• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hopping

Delslayer

Smash Cadet
Ive just started working on my technical game and short hopping and i was wonder which button you guys use and how do you hit the button for a short hop.

Delslayer

Smash Cadet
thats how ive been doing it too; by hiting the right side of X lightly. only problem is that i can seldom do it while changing dirrection.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Someone else on the forums said that it wasn't about how fast or soft you pressed it, but how fast you released, so once you push it just concentrate on getting off the button.

DemonicShadows

Smash Apprentice
I use Y as well, only because it's easier to perform SH'd aerials when pressing Y for you can slide you finger (or thumb) down to A or B.

It's easier, if you just want to SH for the hell of it, to slide your thumb off of the A button onto X and release quickly.

Mythos

Smash Cadet
Well ... I think the best way is to train with every method a bit and decide then which is the best for you ^^ ( so x or y, nobody would tell you to use the control stick )

Delslayer

Smash Cadet
Well ... I think the best way is to train with every method a bit and decide then which is the best for you ^^ ( so x or y, nobody would tell you to use the control stick )
Whats wrong with control stick:confused: .

jk i use control stick unless im trying to short hop, wd, or ws but i realize its alot more difficult

Mythos

Smash Cadet
Whats wrong with control stick:confused: .

jk i use control stick unless im trying to short hop, wd, or ws but i realize its alot more difficult
Nothings wrong with it .. but in my opinion it's much easier
for a "noob" to lern short hopping with y and x ( e.g. later
for learning SHDL ... , it's possible but do you pull a SHDL
with control stick off?:psycho: )

So try all y, x and controll stick ...

Are you lucky now Delslayer? :laugh:

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I just slip the end of my thumb off of X. The paint underneath the button is all worn out.

Mythos

Smash Cadet
Someone else on the forums said that it wasn't about how fast or soft you pressed it, but how fast you released, so once you push it just concentrate on getting off the button.
That's true but if you push it lightly, then you're able to release your thumb faster , or ? :)

MCRrock3r

Smash Rookie
I use x because I'm used to pressing it. It's done by something like Soft Press+fast release. It doesn't mater if you use X or Y, it just depends on which one you used to, thats what I think.

Delslayer

Smash Cadet
That's true but if you push it lightly, then you're able to release your thumb faster , or ? :)
that all depends on how long you hold it down after pushing it lightly. but yes if you push it lightly chances are it will be released more quickly.

Ipwn

Smash Apprentice
Wel.. i can shorthop now for 86% .. if ya have little nails.. not too big not too small
put your nail on the bottom of X. Then just flick with your nail the x button..

beebee

Smash Apprentice
When i started to play the game and got really good i used X to short hop. Then my controller started being gay and i started using Y. Then that broke too Now I can't do it anymore. Its really hard to do if with the control stick. I'M NEVER BUYING MADCATZ CONTROLLERS AGAIN!!:mad:

Black Fire

Smash Rookie
I use x, and literally just slide my thumb across x because it is about how quickly you release it. Fox's SH is the biggest pain in the ass because it's some ridiculously short amount of time you are allowed to leave x/y pressed down.

However, I find that SH --> aerials is difficult to do well. I see people like mango and m2k play fox and they are able to, say, nair immediately after SHing. it takes a while for me to get my finger onto A/C-stick from x, so I should probably give y a shot...

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
you new dude?

this is an old thread from like 2006-2007 (you can see the post date under the actual post)
don't revive old threads as forum courtesy :p

happy smashing!

Top Bottom