• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Pressure practice

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
So, at the moment I'm really bored and I wanna step up my shield pressure, how can i practice shield pressure when i'm alone? I do not own an action replay to use like an infinite shield code or something.

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
put starmen on high and then train on the computer or 2nd player when they are invincible because its the same timing as hitting a shield

Lovage

Smash Hero
i just combo lv.1's/practice movement and then when they respawn i nair shine them a few times while they're invincible

then combo em some more

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
2 controllers
Infinite time
Opponent: jigglypuff
Hold triggers with toes on 2nd player
Shield pressure ad infinitum
shield break: jiggs dies, respawn, start over.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Training mode, use starmen on opponents (if you don't use c-stick or if you have the c-stick hack like me)

If not, vs mode with starmen on high. Fun practice.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Handicap is really easy to use. Just put yourself on 1 and the CPU on 9. Some characters will stay still to a higher percent than others.

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, handicap 1 for you, and handicap 9 for level 1 comp, + 0.5 Damage Ratio is the best .

iode

Smash Cadet
Handicap is really easy to use. Just put yourself on 1 and the CPU on 9. Some characters will stay still to a higher percent than others.
This.
Set 2P to captain falcon, in addition to above, also set damage ratio to 0.5. The captain falcon won't begin to move until around 300%. Have fun.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I agree with Erayz. I guess it's not "Shield pressure" but doing that made me tremedously faster at nair>shine.

When your practicing make sure your mixing up your timing with your aerials. Preferably as late as possible.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I think Starmen are the best. You don't need to worry about damage, it's the shield timing all day long.

Brookman

Smash Hero
You can't practice shield pressure on your own, per se. You can practice short hopping, fast falling, and L-canceling though.

;]

Bones0

Smash Legend
Not sure what you're talking about. Everyone uses muscle memory for everything from short hopping to multi-shining.

Brookman

Smash Hero
*attempts to wavedash without relying on muscle memory*

*triangle jumps because I air dodged once I saw myself leave the ground*
you bad.

also yes, mahie, I was always able to short hop and fast fall and l cancel vs shields because I understood the mechanics involved in all three of those tricks. nailing the fast fall is the most important part. You have to recognize the game has lag where you are unable to input the fast fall and then play around that. If you try too hard to rely on muscle memory you are more likely to miss the timing because the game wlil not always act in accordance with your muscle memory.

This is definitely a good reason why you see people get trapped in their shine during pressure. Hitting the shield with the shine causes literal frames of lag which makes certain frames last longer (the shine, which can be jumped out of as soon as frame x, when connecting to the shield frame y or becomes the first actionable frame due to hit lag)

someone, feel free to confirm or deny this statement.

here is footage of great shield pressure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lPb8fOkZI&t=15m15s

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
i never said anything about muscle memory, but certain machanics, such as multishines or even wavedashs, rely on musclememory. obviously, i won't be able to have the same shieldpressure against say jiggs and bowser, or against tilted shields, etc., which is why i practice on different characters. obviously i will have to mix up my timing, and obviously i won't be able to make the same exact shieldpressure (framewise) on the same oponent, but that doesn't mean that i don't need to practice, because shieldpressure is, like every maneuver in the game, something to be learned, and i benefit from the fact that i can learn it by myself so that i don't have to fail it when i play against someone that i want to do good against.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
I ended up doing that actually, the problem with the handicap is basically that it doesn't feel like a shield at all, and that coms jab you and that is annoying.

Brookman

Smash Hero
who mentioned anything about a handicap??

"...nair shine them a few times while they're invincible..."

that part simulates the shield stun/hit lag you would experience vs. a shield. Just practice the fast fall and really learn that. Then also, don't just l-cancel, shine ASAP after. Try to surprise yourself.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
exactly, the invicibility after a death feels much better than a com with handicaps, which is what i said.
also, i don't just nair/shine, i mix it up with dairs,m bairs, shinecancelled grabs and stuff like that, just to practice all of this different movements.

Mahie

Smash Lord
You should really try starmen Mooo. A few weeks ago I was asking the same question as you and people advised me to do that, and it really is the same thing.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I used to just plug in a second controller and use an elastic to hold down the shield button.

Top Bottom