• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should it physically hurt to play fox?

Theguesst

Smash Rookie
So I've been playing fox for about a month now and I have a good amount of technology under my belt with him. I'm not too consistent with SHFFL, double lazer or wavedashing out of shield/shine, but if I push myself I can get a little faster and do these things better. When I do though, my right arm starts to burn like I've been working out for awhile and even after playing my arm feels stiff. I just went to my first event and the speed of the other players just shocked me and I could not keep up. So I've been practicing to get faster, but this burning arm pain won't go away. I can play other characters just fine without pain; marth, jigs, falcon, etc. Should I stop playing fox?

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
If your arm starts to hurt from playing, you are probably doing something very wrong. If you compare smash to playing an instrument, the obvious answer is that your technique is bad. Playing a slower character will make your arm hurt less, but you'd still have that bad technique. Playing an instrument with bad technique is incredibly difficult and requires at least twice the effort to get up to your desired speed, plus it's going to hurt and maybe cause injuries.

You should probably rethink the way you do your inputs and figure out a way to do them that puts less strain onto your arm, and get rid of the bad habits you have. Don't use any muscles you don't have to use, relax, there shouldn't be any unnecessary tensions in your arm. Those tensions aren't going to make you faster at all. You want easy and fluid motions as much as possible. If what you're doing is already difficult at medium-fast speeds, it's going to be insanely hard to impossible if you're trying to go even faster. Figure out a way to make the medium-fast speeds feel like a piece of cake first.

To be honest, I have no idea what it is that you could be doing anyway. Most of what your right hand should do is just moving your thumb and hitting R and Z. That shouldn't put much strain onto your arm at all. Even the Javi claw shouldn't. Maybe your fingers could get tired if you've been playing for hours, but if your arm starts hurting, I think you have to be doing something very wrong. Figure out what it is and stop doing it.

F.e. for wavedashing, there's no need to press L/R insanely hard/fast. A moderate speed will work just as well with the perfect timing. You won't even lose a single frame, just as pressing it even harder/faster won't gain you a single frame. All that matters is that you time it so that you'll wavedash on the first frame possible. Press X, at the same moment start pressing R at the right speed. Don't press X wait 2 frames, then press R insanely hard/fast. It's completely unnecessary. Just as short hopping your wavedashes is.

Last edited:

g_f

Smash Cadet
I've destroyed my thumbnail learning fox!

I do not think it is completely character specific. I witnessed a case of hand-tendon strain in a Sheik player! That was due to bad short hopping technique, though.

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
When I first started playing my lower arms would get kinda sore. It went away pretty fast though either from muscle building up or me adapting to a less painful way of playing. It sounds like youre just putting too much tension in your arms. (This happens to me a lot when im practicing new fast tech I get tense, also happens when I play with really good ppl sometimes). Just relaaaax and s2j

La_Popo

Smash Rookie
When I started learning how to waveshine, my fingers would get kinda sore, but nothing to bad.
Now it's fine, but yeah, BonaparteZ said it best, your arm shouldn't hurt.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
You know in a lot of sports they tell you to put your wrist/arm/back in it, depending on the necessary strength? Super smash bros. melee isn't one of those sports. If you're moving anything beyond your fingers and occasionally your wrist, you're screwing up. If I had to guess though, I'd think that because you're not super consistent with fox techniques you tense your arm when you play him and that's what causes the pain.

Zhea

Smash Ace
STAHP PRESSING THE BUTTONS SO HARD ASSHOLE
Just Kidding.
But not really. Seriously start trying to do these with the minimal effort required. It helps consistency.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
If you do not have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome within 2 years of playing Fox you are doing it horrendously wrong. Playing Fox will ruin your hands for the rest of your life.

Top Bottom