• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield dropped platform canceled nair

wonky

Smash Rookie
So this is technically possible. I've only been able to do it at a quarter speed though. You just have to do a shield drop and the moment you get it flick the stick back to neutral and nair. I don't this is physically possible at full speed but maybe you guys can prove me wrong.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Look up a video called the Nair chronicles.
Abate performs this technique regularly to good effect.

On the Hack pack you can put invincible shield on and practice easily. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to start to drop through the platform so I literally flick the control stick lightly and then press Z the instant the drop starts and then Z almost instantly again for the l cancel. Press Z yet again and grab if they are in shield. It's not technically demanding with a little practice! I actually think it's easier to do than most things in the game.

Like. Don't flick the stick back to neutral, just flick it down lightly and it returns to neutral on it's own

Last edited:

wonky

Smash Rookie
Hmm I'm talking about a platform cancel directly out of a shield drop. Are you talking about the same thing? I didn't see it in the video and I've tried to do it many, many times unsuccessfully. I just tried with Z too to no avail. And I can somewhat consistently perform the more difficult techs in this game.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
http://smashboards.com/threads/luigi-trials-video.347163/#post-17572910
It was discussed in this thread. I haven't made any serious attempt to learn it; maybe I will at some point but I have a lot of doubts as to whether this is possible to do with reasonable consistency (or if it is, whether any given player could learn it with practice since it seems to require a significant degree of natural dexterity). I imagine that it's significantly controller-dependent as well.

I don't know if this is even possible to do at all when the shield drop is performed by moving the stick to the side first (which is how I shield drop).

@BlueEG He meant out of a shield drop, not against a shielding opponent.

Last edited:

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Something that's basically the same yet tons more practically doable is to quickly jump immediately after the shield drop and then nair, you just have to sweet spot it to get the platform cancel

Top Bottom