviously up for debate here (although it shouldn't), so don't act like it has a clear meaning here. Because you sure as hell haven't given one.

You keep saying 'ban worthy' or 'what warrents a ban'
Elaborate.

I would think making characters UNPLAYABLE would meet your standards but obviously not.

Give me some analogies, some examples, because I'm not understanding why we wouldn't ban a move that eliminates 3/6 characters from the roster even though banning the move would do nothing to affect D3.

bobson

Smash Lord
Second bold text;
3 characters become unplayable.
What three?
Mario, Luigi and Samus can break out of it until percents where they'd be killed easily anyway, and Dedede and Wolf can only be infinited situationally at the edge. DK and Bowser are the only ones ruined by this, and Bowser's isn't technically an infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom