• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shiny Hunting

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Does anyone have a save file from the English-patched Japanese version of the game? I'd like to launch some breeding but I need to get some Japanese pogeys to use the Masuda Method and I'd really rather not do a third playthrough at the moment.

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
Does anyone have a save file from the English-patched Japanese version of the game? I'd like to launch some breeding but I need to get some Japanese pogeys to use the Masuda Method and I'd really rather not do a third playthrough at the moment.
I only have a Japanese copy.Not a patched one.

Btw congrats to that guy who got the shiny Joltik

wrkngclsshr

Smash Rookie
Holy crap, I want a shiny Joltik.

I got a Shiny Delibird on the GTS. Except... it's level 5. And it's a Delibird.

On Diamond I have a Shiny Bibarel. Too bad everyone hates them but me >.>

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I only have a Japanese copy.Not a patched one.

Btw congrats to that guy who got the shiny Joltik
Holy crap, I want a shiny Joltik.

I got a Shiny Delibird on the GTS. Except... it's level 5. And it's a Delibird.

On Diamond I have a Shiny Bibarel. Too bad everyone hates them but me >.>
Damn, I'll have to grind for a Joltik someday. I intend to put that dude on my team.

Anyway, I've yet to actually get a shiny. :< Ever.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Remember the Battle Factory in Emerald? How one of the rental Pokemon was an Electrode? One time I was playing and that guy was shiny.

I was like :C

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Well I found a shiny kingler once in firered but then reset...no shinies ever since lol

Yaya

Smash Champion
I've started Soft Resetting for a Shiny Virizion.

In other news, I am a stupid, stupid man.

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
got my first shiny since sapphire, a roggenrola on pokemon black version, in wellspring cave, training up pokes after beating the story has some bonuses :bee:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I've yet to encounter a shiny in Gen V. I'll probably Masuda Method for one when I transfer my Japanese Ditto from SoulSilver, especially since now it's like 1 in 1300-something to hatch a shiny using the method in Gen V. Still pretty low, but much better than 1 in over 8000.

Fun fact: Gen V games are programmed so that Reshiram, Zekrom, and Victini can never be encountered shiny.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Can anyone confirm whether its possible to get a legit shiny Kyurem? I know that Victini, Reshiram and Zekrom are impossible but I've heard shiny Kyurem might be possible. I kinda want to soft-reset for one because I've been waiting for a sweet Ice legendary forever... but it would suck to do it for like 50 hours and then turn out it's not possible.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I never got the appeal of SRing for shiny legendaries. If you're going to go to such lengths, you might as well generate one with AR or Pokesav.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
AR/Pokesav shinies won't pass a legality checker. Sometimes you just want something awesome without using a cheat I guess. I usually don't at all and I made a bunch of hacks in Diamond before I discovered battling on Shoddy, but Kyurem might be worth a little bit of resetting while I do other stuff. *shrug*

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Pokesaved shinies can pass legality stuff if you generate it right, I know that.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Just found a shiny Mienfoo.
So blue.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it feels great to obtain one and see those sparkles

best feeling ever is catching a shiny successfully in the safari zone

worst feeling ever is finding a shiny kangaskhan/chansey/beldum/absurdly-hard-to-catch poke in the safari zone

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It feels great to find a legit shiny. If you soft reset for one, you might as well Pokegen.

Enzo

Smash Lord
^umad?
legit means obtaining it without using third-party sources or illegal sources

tl;dr getting legit shinies means using a DS and the pokemon cartridge
also nintendo implemented soft resetting themselves so its still legit

asianaussie

Smash Hero
imo imo is an imo overused term imo

only imo though

soft resetting is forcing a shiny and working absurdly hard for it, whereas i agree with wave in that a 'legit' shiny can be interpreted as one found by accident, since that's THE SPIRIT OF POKEMONS

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Tbh Soft Resetting and breeding are both basically exploiting the RNG system, so if you're going to exploit and **** with the system anyway, you might as well just use AR which does the same thing.

(Not talking about pokésav)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I disagree. the only real RNG abuse is RNGing with seeds/frames, akin to using a night-scope'd, calibrated dart gun for a game of darts in a dark pub. Soft-resetting and breeding are more like hurling darts randomly with your eyes closed to boot, hoping for them to hit a bullseye.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Still you've saved before a legendary encounter/egg hatch, and keep resetting until you get a shiny.

That's still an exploit of the system because eventually you WILL get a shiny at some.

Might as well get an AR, turn on every encounter is shiny, and have fun. It locks the PIDs into shiny generation so technically they're all legit.

Still most shinies look dumb anyway, so I don't really go out of my way to obtain them.

Except for when I soft reset hatched a Beldum, because shiny Metagross is amazing.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Still you've saved before a legendary encounter/egg hatch, and keep resetting until you get a shiny.

That's still an exploit of the system because eventually you WILL get a shiny at some.

Might as well get an AR, turn on every encounter is shiny, and have fun. It locks the PIDs into shiny generation so technically they're all legit.

Still most shinies look dumb anyway, so I don't really go out of my way to obtain them.

Except for when I soft reset hatched a Beldum, because shiny Metagross is amazing.
Locking the PID into shiny will fail a legitimacy checker because the seed value won't match the generated PID. So there will be discrepancies in the data.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
You can always hack a poke to appear legit

I just don't find SR'ing to be fun at all and is boring work

The only SR'ing I do is to find legendaries with good IVs and nature because I can actually use it in competitive play

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
itt: people draw the line different places

RNG abuse is like the poor man's AR. At least that's what it seems like to me.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Pokegen can make legit anything.

Just sayin'

And RNG abuse makes legit Pokemon, AR does not change the codes/SID/PID to fit the data.

Really though, you can use Pokegen to create a 100% legit Pokemon. It's quite easy.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Shinies from 3rd gen:

Oddish
Spinda
Slugma
Koffing
Weezing
2 Gastly (lol)
Ninjask - Shedinja (Nincada was the 1st shiny I caught and I used it)

I don't Shiny Hunt. All those were random encounters and through breeding

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

It's not really exploiting a system unless you use a program that can help aid in predicting the PID of the encountered Pokémon after soft-resetting. So soft-resetting is no different than regular encounters. Also, up until Gen V, soft-resetting before receiving an egg did nothing, as the PID of the Pokémon in the egg was already set the moment the old man was holding it. In Gen V, you can soft-reset for eggs, but I prefer mass hatching anyway. Also, if you've ever heard of the Masuda Method, it makes hatching shiny Pokémon easier, and in Gen V, they increased the odds to 1 in 1300-something. In fact, the Masuda Method was how I got several of my shinies, including two Ralts, a Beldum, and a Charmander.

Also, making all encounters into shiny Pokémon will not make the shiny legit, as their PID will not match. All you do is set the shiny flag to "on", causing any PID to appear shiny, including PIDs that are not supposed to be shiny. I hear said shinies revert to their normal colors when placed in a PC box (unless the PID is genuinely a shiny one), but I'm not sure about that.

You can always hack a poke to appear legit

I just don't find SR'ing to be fun at all and is boring work

The only SR'ing I do is to find legendaries with good IVs and nature because I can actually use it in competitive play
^ This.

Pokegen can make legit anything.

Just sayin'

And RNG abuse makes legit Pokemon, AR does not change the codes/SID/PID to fit the data.

Really though, you can use Pokegen to create a 100% legit Pokemon. It's quite easy.
I know about Pokégen, and I have been thinking about using it, but it requires sticking your game in an AR/other device (I know Pokégen supports AR), and I don't think I want to risk any harm to my game... unless I get another copy as a sort of backup. Even then, I don't own an AR, so I'll have to do things legit anyway, and I'm too lazy at the moment to go to a GameStop to buy an AR as well as a second Gen V game.

tl;dr: ^ This.

M.K

Level 55
"legitmate" isn't supported under the "IMO" clause.
A shiny is legitmate if it's random-encountered, chained, soft-resetted, or Matsuda Method'd. That's what "legitmate" is.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Actually, "legitimate" is "conforming to the law or to rules: 'his claims to legitimate authority'". That's a definition that some random Pokemon fan came up with.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
"legitmate" isn't supported under the "IMO" clause.
A shiny is legitmate if it's random-encountered, chained, soft-resetted, or Matsuda Method'd. That's what "legitmate" is.
You're right.

Some people tend to get "legit" and "legal" mixed up. "Legit" is basically what
Meta-Kirby said. "Legal" encompasses the definition of "legit", but also encompasses Pokémon that are - for lack of better terms - hacked, but done so within legal reason where their PID matches with the Secret Trainer ID to be made shiny, as well as match up with the IVs, Nature, Ability, etc..

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So if everyone here isn't against Pokégen, why don't they just use it?

I only don't use it for the sole reason that back when I did battle reguarly on wifi, people would constantly want to inspect my pokémon etc and try to see if they were hacked.

Of course, there is no way to really tell, but people will also take good IVs as a sign of hacking, so it's kinda :(

Top Bottom