• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should everyone have a pocket space animal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Pretty much what the title says.

Should everyone (well competitive players at least) have a Fox or Falco in their character lineup for Melee?

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Probably a good idea, but not always. They are pretty fun once you get to start learning their tech though :D

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Well I'm not saying to always use them. You have your main character. You might even have a different secondary character. But you also have a Fox or Falco ready to go in case you really need them

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
I started having fox as my secondary because Samus is my main so I need a fast faller for matchups. I say it just depends on who you main

SAUS

Smash Ace
Well I'm not saying to always use them. You have your main character. You might even have a different secondary character. But you also have a Fox or Falco ready to go in case you really need them
When would you need them? If it's not even your secondary, it will most likely be underdeveloped, so you may just end up throwing away matches with them.

I don't think they are necessary at all, but I find them to be fun to play as, so I mess around with them quite a bit in friendlies. I use them in teams sometimes as well. I also believe that learning a character helps you understand them better, and can help you have a better time against that character. So it's good to learn them for that reason.

Last edited:

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
i will get a pocket Jiggs.
that way I can focus on my main and still be good with Jiggs

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Pocket spacies are really useful. Your character is hard countered by sheik? Pick a spacie. Can't handle falcon? Pick a spacie. Losing to a spacie? Pick a spacie.

Of course, this only applies to tournament and only when its "needed". Sometimes the only way to improve is to lose when you're trying your hardest. If you switch to a spacie, you might win but you will lose the opportunity to learn with your main. My rule of thumb is if there is money on the line, do whatever it takes to win. Otherwise, play for the long term, play your main and just accept your fate either way.

also, this all assumes you know how to play the spacie. If you never practice him in friendlies, don't use him in tournament.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
When would you need them? If it's not even your secondary, it will most likely be underdeveloped, so you may just end up throwing away matches with them.

I don't think they are necessary at all, but I find them to be fun to play as, so I mess around with them quite a bit in friendlies. I use them in teams sometimes as well. I also believe that learning a character helps you understand them better, and can help you have a better time against that character. So it's good to learn them for that reason.
Well maybe "need" is a bad word. But so much character talk revolves around spacies. Especially Fox with the whole "20XX, Fox only, no items, Final Destination". The characters that you see winning tournaments or represented the most are Fox and Falco. And it seemed like everyone has their main but are also known to have a good Fox or Falco.

Personally, I'll probably never REALLY try to be good with them because I don't like to use over represented characters or characters that may be seen as OP. Just a thought I had.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Well maybe "need" is a bad word. But so much character talk revolves around spacies. Especially Fox with the whole "20XX, Fox only, no items, Final Destination". The characters that you see winning tournaments or represented the most are Fox and Falco. And it seemed like everyone has their main but are also known to have a good Fox or Falco.

Personally, I'll probably never REALLY try to be good with them because I don't like to use over represented characters or characters that may be seen as OP. Just a thought I had.
In melee, there is enough global skill that can be transferred from character to character that good players will be good with pretty much any character - especially ones that are as fun as spacies. The fact that they have good secondaries is not just because they practiced them, it's also because those players are very good at the game.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The only top player I can think of that has had even a moderate amount of success using a spacie secondary is Mew2King, and he has tons of experience from years of maining Fox. The two most notable examples of successful secondary usage are PP's Marth and Armada's Young Link. You might also include M2K's Sheik or Marth depending on what you consider his main to be (personally, I just consider them dual mains).

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
The only top player I can think of that has had even a moderate amount of success using a spacie secondary is Mew2King, and he has tons of experience from years of maining Fox. The two most notable examples of successful secondary usage are PP's Marth and Armada's Young Link. You might also include M2K's Sheik or Marth depending on what you consider his main to be (personally, I just consider them dual mains).
Mango went Fox & Falco for many tournies. Hbox has now Fox as secondary and has been doing extremely well.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I main marth and secondary jiggz. I don't really need a spacie. Marth deals with spacies nicely, and jiggz deals with shiek/marth nicely. Another combo that would make it where you don't need a spacie would be marth-shiek or marth-peach.

Basically you don't need a spacie if you have a marth.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I main Zelda and Dr.Mario, with Jiggly as backup.

There's just something about playing spacies that I don't like, so I won't be picking one up, personally. Some people say that my game could be improved if I picked either of them up, but I don't feel that it will, because I don't want to play as them.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Something else I feel I can add to this conversation is that in my opinion, having a "pocket spacie" adds to melee's staleness.

I'd rather not see Fox vs Falco or any variation on that at every game, thanks.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
So on Friday I went to Smashfest for the first time ever. I'm a Luigi main with Ganon second. There were about 30-40 people there. I have to say that most used Fox or Falco. There were a few Falcons and Marths. I saw one Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, Sheik, and Peach. Also one other Luigi main besides me.

This was the first time I ever got out to play experienced Smash players and I immediately noticed the wealth of Fox/Falco players. This kind of backed up my question of "needing" a spacie.

TorsionalStrain

Smash Rookie
Mango went Fox & Falco for many tournies. Hbox has now Fox as secondary and has been doing extremely well.
That doesn't negates the fact that he did well in CEO and Evo.
Yeah but where is your evidence that HBox did well because of his secondary? He won game 1 vs armada at CEO because he caught him off guard. He then proceeded to lose the next 5 games with his fox, and at EVO he went 0-2 with spacies against armada.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
If everyone uses a chair in a bar fight, use a knife. If everyone uses a knife, use a gun. The trick is to keep topping your opponent in terms of firepower. In this case firepower is measured by the tier list, so the most common reaction is to continuously pick the character with the most firepower.

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
I'm a Young Link main, but I have a pocket Falco.
I use him for Fox, but he's not only there for that, since I absolutely love some of the combos you can do with him.
He's just really fun to play as to me, but for others it depends.

SAUS

Smash Ace
So on Friday I went to Smashfest for the first time ever. I'm a Luigi main with Ganon second. There were about 30-40 people there. I have to say that most used Fox or Falco. There were a few Falcons and Marths. I saw one Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, Sheik, and Peach. Also one other Luigi main besides me.

This was the first time I ever got out to play experienced Smash players and I immediately noticed the wealth of Fox/Falco players. This kind of backed up my question of "needing" a spacie.
That's awesome that you made it out to a smash fest! I hope you enjoyed it. In any case, you will just have to play and learn for yourself. The game is very, very deep. Spacies are fun to play and they are strong characters, so naturally many people will play them.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

STICK WITH A SINGLE CHARACTER!!

Unless we are debating 1v1 versus 2v2 mains. In which case I am not entirely certain if its best to stick with your main for both cases. 1v2 and 2v2 uses different skill sets and therefore feels like I am playing a different character. However, particular habits seem to form when going between the two.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
If you want to ever win a tournament, you pretty much need to play a spacie, or at least Marth or Sheik. Not 100%, but exceptions are extraordinarily rare.

If winning is less important to you than some other goal, then obviously anything can work.

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
If you want to ever win a tournament, you pretty much need to play a spacie, or at least Marth or Sheik. Not 100%, but exceptions are extraordinarily rare.

If winning is less important to you than some other goal, then obviously anything can work.
I think you forgot Peach and jiggs. Oh and Falcon and icies. And what about a few others? Alot of characters can win tournaments. But for the big ones I'd stick to top 10 tier list

Frost | Odds

I think you forgot Peach and jiggs. Oh and Falcon and icies. And what about a few others? Alot of characters can win tournaments. But for the big ones I'd stick to top 10 tier list
Spoken like someone who's never played one of Peach or Jiggs' terrible matchups.

Like I said, exceptions exist, they're just rare.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
There is no such thing as a pocket spacie... Spacies require perfect execution all the time, and if you mess up once, you will die. It makes more sense for a spacie player to have a pocket character, like a pocket Falcon against certain players/characters. Spacies are fun to play though, so go nuts in friendlies :p

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Spoken like someone who's never played one of Peach or Jiggs' terrible matchups.

Like I said, exceptions exist, they're just rare.
I used to play Peach in tournaments and it went pretty well even against some spacies. And also, I've seen tournaments of 60-70 people being won by a Link so don't be so quick to dismiss the top 16 characters

Bones0

Smash Legend

Too bad there are more "exceptions" than there are instances of spacies winning nationals... Mango dominated the Melee scene with Puff, and Armada went undefeated for a long time as Peach, so to suggest that non-spacies winning tournaments is rare can only be from ignorance. Not to mention the King of Smash himself maining Marth.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
If winning is a priority, get a pocket Fox or Falco, but in my opinion, half of the Fox mains aren't even that good excluding people like SFAT, Mango, Leffen, Hax, Lucky a few others.

If you're main priority is having fun and just playing the game, choose someone else. There are plenty of good low/mid tier characters that you can use and innovate, which is what I like seeing even thought the game is 13 years old.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Too bad there are more "exceptions" than there are instances of spacies winning nationals... Mango dominated the Melee scene with Puff, and Armada went undefeated for a long time as Peach, so to suggest that non-spacies winning tournaments is rare can only be from ignorance. Not to mention the King of Smash himself maining Marth.
Whatever, dude. Mango and Armada sold out for good reason: the metagame caught up to them and now those characters suck. A jiggs player has to be so much unbelievably better than a Fox player to win the match that that one matchup pretty much renders Jiggs non-viable to solo in a tournament, especially because Fox is by far the most used character.

"But HBox did it!"

Yeah? And who else actually gets results with her? S0ft that one time? Great. If you seriously think that makes Jiggs a good character, you try and main her.

Peach, likewise, can beat all the top tiers, but it's a tough road, knowing that every single match you start out way behind.

Marth is easily your best bet if you don't want to play a space animal. He only really has one significantly bad matchup, but it's easily overcome by having a good punish game - not that sheik is super relevant (unless you play a low tier) anyway.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

From his stream and the Mastering The Armada series, it looks like he's still practicing Fox. I could be wrong about that, but eh.

His peach can still go places, but he's losing to people now, despite having worked harder on one character than pretty much anyone, ever. Even in 2011, he was picking Falco against an occasional fox that took him to Pokestad.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
In 2011 he was probably going Falco in Europe because he utterly destroyed everyone because he was a bazillion times better than everyone except Amsah (who he was still significantly better than). Leffen hadn't developed yet and Ice was still in infancy.

This summer he basically only lost to Mango and HBox. Of the two, only one plays a space animal (actually if we want to get technical HBox tried to go a space animal vs Armada and got bodied by a low tier who's hard countered by the spacies but that's neither here nor there). Armada still beat every other Fox in the world this season and aside from his reign in 2012 (when he was very very clearly the best player) he never utterly destroyed Mango anyway. I'm more inclined to believe Armada & Mango's back & forth as of late (with the favour going to Mango ofc) has more to do with Mango vs Armada and less to do with "Peach sucks and isn't viable because she's not Fox or Falco".

Practicing Fox =/= maining Fox

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Whatever, dude. Mango and Armada sold out for good reason: the metagame caught up to them and now those characters suck. A jiggs player has to be so much unbelievably better than a Fox player to win the match that that one matchup pretty much renders Jiggs non-viable to solo in a tournament, especially because Fox is by far the most used character.

"But HBox did it!"

Yeah? And who else actually gets results with her? S0ft that one time? Great. If you seriously think that makes Jiggs a good character, you try and main her.

Peach, likewise, can beat all the top tiers, but it's a tough road, knowing that every single match you start out way behind.

Marth is easily your best bet if you don't want to play a space animal. He only really has one significantly bad matchup, but it's easily overcome by having a good punish game - not that sheik is super relevant (unless you play a low tier) anyway.
"Sheik not relevant"

*looks at M2K*

LOL

"Jiggs [is not] a good character"

*looks at tier list and MU chart*

LOL

"Peach... start out way behind"

*looks at Wobbles, Evo 2014, Apex 2013, Falco, and Fly Amanita*

LOL

"[Marth] has a significantly bad matchup"

*looks at Captain Falcon, who is also high tier*

LOL

Sorry, being serious and a bit more polite now.

I used to main Link, but I'm not that good [started on Brawl so some tech skill stuff was fine but other stuff wasn't]. Everyone at the Smashfest was like "Just pick Fox and get good" [one guy was like, "Here at least play Marth" and started making me practice the uthrow CG on Fox] but I couldn't play Fox so I picked Falco because I could jump out of shine and hold the control stick in a direction and press A [and because I always thought Falco is really cool]. Now I'm a Falco main who will pull out Link for mid/low tier MUs I don't know and lose badly in game 1 [if I don't know what holes to look for/how to exploit them, my Falco generally gets bodied more than my Link because Falco is a more gimpable and slightly more edible combo fodder - there's also something to be said for introducing possible MU inexperience on their end into the mix] and occasionally for ICs/if I'm bodying the opponent because I like playing Link. This is probably [almost certainly] very sub-optimal, but it gets work done sometimes [I've beaten Falcos with Link who two-stock my Falco, and I'll say that Falco-Link is disgustingly difficult on Link's end - MU inexperience can really pay off I guess (but it won't get it done at a higher level of play)].

If you enjoy playing Fox or Falco, they'll help you to improve tech skill and give you a backup that is advantageous in almost every situation. If not, forcing yourself to pick them is a bad idea, and you should probably consider any of the other top 8 besides Falcon if you really want a backup [he gets beat down rather badly by Fox/Falco (and people have backups) considering he's top tier]. Marth would seem to cover your most difficult MUs rather well.

And as Sveet said, it may not be the character, but you [no offense, though this rule often apples to me, yet I switched because I find Falco and Link equally fun and can't be waveshined all across Dreamland -_- though I am still working at SDIing that.] So keep that in mind before you completely drop your current main if you enjoy playing as them.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

And as Sveet said, it may not be the character, but you
imo, unless you play a spacie, in almost every situation it's probably both. I recently started playing Falco for exactly this reason: I hate losing for any reason other than "I didn't play as well as the other guy". It's harder to be distracted by johning when you simply have no legitimate johns.

Playing Bowser (and then Jiggs) for as long as I did was a huge impediment to my progress as a player. I hate to see others making the same mistake. For many people, it's probably better to learn a good character first, and then branch out if they feel the need. ymmv

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom