• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hop Double Arrow by MellowD

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
A nice little alternative to this i like doing is to sh, throw a bomb and then arrow. The bomb and the arrow will travel on around about the same trajectories so if the bomb connects the arrow is garunteed. Not as good as controlling space but adds a little damage to your bomb.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Can Link Do This?

I pray to god he can, or else toon link IS better than link!

LeSmasher

Smash Rookie
It seems his projectile's with the arrows haven't decreased. I have yet to see anyone else utilize the Boomerang and the bombs effectively and string combos together, a reason for this? I main'd Y.Link in Melee and am eager to find out his new effectiveness with the long range battle techniques.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
You can also fit in a land-cancelled arrow after a short-hopped bair, nair, or fair. Very useful. :bee:

Dudechapguyman

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this has been brought up, but using the SHDA with the RAR is quite effective. It allows you to do your double arrow while moving backwards through the air, away from your opponent. It looks pretty snazzy, too.

diekicks

Smash Rookie
i got them consistently now, and holy crap their awesome to use. i could do em every time. i liek to serve people up with a hot steaming plate of delicious spam.

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
If you played the game then you'd know the difference between just shooting an arrow in the air and the ground. When you do this it the second arrow comes out faster than the animation of shooting it on the ground. Kinda hard to explain but it kinda is like a short hop double laser. The videos might be hard to see the short hop double arrows because he makes some mistakes where he does a regular air and ground arrow.
QFT.

10toonlink

Finch

Smash Lord
The second arrow is just lag canceled, like with samus's missles. This is kinda cool, except that arrows suck and will rarely hit a decent opponent.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
So this looks really useful and I am trying to do it yet my 2nd arrow isnt coming out fast, about 15 min now <<;
I assume there is some sort of timing thing I am not getting. I am trying to shoot it while still in the air but it doesnt appear to be going off with the short hop, when I do a high jump I can see that it works by when link lands the arrow goes off, so starting to shoot right before he lands is what has to be done, however even spamming b as fast as i can seems tricky :|

Dudechapguyman

Smash Cadet
however even spamming b as fast as i can seems tricky :|
For reasons which I'm not yet completely sure of, spamming B as fast as you can makes it almost impossible to pull off. Even if you do it in training mode in slow motion.

You have to jump and fire an arrow as soon as you can. Link should start pulling out his bow before you reach the peak of your short hop. Then it's just a matter of pressing B again just before you hit the ground.

mellowD

Smash Apprentice
lemme get one thing straight away

the reason why this is named Short Hop Double Arrow is because it's self explanitory
it does share the name and concept of shdl but not completely the same
i figure this name be suitable since its straight to the point and not something ******** sounding like arrow spam rush kamikaze blitz etc.

the shda is not shooting 2 arrows in mid-air its implying that you can shoot 2 arrows within one short hop due to arrow cancelling (see RazeveX's thread on arrow cancelling)
yes, you are shooting the second arrow on the ground but upon landing.
its closey related to samus's missle cancel but does NOT remove all lag
also, you can't shoot the second arrow unless you make a quick transaction with the short hop to b.

i thought i'd provide a better demonstration of the shda with a video from kizzukun
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aKZcW3VVQjo
sexy combo kizzu ^^
:p

demonstration video coming soon?....

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
So i was working on getting my timing down for the SHDA (good find BTW) and i noticed something, no really important but im still going to tell everyone about it.

Basically if you're having trouble being able to tell the difference between when you mess it up and when you get the SHDA to work correctly just look at the bow if your shield is in the center of the bow when the second arrow fires then you got it and you should be able to tell because of how fast it is but if you can't just look for your shield.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Ya just look at the bow the shield is over your hand when you get the second arrow, If you're doing it to the right if you do it to the left it's still there but it's on the back side of the bow so it's harder to see.

Mystikal

Smash Rookie
I actually nailed it with one hand. Im pretty shocked cause i suck...at everything.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Ya it's weird to get the timing down, you need to be fast for the first arrow and then the second one is just timing don't spam because you will miss it the majority of the time as stated in the first post and a few other times. I still have trouble goin backwards doing it but i can get them most of the time. It is definently worth learning tho, one of the most useful thing I've seen so far.

Mystikal

Smash Rookie
When going from X (or Y) to B Ive figured out that I CANT lift my finger. I have to slide my thumb OVER the A button and then hit B. Then again.

Once you get it every few tries youll nail it pretty quick. It took me no more than 20 mins...and I cant tech for my life.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
So uh yeah i found this out on accident but I guess its possible to reverse the second arrow. So shoot one forward, then shoot one backward. Its possible. :) Basically just do the SHDA and for the second one just tap back before you shoot and VIOLA! Mindgames XD

$nuggles

Smash Journeyman
SHDA possibilities:

normal shda
forward shda
reverse shda (alot better if you press the other direction BEFORE you jump)
and double direction shda (found it out too, but realize its probably only useful in teams.)

Mystikal

Smash Rookie
Whats the difference between normal and forward SHDA?
I assume forward SHDA is short hopping forward?
And whats double direction SHDA?

sagemoon

Smash Lord
where you shoot the arrow in both directions. I explained that in my other post like 3 posts back. It's not only useful in teams though. I can imagine it being a pretty cool mindgame cuz your opponent thinks you mess up and charges in only to get shot in the face XD

Thunderbolt

Smash Journeyman
This is very difficult to pull off consecutivly. I managed to get it on my first try, but after that I wouldn't. This seems very useful. Looks like a useful edge guarding technique. I'm going to work on this tomorrow with some friends.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
If you're into modifying controller schemes, if you jump with X, it's very easy to pull this if you set special to Y. I know very few people who use both to jump, so you do have an extra button. I basically use Y for my SHDA, and B for all other specials. It work work just as well if you used Y to jump and set X to special.

-Aether

Godshand

Smash Rookie
If you're into modifying controller schemes, if you jump with X, it's very easy to pull this if you set special to Y. I know very few people who use both to jump, so you do have an extra button. I basically use Y for my SHDA, and B for all other specials. It work work just as well if you used Y to jump and set X to special.

-Aether

Yeah I could do it without changing the buttons but I had to concentrate too hard detracting my attention from a charging Wolf. I changed it in my case to X just to do this and use my other specials with B just as habit. It has become very easy to do now and I am not sacrificing anything. I just need to remember to select my name for the custom controls lol thats the hard part =)

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I've been messing around with a TL specific control scheme and I think I found something. Here's what I got:

A, B, X, L, R, D-pad are all default
C-stick is set to Special for the auto-RAR
Y is set to grab for the tether (I shield grab otherwise)

Heres where it's most useful:
Z is set to Jump.
This makes it SO much easier to do this it's rediculous. The only trick is getting down a sh consistantly with it. Took me less than 5 minutes

Anyways, that's my two cents on this amazing tech

Top Bottom