• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should all character DLC be free for owners of both versions?

Should all character DLC be free for owners of both versions?

• Yes

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
This would give people an incentive to buy both versions if DLC costs money for single-version owners.
Do you think this would be a good idea, or would it be a big middle finger to single-version owners?

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I'd like to see some sort of special promotion for this. The owners of the 3DS Version would have the entire right to get all DLC for free. But also I'd like to see this: you buy a game (for example, Splatoon), and register it on your Club Nintendo account, you get the Splatoon DLC for free (character and stage, if it presents itself).

But I hope the DLC is not limited to those who buy the 3DS Version only, I hope that those who don't buy the version also can buy the character DLC separately. Just... don't make it too pricey, Nintendo.

PK-FuzzyPickles

Smash Rookie
Considering how much it would cost to get Smash for Wii U, Smash for 3ds, a 3ds, a Wii U and a Wii (you do need a Wii to use Wii U, right?), I think it's perfectly fair for those who own all of it to get free DLC.
In fact, it would be unfair otherwise. Although, it'd be unfair for DLC to be limited to ONLY those who have both versions. People with one version only should still get DLC *cough* Mewtwo *cough*, but paid.

Craxian

Smash Rookie
Considering how much it would cost to get Smash for Wii U, Smash for 3ds, a 3ds, a Wii U and a Wii (you do need a Wii to use Wii U, right?), I think it's perfectly fair for those who own all of it to get free DLC.
In fact, it would be unfair otherwise. Although, it'd be unfair for DLC to be limited to ONLY those who have both versions. People with one version only should still get DLC *cough* Mewtwo *cough*, but paid.
You don't need a Wii to use a Wii U, but I agree with the rest of your statement.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That is a very stupid idea from a business point of view, so I doubt it is happening. I would like to have any DLC for free, of course, but I think Mewtwo will be the only free DLC for buyers of both Smashes.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
But it is free.:troll:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
If they can't figure out crossbuy. I don't mind so much buying dlc but I won't buy it twice for both versions

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Considering Nintendo haven't made a profit in the past four years(this year being the first time they look like they will), I certainly won't begrudge them charging for DLC as long as there's a season pack kind of deal like with Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8.

Thus far their DLC has been reasonably priced, and I doubt they'll suddenly jack up the price for Smash, especially when they're making additional money from the games anyway with the Gamecube adapter, controllers, Amiibo add on for 3DS and the Amiibos themselves, all of which are optional add ons, but ones many will go for.

That said; if you buy the DLC for one version, it should be free for your other version too. Like Naglfarii said above me, no one will be willing to pay for the same DLC twice.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Nintendo handles DLC beautifully.
The quality and quantity of content they add to the games they add it for far surpasses any other I've seen.

However they handle it, I believe it will be for their own and consumer interest, fantastically intermingled.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I would like it to be like how the SkullGirls DLC is handled. (Free to everyone for a short time)

Too bad that will never happen.

But I do have faith in them with how they'll price it. They usually give us large packs for a good price anyway. (DLC for their games)

Last edited:

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
Personally I hope the DLC takes a similar form to the Mario Kart 8 DLC packs, with a discount for multiple orders. They are likely to have stages as well as characters I should think.

I think the way Nintendo implemented DLC in that case is very good. It's reasonably priced (unexpected!) and varied. Just wish it didn't take so long to come out.

Last edited:

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
I'm not sure if DLC characters will all be obtained for free if you own both versions.They'll probably make sure something prints money.

Last edited:

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Mewtwo will be free because it's just him and they want to sell the game twice.

Later on I see them doing "package DLC"

Mario Kart 8 has Characters, courses and vehicles.

Hyrule Warriors has Characters, weapons, skins, missions.

Smash will have Characters, stages, music, maybe skins? in their DLC packs.

And none of it will be free :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom