• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Dropping in Smash 4 - Tutorial/Showcase

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I made this to help show a mechanic that i think will be important in the future.

HERE'S THE VIDEO

What is Shield Dropping?
Shield Dropping allows you to fall through a platform while holding shield, thus adding an extra escape option and adding the option of doing an aerial to punish your opponent

Why Shield Drop?
Normally, you would want to let go of shield to punish your opponent. That takes frames (total amount not verified yet, but I've heard somewhere between 7-14, can someone verify?).

Shield dropping allows you to not let go of shield so you get those extra frames for a punish.

You'll also be able to do an immediate aerial out of shield opposed to having to jump first (jumping takes frames as well).

It also adds an extra escape option/good positioning

How to Shield Drop
While holding shield on a platform you tilt down on the control stick. That's pretty much it, although the tricky part comes with finding the sweet spot on the controller. Try practicing it slowly and speed it up from there. If you spot dodge, you're pressing down too far/quickly. If your shield moves but you stay on the platform, then you're doing doing it too close/slowly.

You can also shield drop from various angles. You can choose to go straight down, slightly left, or slightly right, which will influence the spacing of where you land and where your aerial hits if you choose to do one.

I believe you can also buffer it as at times i was able to just see the shield flash on landing before falling through the platform.

Enjoy.

Top Bottom