• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hop double laser help?

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
having some problems pulling this technique off, it doesn't really work the same way as it does in n64 from what I've tried and is a lot harder to pull off because fox falls so fast. any general advice on getting this to work?

Truedge930

Smash Apprentice
It's very difficult to do with Fox, you've gotta be pressing b the moment after you hit jump. Even pro smashers normally don't try to shdl as it takes too much effort when a single shl accomplishes the same thing (harassment) so more energy goes into the actual combat.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
It's very difficult to do with Fox, you've gotta be pressing b the moment after you hit jump. Even pro smashers normally don't try to shdl as it takes too much effort when a single shl accomplishes the same thing (harassment) so more energy goes into the actual combat.
I disagree. SHDL's don't take up any effort at all, it's just the fact that they're more for show than anything else. I'd recommend first learning the with use of the control stick, then move onto learning with X or Y, whichever you prefer.

emcp7

Smash Apprentice
do it with Y if possible. That way you can just slide from Y to B in one smooth motion, way easier to to then x and still allows some di on your part which is hard to on on a joystick. This method is also good for doubleshining.

2448x

Smash Cadet
Listen to him....

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Im sure you'll recognize the hand motion from shdl from 64 smash. Its still the same button sliding motion as melee. Just a bit faster. Like, slide to b, then rapidly spam it. You should get it sometime.

Avery

Smash Cadet
I agree with FastFox...SHDL is more show then actually being useful. Most pro foxes just go for SHL for approaches or full jumped lasers (which in most peoples opinion are most useful) for retreats,and control of the opponent. As far as techniques go to perform SHDL, start with the control stick then switch to Y or X (taking in to account your fingers are fast enough and you do it at a higher success rate than control stick). Either way avoid using this technique in battle seeing as other laser spam techniques are far superior and this one is no more then flashy.

Smash Journeyman
shdl comes naturally to you if you master it precisely my bro's got it dont pact but doesnt use it in matches or tourneys

especially against my fox when we play dittos but i agree its only for show and i wouldnt make it a habit on doin it cuz if your not naturally fast it takes a lot of effort and energy
but

i accomplish it with x but i do it immediatly after i hit the jump button but it takes a lot of energy so i stop doin it

DemonicShadows

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. it's tiring, difficult to perfect, and takes a lot of time.

I wonder, is it easier with Falco? I don't know because I don't use Falco...

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It's much easier with falco because you can short hop easier with him, just gently and quickly press the 'y' button and he should hop instead of a huge jump. with fox he jumps so high so it's harder to short hop. you can short hope the same way with fox and with falco.

v3x?

Smash Journeyman
I completly disagree with this whole "SHDL is only for show"

To be fair, its not even that showy. Reverse single lasers look better in my opinion anyway.

It's now become a vital part of my game against most characters. Especially the likes of peach, marth and sheik - it just racks up damage twice as fast. And puts even more pressure on them to attack.

Nuff said =[

alcheato

Smash Ace
Here's how I do it:
Slide your finger from the very bottom tip of the jump button (I use Y because it's a slightly shorter distance) so that your finger slides down to the B instead of physically moving your finger off, and then continue tapping B again as fast as you can. I find it's much easier if you slide your finger down instead of taking it off.
Hope this helps.

Smash Journeyman
I completly disagree with this whole "SHDL is only for show"

To be fair, its not even that showy. Reverse single lasers look better in my opinion anyway.

It's now become a vital part of my game against most characters. Especially the likes of peach, marth and sheik - it just racks up damage twice as fast. And puts even more pressure on them to attack.

Nuff said =[
yea true i understand but you have to admit if you dont have naturally fast hands or a generally lazy person then it will be a bit extra energy will take that much more out of you

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
jump, aireal dodge into the ground.

On topic, why would firing one laser out of a short hop be better then firing two lasers out of a short hop? Isn't 4 damage better then 2? Or 5-6 better then 3?

The main tips looking for are how many times you have to press the B button. On n64 version you couldn't do it by spamming the button, I was mainly wondering if that was required to pull it off on this game? I know all about button slides and hand positions etc etc.

ApolloX54

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I just do it with Y and some fast fingers, not consistent though.

Well 5-6 is better than 3 but you have to take into account the extra frames and the extra work.

It's situational really

rokimomi

Smash Lord
jump, aireal dodge into the ground.

On topic, why would firing one laser out of a short hop be better then firing two lasers out of a short hop? Isn't 4 damage better then 2? Or 5-6 better then 3?

The main tips looking for are how many times you have to press the B button. On n64 version you couldn't do it by spamming the button, I was mainly wondering if that was required to pull it off on this game? I know all about button slides and hand positions etc etc.
I know what you mean. In 64, I took my sweet old time to fire the lasers. Just do the same thing, yet faster, way faster. Im thinkin even if you spam be, the only two times you have time to press it are the shots meant to be fired anyways. Im thinkin its just cuz people like moving around and when doing a shdl, you cant really do it in any faster fasion . Other than that, I think its just mobility, unless we could get frame data.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
You can do it while moving forward though, I've been practicing doing that into shffl dair reflector wavedash upsmash, it looks cool :)

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
I'd have to say that shdl might be hard to pull off.My advice would be practice and fast fingers.

Mythos

Smash Cadet
Like v3x I also advice you to learn it perfectly ... against chars like peach sheik and marth
who have huge advantages against fox, it's on the one hand a good method to get their percentages up and on the other hand a very good mindgame, because the attack rash and begin to do heavy mistakes by doging their attacks and damage them from distance.

alcheato

Smash Ace
I agree, it is a good mindgame and if nothing else, it looks cool. :) I've had people tell me that it's pointless because it leaves you vulnerable for a longer period of a time or that you need ridiculously fast hands to do it. However, I still use it out of habit and my hands aren't all that fast. SHDL doesn't leave you vulnerable for much longer than SHL. As long you space yourself accordingly, the vulnerability issue shouldn't be a problem at all. If you can SHL with fox, odds are you can SHDL. If your hands aren't that fast, simply learn to slide your finger from the very bottom of the Y button to the B button and tap B again quickly. If I can teach my friend who almost never plays to do it, then it can't be that hard.

Sudai

Stuff here
SHDL leaves you in no more danger than a SHL would because if you see them moving in, you can still fast fall it, you just have to pay more attention to the enemy and not be a dumby and try to SHDL when they're right next to you.

Smash Journeyman
trust me thats basically where it came from someone doing it stupidly near their opponent and getting punished.

without proper spacing i wouldn't do it at all or be prepared to be punished, and dont be too predictable when using it or your opponent will time it and rush you especially against marth.

Mythos

Smash Cadet
I think it doesn't need a new thread for this but I've got also a question on SHDL :

So, is it possible to short hop, turn around and also fire
two lasers? Everytime I try i get only one out by turning
around ...

Smash Journeyman
I think it doesn't need a new thread for this but I've got also a question on SHDL :

So, is it possible to short hop, turn around and also fire
two lasers? Everytime I try i get only one out by turning
around ...
wow, until this i actually thought i had tried everything on the smash. i honestly have never tried to reverse shdl before but i will now, and i'll get back to you mythos

Top Bottom